The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Returns

Old 01-06-2014, 12:52 AM   #376
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Default Re: What's So Bad About Superman Returns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
There are more posts. What happened was I wanted to like the movie... I really did, but I didn't really like it, but at the same time I didn't want to trash it. It was the first Superman film in 20 years, so I was incredibly conflicted. I was this way for about a week...I think then I started expressing my true feelings. Yet even then I still didn't want to trash it..lol.
It makes my heart all mushy to know you liked it.

Quote:
Seriously, I don't even really know how to do that. Plus there are way too many threads and posts to find mine or someone else's. I'll leave that to you.
I didn't do anything. Someone else posted the link and your post was right there.

Quote:
Again...feel free. Find as many quotes as you can. I have nothing to hide. Make sure you go back in this thread too...lol
No, I'm more interested in your first posts, before the pressure of the environment made you have second opinions.

Quote:
edit:

Also for the record... You may be El Payaso. I really don't know. There is something strange about you, but I'll say this. If you are him/her... you're bold, and it's not my place to out you. That's what the mods are for.
No, I am not El Payaso. The mods visited and posted in that 'banned members' thread and of course nothing happened. I doubt that Payaso guy lives in my house, city or even country, as you mentioned he was from Europe and I haven't been there at all.

In any case, since you think the mods are for this, I trust you'll be consistent enough to end this little game.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:33 AM   #377
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superark View Post
No one can say you did not try lol.

Btw, your comic strip are great. Good stuff!
Thanks. I didn't get the joke in your first sentence though.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:51 AM   #378
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post

Could you tell? Or will you be dancing around it for three pages again?

Seriously,though,I've got no ax to grind with whoever you are/were/whatever.
I only brought up the Batman gag 'cause I couldn't resist,since I know it's your favorite movie. No harm intended,Senator.

Quote:
How many times have you seen it?

Well,lets see....I saw it 3 times in the theater (wow,kinda find it hard to believe I saw it that many times.But,much like Charl was saying,I was just happy to see Superman on the big screen again after nearly 20 years.)

Then I saw it,I think, twice on DVD when I first got it.The most damning evidence of it being a "meh" film is the fact that I had no desire to see it again for a matter of years.

Then I watched it again just before MOS came out.So I guess my final tally thus far is 6 times.

We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:21 AM   #379
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallo View Post
Amen.

Metallo where have you been?! I have not seen you in the Wrestling Thread in ages!

Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 AM   #380
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
...btw, i simply hate almost all the Lex Luthor scenes, unnecessary, boring and terrible to the character.
Essentially, Singer took Donner’s Lex and dialed back the campiness meter from 10 to around 4. That was an improvement - but we were still saddled with a weak/silly interpretation of the character. When I watch SR nowadays, I’m likely to have my thumb on the FF button for most of the Lex scenes. But I’ve been doing the exact same thing with STM for years.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #381
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
SR is not a perfect movie and has it's own share of missteps, but it is still probably my favorite comic book/superhero movie. I watch it several times a year and still love it.

I think it's good that there is now a Superman movie for everyone to enjoy. You have STM, SR, and now MOS. Each has an appeal to a particular fan and that is great!

My only complaint is fans that continue to waste their energy on something they dislike or hate, whether it is MOS, SR, or anything really. I guess that is their prerogative, though it makes little sense to me.
No movie is perfect, and SR continues that trend, but its a lot more heartfelt and emotional than most blockbuster or CBM's for that matter, and delves more into Superman as a character than what he can do with his powers. I love the main theme of the movie, alienation, and how thats explored, its what keeps me coming back to it even after all these years.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 AM   #382
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Seriously,though,I've got no ax to grind with whoever you are/were/whatever.
I only brought up the Batman gag 'cause I couldn't resist,since I know it's your favorite movie. No harm intended,Senator.
Aw thanks. So, again, if you have no business here, good riddance.

And my favorite movie is The Godfather.

Quote:
Well,lets see....I saw it 3 times in the theater (wow,kinda find it hard to believe I saw it that many times.But,much like Charl was saying,I was just happy to see Superman on the big screen again after nearly 20 years.)

