The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #76
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Default Re: Hannibal Lecter TV Series in Development

And for anyone afraid of stuff getting toned down in the series, according to Bryan Fuller's twitter, they've just hired an official "cannibal-cooking consultant".

As job titles go.... fairly disturbing.

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 03-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #77
Matt Mortem
Mr. Self Destruct

How does one get that job? Thats ****ing weird

Old 03-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #78
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I'm hoping it's just hypothetical knowledge. "If you were to cut out someone's liver and eat it, this is how you would prepare it".

Otherwise....

By 2016, Batman will have appeared in three big-screen films since 2008. By 2016, Iron Man will have appeared in six films in the same amount of time. Find new s*** to diagnose the current state of cinema with.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 03-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #79
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Tastes like chicken

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #80
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
Tastes like chicken
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 03-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #81
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

David Slade's Twitter:
Quote:
DAVID A SLADE
@DAVID_A_SLADE
We are doing Hannibal, Bryan's script is excellent and while there will be some re invention it's REALLY faithful to the Harris books.

Good to hear.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 03-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #82
Project862006
Banned User

david STFU where are my dare devil updates lol

Old 03-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #83
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The fact that he looks like a twelve year old boy, not the FBI's top profiler.
Hugh is like 36 years old LOL how does he look 12

Old 04-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #84
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

One thing I have to wonder about is whether the story will be modernized or period-set.

I don't necessarily like the idea, but I can see them modernizing it.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 04-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #85
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I need Lecter casting.

And I need it right ****ing now.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 04-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #86
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

EW.com:
Quote:
'Hannibal' on NBC: How Bryan Fuller will reinvent Dr. Lecter -- EXCLUSIVE
by James Hibberd

NBC’s new take on serial killer Hannibal Lecter is shaping up to be quite an interesting (and series TV-friendly) departure from films like Silence of the Lambs.

Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daises, Heroes) is taking five pages of backstory about the infamous cannibal psychiatrist from Thomas Harris’ book Red Dragon and using it as the basis for the first couple seasons of his planned drama.

Hannibal, which has received a 13-episode series order, features Lecter teaming to solve crimes with empathic FBI profiler Will Graham (Hugh Dancy). For the first time, viewers will spend quality time with Lecter while he’s at large and before the world knows his secrets, working side by side with a similarly brilliant man who is destined to catch him.

“It’s before he was incarcerated, so he’s more of a peacock,” Fuller tells EW.com. “There is a cheery disposition to our Hannibal. He’s not being telegraphed as a villain. If the audience didn’t know who he was, they wouldn’t see him coming. What we have is Alfred Hitchcock’s principle of suspense — show the audience the bomb under the table and let them sweat when it’s going to go boom. So the audience knows who Hannibal is so we don’t have to overplay his villainy. We get to subvert his legacy and give the audience twists and turns.”

So Hannibal almost plays like a crime procedural featuring two very smart investigators — but one of them is a serial killer. It’s also a highly unusual plan in broadcast series TV to start out a drama with one format, while planning from the very beginning to dramatically shake up the story once Hannibal is outed.

“It really is a love story, for lack of a better description, between these two characters,” Fuller says. “As Hannibal has said [to Graham] in a couple of the movies, ‘You’re a lot more like me than you realize.’ We’ll get to the bottom of exactly what that means over the course of the first two seasons. But we’re taking our sweet precious time.”

Hannibal will also be unusual because it’s planned as a 13-episode-per-season show. So though the drama won’t rush Hannibal’s story it also won’t feel like its padded with throwaway episodes either.

“Doing a cable model on network television gives us the opportunity not to dally in our storytelling because we have a lot of real estate to cover,” Fuller says. “I pitched a seven-season arc including stories from various [Thomas Harris] books.”

The show will include familiar characters from Harris’ novels, though he’s “Starbucking” the genders of a couple of them. FBI boss Jack Crawford will remain male, but Dr. Alan Bloom is becoming Dr. Alana Bloom, and tabloid journalist Freddy Lounds is becoming tabloid blogger Fredricka Lounds.

