The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #251
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Default Re: The Video Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
i want that in a game too, though... i want a game that actually stands up to the name Superman
preach it...I enjoyed Superman Returns the video game to an extent, such as the open world, I just wish it were bigger. The graphics were a let down, it looked like a down syndrome version of Brandon Routh. I hated that every few minutes these stupid enemies popped up that you had to fight. I wish they would make a Superman game more along the lines of the last few Spider-Man movie tie in games. Open world yet you get to decide which crimes you focus your attention on. I wish they would go for like a MMO type set up without it actually being MMO. Like say to get from Metropolis to say space you just go to a certain point in the game

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #252
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Metropolis was designed horribly in SR, the graphics were horrible, and it was just a piss poor experience to play through.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #253
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Metropolis was designed horribly in SR, the graphics were horrible, and it was just a piss poor experience to play through.
the cars looked ridiculous. Some of the buildings looked ok, the bridges were pretty cool...

Old 08-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #254
TheWatcher
Dapper

Tim Daly and Clancy Brown are musts IMO.

And this is a little off topic but, do you guys think you'll be able to play as the JLA in the next Arkham game or will they just be featured?

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #255
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post

And this is a little off topic but, do you guys think you'll be able to play as the JLA in the next Arkham game or will they just be featured?
I hope so...I can't wait for that Injustice game

Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #256
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
the cars looked ridiculous. Some of the buildings looked ok, the bridges were pretty cool...
From a distance things looked nice, but up close...

But I couldn't expect Metropolis to be detailed and lively looking like Liberty City or Arkham City.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #257
dabilee01
Side-Kick

Quote:
i want to be able to customize absolutely everything there is on Superman... from the cut of his hair to the soles of his boots.
translation: i want to make damn sure that he has his red overwear! and no piping! or scales!

dabilee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #258
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabilee01 View Post
translation: i want to make damn sure that he has his red overwear! and no piping! or scales!
translation: i made this post just to piss people off who dont share the same opinion as i do

nice try, but no cigar.

the truth is, i dont mind if the piping is there or not... that's not the point though... the point is i want a game that actually lets me take control of Superman FULLY...

* completely interactive environments. when i fly into a building, i want to go THROUGH the building, not be stopped by it, like in Superman Returns the Videogame. the ability to when i fly, the chance to enter a "slow-mo" mode, if i want to, so i can either fly around the building, or fly through it, and watch the reactions around me as i fly through the structure, and come out the other side in either third person mode, or cinematic mode

* suit unlockables. you can have ANY of the suits that have been made... if it's been in the comics or the movie, you'll be able to wear it once you unlock it or buy it, and then the ability to mix-and-match... even DLC that lets you do even more stuff, like "create your own shield" or something

* random events. you fly around, you hear something happen, and it could be anything: from getting a cat out of the tree, to fighting one of Superman's MANY minor villains

* reputation. the more damage you do, the more bad rep you get for it. depending on how much damage you do to the city during a battle, the populace is going to react differently, and you have to prove to them that you're not evil.

* overall appearance change from choices (kinda like the Fable series). the choices you make also change the way you look on the outside. you make good choices, your look "clean", and the suit/face stay "clean". you make bad choices, the suit and the face start to become dirty, or gritty, giving the appearance of a darker version of Superman, just like Superman III, and on that point, be able to do what they did in SIII, and split the two apart, have them fight it out, have Clark win, and go to a cut-scene, and you see Clark have that beautiful shirt rip

* ENTIRE STORY. never in a Superman video game do we get to actually see the destruction of Krypton, him traveling to earth, etc... i want to see these things in cut-scenes, maybe even do a little interaction as Jor-El: talk to Lara, talk to the Kryptonian Elders, look at Brainiac, and actually push the button that sends Kal-El to earth.