Then I saw it,I think, twice on DVD when I first got it.The most damning evidence of it being a "meh" film is the fact that I had no desire to see it again for a matter of years.

Then I watched it again just before MOS came out.So I guess my final tally thus far is 6 times.
Well, I was more than excited to see Spider-man, not after 20 years, but for the first time on the big screen back in 2002. First viewing and I disliked it, and pretty much everyone else was praising it to no end.

But, much like I told charl, glad to know you actually liked it.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #383
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
It makes my heart all mushy to know you liked it.
lol...I'm glad. When it comes to this movie, I'm sure those are the only type of mushy feelings you are ever going to have since it's a pretty depressing flick.

Seriously though, you can find more quotes like that and even a half-way decent review. I gave the movie a 6 in that poll. That was my "initial" reaction, but I didn't feel excitement. I was very conflicted. It was the first Superman movie in 20 years. It felt disloyal not to like it, but I never went to see it again in the theater and though I did buy it on DVD. I never watched it again. I never wanted to.

Quote:
No, I'm more interested in your first posts, before the pressure of the environment made you have second opinions.
There was no pressure. In fact not liking the movie was dangerous because it could easily get you banned or infracted. The only reflection I've had about SR of late was after watching MOS. I said this in this thread, but the relationship of Superman/Lois/Clark was garbage. For me that is one of the worse parts of the movies.

Quote:
No, I am not El Payaso. The mods visited and posted in that 'banned members' thread and of course nothing happened. I doubt that Payaso guy lives in my house, city or even country, as you mentioned he was from Europe and I haven't been there at all. In any case, since you think the mods are for this, I trust you'll be consistent enough to end this little game.
I don't know who you are, buddy. That counts rather you're El Payaso or not!

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #384
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
lol...I'm glad. When it comes to this movie, I'm sure those are the only type of mushy feelings you are ever going to have since it's a pretty depressing flick.

Seriously though, you can find more quotes like that and even a half-way decent review. I gave the movie a 6 in that poll. That was my "initial" reaction, but I didn't feel excitement. I was very conflicted. It was the first Superman movie in 20 years. It felt disloyal not to like it, but I never went to see it again in the theater and though I did buy it on DVD. I never watched it again. I never wanted to.
You were, in fact, conflicted as you didn't like things in the movie, but, as you said, you "still liked the movie.

Quote:
There was no pressure. In fact not liking the movie was dangerous because it could easily get you banned or infracted. The only reflection I've had about SR of late was after watching MOS. I said this in this thread, but the relationship of Superman/Lois/Clark was garbage. For me that is one of the worse parts of the movies.
Superman/Lois relationship finally made a step forwards.

But yes, Clark was really ignored by Lois. I mean, even in SII she was fond of him.

Quote:
I don't know who you are, buddy. That counts rather you're El Payaso or not!
Right, you don't know who I am.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #385
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
Aw thanks. So, again, if you have no business here, good riddance.
I don't think it's up to you to tell me if I have any "business" here.(particularly since I have been talking about the topic)Could this behavior be what got you allegedly banned in the first place?

Old 01-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #386
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
You were, in fact, conflicted as you didn't like things in the movie, but, as you said, you "still liked the movie.
I have said this before. The movie is not bad. It's just not a good Superman movie. You aren't getting me to say anything I haven't said before by finding words I spoke 7 years ago. Kudos to you though for even finding them!

Quote:
Superman/Lois relationship finally made a step forwards. But yes, Clark was really ignored by Lois. I mean, even in SII she was fond of him.
Senator...like I've said. The relationship in SR does not suit me. It's overly dramatic and not good fare for a Superman movie. Singer made the relationship too complicated. I didn't like it because that's not what I enjoy about the relationship. For me, that part is one of the worst aspects of the movie.

Quote:
Right, you don't know who I am.
I don't even know if you know who you are, but guess what? I don't care either way.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:28 PM   #387
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
I don't think it's up to you to tell me if I have any "business" here.(particularly since I have been talking about the topic)Could this behavior be what got you allegedly banned in the first place?
No, since I haven't been banned.

