The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #26
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Default Re: Hannibal Lecter TV Series in Development

I don't know, between Walking Dead and Breaking Bad, AMC hasn't really shied away from gore.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:13 AM   #27
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

I was thinking about the really hard R-rated things though, like sex and nudity. Although I haven't seen every show on AMC, but they seem to have some stricter guidelines in that area than HBO or FX.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #28
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Mark A. Sheppard is a good choice, in terms of an actor who can come across as "Americanized pan-European," plus sophisticated-yet-creepy, and also realistically available for a TV show.

That he can pass for a young Brian Cox is an added bonus.
I can sort of see it...

But this show does have great potential. Get the right people involved and this could be great television.

I mean imagine Lector a free man doing his **** while helping Graham. We've never seen that before except in the opening of Red Dragon. The writing dynamic could be fantastic. I would definitely watch this if this looks good. It could be popular as well. I can see networks wanting to pick this up because they know it.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #29
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Jared Harris could be a good Lector.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #30
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Lets all make a pact that we'll all just pretend that Hannibal Rising never happened from here on in. Agreed?

Old 11-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #31
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

NBC buys Hannibal series

Oh, no...

Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #32
Randal Graves
Side-Kick

Awesome. It's gonna be bad AND cancelled!

Old 11-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #33
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Well, Bryan Fuller is writing, so it probably won't be too bad. It'll just be neutered.

And cancelled, of course.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #34
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

So basically they're going to find a way to shoehorn as many skinny blondes as they can into this show.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #35
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Hey hey hey!!!

Kathy Bates isn't blonde.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #36
Pink Ranger
I got magic to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Hey hey hey!!!

Kathy Bates isn't blonde.
So you think. But I believe she wears a wig or dyes her hair, because she wants to be seen as something more than a perky, nubile sex symbol. That's really dogged her career for the past 10 years.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Past experience tells me I need to put this in, but I really shouldn't have to:

Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #37
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

As the show has landed at NBC means that it'll watered down for broadcast standards. With that said, I don't have high hopes for this and I'm only interested in it because Fuller is writing.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #38
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I doubt this will be the case, but maybe this can represent the next stage of brutalizing broadcast television. I remember when CSI started and people were shocked at how graphic it was. Maybe this could be the next CSI, in that way.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #39
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

It does seem odd that NBC continually picks up series that are out of their wheelhouse in terms of general quality. Friday Night Lights and Southland were both too quality and ended up going to cable networks. It's almost admirable of NBC, in a way. Let's just hope, if this ends up actually being good that is, that if this isn't as successful in ratings as NBC would like, this ends up being an FNL or a Southland, where it can find a new network that can better support it, as opposed to another Playboy Club, where it just goes in the trash.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #40
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Subscribe

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 11-17-2011, 01:31 AM   #41
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

The thought of a Lecter series has inspired me to start reading that copy of Silence of the Lambs that I've had for forever but have yet to actually read.

Well done, TV.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #42
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

They need to cast this goddamn thing already.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #43
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

Jared Harris - Lector
Elias Koteas - Crawford

Old 11-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #44
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Harris would be fantastic. His role on Fringe was already basically Lecter, except he didn't eat people.

I just wonder how long they intend to have the series last. You cant have him go head to head with Graham for five straight years...

Old 11-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #45
DarKush
Side-Kick

I think this idea would work better if they focused on the Graham character. I don't see how they are going to pull off a Hannibal weekly show. He's not as sympathetic as Dexter and there aren't many shows told from the perspective of the villain.

A pre-Red Dragon show about Graham with Lecter being a recurring character perhaps would work better.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #46
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Oh my, I'm a happy camper. Love Silence (the book and film) and this show better be good.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #47
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

So... apparently Tim Roth was being considered as a possible replacement for the role of Lecter in case Hopkins didn't return for Hannibal.... consider this me throwing his name in the hat. The only hang-up might be that I think he's got a deal with 20th Century Fox television. Could they join forces???

Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #48
Paradox1
Side-Kick

I don't see Tim Roth as a Hannibal Lector he's too jumpy

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #49
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

From IGN:
Quote:
Hannibal Lecter TV Series Update
Will NBC go straight to series with the world's most famous cannibal?
January 6, 2012

Today at the TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour, I had the chance to briefly ask NBC president Robert Greenblatt about the status of Hannibal, a potential TV series based around the Hannibal Lecter character, focusing on his relationship with Will Graham, the FBI agent destined to find out his secret and capture him. Early reports said NBC was going to go straight to series on the show – which is being written by Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls) -- bypassing the pilot stage. Greenblatt confirmed that was the plan, but stressed they hadn't given it the greenlight yet, explaining, "Hannibal is still being written, but it is one of those great international co-production deals where if we want to go forward, it would be an episodic pickup. But we haven't seen the script yet."

I noted that Hannibal was innately a pretty dark character and subject matter for a primetime network series, but Greenblatt said he wasn't concerned. As he put it, "Yeah. You know what, it's part of the mix. I mean, look at Criminal Minds. That's a pretty dark show. I think it's dark with a bit of a… Well A, it's pre-sold. But it also has a kind of fantastical element to it, you know? It's a little mythic, that character. But again, we haven't seen the script yet."

Old 02-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #50
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Deadline:
Quote:
NBC Gives Straight-To-Series Order To ‘Hannibal’, Picks Up ‘Notorious’ Drama Pilot
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

NBC pulled the trigger on a 13-episode order to Hannibal, a straight-to-series project from Gaumont International Television, written and executive produced by Bryan Fuller and executive produced by Martha DeLaurentiis. The project is described as a contemporary thriller series featuring the classic characters from Thomas Harris’ novel Red Dragon – FBI agent Will Graham and his mentor Dr. Hannibal Lecter – who are re-introduced at the beginning of their budding relationship. The project was bought by NBC preemptively in November with a deal for a script against a 13-episode commitment, meaning that the project wouldn’t go through a pilot stage but straight to series if NBC brass like the script. The network had a short window after receiving Fuller’s script to pick up the series, which it did. This marks the second series order for GIT, launched last September with Katie O’Connell as CEO. The company also has a 13-episode order at Netfix for Hemlock Grove, an hourlong thriller/horror series executive produced and directed by Eli Roth.

Closed Thread