The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Cavill's Superman costume include the Red Trunks?
The Trunks stay! 101 48.10%
The Trunks gotta go! 48 22.86%
I don't care if the Trunks stay or go! 61 29.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #26
Shabadoo
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Exactly.
Not sure what your point is...

Quote:
Do you think he picked out the Superman suit and was the one who decided there would or wouldn't be any trunks or was involved in any of the changes to the character? I personally don't.
Since directors routinely provide guidance and approve all creative aspects of a given movie, I see no reason to think he wasn't involved suit discussions and gave final approval. What makes you think he didn't?

Quote:
Heck yes I would rather pay attention to lawyers who specialize in comic and movie related lawsuits than Zack Snyder,
Really?? Even when said lawyers have nothing to offer but unfounded guesswork, and have no direct involvement with what they're speculating on? And also when there's more reason to believe actual first hand sources? Hey, fair enough. That's your prerogative!

Quote:
and I'm better at the snark.
Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Quote:
So then we should join forces.
Sure! Sounds like fun. I could use a side-kick.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #27
Kurosawa
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabadoo View Post
And that's the thing. I know I wouldn't necessarily be interested in a Superman character that is limited to the portrayal in Action #1, just as I wouldn't be interested in a character that consists entirely of whatever DC controls. There will need to be an agreement in order for everyone to be happy: S&S, WB/DC, and the fans. And honestly, that's all Toberoff really wants, IMO. He's smart enough to know that whatever both sides end up with it's not marketable, so he's banking on holding Superman hostage for a favourable deal with WB/DC.

And I've heard Toberoff is a huge douche. Kuro can go off on him in the way only Kuro can. Pretty big slime, from what I've heard. But I've never really gotten a sense of what S&S' heirs feelings are. Do they really just want the rights because they feel they're rightfully their family's or are they looking for a pay day?
As soon as Superman became a big hit, Siegel and Shuster both regretted not getting a better deal. They got the kind of deal you'd expect two nerdy teenagers to get from guys like Harry Donnenfeld who had been in the pulp publishing business for years. They've been suing National Comics/DC Comics/Warner Communications since the late 40's on and off. Bob Kane had his deal negotiated by his father and got a good deal, then he got an even better deal when he snitched on Siegel and Shuster for planning to sue DC. William Moulton Marston got a good deal because he was a grown man who was already a successful psychologist/inventor/BS artist, (as his fawning "interviews" in Family Circle magazine as conducted by his mistress Olive Byrne showed.) I would say the families are suing for money and because they have long felt that they were entitled to a deal as good the ones their peers got. Bob Kane got rich off of Batman. Siegel and Shuster never were rich-even the $100,000 salary they did get in their heyday, they spent on the Shuster studio paying Joe's ghosts.

Toberoff is in for 45% ownership of Superman-he's completely exploiting them, but he wouldn't be the first scumbag lawyer (oxymoron, I know) to exploit them. He is what he is. He's an attorney.

Ultimately, though, it's about money. Isn't everything?

Old 09-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #28
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
As soon as Superman became a big hit, Siegel and Shuster both regretted not getting a better deal. They got the kind of deal you'd expect two nerdy teenagers to get from guys like Harry Donnenfeld who had been in the pulp publishing business for years. They've been suing National Comics/DC Comics/Warner Communications since the late 40's on and off. Bob Kane had his deal negotiated by his father and got a good deal, then he got an even better deal when he snitched on Siegel and Shuster for planning to sue DC. William Moulton Marston got a good deal because he was a grown man who was already a successful psychologist/inventor/BS artist, (as his fawning "interviews" in Family Circle magazine as conducted by his mistress Olive Byrne showed.) I would say the families are suing for money and because they have long felt that they were entitled to a deal as good the ones their peers got. Bob Kane got rich off of Batman. Siegel and Shuster never were rich-even the $100,000 salary they did get in their heyday, they spent on the Shuster studio paying Joe's ghosts.

Toberoff is in for 45% ownership of Superman-he's completely exploiting them, but he wouldn't be the first scumbag lawyer (oxymoron, I know) to exploit them. He is what he is. He's an attorney.

Aaaaaand boom goes to dynamite.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:16 AM   #29
DKDetective
Commander RNVR

Quote:

Hey, don't take Toberoff as a normal example of our profession! Actually, I don't know what it is like in the U.S., but, in Canada, his little ownership deal is probably a breach of his fiduciary duty to his clients. By becoming a part owner of Superman, he is creating a conflict of interest and making it impossible for him to put his client's legal/financial interests in matter before his own. Depending on the consequences of that, he would be disbarred or heavily fined and have his licence suspended here.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:13 AM   #30
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:

Hahahaha. I didn't know that. Oh, that old good Bob. Batman got lucky since the beginning.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #31
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Hahahaha. I didn't know that. Oh, that old good Bob. Batman got lucky since the beginning.
Not really, since the quality of Batman stories just started to rise when Bob Kane didn't have any influence on the stories anymore (year 1968).

I've heard that Bob Kane even "changed" his birth date so his first deal with DC became invalid.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #32
souperman
Side-Dish

clever boy!

Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #33
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
Not really, since the quality of Batman stories just started to rise when Bob Kane didn't have any influence on the stories anymore (year 1968).

I've heard that Bob Kane even "changed" his birth date so his first deal with DC became invalid.
Yeah, when he snitched on Siegel and Shuster, he told National that they were going to renegotiate his deal as well...and when they said no, he revealed that he was underage when his first (and still very good) deal was signed.

Kane was not much of an artist or a man, but he knew how to make a buck. Or better yet, how to exploit people with actual talent like Bill Finger and Jerry Robinson to make money for him.

Every time you read a Batman comic or see a Batman movie and you see those five lying words: "Batman created by Bob Kane", it is a reminder of one of the harsh realities of life: *******s win.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #34
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:
Yeah, when he snitched on Siegel and Shuster, he told National that they were going to renegotiate his deal as well...and when they said no, he revealed that he was underage when his first (and still very good) deal was signed.

Kane was not much of an artist or a man, but he knew how to make a buck. Or better yet, how to exploit people with actual talent like Bill Finger and Jerry Robinson to make money for him.

Every time you read a Batman comic or see a Batman movie and you see those five lying words: "Batman created by Bob Kane", it is a reminder of one of the harsh realities of life: *******s win.
Best tombstone ever:

Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #35
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Best tombstone ever:

History is truly written by the winners. Except comics history, that is. With comics, it is the victims of exploitation-Siegel and Shuster, Simon and Kirby, Bill Finger, Wally Wood, etc who are canonized and the financial winners like the Donnenfeld's, Kane's and Goodman's exist either in controversy, obscurity or flat out scorn.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #36
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Best tombstone ever:

wait....that's real??

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #37
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEdge View Post
wait....that's real??
yup

http://www.google.com/search?client=...hannel=suggest

Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #38
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Well, I have read some stories from the first years and they're very good, so I disagree.

Quote:
Again. Hahahaha. I didn't know that. Oh, that old good Bob. Batman got lucky since the beginning.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #39
TheDragonator
Banned User

Quote:
Not really, since the quality of just started to rise when Bob Kane didn't have any influence on the stories anymore (year 1968).

I've heard that Bob Kane even "changed" his so his first deal with DC became invalid.
How the **** does one change their birth date?

Quote:
History is truly written by the winners. Except history, that is. With comics, it is the victims of exploitation-Siegel and Shuster, Simon and Kirby, Bill Finger, Wally Wood, etc who are canonized and the financial winners like the Donnenfeld's, Kane's and Goodman's exist either in controversy, obscurity or flat out scorn.
Speaking of the Kirby family, it seems that their lawsuit is going absolutely nowhere.

That's what happens when Disney buys a subsidary and you try to sue it for pretty much every character worth giving a damn about. And several other characters not worth giving a damn about. But still, I mean, they're basically asking for Marvel to give them the rights to every single one of their characters. Good thing Marvel learned by now that they should try to fight any attempt at keeping their rights tooth and ****ing nail.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #40
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Well, I have read some stories from the first years and they're very good, so I disagree.

Again. Hahahaha. I didn't know that. Oh, that old good Bob. Batman got lucky since the beginning.
Well, it's known by now that the first Batman story is stolen from The Shadow and of course some of the stories are good, but those were mostly written by Bill Finger.

What I meant was that after 1968 the quality of the Batman comics simply skyrocketed (no offense to guys likes Dick Sprang and Sheldon Moldoff). And this falls together with Bob Kane not having any influence over the titles anymore and just being payed for "his" characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonator View Post
How the **** does one change their birth date?
Faking the birth certificate or something.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #41
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
wow!!

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #42
camp Blood
For your health!

any good guesses at what zod will look like, will he transform? or will we not see Shannon at all

will it just be his body that's cgi. i would love to hear some educated guesses

from what I see of the mo-cap it would be armor but I am wondering who is the big mo-cap guy is that a transformed zod or some kind of robot

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Last edited by camp Blood; 09-13-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #43
Elayis

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp Blood View Post
any good guesses at what zod will look like, will he transform? or will we not see Shannon at all

will it just be his body that's cgi. i would love to hear some educated guesses

from what I see of the mo-cap it would be armor but I am wondering who is the big mo-cap guy is that a transformed zod or some kind of robot
I'm pretty sure that the mo-cap-stick guy is not Zod, but other than that, I have no clue what he is. Just a big Kryptonian? A creature?

As for Zod's appearance, I'm thinking that it will just be a costume, which is being done with CG to make it seem other-worldly, similar to the Green Lantern costume (which is definitely a YMMV issue, but personally, I really liked it). Maybe some kind of armor similar to the female's, but maybe with moving parts?

I also think they will still be using Shannon's face as I didn't see tracking dots on his face.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #44
camp Blood
For your health!

maybe some weird suit he got in the phantom zone? and the big guy could he be brainiac? which would be awesome

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #45
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

I like turtles...

Can we get back on topic please?

Old 09-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #46
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypJonian View Post
I like turtles...

Can we get back on topic please?
How isn't Zod on topic? It's the costume thread not the Superman costume thread.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #47
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

As long as Zod doesn't have a \Z/ on his chest I'm sure I'll be fine.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #48
tomk
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elayis View Post
I'm pretty sure that the mo-cap-stick guy is not Zod...
It's definitely Michael Shannon. He said so himself in a recent interview. Might have been in CBM.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #49
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk View Post
It's definitely Michael Shannon. He said so himself in a recent interview. Might have been in CBM.
Oh no, if it's from CBM then it's gotta be false. I thought he just said he wears a motion-capture suit and so do other people. Don't remember him saying he's the guy with a pole on his head.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #50
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

I'm pretty sure this was the OFFICIAL costume thread... Sorry if you came in two posts ago...

This had turned into the Bob Kane sucks, Siegel/Shuster lawsuit thread....

*EDIT*
Krumm, that's for you...