And no, I'm not telling you that you have no your business here. It was YOU who said "I've got no ax to grind with whoever you are/were/whatever."

So, maybe you need to take 5 and reach an agreement with yourself?

Quote:
I have said this before. The movie is not bad. It's just not a good Superman movie. You aren't getting me to say anything I haven't said before by finding words I spoke 7 years ago. Kudos to you though for even finding them!
I didn't find it as someone else posted that link.

But I don't need to make you say anything. I'm merely seeing what you said when the movie was released.

Quote:
Senator...like I've said. The relationship in SR does not suit me. It's overly dramatic and not good fare for a Superman movie. Singer made the relationship too complicated. I didn't like it because that's not what I enjoy about the relationship. For me, that part is one of the worst aspects of the movie.
What do you enjoy about that relationship.

Quote:
I don't even know if you know who you are, but guess what? I don't care either way.
Yes, that's why you keep bringing that up.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:40 PM   #388
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
I didn't find it as someone else posted that link.But I don't need to make you say anything. I'm merely seeing what you said when the movie was released.
That's the review I gave it. I said very positive things about it. I didn't want to trash it and I never said there aren't any positives to the movie, but when all is said and done. SR did not resonate with me in a good way. That's evident by the fact I never wanted to watch it again and by the fact I'm telling you now that I don't like the movie.

Quote:
What do you enjoy about that relationship.
I love a lot of things about it. I enjoy the banter and rivalry between them as Lois and Clark. I enjoy the dynamic they have. The relationship has had a lot of periods, and for most of my recent memory they have been married; so I enjoyed their married life and how that grounded Superman /Clark and made his motivations a lot more relatable. There are a lot of reasons I like the relationship, but none of those reasons were on display in SR.

Quote:
Yes, that's why you keep bringing that up.
No...you keep bringing it up at this point.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #389
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
That's the review I gave it. I said very positive things about it. I didn't want to trash it and I never said there aren't any positives to the movie, but when all is said and done. SR did not resonate with me in a good way. That's evident by the fact I never wanted to watch it again and by the fact I'm telling you now that I don't like the movie.
I know your opinion has changed. I myself acknowledged so. That's why it's so amazing to read your first opinions and listing everything that's wrong and ending up saying "Dont get me wrong. I really liked this movie and I'll see it again at least two more times." Something happened in between.

Quote:
I love a lot of things about it. I enjoy the banter and rivalry between them as Lois and Clark. I enjoy the dynamic they have. The relationship has had a lot of periods, and for most of my recent memory they have been married; so I enjoyed their married life and how that grounded Superman /Clark and made his motivations a lot more relatable. There are a lot of reasons I like the relationship, but none of those reasons were on display in SR.
Yes. SR started from the point where they can't be together, and yet they try. But in the Donner movies they never were much of rivals, at least not in terms of work. But yes, SR thing was new, as all the classic Lois-not-knowing had been covered in STM and SII.

To me, the rivalry between Lois and Clark worked pecisely because she doesn't know he's Superman.

Quote:
No...you keep bringing it up at this point.
Oh, no. You're the one saying "it's not my place to out you. That's what the mods are for" and then kept bringing the subject. I am merely defending myself from a false accusation.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #390
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
No, since I haven't been banned.

And no, I'm not telling you that you have no your business here. It was YOU who said "I've got no ax to grind with whoever you are/were/whatever."

So, maybe you need to take 5 and reach an agreement with yourself?
I still don't have an ax to grind.If you were banned (again "allegedly") before,I really don't care one way or the other.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #391
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
I know your opinion has changed. I myself acknowledged so. That's why it's so amazing to read your first opinions and listing everything that's wrong and ending up saying "Dont get me wrong. I really liked this movie and I'll see it again at least two more times." Something happened in between.
That's what's so funny. I did want to see it again, but I could never get excited for it. I went to see it opening night and then just didn't go back. I wanted to see it again, but I couldn't and when trying to find a reason to want to see it again I couldn't.