Between Hannibal and Fuller’s Munsters reboot pilot Mockingbird Lane, the writer certainly has his hands full. Still, there’s one other TV series idea that we’re all hoping eventually gets off the ground — the return of Star Trek.

Fuller has previously spoken to director-producer Bryan Singer about teaming to reboot the TV franchise, though any movement depends on rights-holder Paramount and Trek’s current creative kingpin, J.J. Abrams (who, of course, knows a thing or two about making TV shows too). The consensus has been that there is unlikely to be a Trek TV show while the current movie franchise is still regularly hitting theaters.

“Bryan and I are big fans of Trek and have discussed a take on what we would do, and we would love to do it,” Fuller says. “I don’t think anything is going to happen in any official capacity until after the next movie comes out. And I’m sure it would be wisely under J.J. Abrams’ purview of what happens. He’s the guardian of Trek right now.”
Sounds good to me. Just, for the love of God, steer clear of all that is Hannibal Rising.

Though, making Freddie Lounds a chick seems like an odd choice. Granted, this franchise without Clarice is pretty much a sausage-fest. But the sleazy tabloid journalist? Hmm...

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 04-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #87
Paradox1
Side-Kick

I rather the doctor stay a male him and lector had some interesting interactions that I don't think you can pull off with two males. Hannibal really hated that guy in the movies and came after him.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #88
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
I rather the doctor stay a male him and lector had some interesting interactions that I don't think you can pull off with two males. Hannibal really hated that guy in the movies and came after him.
I think you're thinking of Dr. Frederick Chilton, not Dr. Alan Bloom.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Old 04-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #89
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

I would have preferred Alan Bloom to remain male, just because he was a seemingly important character to the Lecter books, but rarely ever actually seen as an active character. Seeing him finally get his due onscreen would have been good.

In Red Dragon alone, there were some female FBI characters that could have been promoted to the foreground if they wanted more women in the cast. I'm somewhat ambivalent about a female Lounds; they could have made up a new tabloid journalist, it's not that there's a shortage of those. But meh, as long as she has all of Lounds' vile and vulgar habits, both professional and personal, then I'm good.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #90
Matt Mortem
Mr. Self Destruct

I just want to know who the **** is playing Hannibal.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #91
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

That, to me, could make or break this show more than anything else.

Movie Review Site:
Old 04-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #92
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

I'm kind of pumped to see who they cast as Crawford. For some reason, I get the feeling that the actor they get for him may be the biggest name in the cast.

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 04-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #93
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I'm kind of pumped to see who they cast as Crawford. For some reason, I get the feeling that the actor they get for him may be the biggest name in the cast.
I think so too. It's an ideal role for an older actor, who was maybe big in the 1980s or 1990s, but hasn't been seen in anything big for a while.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #94
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Yea, it kind of has the whole "and ____ ________ as Crawford" ring to it.

Movie Review Site:
Old 04-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #95
Matt Mortem
Mr. Self Destruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
That, to me, could make or break this show more than anything else.
I agree. They have some big shoes to fill. If they get a bad Lecter the whole series goes to hell in a handbasket. If they don't knock it out of the park with their Hannibal casting I doubt this show will be anything but another crime procedural.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #96
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #97
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't envy the actor cast as Hannibal. Those are some big shoes to fill.

Movie Review Site:
Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #98
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

The thing about the role of Hannibal is that it's going to be an extremely thankless job. You just know there will be plenty of people out there that will hold a grudge against the actor just for the fact that he's not Anthony Hopkins (even if he's not the actor to originate the role on screen).

Sincerely,
Sawyer

Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #99
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

No one remembers that Brian Cox played Hannibal first.

To be honest, I find Hopkins far more memorable.

But yea, he's going to be held up against one of the most iconic performances in the history of film.

Movie Review Site:
Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #100
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

I think the Hannibal actor will be okay. Fortunately or unfortunately, the role has been degraded plenty with Red Dragon and Hannibal Rising, so it's no longer as "iconic" as it used to be.

Also, again:

Mark.
A.
Mother *******.
Sheppard!!!!

Closed Thread