The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Cavill's Superman costume include the Red Trunks?
The Trunks stay! 101 48.10%
The Trunks gotta go! 48 22.86%
I don't care if the Trunks stay or go! 61 29.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #51
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,842
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
Oy, this regal thing again...I don't know where this idea came from that Superman should be or look regal but it's completely antithetical to the character. Can someone please explain to me what this whole regal Superman thing is all about? HE ISN'T ROYALTY. HE IS NOT A KING. HE DOES NOT ELEVATE HIMSELF ABOVE ANYONE ELSE NOR DOES HE SEE HIMSELF AS A GOD. In fact, drawing any attention to how godlike, perfect, and powerful superman is has been the chief complaint of the character. So someone please explain how making Superman look royal makes any sense.
Not meant to be taken literally, I don’t think. In the context of capes, the general notion is that romantic, dashing heroes like Robin Hood, d’Artagnan or Zorro look “regal” in a cloak/cape.

Dr. is online now  
Old 09-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #52
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,600
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp Blood View Post
i can picture his suit being a kyptonian version of this
Ehh... sorry, not sure if I buy the idea yet. Besides, why would a military scientist be researching Krypton's signs of impending destruction?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #53
camp Blood
For your health!
 
camp Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New jersey
Posts: 4,086
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

just a thought man. and i think if the world is ending military or not your a scientist trying to save your planet

__________________
If they're out there, I'm going to find them, and I'm going to gnaw on their skulls. Because it still hasn't gotten weird enough for me.

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts


camp Blood is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #54
Kurosawa
Banned User
 
Kurosawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: 22,300 miles above the Earth
Posts: 9,485
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
These suffer fromt he same problem as the previous, it's not a reflection on your skill.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but seeing Snyder's design, all these manips... I wish they had just completely reinvented the character. I just don't think anything will come close to the miracle Chris Reeve and Richard Donner pulled off. That movie was just a phenomenon and cemented Superman's popularity for years. It just had this feel good, untouchable quality. Reeve resembled Superman in both look and costume to such a degree that I have yet to see anything conjure that same inspirational feeling of SUPERMAN. The new suit looks cool I guess, but it also looks power-rangers-ey, Faora's duds especially. The movie will look cool, no doubt, but I don't think it'll be enough to modernize Superman to the point that it transcends the genre like the first movie did. I hope it does, but I doubt it. Don't really care if anyone agrees or disagrees. This is just one Superman purist's two cents
Regardless of what they do, recreating the magic of the original movie is not possible. The world and the movie business have changed too much for that to happen. MOS will be summer blockbuster #91897321894, it will come out between one overhyped FX movie and another overhyped FX movie, it will be #1 for a week or two, three if it's really special, then it will finish it's run and come out on Blu Ray and DVD in time for the holidays, just like every other movie. That's the business model now and this movie is product, not art. They all are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp Blood View Post
in my continuum i made jor-el a kryptonian knight so thats where the regalement comes from

but in regular terms i can see jor-el being a high military scientist and needing formal uniform to wear which is the suit and maybe on krypton there is a monarchy and not a democracy
In the classic comics, Jor-El's second career besides science was law enforcement-he was an agent of the KBI and he was a prosecutor.

Kurosawa is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #55
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,600
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Not meant to be taken literally, I don’t think. In the context of capes, the general notion is that romantic, dashing heroes like Robin Hood, d’Artagnan or Zorro look “regal” in a cloak/cape.
Hm, alright I get what you're saying. Just not sure regal is the best term for that though. I'd characterize those as more swashbuckling then regal

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #56
verisimilitude
"Great Shades of Elvis"
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: England
Posts: 125
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Dear God, we almost ended up with this in the comics ... a scrapped new 52 design ...i see gauntlets ... hmmm



Last edited by verisimilitude; 09-02-2011 at 12:53 PM.
verisimilitude is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #57
souperman
Side-Dish
 
souperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: In the can
Posts: 1,210
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

I think the SR suit was the last of it's kind - with trunks. The Donner Suit made for Reeves was at a time of cross over. Not too far from the '50s TV show for the public to expect ultra modern up-dateing - and the film was set in that period which still had a feel for the OLD times so it fit better. (the idea, not the trunks)

I also loved the George Reeve Superman and suit and still have fond memories or it but would not want to see that suit brought back for a MMP.


