The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: should the movie be an origin story?
Starting from krypton origin story 14 66.67%
is already a world wide celebrated figure 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Godman
Banned User

Default Do you want an origin story or he has been supers and we get flashbacks of the past?

As in how burton did Batman where he had already been bats for at least a year and the people were still getting used to him and telling stories of his existence. Of course superman is more blatant about his operations so he would already be a news paper headliner and kent would be supes already. Or do we want a complete overhaul starting from the planet krypton.

Godman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Superman_200
Superman

Default Re: Do you want an origin story or he has been supers and we get flashbacks of the pa

I think there has not been a great Superman movie that is serious all the way through without camp that happens to be an origin. I would like to see the origin story (which is my favorite) correctly. By correctly I mean treated seriously, without campy jokes or campy villains to ruin the experience and with modern special effects. Christopher Reeve did the best possible job with what he was given but Gene Hackman was too campy as was everyone else in Metropolis and I'd like to forget Otis existed. So definitely, an origin story that establishes him from birth to adulthood.

Treat the character seriously, respectfully and stop with the camp. No disrespect to anyone who is religious but I think the story of (insert here the name of any religious character you would like) would be treated seriously in a movie no matter how impossible it could be. So, I expect the same kind of treatment for a character that is just as fictional (in my opinion) as whatever god, angel, demon, etc. you'd like to name.

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you want an origin story or he has been supers and we get flashbacks of the pa

It is obvious they are going the way of the origin story.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
It is obvious they are going the way of the origin story.
But I think he meant if it will be in chronological order (as it should be in my opinion) or if it will be in flashbacks.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

This is a new take and therefore needs an origin. Simply jumping into a new version of Superman midstream doesn't make much sense at all. I'm not sure why people ever even suggest it.

ElDuderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
This is a new take and therefore needs an origin. Simply jumping into a new version of Superman midstream doesn't make much sense at all. I'm not sure why people ever even suggest it.
Thank you, I have been saying that since the before the Abrams script.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
Astrodust
Side-Kick

I want origin all the way. I'm not crazy about flashbacks.

Astrodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I hope they follow the style of BB. Don't start at the point that everyone expects you to start at (i.e. The Wayne's death, Krypton exploding)... take a different angle, add something new to the franchise.

I am 100% hoping for a non linear status, and I guess that includes flashbacks. But I don't want them to start with Superman already established. I want to see everything that brings him to that decision, and that is the experiences of his life - which don't have to be told in the cliched linear way that most people know.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I hope they follow the style of BB. Don't start at the point that everyone expects you to start at (i.e. The Wayne's death, Krypton exploding)... take a different angle, add something new to the franchise.

I am 100% hoping for a non linear status, and I guess that includes flashbacks. But I don't want them to start with Superman already established. I want to see everything that brings him to that decision, and that is the experiences of his life - which don't have to be told in the cliched linear way that most people know.
If you want to see everything that brings him to the point of Superman, that is still linear whether they throw one Superman scene at the start or not. The story will have been told in a linear way. If they are jumping back and forth, than that is non-linear which I think pulls the viewer out of the story too much. Flashbacks are not necessary for this type of film. Though some Krypton flashback stuff is expected.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
If you want to see everything that brings him to the point of Superman, that is still linear whether they throw one Superman scene at the start or not. The story will have been told in a linear way. If they are jumping back and forth, than that is non-linear which I think pulls the viewer out of the story too much. Flashbacks are not necessary for this type of film. Though some Krypton flashback stuff is expected.
No, what I want is non linear... like I said, i'd like it if they followed BB's style.

BB started with how Bruce became afraid of Bats, then flipped to him in prison, then later we saw how he ended up there, and in between that and his training with Ra's we got the Wayne's death scene.

MOS could start with so many different interesting things. I want to see Jor-el and Lara sending baby Kal-el off. I want to see the Kents finding him. I want to see him figuring out he's an alien and how he deals with it. And I would love to see new things like Clark as a journalist in another country.

But I don't want to see it all in that order.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 08-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, what I want is non linear... like I said, i'd like it if they followed BB's style.

