The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 08:48 PM   #51
TheDragonator
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,287
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

That is possibly the dumbest theory ever.

If he's publicly recognized, dressing up as Clark Kent at all is completely pointless. He might as well be Superman 24/7 and never take the damn suit off.

TheDragonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #52
Rowsdower!
Hmmmmm.
 
Rowsdower!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Delta City
Posts: 15,036
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

I was thinking about this too and I actually think it could work in the way that Thor did away with the Donald Blake character, Iron Man eliminated Tony's secret identity at the end, and Green Lantern was recognized by pretty much everyone he knew. The problem is, while it might make for a better movie, I'm not so sure it would work here since the Clark Kent character is so iconic and while the whole "using glasses to hide your identity" think is ridiculous, it's something that's been so prevalent in Superman stories that I'm not sure changing it is a good idea because like someone said, it could piss people off like that horrid Abrams script.

__________________
Once again, folks. The DC Cinematic Universe is not about Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman or any of that. It's about HAIR. Here's the lineup to be announced at Comic Con.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #53
Kurosawa
Banned User
 
Kurosawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth
Posts: 9,485
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Superman couldn't handle his duties without having the escape of Clark Kent. Only as Clark can he walk among people as an equal-and unlike Tony Stark or Thor, Superman WANTS to spend time with people as an equal.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #54
ElDuderino
Side-Kick
 
ElDuderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
Smallville Clark (whatever that means, is that the guy who eats cake with his parents while whining about not being able to defeat Lex Luthor?) = Superman

No need to make this overly complicated and keep in mind that the whole Smallville chapter should be over the moment Superman moves to Metropolis, it's only the cradle of a hero. The only remnants of this time might be Lana Lang (and Pete Ross... and Lex, perhaps).
Smallville Clark is the guy he was up until his early 20s. The guy he grew up being. That IS HIM. You don't just reach the age of 24 and then become someone else. You're that person for the rest of your life. It's how you were raised and how you grew up and how you learned about the world, developed tastes, mannerisms, peccadilloes, etc.

ElDuderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:24 PM   #55
Kurosawa
Banned User
 
Kurosawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth
Posts: 9,485
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
Smallville Clark (whatever that means, is that the guy who eats cake with his parents while whining about not being able to defeat Lex Luthor?) = Superman

No need to make this overly complicated and keep in mind that the whole Smallville chapter should be over the moment Superman moves to Metropolis, it's only the cradle of a hero. The only remnants of this time might be Lana Lang (and Pete Ross... and Lex, perhaps).
"Smallville Clark" was one of the worst things to ever happen to Superman...I'll be glad to see him gone in the comics.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:43 PM   #56
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason
 
ArmsHeldOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In bed with Norah O'Donnell/Western Mass.
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Smallville Clark is the guy he was up until his early 20s. The guy he grew up being. That IS HIM. You don't just reach the age of 24 and then become someone else. You're that person for the rest of your life. It's how you were raised and how you grew up and how you learned about the world, developed tastes, mannerisms, peccadilloes, etc.
Very well said!

ArmsHeldOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:51 AM   #57
sf2
Side-Kick
 
sf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,886
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

don't care at all if kent the disguise or the real person as long as he has the most screen time and the character is well developed.

don't make it like a movie about lex luthor seeking revenge like previously did or about the battle of krypton continues to the planet earth.

__________________
SUPERMAN RETURNS COMIC STRIPS
The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:10 AM   #58
elgaz
Side-Kick
 
elgaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,710
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

I think getting rid of Superman's secret identity would be a total disaster.

Superman may be alien and have godlike powers, but he's still also very human. He has emotions, insecurities, fears. He's not a robot.

The Clark Kent (Metropolis Kent, not Smallville Kent) identity is his way of coping with that. He needs downtime. He can't be on call 24/7 saving people. He needs time to think, time to feel he's part of humanity and not just this detached guardian who stands watch over everyone.

Having the Clark Kent identity also has numerous practical advantages - instant access to world news in the newsroom, a means to do investigative work without exposing who he is, a way to guage how Superman is perceived by the people on the street, etc.

Whilst your reasons for your theory are sound, I disagree that Clark may be a DP reporter before becoming Superman. I think it will be the other way round. I have a suspicion that Clark will have travelled a lot as a freelance journalist, will return to Smallville and suddenly be faced by Zod/etc. He will become Superman, and then later down the line figure that he needs a dual identity for the reasons I posted above ............... which will lead to him getting a job in the Daily Planet and developed his Metropolis Clark Kent persona. This would explain why we have not yet seen him in any glasses or suits.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:28 AM   #59
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 45,052
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Smallville Clark is the guy he was up until his early 20s. The guy he grew up being. That IS HIM. You don't just reach the age of 24 and then become someone else. You're that person for the rest of your life. It's how you were raised and how you grew up and how you learned about the world, developed tastes, mannerisms, peccadilloes, etc.
Smallville Clark Kent is the guy that grew up and became Superman. The Clark Kent seen by everyone from that point on was the mild-mannered Clark Kent, whose persona he assumes.