The SR was at the very end of the generation. It worked ok as a retro look, but you could feel it was a bit "strange" and unnatural in a way, at least as far as I am concerned.


As you all know, the outside trunks were inspired from circus "musclemen" when Shuster/Siegle created the charactor. That image evoked strength to that generation.

Like it or not, we as a culture have moved beyond that.


Being an alien does not give you license to wear your trunks on the outside.,

For Comparison:

The Donner suit: Circa 1978:





The SR suit circa 2006:

looked great "in action" even with all the issues.







I am posting this manip again, little better Version, because I can't stand to see the other shots of Cavill hunched over anymore. Either he has horrible posture or is so musclebound now he can't stand up straight.


Man of Steel circa 2013:




Oh course the first Donner (above) suit should not be confused with the other Donner suit shown below.



Check out the "stag" film of this pic... This should end all discussion about the crotch controversy. (don't worry...or be disappointed, whatever your ilk, it's not dirty)

http://www.maniacworld.com/deer-man.jpg

nuff said.


Last edited by souperman; 09-02-2011 at 01:21 PM.
souperman is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #58
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,600
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Regardless of what they do, recreating the magic of the original movie is not possible. The world and the movie business have changed too much for that to happen. MOS will be summer blockbuster #91897321894, it will come out between one overhyped FX movie and another overhyped FX movie, it will be #1 for a week or two, three if it's really special, then it will finish it's run and come out on Blu Ray and DVD in time for the holidays, just like every other movie. That's the business model now and this movie is product, not art. They all are.
I do agree that this movie is 100 percent product, but I disagree that film in general or a given genre is untranscendable. Donner had no idea the film was going to be the hit that it was, nor did Lucas when he made star wars. A movie's greatness is largely chance. However you can influence that chance by the proper combination of risk taking and story development.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
In the classic comics, Jor-El's second career besides science was law enforcement-he was an agent of the KBI and he was a prosecutor.
Hahaha didn't know this

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #59
souperman
Side-Dish
 
souperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: In the can
Posts: 1,210
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

And talking about hair... is this 2011-2013, or 1950. Cavill can easily guest star on Mad Men with that hair do.

(still works for Superman though, I think)


Last edited by souperman; 09-02-2011 at 01:14 PM.
souperman is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #60
Logan's Lady
.
 
Logan's Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 26,101
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
I can't believe I'm saying this, but seeing Snyder's design, all these manips... I wish they had just completely reinvented the character. I just don't think anything will come close to the miracle Chris Reeve and Richard Donner pulled off. That movie was just a phenomenon and cemented Superman's popularity for years. It just had this feel good, untouchable quality. Reeve resembled Superman in both look and costume to such a degree that I have yet to see anything conjure that same inspirational feeling of SUPERMAN. The new suit looks cool I guess, but it also looks power-rangers-ey, Faora's duds especially. The movie will look cool, no doubt, but I don't think it'll be enough to modernize Superman to the point that it transcends the genre like the first movie did. I hope it does, but I doubt it. Don't really care if anyone agrees or disagrees. This is just one Superman purist's two cents
I agree with you... couldn't have worded it better myself.

Logan's Lady is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #61
Sabaoth
Master
 
Sabaoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 955
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Though I'm sure that this has been discussed a lot elsewhere, but I haven't been able to keep up; I'm just curious:

Based on all of the complains and criticisms that the costume designs for Superman has gotten from films like SR and Tim Burton's approach, especially for them not being "faithful" or something to that effect, why is that a majority of fans seem to be more open to his design when it's perhaps one of the boldest designs for the costume period?
Because it WORKS.
When you take a look at any of the pictures of Cavill in the new suit, you KNOW you are looking at Superman.
And you know RIGHT AWAY.
I remember the first publicity shots of Brandon in the suit looked very awkward. It looked like a man in a Superman costume. It took time for Brandon's Superman to "Work" for me. I just wasn't able to automatically accept his look as Superman immediately. It took time.
(And I love Brandon Routh and Superman Returns.)
But with Cavill in THIS suit, I IMMEDIATELY recognized him as Superman.
They went with this design because they KNEW it would WORK and now we know that it does and they were right.
This new costume is the right suit for this Superman.