BB started with how Bruce became afraid of Bats, then flipped to him in prison, then later we saw how he ended up there, and in between that and his training with Ra's we got the Wayne's death scene.

MOS could start with so many different interesting things. I want to see Jor-el and Lara sending baby Kal-el off. I want to see the Kents finding him. I want to see him figuring out he's an alien and how he deals with it. And I would love to see new things like Clark as a journalist in another country.

Batman Begins was linear storytelling imo. I don't remember much jumping around at all.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
Batman Begins was linear storytelling imo. I don't remember much jumping around at all.

It breaks down like this.

Time period 1: Bruce as a kid

Time period 3: Bruce's league of shadows training

Time period 1: Bruce as a kid

Time Period 3: Bruce's league of shadows training

Time Period 2: Bruce in his early twenties

Time Period 3: Bruce burning down the league of shadows.

Everything from then on is linear, but the origin is non linear. And that's what I hope they do with MOS, rather than the completely linear story of Superman The Movie.

*\S/T*
Old 08-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

Granted it was my age at the time, and not having great knowledge of how movies worked. But I was confused as hell at all the jumping timelines in BB

I believe in Batfleck
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:

Agreed.

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Granted it was my age at the time, and not having great knowledge of how movies worked. But I was confused as hell at all the jumping timelines in BB
You must hate Memento.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
You must hate Memento.
Inception had me more confused than Memento.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
Inception had me more confused than Memento.
Inception was pretty linear.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #18
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Inception was pretty linear.
Linear yes, but the dream within in a dream, everything was very intricate. I have to watch it again to really understand the whole thing. Memento also took me a couple of viewings to really get it.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #19
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

I'd have preferred to have a first film with almost no Kryptonian presence apart from the knowledge stored in the ship that Kal-El arrives in. Even that I'd have liked to have been treated in the same way as it was in Birthright.

I've probably mentioned this before but I'd have liked to have seen his Kryptonian heritage revealed at the end with a cliffhanger ending which signalled the arrival of Brainiac for the second film in which Krypton is then seen through flashbacks that brought the story up to its destruction.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #20
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

Superman is already a world wide celebrated figure.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:11 AM   #21
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:

Quote:

But are you guys worried that by following such a format, the film will be accused of aping the success of Batman Begins? In which case it'll be nicknamed Superman Begins, and people will see it as merely adapting a successful formula, rather than standing on its own two feet. I want to see a Superman movie that's unique. But I've changed my opinion about the origin and now believe it's integral to a proper reboot.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #22
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
But are you guys worried that by following such a format, the film will be accused of aping the success of Batman Begins? In which case it'll be nicknamed Superman Begins, and people will see it as merely adapting a successful formula, rather than standing on its own two feet. I want to see a Superman movie that's unique. But I've changed my opinion about the origin and now believe it's integral to a proper reboot.
I completely get where your coming from... But it really doesn't bother me.

It is going to have similarities. It's written by the same guy, and the Batman Begins style of origin proved very succesful. People will make their Superman Begins comments.

But it is also a very very different story.

Just because both films have a similar approach to the structure, doesn't mean it will be a 'copy' of Batman Begins.

And even if it is a bit of a mirror in places, it won't bother me if it's a good film because of it.

Superman is what will make it unique.

Not making sure the structure is different to Batman Begins.

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 12-05-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I don't know I keep going back and forth on this.....the reason being though I enjoy finding out as we go, I think it takes you out in some way if we get flashbacks....though I'll keep an open mind

Old 12-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #24
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Leave the Krypton and Smallville scenes as flashbacks and actually start with Clark Kent getting hired by the Daily Planet, the audience already knows Supes origin and plus it gets to the action quicker I know Donner's STM is heralded by fans and I love the movie too but sometimes I find the first 40 minutes or so boring.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #25
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Leave the Krypton and Smallville scenes as flashbacks and actually start with Clark Kent getting hired by the Daily Planet, the audience already knows Supes origin and plus it gets to the action quicker I know Donner's STM is heralded by fans and I love the movie too but sometimes I find the first 40 minutes or so boring.
I see what your what your saying, but from the pics were getting of smallville the oil rig and Russel and Shannon talking about fighting on krypton.....I think it's safe to say it's not gonna be boring...