Fans see it one of these ways:

Superman/Kal-El - Real person
Clark Kent - Persona

Or...

REAL Clark Kent/Kal-El - Real person
Mild-mannered Clark Kent - Persona
Superman - Extension of Clark Kent/Kal-El

For me, Superman and REAL Clark Kent/Kal-El are pretty much the same personality, so the dual persona is my viewpoint. I love it, it's what makes Superman unique.

__________________
Probably the best speculation piece on Warner Bros' plans for its DC Cinematic Universe: http://www.sixokay.com/2013/11/23/ma...bout-superman/
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:05 AM   #60
Superman_200
Superman
 
Superman_200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 854
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYLENTGuardian View Post
Didn't Marlon Brando do that for Vito Corleone?
He sure did, and a few other actors do this too for parts where they are being aged. I think Russell Crowe did it too for "A Beautiful Mind".

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #61
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,873
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Smallville Clark is the guy he was up until his early 20s. The guy he grew up being. That IS HIM. You don't just reach the age of 24 and then become someone else. You're that person for the rest of your life. It's how you were raised and how you grew up and how you learned about the world, developed tastes, mannerisms, peccadilloes, etc.
Totally agree.

I like seeing Smallville Clark Kent as a person - it makes him relatable. Even though he is not a human, he was raised by humans and has always seen himself as one until he discovers the truth. That is a heavy burden to carry and it's good to see him struggle -- something the movies seem to shy away from.

I personally hope the cutdown on mild-mannered Clark's screen time.

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #62
TruerToTheCore
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth-1
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
I like seeing Smallville Clark Kent as a person - it makes him relatable.
This word should be banned.

How is a guy that has everything (superpowers, career success, family) relatable?

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #63
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,873
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
This word should be banned.

How is a guy that has everything (superpowers, career success, family) relatable?
Because deep down he is a person. He was raised by humans, has lived as a human for most of his life, he has human emotions. Now naturally he does struggle with his human and Kryptonian side but that just makes for great conflict.

If Superman wasn't relatable or if you didn't care about him, you wouldn't be a fan. It's Character Writing 101 and the foundation of good storytelling -- you need to care about your characters, you need to relate to them. If you don't, it's because they are simply bad characters.

It's actually that single minded thinking that "Superman has everything. What's he got to complain about," that's gotten him to where he is with the public. And quite frankly, one of the biggest reasons I'm a fan of him is only because I was a fan since I was kid. Frankly, if find good Superman stories hard to come by. But the ones that I love, are the ones where I relate to him... go figure.

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #64
El Payaso
Banned User
 
El Payaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rubbing your rhubarb.
Posts: 15,263
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
He can't be Superman all the time. Clark Kent allows him a chance to take a break and a live norman human life. Plus, as a reporter, he can fight the good fight through journalism. So both roles can go towards his mission of helping the world.
I agree. And I like the double personality thing. But exactly, why can't he be Superman all the time? I mean, it might be boring, torturing etc, but why exactly it is 'impossible'?



Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_victim View Post
Wasn't Supes trying to be Supes 24/7 part of the Kingdom Come storyline? It's been so long since I read it. Wasn't that what lead him to retirement?
He was kind of Kal-El all the time. As you said he was retired. At the end, Wonder Woman gives him his old Clark Kent glasses, he puts them on and he... becomes human again.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I was thinking about this too and I actually think it could work in the way that Thor did away with the Donald Blake character, Iron Man eliminated Tony's secret identity at the end, and Green Lantern was recognized by pretty much everyone he knew. The problem is, while it might make for a better movie, I'm not so sure it would work here since the Clark Kent character is so iconic and while the whole "using glasses to hide your identity" think is ridiculous, it's something that's been so prevalent in Superman stories that I'm not sure changing it is a good idea because like someone said, it could piss people off like that horrid Abrams script.
I liked when they had Wonder Woman without her Diana Prince doubnle personality in some animated movie. I ignore if she is the same in comic currently though.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Superman couldn't handle his duties without having the escape of Clark Kent. Only as Clark can he walk among people as an equal-and unlike Tony Stark or Thor, Superman WANTS to spend time with people as an equal.
I understand and I porefer it this way. But, as I asked Sage, why exactly Superman can NOT handle his duties witout walking among men? Couldn't he stop crimes and perevent accidents all the same?

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #65
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick
 
Tacit Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,226
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
It's Character Writing 101 and the foundation of good storytelling -- you need to care about your characters, you need to relate to them. If you don't, it's because they are simply bad characters.
Daniel Plainviw is a bad character? What about Jake Lamotta?

Quote:
But the ones that I love, are the ones where I relate to him... go figure.
Did you read All Star Superman? And did you relate to that version of Supes?

Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #66
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,873
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
Daniel Plainviw is a bad character? What about Jake Lamotta?
No. But I can relate to some aspect of them. And to care about a character doesn't mean they have to be a good person. I can care about seeing them succeed or fail. The fact is that I care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
Did you read All Star Superman? And did you relate to that version of Supes?
Yes. I occasionally question my own mortality.


