The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Cavill's Superman costume include the Red Trunks?
The Trunks stay! 101 48.10%
The Trunks gotta go! 48 22.86%
I don't care if the Trunks stay or go! 61 29.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #76
camp Blood
For your health!

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 18

are those pics legit?

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #77
Lone
Level 70 Social Leper

Btw, is anyone else as geeked out as I am that Batman and Superman are being filmed at the same moment? Seeing leaked costumed pics of both of them being put online every other day is kinda overloading my inner geek.

I like how people complain about the five thousand or so lives lost in MOS while totally ignoring the seven billion one hundred twenty-four million nine hundred ninety-five thousand other people Superman saved by taking out the World Engine.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #78
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp Blood View Post
are those pics legit?
Yeah.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #79
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Cool, those Zod pics kinda unofficially confirm that supes' suit is definitely kryptonian....

Old 09-15-2011, 12:51 AM   #80
Super Kal
Side-Kick

maybe they're like army suits or something...
Zod is a general after all, and his suit is identical to Superman's, except it's black...
what if... Jor-El is in Krypton's army or something, and Jor-El passes down something for his son to wear?...

keep in mind, this is just a shot in the dark...

Old 09-15-2011, 01:04 AM   #81
Elayis

Well, after examining everything, all of the possible costumes Zod could've had, I think this is the best.

- I think we can all agree that the Terrence Stamp costume is pretty garish.

- The current costume from the comics wouldn't really look good onscreen (who wears grey?) and would just be too convoluted to try to shoehorn in and explain in one film.

- The Lee costume is just too generic.

While the "Man of Steel" costume does several things at once:

It shows us that the costume is indeed Kryptonian in origin, the same as Kal-El's; which also highlights the similarities between the two characters and the different paths that they took.

It also just looks damn cool. It's probably the sleekest and most visually appealing costume Zod has ever had.

Now I really want to know why Zod wears both a real costume and a CG one. What sparks the change? Will he be wearing a cape like Superman, or is that an earthly add-on?

Last edited by Elayis; 09-15-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:19 AM   #82
titansupes
Side-Kick

Digging the Zod look. Just hope that's not a Superman symbol on his chest.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:24 AM   #83
DCnightwing23
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elayis View Post
It shows us that the costume is indeed Kryptonian in origin, the same as Kal-El's; which also highlights the similarities between the two characters and the different paths that they took.
Best part of your post and i agree entirely

Old 09-15-2011, 02:42 AM   #84
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonator View Post

So Zod's suit is....an all-black Superman suit.

BRILLIANT.
Sorry, this might be old news, but is that a goatee on Shannon or just shadows?

Old 09-15-2011, 02:58 AM   #85
Elayis

It's something similar to this:

Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 AM   #86
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

So what was he doing in a mocap suit? Still LOVE Zod having a Kryptonian suit similar to Clark's. This movie looks EPIC! Damn, my enthusiasm for this film is rising. Must resist hype!

Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #87
afan
Side-Kick

Casting aside..........Each bit of news from MOS drives me further away.......Superman's suit is generic off the racks Kryptonian battle suit/armor? worn by good guys and bad guys alike.....No!

Superman's suit is unique, made by Martha and Jonathan using the blankets that Lara wrapped Kal-el in, and materials within the ship....that for me is perfection.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #88
elgaz
Side-Kick

Personally I prefer the kryptonian suit angle.

I mean, logically, it makes sense. Kryptonians wore clothes and didn't walk around naked. So if Jor-El sent his baby son off to another planet to live just before Krypton exploded, he's likely to have included adult clothes of some kind for him to use when he was older.

I've never really liked the idea that Marta just decided to take the blankets, and turn them into a suit, with boots and a cape. Seems totally random, and a bit sentimental.

I'd also struggle to believe that the suit we've seen in the shots so far could have been sewed together by Martha, no matter how good a seamstress she is.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:27 AM   #89
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
Casting aside..........Each bit of news from MOS drives me further away.......Superman's suit is generic off the racks Kryptonian battle suit/armor? worn by good guys and bad guys alike.....No!

Superman's suit is unique, made by Martha and Jonathan using the blankets that Lara wrapped Kal-el in, and materials within the ship....that for me is perfection.
Just because it's in (one form of) the source material doesn't mean it's perfect. I have a feeling if superman could only leap tall buildings in the books than fans would cry bloody murder if he was flying in this. Reserve judgment is what I suggest. Hey maybe cap and thor and batman would have benefited from a costume their mother put together, I mean that seems to be the best way go apparently.

At the very least I'm glad we're getting something new, DC won't get a foothold on marvel if it simply remakes it's films over and over. I say bring in as many new elements as possible just don't go too far.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:29 AM   #90
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Just because it's in (one form of) the source material doesn't mean it's perfect. I have a feeling if superman could only leap tall buildings in the books than fans would cry bloody murder if he was flying in this. Reserve judgment is what I suggest. Hey maybe cap and thor and batman would have benefited from a costume their mother put together, I mean that seems to be the best way go apparently.

At the very least I'm glad we're getting something new, DC won't get a foothold on marvel if it simply remakes it's films over and over. I say bring in as many new elements as possible just don't go too far.
That's the dumbest leap in logic I have ever read.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #91
Marvin
Side-Kick

It's objectivity

Hey WB how about you start releasing some more of your own pics as opposed to letting the paparazzi handle your marketing.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #92
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - Part 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
Well, it's known by now that the first Batman story is stolen from The Shadow and of course some of the stories are good, but those were mostly written by Bill Finger.

What I meant was that after 1968 the quality of the Batman comics simply skyrocketed (no offense to guys likes Dick Sprang and Sheldon Moldoff). And this falls together with Bob Kane not having any influence over the titles anymore and just being payed for "his" characters.
I see. Before 1968 Batman was just a terribly written character.