* crowd interaction. I want Metropolis to be COMPLETELY interactive, not just so-so interactive... i want to go INTO the Daily Planet, or travel to The Kent Farm, or go into a multiple number of buildings, and bust some drug dealers or thugs or something. An environment that is fully interactive around Superman, and can give us a REAL sandbox game, filled with multiple side-quests

* travel beyond Earth. i want to be able to go INTO space, hover above Metropolis, and turn on the super hearing, and actually listen to the conversations, and if there's a problem, lock onto it, and travel down in a red-blue blur. i want to be able to travel to the moon.

* playable Clark Kent. rarely do you see this today. I want to be able to play as Clark Kent whenever i want, do stories, try and live the human life, everything that Clark does... even see what happens when i stay as Clark for a long time, and watch people react when Superman doesn't show up for a long time

* weather changes. I dont want Metropolis to simply just stay sunny all the time... i want to see it turn to night, get dark and stormy, an d all the weather changes in the game

* DLC/extras/unlockables. this is a HUGE one to me. i wan to have the opportunity to see everything movie wise when it comes to superman, and i do mean everything: screen tests, failed attempts, unused scripts, unused suit concepts, everything... have action sequences that you can either unlock or buy that lets you fight against doomsday, or the computer in SIII, or Nuclear Man from SIV, or re-enact scenes from the movies, like rescuing Lois for the first time in STM, or fighting Nuclear Man on the Moon. Change the look of Jor-El, Lara, Krypton, Martha and Jonathan, Lex, Lois, Lana depending on if you want to see pre crisis, post crisis, Donner, STAS, or Snyder versions

i want a GREAT Superman video game, gosh darnit!... we've never had a great Superman video game

Last edited by Super Kal; 08-13-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Super Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #259
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I don't know if we've ever even had a good superman game. And the piping thing was funny, don't know why anyone would be pissed off about it.

I do think that when you have a fully customizeable character, it's no longer a parcticular character. I mean... if I have a superhero in red and gold with a J-symbol on his chest... is that Superman? I feel you on having access to uniforms from movies and shows and the comics and such, though, that's cool.

The rest of the stuff on your list, yes please. Some of it I probably won't care too much for, but wouldn't mind having it around, but stuff like crowd interaction and flying through (or knocking people through) buildings is a definite must. I think that slo-mo idea is pretty cool.

I think what'd be most important for me in a Superman game is the combat system. It should be pretty epic, as far as knockbacks, and shockwaves and stuff. It should make you feel like the strongest thing on the planet, hopefully without being too QTE driven or whatever.

Here are some games I would use as inspiration for designing a Superman Game:

- InFamous Series Super powered guy in a modern (somewhat) functioning city, he travels freely and uses his powers freely, and every once in a while gets jumped by some bad guys that can hurt him. I think this is a pretty good start, especially for a lower powered Superman.
- Hulk: Ultimate Destruction This really kinda set the tone for Superstrength, throwing stuff around, weaponizing stuff, etc. Just a really solid romp that Superman should be capable of.
- Prototype Series An extension of the Hulk:UD ideas (same developer), haven't played it myself, but definitely using lots of powers and feeling really strong.
- Batman: Arkham Series Obviously the new golden standard in superhero gaming. What they did was, among other things, find the few things that make people love the hero, and put them in video game format, and focus on them until they were awesome. Then, once those core things are in, slowly add in the stuff that people like about the hero. Also, just the general quailty and care spent on it, and having a great story, with a great villain that uses all their biggest villains and the TAS voice cast, is just great stuff.
- Spider-Man 2 Movie Game Still the golden standard in superhero free roam, imho. The thing was: web swinging. It was incredibly fun and interesting. Easy to do, hard to master. Superman's flight should be like that. Also, a wide open city, people to save, namby pamby errands to run, points of interest. There's a reason why this thing worked so well, take those things and expand them in a way that later entries into the genre failed to do.
- Superman Returns Ultimately a bad game with a lot of good ideas. Supersonic flight is one to take, that helped make flying fun. Open world boss encounters as well. Very good stuff. The rest of the game fell far short of its target, so you can pretty much ignore it.
- Shadow of the Colossus This is a great game that is able to be cinematic without requiring cutscenes. It's also a game that is composed completely of travel and boss battles, and I think something like this would be much better than putting Superman against waves of thugs with kryptonite, magic and superlasers. Certainly there are a few supervillains that can field soldiers that can give superman trouble, but trying to act like everyone can would probably end up quite silly quite quickly.
- Asura's Wrath This is basically a giant QTE with minigames mixed in. While not necessarily the ideal approach to a Superman game, there's a lot of good stuff here as far as showing immense power, a lot of it over the top, but still a good framework, especially for demonstrating a maxed out uber Superman.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #260
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I do think that when you have a fully customizeable character, it's no longer a parcticular character. I mean... if I have a superhero in red and gold with a J-symbol on his chest... is that Superman?
i didn't say that, though... there are comic book suits that dont have that . I mean, even SUperman The Man of Steel for Xbox had an Ed McGuinness design from krypton that had a simple pentagon shape on the chest... my point was to keep it within the boundaries of the suit design... since Superman never wore a "J", you wont be able to put a "J" on the shield... common sense

Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #261
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
translation: i made this post just to piss people off who dont share the same opinion as i do

nice try, but no cigar.

the truth is, i dont mind if the piping is there or not... that's not the point though... the point is i want a game that actually lets me take control of Superman FULLY...

* completely interactive environments. when i fly into a building, i want to go THROUGH the building, not be stopped by it, like in Superman Returns the Videogame. the ability to when i fly, the chance to enter a "slow-mo" mode, if i want to, so i can either fly around the building, or fly through it, and watch the reactions around me as i fly through the structure, and come out the other side in either third person mode, or cinematic mode

* suit unlockables. you can have ANY of the suits that have been made... if it's been in the comics or the movie, you'll be able to wear it once you unlock it or buy it, and then the ability to mix-and-match... even DLC that lets you do even more stuff, like "create your own shield" or something

* random events. you fly around, you hear something happen, and it could be anything: from getting a cat out of the tree, to fighting one of Superman's MANY minor villains

* reputation. the more damage you do, the more bad rep you get for it. depending on how much damage you do to the city during a battle, the populace is going to react differently, and you have to prove to them that you're not evil.

* overall appearance change from choices (kinda like the Fable series). the choices you make also change the way you look on the outside. you make good choices, your look "clean", and the suit/face stay "clean". you make bad choices, the suit and the face start to become dirty, or gritty, giving the appearance of a darker version of Superman, just like Superman III, and on that point, be able to do what they did in SIII, and split the two apart, have them fight it out, have Clark win, and go to a cut-scene, and you see Clark have that beautiful shirt rip

* ENTIRE STORY. never in a Superman video game do we get to actually see the destruction of Krypton, him traveling to earth, etc... i want to see these things in cut-scenes, maybe even do a little interaction as Jor-El: talk to Lara, talk to the Kryptonian Elders, look at Brainiac, and actually push the button that sends Kal-El to earth.

* crowd interaction. I want Metropolis to be COMPLETELY interactive, not just so-so interactive... i want to go INTO the Daily Planet, or travel to The Kent Farm, or go into a multiple number of buildings, and bust some drug dealers or thugs or something. An environment that is fully interactive around Superman, and can give us a REAL sandbox game, filled with multiple side-quests

* travel beyond Earth. i want to be able to go INTO space, hover above Metropolis, and turn on the super hearing, and actually listen to the conversations, and if there's a problem, lock onto it, and travel down in a red-blue blur. i want to be able to travel to the moon.