Last edited by Krumm; 09-01-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #67
TruerToTheCore
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth-1
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
It's actually that single minded thinking that "Superman has everything. What's he got to complain about," that's gotten him to where he is with the public. And quite frankly, one of the biggest reasons I'm a fan of him is only because I was a fan since I was kid. Frankly, if find good Superman stories hard to come by. But the ones that I love, are the ones where I relate to him... go figure.
Pre-Crisis: Superman was more of an outsider
Post-Crisis: "Superman"(Clark Kent in a costume) has everything

That's not single-minded thinking it was fact in the last 25 years of Superman. Here's a guy who doesn't feel alien, his parents are alive and super-nice, the women loved him even as Clark Kent, with a successful career. And yet, he failed. That made him a loser.

Seriously, half of the people think Superman is a loser because of that and the other half thinks he's lame because so perfect. Both do not really know **** about the real Superman.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #68
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,873
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
Pre-Crisis: Superman was more of an outsider
Post-Crisis: "Superman"(Clark Kent in a costume) has everything

That's not single-minded thinking it was fact in the last 25 years of Superman. Here's a guy who doesn't feel alien, his parents are alive and super-nice, the women loved him even as Clark Kent, with a successful career. And yet, he failed. That made him a loser.

Seriously, half of the people think Superman is a loser because of that and the other half thinks he's lame because so perfect. Both do not really know **** about the real Superman.
I don't think I'm necessarily disagreeing with you on this point. I'm not say it's single-minded to think that comics portray Superman as having everything, I think it's single-minded to view Superman as a character who is this perfect God that has everything -- as a character who doesn't have human emotions and thereby isn't relatable.

Like I said, I find good Superman stories hard to come by because they treat him as too "super" and too perfect. The ones I like are where he is more flawed, more human, more relatable.

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #69
SuperFerret
Class Act
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 33,565
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

With all the arguing over who's the "real" person, Clark Kent or Superman, you've gotta admit that the glasses are working. Nobody can agree that they're the same guy.

__________________
Faster than a speeding hamster.
-----More powerful than a box of tissues.
----------Able to leap off of tall buildings and hit the ground.
SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #70
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,873
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Ha! Nice.

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #71
Doc Krypton
PhD in Comicology
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 36
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
This word should be banned.

How is a guy that has everything (superpowers, career success, family) relatable?
The protagonist of a story generally should be relatable. It's good writing. It's why so many people enjoy Spider-Man and, to some extent (considering his monetary status), Batman. I have no problem with Superman actually having human problems. It grounds him and makes him more human rather than making him some sort of god, which would defeat all the beliefs that he tries to expound.

Doc Krypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #72
SuperFerret
Class Act
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 33,565
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
This word should be banned.

How is a guy that has everything (superpowers, career success, family) relatable?
Superpowers don't count, first of all. Second, don't assume all of us are unemployed orphans. Third, the details in a life of a character don't need to be like yours to be relatable. All "relatable" means is that you can empathize with them.

__________________
Faster than a speeding hamster.
-----More powerful than a box of tissues.
----------Able to leap off of tall buildings and hit the ground.
SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #73
ElDuderino
Side-Kick
 
ElDuderino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,916
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
Smallville Clark Kent is the guy that grew up and became Superman. The Clark Kent seen by everyone from that point on was the mild-mannered Clark Kent, whose persona he assumes.

Fans see it one of these ways:

Superman/Kal-El - Real person
Clark Kent - Persona

Or...

REAL Clark Kent/Kal-El - Real person
Mild-mannered Clark Kent - Persona
Superman - Extension of Clark Kent/Kal-El

For me, Superman and REAL Clark Kent/Kal-El are pretty much the same personality, so the dual persona is my viewpoint. I love it, it's what makes Superman unique.
Yeah, it's a mixture of the two. I've said it before on here, it's like how every person acts slightly different at their job. They're not someone different. You just have to put on different faces for different reasons. But the whole point is that it's not as black & white as most people put it when they say "Clark is the disguise".

ElDuderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #74
SuperFerret
Class Act
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 33,565
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

He's the same guy at all times. Have you ever seen people at all? Put the same person into different situations and you'll see them consistently act differently but none of those are personas, just varying degrees of expressing certain traits.

__________________
Faster than a speeding hamster.
-----More powerful than a box of tissues.
----------Able to leap off of tall buildings and hit the ground.
SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #75
Rowsdower!
Hmmmmm.
 
Rowsdower!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Delta City
Posts: 15,036
Default Re: What if Clark Kent isn't a disguise?

How about a movie where everyone else knows that Clark is Superman, but HE doesn't know. I don't mean that he naively assumes people won't recognize him behind a pair of glasses. I mean that he literally believes he is two different people.

That would be a new take on Superman.

__________________
Once again, folks. The DC Cinematic Universe is not about Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman or any of that. It's about HAIR. Here's the lineup to be announced at Comic Con.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.