__________________
IN GOYER WE TRUST
Sabaoth is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #62
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,600
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
This new costume is the right suit for this Superman.
Oh it is? For a fact? Okay cool i wasn't sure. That's a relief. Close thread.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #63
darknight7
Side-Kick
 
darknight7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,024
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
Oy, this regal thing again...I don't know where this idea came from that Superman should be or look regal but it's completely antithetical to the character. Can someone please explain to me what this whole regal Superman thing is all about? HE ISN'T ROYALTY. HE IS NOT A KING. HE DOES NOT ELEVATE HIMSELF ABOVE ANYONE ELSE NOR DOES HE SEE HIMSELF AS A GOD. In fact, drawing any attention to how godlike, perfect, and powerful superman is has been the chief complaint of the character. So someone please explain how making Superman look royal makes any sense.
I didn't realize people would get so bent out of shape over this fact, so here's my explanation (and I'm not a super religious person by any means, I just know my facts when it comes to this):

Royal blue is the color of royalty to welcome the coming of a king. In Christian art, royal blue can also symbolize the night sky in which the star appeared to the Three Wise Men to announce the birth of Jesus.

Red is the most emotionally intense color, red stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing. It is also the color of "LOVE".
Courage and sacrifice:
Red is used as a symbol of "COURAGE and SACRIFICE", as in blood spilt in sacrifice or courage in the face of lethal danger


Superman was based on Jesus. It is obvious, and I'm pretty sure it is a fact. 2 young Jewish Canadian men came up with the idea of the only son coming from the stars to be earth's savior

Jor-El (God)
Clark Kent (Christ King)
Jonathan Kent (Joseph)
Martha Kent (Mary)
Lex Luthor (Lucifer)

Not to mention one of the reasons (themes) of Lex's hatred for Superman is that he thinks Superman displays himself as a god.

And he does, but not intentionally. A red cape is a sign of royalty, you see it in classical paintings and modern pop culture costumes. Type in king cape, the 2 colours that pop up are red and blue.

Superman's powers raise him up to seem like a god, but he does not perceive himself that way. Therefore if his costume DID come from Krypton, there is nothing wrong with it looking..."regal" because it is not of his choice. He wears it to represent hope, and the memory of his people while serving as a symbol for earth.

I'm not going to continue about this because it is fact. You asked, and that is why I am explaining. If you don't agree or dislike it, please don't carry this out because it is not what the thread is based on. But I figured if anyone didn't know, then maybe this might help.

Hope it makes sense my friend.

--dk7

__________________
DK7
I saw TDK 10 times in 4 weeks.
darknight7 is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 01:55 PM   #64
souperman
Side-Dish
 
souperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: In the can
Posts: 1,210
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

nicely put.

love the allegory.

souperman is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #65
storyteller
Side-Kick
 
storyteller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,767
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Art is art. Art can be a product. Art has been a product for centuries. You can dislike newer films but that doesn't make them any less art then those from decades ago. Some of the most well know paintings were considered trash and only got respect log after the deaths of their makers. Also its harder for people living in the now to see the current style and hard for people from the past to accept newer styles. But this movie and everything in it is as much art as "From Justin to Kelly" which is as much art as Casablanca and Gone with the Wind.

__________________
------------------------------------------

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #66
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious
 
LibidoLoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,167
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by verisimilitude View Post
Dear God, we almost ended up with this in the comics ... a scrapped new 52 design ...i see gauntlets ... hmmm

It looks similar, it has cuffs and the belt has a similar design to our "belt".


Last edited by C. Lee; 09-02-2011 at 02:25 PM.
LibidoLoca is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #67
Rodrigo90
I'm mad!
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 22,137
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

So what is everyone complaining about exactly?

Is it cause the underwear are gone it and makes his bulge...bulge out at you? Yet nobody has complaints about Spider-Man's crotch having no underwear.

Is it cause the underwear are iconic?

Or cause they helped break up the blue?

__________________
"You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs - hehehehehehehehe "
Joker
Rodrigo90 is online now  
Old 09-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #68
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,842
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight7 View Post
2 young Jewish Canadian men came up with the idea of the only son coming from the stars to be earth's savior...
Both Jewish, yes. One Canadian by birth - who moved to the US as a boy.