* playable Clark Kent. rarely do you see this today. I want to be able to play as Clark Kent whenever i want, do stories, try and live the human life, everything that Clark does... even see what happens when i stay as Clark for a long time, and watch people react when Superman doesn't show up for a long time

* weather changes. I dont want Metropolis to simply just stay sunny all the time... i want to see it turn to night, get dark and stormy, an d all the weather changes in the game

* DLC/extras/unlockables. this is a HUGE one to me. i wan to have the opportunity to see everything movie wise when it comes to superman, and i do mean everything: screen tests, failed attempts, unused scripts, unused suit concepts, everything... have action sequences that you can either unlock or buy that lets you fight against doomsday, or the computer in SIII, or Nuclear Man from SIV, or re-enact scenes from the movies, like rescuing Lois for the first time in STM, or fighting Nuclear Man on the Moon. Change the look of Jor-El, Lara, Krypton, Martha and Jonathan, Lex, Lois, Lana depending on if you want to see pre crisis, post crisis, Donner, STAS, or Snyder versions

i want a GREAT Superman video game, gosh darnit!... we've never had a great Superman video game
finally something we can see eye to eye on. I want to have the option to use multiple suits, have the weather change and stuff like that. I'd love to play as multiple people like you said...start the game off as Jor-El and send Kal-El to Earthand then go through training in the Fortress as Clark and become Superman and be able to switch from Clark to Superman and back again. There is so much they could do but will they? I doubt it

Old 08-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #262
TheWatcher
Dapper

I want a lot of skins. That's a must for Superhero games IMO.

-Christian Bale
Old 08-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #263
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
i didn't say that, though... there are comic book suits that dont have that . I mean, even SUperman The Man of Steel for Xbox had an Ed McGuinness design from krypton that had a simple pentagon shape on the chest... my point was to keep it within the boundaries of the suit design... since Superman never wore a "J", you wont be able to put a "J" on the shield... common sense
So you don't want to design your own shield, but to use already created shield designs? And you don't want a fully customizable superman, you want customization within certain limits. I misunderstood what you were requesting.

What Villains/Boss Battles would you guys want to have in the game? And don't say "all of them" because there's like 100+ and some of them suck pretty badly.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #264
TheWatcher
Dapper

Definitely Zod and Metallo.

-Christian Bale
Old 08-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #265
Marvel Spider
Amazing.

I kinda think there won't be a game for this. I may be wrong, though.

Marvel Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #266
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
So you don't want to design your own shield, but to use already created shield designs?
yes.
Quote:
And you don't want a fully customizable superman, you want customization within certain limits.
yes and no... the only "limit" that should be within a game for a customizable Superman suit is the limit to where you can go with the Golden Age/Bronze Age/Iron Age/Modern Age/movie Superman suits.

let me explain:
example- you have the choice to give your superman suit a belt or not. if you want to give him a belt, you can have the ability to choose how low or high that belt can go around his waist, and how big you want the belt to be, and the color of the belt...

if not a belt, then you have the choice to use something else that has been used in the comics and movies, and be able to change the color of it as well, within a moral limit of course.

Quote:
I misunderstood what you were requesting.
that's alright

Quote:
What Villains/Boss Battles would you guys want to have in the game? And don't say "all of them" because there's like 100+ and some of them suck pretty badly.
i want to see the major storyline that would feature the movie's villains and also a few minor villains to pick up for action, and for a more classic game-

i ALSO want to see many minor storylines with a variety of Superman's many villains- i want this game to have an active environment. i would like to, while have a main storyline, have random respawning side-quests and minor storylines that can keep people interested and entertained long after the main storyline is done, so that the game can keep you coming back for more

Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #267
TheWatcher
Dapper

Alternate skins

First appearance

New Frontier

Classic suit

New 52

Superman the Animated series

-Christian Bale
Old 09-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #268
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

This should be as good as Batman games and the Amazing Spider-Man game

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #269
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
yes and no... the only "limit" that should be within a game for a customizable Superman suit is the limit to where you can go with the Golden Age/Bronze Age/Iron Age/Modern Age/movie Superman suits.
Oh, cool.