Quote:
Yes. SR started from the point where they can't be together, and yet they try. But in the Donner movies they never were much of rivals, at least not in terms of work. But yes, SR thing was new, as all the classic Lois-not-knowing had been covered in STM and SII.
*shrugs* I didn't like it.

Quote:
To me, the rivalry between Lois and Clark worked pecisely because she doesn't know he's Superman.
That's one aspect of it. It's not the only aspect.

Quote:
Oh, no. You're the one saying "it's not my place to out you. That's what the mods are for" and then kept bringing the subject. I am merely defending myself from a false accusation.
Who is still talking about this now?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #392
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
No movie is perfect, and SR continues that trend, but its a lot more heartfelt and emotional than most blockbuster or CBM's for that matter, and delves more into Superman as a character than what he can do with his powers. I love the main theme of the movie, alienation, and how thats explored, its what keeps me coming back to it even after all these years.
Agreed! In fact I just bought my fourth copy of the film and received it in the mail today. I had to get this DVD cover!

Last edited by Superark; 01-06-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Superark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #393
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Cant see the picture, I am still hoping we get a directors cut one day with all of the deleted scenes put back in along with the RTK scene, I dont care if its 3 hours long I will be buying it.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 01-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #394
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
^Cant see the picture, I am still hoping we get a directors cut one day with all of the deleted scenes put back in along with the RTK scene, I dont care if its 3 hours long I will be buying it.
I think we will eventually, though I have a feeling they'll either wait until the MOS franchise with Snyder and Cavill comes to an end or is over with.

There were several fantastic deleted scenes that could add to the film and give it an even grander scope.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #395
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Thats going to be a long wait unfortunately, I was hoping Singer had been secretly working on it the last year or so. I pointed this out in the SR DC thread but you cant seem to get SR anywere here in Australia, so I was hoping that was a precursor to a DC coming out.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 PM   #396
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
^Thats going to be a long wait unfortunately, I was hoping Singer had been secretly working on it the last year or so. I pointed this out in the SR DC thread but you cant seem to get SR anywere here in Australia, so I was hoping that was a precursor to a DC coming out.
I think WB wants to keep SR as far away from the audience's mind as possible while the current film, interpretation is going on as to not draw any comparisons. Plus, with all of Singer's X-Men business these days, I'm not sure he has the time to focus on a longer cut.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #397
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think WB wants to keep SR as far away from the audience's mind as possible while the current film, interpretation is going on as to not draw any comparisons. Plus, with all of Singer's X-Men business these days, I'm not sure he has the time to focus on a longer cut.
indeed. the film makers, the producer and the director would rather not talk about it and pretend it wasn't existed at all.
SR is just too depressing and helpless for a superman movie... no way out from the bottle neck.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 AM   #398
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
indeed. the film makers, the producer and the director would rather not talk about it and pretend it wasn't existed at all.
SR is just too depressing and helpless for a superman movie... no way out from the bottle neck.
It wasn't that depressing. I mean, it wasn't like Pa Kent encouraged Clark to not save people or killed himself for no reason or Superman had to kill.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:58 AM   #399
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Yeah I think thats the case as well, and after DOFP Singer will be directing another X-Men movie for 2016 and maybe even more after that so who knows.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #400
Superark
The Purveyor of Good

Quote:
indeed. the film makers, the producer and the director would rather not talk about it and pretend it wasn't existed at all. SR is just too depressing and helpless for a superman movie... no way out from the bottle neck.
I do not think that's the case at all. I believe it has more to do with the fact everyone has moved on. There's no reason to revisit Returns when you have taken the character in a new direction and restarted the franchise. WB may have been split on the film due to the BO but I think Singer and his producers are completely happy with the film.

And Superman Returns was not any more depressing than MOS. One of the common complaints I heard from average movie goers was that MOS did not have enough light moments.

Quote:
Yeah I think thats the case as well, and after DOFP Singer will be directing another X-Men movie for 2016 and maybe even more after that so who knows.
I believe it will be several years before we see an alternate cut. Singer pretty much said that the current version was essentially the director's cut and he felt no pressure to make one. It was more of a case that he felt some scenes did not fit, although I think he was talking specifically about the RTK scene.