Dr. is online now  
Old 09-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #69
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick
 
StarvingArtist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,600
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknight7 View Post
I didn't realize people would get so bent out of shape over this fact, so here's my explanation (and I'm not a super religious person by any means, I just know my facts when it comes to this):

Royal blue is the color of royalty to welcome the coming of a king. In Christian art, royal blue can also symbolize the night sky in which the star appeared to the Three Wise Men to announce the birth of Jesus.

Red is the most emotionally intense color, red stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing. It is also the color of "LOVE".
Courage and sacrifice:
Red is used as a symbol of "COURAGE and SACRIFICE", as in blood spilt in sacrifice or courage in the face of lethal danger


Superman was based on Jesus. It is obvious, and I'm pretty sure it is a fact. 2 young Jewish Canadian men came up with the idea of the only son coming from the stars to be earth's savior

Jor-El (God)
Clark Kent (Christ King)
Jonathan Kent (Joseph)
Martha Kent (Mary)
Lex Luthor (Lucifer)

Not to mention one of the reasons (themes) of Lex's hatred for Superman is that he thinks Superman displays himself as a god.

And he does, but not intentionally. A red cape is a sign of royalty, you see it in classical paintings and modern pop culture costumes. Type in king cape, the 2 colours that pop up are red and blue.

Superman's powers raise him up to seem like a god, but he does not perceive himself that way. Therefore if his costume DID come from Krypton, there is nothing wrong with it looking..."regal" because it is not of his choice. He wears it to represent hope, and the memory of his people while serving as a symbol for earth.

I'm not going to continue about this because it is fact. You asked, and that is why I am explaining. If you don't agree or dislike it, please don't carry this out because it is not what the thread is based on. But I figured if anyone didn't know, then maybe this might help.

Hope it makes sense my friend.

--dk7
Whoa there, this regal thing just took a nose dive into completely different territory. You can't insert your own symbolism and call it fact nor can you not expect ignorance to go unchallenged. Now obviously I didn't know Seigel and Shuster personally...but I can make one hell of an educated guess, speaking as an observant Jew, that two Jewish sci-fi dorks, the sons of European immigrants who likely fleed christian pogroms and the onset of WWII, had Jesus nowhere near their minds when they created Superman. That allegory came much much later. It's documented that Superman was inspired by flash gordon and other pulp heroes at the time, not to mention the refugee parallels. Read about it. Now I won't discuss this further because what I've stated is fact. If you want to continue, PM me.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Batman is Batman because of his bat motif's. Take them away and he's just Manman.

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 09-02-2011 at 03:18 PM.
StarvingArtist is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #70
souperman
Side-Dish
 
souperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: In the can
Posts: 1,210
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

as Seth Meyers would say:

Yes... the underwear breaks up the Blue...

souperman is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #71
Gold Samurai
Side-Kick
 
Gold Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,648
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

If the Superman Returns suit was designed differently Routh could have looked like Cavill's Superman

The difference is in the way they padded the biceps and other areas.

The SR suit just downplayed the muscle definition.



Gold Samurai is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #72
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious
 
LibidoLoca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,167
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Strange, I find Routh much more attractive as Clark than Superman. I don't know why but that hair just looks wrong.

LibidoLoca is offline  
Old 09-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #73
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,842
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
...but I can all but GARANTEE you, speaking as an observant Jew, that two Jewish sci-fi dorks, the sons of European immigrants who likely fleed christian pogroms and the onset of WWII, had Jesus nowhere near their minds when they created Superman.
S&S were both born in 1914 (one in Cleveland, one in Toronto). I'm not sure if their families experienced the same difficulties that beset the next generation.

Dr. is online now  
Old 09-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #74
Rodrigo90
I'm mad!
 
Rodrigo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newcastle, UK
Posts: 22,137
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Strange, I find Routh much more attractive as Clark than Superman. I don't know why but that hair just looks wrong.
It looks STOOPID!

__________________
"You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs - hehehehehehehehe "
Joker
Rodrigo90 is online now  
Old 09-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #75
souperman
Side-Dish
 
souperman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: In the can
Posts: 1,210
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Strange, I find Routh much more attractive as Clark than Superman. I don't know why but that hair just looks wrong.

Trouble is when they force the look of the hair instead of finding one that works for the actor. Hair cuts look good on some and not others. I am hoping Cavills looks better in the film. Stills can be deceiving. I hope...

When are we starting the : Where in the world is Superman's curl thread game?

souperman is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.