Quote:
let me explain:
example- you have the choice to give your superman suit a belt or not. if you want to give him a belt, you can have the ability to choose how low or high that belt can go around his waist, and how big you want the belt to be, and the color of the belt...

if not a belt, then you have the choice to use something else that has been used in the comics and movies, and be able to change the color of it as well, within a moral limit of course.
I see, so basically a mix and match with all the comics costumes.

What about colors, do you think we should be able to change the colors of Superman's costumes? The shade of Blue, or use colors from the Red Son outfit? What happens if I want the top from Superman: Blue and the bottoms from Superman Returns? Just curious how you would handle it.

Quote:
i want to see the major storyline that would feature the movie's villains and also a few minor villains to pick up for action, and for a more classic game-

i ALSO want to see many minor storylines with a variety of Superman's many villains- i want this game to have an active environment. i would like to, while have a main storyline, have random respawning side-quests and minor storylines that can keep people interested and entertained long after the main storyline is done, so that the game can keep you coming back for more
That's cool... what do you think about the endgame from the Arkham Games, where the side story that keeps going after the end of the game is the Riddler clues. Say it was like 100 Brainiac clues or something, would that be enough for a Superman game?

Old 09-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #270
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
I see, so basically a mix and match with all the comics costumes.

What about colors, do you think we should be able to change the colors of Superman's costumes? The shade of Blue, or use colors from the Red Son outfit? What happens if I want the top from Superman: Blue and the bottoms from Superman Returns? Just curious how you would handle it.
definitely... what would customization be without being able to mix and match the colors?

Quote:
That's cool... what do you think about the endgame from the Arkham Games, where the side story that keeps going after the end of the game is the Riddler clues. Say it was like 100 Brainiac clues or something, would that be enough for a Superman game?
meh, i have Arkham City, and im not fond of those trophy side missions... got bored doing those things really quick. i would rather have it more based on how Skyrim has it: side quests pop up from minor characters, either start out as Clark or Superman, save the day, but do it different than skyrim: have an animation showing the Daily Planet paper write about it, in some heroic music or something... so many things can be done in the side quests

Old 09-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #271
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac-Master View Post
I kinda think there won't be a game for this. I may be wrong, though.
You are probably right. They are having rocksteady work on a batman game featuring the justice league, something tells me that will be a testing ground for all the other characters.

Superman is not an easy game to pull off. But I'm surprised they haven't attempted wonder woman given that they seem to be taking away her flight powers so it would be easier to make a game out of.

solidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #272
the last son
Side-Kick

Superman returns is one of the worst games I've ever played. It's just as bad as Superman 64. Ok maybe not that bad but it is absolutely right there with it. It's awful. The gameplay is just atrocious. I mean unplayable. That game is stuck under my tv somewhere collecting scratches and dust. It's really not worth 1 dollar. I can play any game. You should see my collection. Horrible games all over but Superman reurns is the worst 360 game ever made and top 5 worst I've ever played.

I'm really looking forward to playing Injustice Gods amongst us. I really hope someone can come along and give Superman the arkham treatment where you get to use all your powers and just have a blast playing it, with a great story. Great acting, graphics, gameplay and just fun to play. I doubt we will ever get that.

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #273
superman2090
Side-Kick

Couldn't they do a Dragon Age or Skyrim style game for Superman? I wouldn't necessarily want the rpg style, but the story flow in an open world with main quests and side quests. You could chase down a story as Clark, using your powers to discover hidden files. Some missions could take place on other planets. I could see a nice mix of KOTOR (the original game not the mmo), dragon age, skyrim, Reckoning, etc.

superman2090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #274
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post

For a Superman game, absolutely we need Daly & Brown, having the original animated voices worked wonders for the Arkham games, it would do the same for Supes.

In the next Arkham game though I highly doubt will be able to play as the JLA, maybe one or 2 characters as later on DLC (like Robin in Arkham City) but thats it.

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
N7 Joseph Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #275
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

to all Xbox 360 users, who else here is hoping they release some Man Of Steel themed avatar options like having your avatar dress up in the Man Of Steel suit

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
N7 Joseph Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote