The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Cavill's Superman costume include the Red Trunks?
The Trunks stay! 101 48.10%
The Trunks gotta go! 48 22.86%
I don't care if the Trunks stay or go! 61 29.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #101
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
No, that's still stupid. We're talking about Superman, and it is obvious to anyone with a brain that afan is talking about what he considers 'perfection' for Superman specifically.

That's like someone arguing that Spider-Man needs mechanical webshooters and someone replying "Well what if The Thing had webshooters? That wouldn't make sense would it?"

Now, I realise that afan is expressing negativity so therefore he must be destroyed, but let's stop obfuscating stupidity here, okay?
Well considering the thing never had webshooters and thus the comparison is completely groundless, yea that wouldn't make any sense.

Here's an idea, why not compare the source of their powers(like most marvels stars), Radioactivity. If they changed the radioactive elements to spider man(ie raimi's films) and someone came on here and said it was perfect the way it was and now it's not. I would go on to question why is that exactly. And are they just saying that because that's what the source material programed them to think. I would then say why not make every ones origin radio active because it's apparently the best way to go. Not so much for the argument of giving the thing web shooters out of the blue if you catch my drift.

Hey, I get it, he think's it's perfect, that's his opinion and I'm glad to hear it. Wanna hear mine?

Last edited by Marvin; 09-15-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #102
camp Blood
For your health!

wonder why zod doesn't have a cape

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 09-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #103
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK®
Now, I realise that afan is expressing negativity so therefore he must be destroyed, but let's stop obfuscating stupidity here, okay?
I must say the amount of posters that are gleefully drinking the MOS kool-aid is puzzling to me.

Perhaps the desire to get any Superman production, in the face of the dominant and Marvel-ous side of the comic book film genre, is over-riding good judgement, or I'm just inflexibly locked into tradition, and what I love about Superman. Oh well..it is what it is.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #104
gdw
Side-Kick

Still a big difference.

The point, at least the one I am making, is that, when applying it to another character, it becomes ridiculous, then, maybe the actual idea is ridiculous.

The are obvious situations where applying it to other characters makes less sense because o another aspect of the character, and that's different, and obvious. Peter Parker, and Bruce Wayne having had their parents make their costumes makes much less sense, because both their parents were dead long before they pursued being costumed heroes.
On the other hand, Kal-El's parents (birth parents) sending him Kryptonian garbs, even if just for heritage purposes, makes sense as it's justified irrelevant of whether or not he becomes a hero.

Honestly, I actually think that Cap's mom making his costume makes more sense than Superman's mom, and to be honest, I actually don't mind it TOO much if Martha made his suit, though I prefer other explanations.

Hell, there's enough complaining about Peter making his movie suits on his own, Martha making Clark's suit, less realistic and appealing than many other options.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #105
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by afan View Post
I must say the amount of posters that are gleefully drinking the MOS kool-aid is puzzling to me.

Perhaps the desire to get any Superman production, in the face of the dominant and Marvel-ous side of the comic book film genre, is over-riding good judgement, or I'm just inflexibly locked into tradition, and what I love about Superman. Oh well..it is what it is.
I often wonder how many of the blind supporters read the comics. Now, that's not to say one can't like what they've seen so far. I think the costume is certainly intersting, and the glasses-less Clark is very reminiscent of Earth One, but to actually defend the changes? Come on. Superman is the Superman we all know, the one we grew up, the one our parents grew up with, and the one our grandparents grew up with.

So yes, some of these changes make the MOS Superman less of a Superman.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 09-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #106
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp Blood View Post
wonder why zod doesn't have a cape
He probably does.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #107
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
I often wonder how many of the blind supporters read the comics. Now, that's not to say one can't like what they've seen so far. I think the costume is certainly intersting, and the glasses-less Clark is very reminiscent of Earth One, but to actually defend the changes? Come on. Superman is the Superman we all know, the one we grew up, the one our parents grew up with, and the one our grandparents grew up with.

Hadn't you heard....to today's generation, anything more than 5 years old isn't worth their time......

Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #108
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

I think a cape may be a little much, but I wouldn't oppose it.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #109
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, the nerve of some people liking things that you don't like! What's the world come to?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #110
Marvin
Side-Kick

Just like birthright Clark will address the disguise dilemma when it comes up. A set pick of an obviously non-settled Clark Kent pounding the pavement without glasses just seems a little obvious at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't even wearing his costume in that photo. Batman wasn't always wearing the horns in begins.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #111
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonator View Post

So Zod's suit is....an all-black Superman suit.

BRILLIANT.
Interesting.. presumably this then would confirm that Superman's suit is actually something wore by & from Krypton/Kryptonian's.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #112
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Yeah, the nerve of some people liking things that you don't like! What's the world come to?
It stems more to how certain posters hollered, whined, moaned, etc. about how Bryan Singer and Superman Returns "F-ed everything up!" and/or "They changed everything! That isn't Superman!" Terms like "traditional" being thrown around as to what Nolan, Snyder, etc. need to do regarding The Man of Steel.

Cut to what we've seen so far with TMOS and they're making even bigger changes. Suddenly those same people who wouldn't shut up say it's perfectly OK. A lot of terms come to mind - ironic, amusing, hypocritical, etc.

There are always going to be changes made as been the case with the character of Superman over the past 70 plus years. I had no problem with what they did with Returns or what they are doing with TMOS.

It's just...amusing. Yeah that's the term I'll go with.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #113
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Seriously? Logical? .........Jor-el packs a suitcase for his baby, while Krypton is crumbling around him........mind you not baby stuff, but an adult, and very alien, suit? Just where do you suppose Jor-el thought he would wear it? To the senior prom? Unless Jor-el knew every detail of Kal-el's future(an idea I absolutely loathe) it makes no sense at all.

Now Lara tearfully wrapping the baby in the "blankets" that perhaps she made/bought/fabricated, for him.....figuratively wrapping him in her arms so to speak.....now we are making sense.
1. Jor-el had time to BUILD a spaceship for his child before Krypton exploded. He sure as hell had time to put a Kryptonian outfit in there.

2. Personally I hope that it's not a case of putting the suit in the ship with the intention of him 'fullfilling his destiny by wearing it'.

And no one is suggesting Jor-el thought his son would be wearing it to his prom. I doubt he even knew what a prom was.

But he might have wanted to send his son a little piece of home. A reminder of where he is from. Something that shows a little of their culture, and something which proudly exhibits the symbol of his family.

What is unbelieveable about that?

Quote:
One of the chief complaints is no one can relate to Superman....well everyone has a mother, and most had mothers who made things for them to wear, knitted sweaters, mittens, afghans for the crib, not random at all and very real. Sentimental...hell yeah, and a lot more "human" than a ceremonial Kryptonian whatever.
When I put myself in Superman's shoes, in the realistic world, the world we live in today - I cannot relate to putting on a skin tight outfit my mother made me out of some sheets.

I can very much relate to growing up not knowing where your from, and upon discovering that heritage and then being confronted with it in a very physical way (Zod in a similar suit to the one you've found in your spaceship), donning the outfit and confronting Zod as a way of embracing that other side of yourself.

And then continuing to wear that suit once the battle is done, because it's now a part of the 'identity' of the man that the whole world now sees as a hero.

God it just makes so much sense narratively!

And I swear, I am usually against the more kryptonian aspects of the mythos.

But this is an origin story involving Zod. And this direction it appears they are taking it in seems the most logical for THAT story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
It stems more to how certain posters hollered, whined, moaned, etc. about how Bryan Singer and Superman Returns "F-ed everything up!" and/or "They changed everything! That isn't Superman!" Terms like "traditional" being thrown around as to what Nolan, Snyder, etc. need to do regarding The Man of Steel.

Cut to what we've seen so far with TMOS and they're making even bigger changes. Suddenly those same people who wouldn't shut up say it's perfectly OK. A lot of terms come to mind - ironic, amusing, hypocritical, etc.