Then my point still stands. He survived 30 years of pure crap, right? He is a lucky character then, which is exactly what I said.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #93
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Personally I prefer the kryptonian suit angle.

I mean, logically, it makes sense. Kryptonians wore clothes and didn't walk around naked. So if Jor-El sent his baby son off to another planet to live just before Krypton exploded, he's likely to have included adult clothes of some kind for him to use when he was older.

I've never really liked the idea that Marta just decided to take the blankets, and turn them into a suit, with boots and a cape. Seems totally random, and a bit sentimental.

I'd also struggle to believe that the suit we've seen in the shots so far could have been sewed together by Martha, no matter how good a seamstress she is.
You know, it wasn't long ago that I would have been absolutely for the 'mother made it for him' angle.

Then again, it wasn't long ago that I was adamently pro trunks... And I kind of wouldn't want them back now.

He looks cool. I love the new suit. And it is most definitely not the work of Martha Kent on her little sowing machine.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #94
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:

BRILLIANT.
Hmm, I am kind of liking this, though I think it would have made more sense to be SIMILAR to Superman's, rather than the same designs with the ribbing, etc.

Now, this is almost certainly my own wishful thinking, but, considering it is likely that this is focusing more on the earlier part of Superman's career, I'm all for seeing him re-introduced to the world, I don't mind the idea of him starting out with a very Kryptonian suit, maybe just being what was available to him, and, now this is the part that is my wishful thinking, but this could make sense for his suit "evolving" if you will, into something more traditional, with still tastes of the Kryptonian site.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #95
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz
Seriously? Logical? .........Jor-el packs a suitcase for his baby, while Krypton is crumbling around him........mind you not baby stuff, but an adult, and very alien, suit? Just where do you suppose Jor-el thought he would wear it? To the senior prom? Unless Jor-el knew every detail of Kal-el's future(an idea I absolutely loathe) it makes no sense at all.

Now Lara tearfully wrapping the baby in the "blankets" that perhaps she made/bought/fabricated, for him.....figuratively wrapping him in her arms so to speak.....now we are making sense.

Quote:
One of the chief complaints is no one can relate to Superman....well everyone has a mother, and most had mothers who made things for them to wear, knitted sweaters, mittens, afghans for the crib, not random at all and very real. Sentimental...hell yeah, and a lot more "human" than a ceremonial Kryptonian whatever.

Quote:
....more's the pity.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #96
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
That's the dumbest leap in logic I have ever read.
That was kind of the point. He was pointing out that, if the initial idea was "perfection," Clark's parents making his suit, then it should work for others. The flaw in logic is NOT the applying it to others, but in the initial idea being "perfection." Applying it to others showcases how much it is NOT a great idea. Or at least that it will not translate that well now.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #97
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:

BRILLIANT.
Another thought, maybe this is a suit Zod adapts while on Earth, perhaps in an attempt to play off of Superman's "fame," or to try to ruin his image.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #98
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
That was kind of the point. He was pointing out that, if the initial idea was "perfection," Clark's parents making his suit, then it should work for others. The flaw in logic is NOT the applying it to others, but in the initial idea being "perfection." Applying it to others showcases how much it is NOT a great idea. Or at least that it will not translate that well now.
No, that's still stupid. We're talking about Superman, and it is obvious to anyone with a brain that afan is talking about what he considers 'perfection' for Superman specifically.

That's like someone arguing that Spider-Man needs mechanical webshooters and someone replying "Well what if The Thing had webshooters? That wouldn't make sense would it?"

Now, I realise that afan is expressing negativity so therefore he must be destroyed, but let's stop obfuscating stupidity here, okay?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #99
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
Seriously? Logical? .........Jor-el packs a suitcase for his baby, while Krypton is crumbling around him........mind you not baby stuff, but an adult, and very alien, suit? Just where do you suppose Jor-el thought he would wear it? To the senior prom? Unless Jor-el knew every detail of Kal-el's future(an idea I absolutely loathe) it makes no sense at all.

Now Lara tearfully wrapping the baby in the "blankets" that perhaps she made/bought/fabricated, for him.....figuratively wrapping him in her arms so to speak.....now we are making sense.
I never said I had any issue with the blankets being there. I buy that. I just didn't buy Martha transforming the blankets into a supersuit.

But I also think that in sending his infant son millions of miles away, it's not a stretch of the imagination to assume that Jor-el threw in a few items.

Quote:
One of the chief complaints is no one can relate to Superman....well everyone has a mother, and most had mothers who made things for them to wear, knitted sweaters, mittens, afghans for the crib, not random at all and very real. Sentimental...hell yeah, and a lot more "human" than a ceremonial Kryptonian whatever.
Ridiculous comparison to be honest. Of course mothers make things for their children - when they're children. And a sweater is a sweater. I'm talking about a fairly normal, elderly woman deciding to sew blankets together into a cape and brightly coloured suit for her grown up son. If you think that's entirely normal and more believable than a Kryptonian uniform being included in his spacecraft, good luck to you.

As for the human angle, that's why Clark Kent wears jeans and plaid shirts around the farm. When he's Superman, I want to see Kryptonian style, not human-influenced ones.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #100
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
No, that's still stupid. We're talking about Superman, and it is obvious to anyone with a brain that afan is talking about what he considers 'perfection' for Superman specifically.

That's like someone arguing that Spider-Man needs mechanical webshooters and someone replying "Well what if The Thing had webshooters? That wouldn't make sense would it?"

Now, I realise that afan is expressing negativity so therefore he must be destroyed, but let's stop obfuscating stupidity here, okay?
The webshooters, now THAT'S obfuscation.

Closed Thread