There are always going to be changes made as been the case with the character of Superman over the past 70 plus years. I had no problem with what they did with Returns or what they are doing with TMOS.

I don't know what 'certain posters' you're referring too, or whether what your talking about happened during the pre Superman Returns phase when I was not around...

... But I've never once seen someone complain that Superman Returns changed too much.

It's usually the opposite.

The general consensus seems to be Superman Returns tried too hard to copy the Donnerverse and did not provide the GA with a modern and relatable Superhero film.

Seems to me like those of us who hated SR are happy with MOS because of all the difference we can clearly see between it and Bryan Singer's vision.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 09-15-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #114
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:

People complained that Returns changed too much?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #115
LykanKomics
Side-Kick

lol this forum cracks me up

Old 09-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #116
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:

Then this whole forum must be one big amusement park. It certainly is for me.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #117
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:

Quote:

indeed. in term of his visual image, just to make it clear.

and zod and kalel wearing the same pattern of costume? hummm... r they clone???

Old 09-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #118
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Zod is to Superman as Venom is to Spider-Man.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #119
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonator View Post

So Zod's suit is....an all-black Superman suit.

BRILLIANT.
And Faora's costume is black too. And Superman's costume is a dark blue with a tribal pattern instead of trunks because tradition and superhero comics suck, didn't you get the memo?

Great imagination with the color palette there ZS-dark muted colors and blacks.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #120
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
And Faora's costume is black too. And Superman's costume is a dark blue with a tribal pattern instead of trunks because tradition and superhero comics suck

Great imagination with the color palette there ZS-dark muted colors and blacks.
Agreed. Alien wear is the best way to make Superman's costume not silly.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #121
Krumm
Beer Snob

You know the sooner people learn to accept that their version of Superman will never be made, the sooner they can actually enjoy the damn films and appreciate them for what they offer.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #122
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide
1. Jor-el had time to BUILD a spaceship for his child before Krypton exploded. He sure as hell had time to put a Kryptonian outfit in there.

2. Personally I hope that it's not a case of putting the suit in the ship with the intention of him 'fullfilling his destiny by wearing it'.

And no one is suggesting Jor-el thought his son would be wearing it to his prom. I doubt he even knew what a prom was.

But he might have wanted to send his son a little piece of home. A reminder of where he is from. Something that shows a little of their culture, and something which proudly exhibits the symbol of his family.

What is unbelieveable about that?

Depends on the telling one accepts.
If he has time....why would Jor-el build a ship intended only to carry his son?
I prefer that Jor-el is under a desperate deadline perhaps due to miscalculating the time Krypton has left. His plan is to save his family (why would it not be so), however by the time Krypton's destruction is imminent he has built a prototype large enough only for Kal-el, that lacks any cargo space(why would a prototype have a trunk), and the launch is a last minute desperate attempt to save Kal-el.

We are in total agreement on your second point.

However.......... if Jor-el did have time to pack for the trip and include a little piece of home, a representation of Krypton's culture, .......why on Krypton would he send the suit we are seeing? Is that suit representative of Krypton's culture? Why is Zod also wearing it?
I can see, if time allowed, Jor-el and Lara sending items that would inform Kal-el of his heritage, and those items would be chosen with some forethought, so how exactly would a set of adult clothing, particularly that set of clothing be chosen, clearly it would be intended for a specific purpose........which points to destiny fulfilling IMO.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #123
souperman
Side-Dish

tried to see shield better in neg.

looks to maybe have two circular rings, but not clear

hope to see more pics soon!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #124
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Agreed. Alien wear is the best way to make Superman's costume not silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
You know the sooner people learn to accept that their version of Superman will never be made, the sooner they can actually enjoy the damn films and appreciate them for what they offer.
Yes, everything about Superman is silly and stupid and people are stupid for liking it. Bring on the giant spider!!!!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #125
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Yes, everything about Superman is silly and stupid and people are stupid for liking it. Bring on the giant spider!!!!
Hyperbolic much?

Last edited by Krumm; 09-15-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Closed Thread