The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Spidey-World

Old 03-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #326
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Doc Ock's Lair v2 - Part 1

The ending to Avenging Spider-Man #17 just proved Ock has not changed at all. There is some real nastiness coming

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #327
OctoHaz
Doc Ock Fangirl

A delightful issue from start to finish.

I wonder what he said to the little evil clone kid?

OctoHaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #328
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

I'm betting it was some kind of threat on his life. I can't imagine anything else scaring the kid as much as that. I love how Ock equated the kid to himself when he was a child lol.

- The Joker
Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #329
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Superior Spider-Man is the most I've enjoyed the Spidey comics in YEARS. I am genuinely surprised at how amazing it's been. Issue #5 was the best one yet. Who knew that giving Ock Spidey's body could be a recipe for such brilliant writing?

- The Joker
Old 03-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #330
OctoHaz
Doc Ock Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Superior Spider-Man is the most I've enjoyed the Spidey comics in YEARS. I am genuinely surprised at how amazing it's been. Issue #5 was the best one yet. Who knew that giving Ock Spidey's body could be a recipe for such brilliant writing?

Agreed. Slott and Yost are kicking all kinds of ass, writing-wise. And it's quite nice to see Otto get so much center-stage attention.

OctoHaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:20 AM   #331
Thought Crime
Banned User

Hello fellow Ock fans (or whatever neologism you've attributed to yourselves).

I have been out of comics for several years, and I was wondering ... is it worth to read any Spider-Man titles nowadays? I know what the answer would be if Ock was appearing in the comic ... at least I think I do, but, really though, worth it?

A side-note, long ago I was on a quest to collect every comic book that Ock appeared in. I thought I had a good start on it back then, but I'm not sure what the status of the quest is and whether or not I should resume it pending the answer to my original question. Also thought about collection non-comic book appearances. Need a full list of his appearances though, no matter how minor of an appearance.

Thought Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #332
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thought Crime View Post
Hello fellow Ock fans (or whatever neologism you've attributed to yourselves).
Ock fans will do. Octavians is a good label, too

Quote:
I have been out of comics for several years, and I was wondering ... is it worth to read any Spider-Man titles nowadays? I know what the answer would be if Ock was appearing in the comic ... at least I think I do, but, really though, worth it?
Yes, I definitely think so. We've just been discussing how fantastic Superior Spider-Man is. Your best bet is to start with ASM #600 which kick starts the storyline Doc Ock has had for the last three years leading to his current situation now.

Quote:
A side-note, long ago I was on a quest to collect every comic book that Ock appeared in. I thought I had a good start on it back then, but I'm not sure what the status of the quest is and whether or not I should resume it pending the answer to my original question. Also thought about collection non-comic book appearances. Need a full list of his appearances though, no matter how minor of an appearance.
http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/..._octopus1.html

Hope that helps a bit.

- The Joker
Old 03-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #333
Thought Crime
Banned User

Quote:
Ock fans will do. Octavians is a good label, too

Yes, I definitely think so. We've just been discussing how fantastic Superior Spider-Man is. Your best bet is to start with ASM #600 which kick starts the storyline Doc Ock has had for the last three years leading to his current situation now.

http://www.spiderfan.org/characters/..._octopus1.html

Hope that helps a bit.
Ah, yes, that helps somewhat. Thanks for the assistance. I have searched on Amazon for some some non-comics appearances, but have only found a few. Found some novels by a writer named Castro. Searching for more.

The earliest appearance of have of Ock is ASM #53.

If I choose to start picking up issues again, should I go with virtual or the print format?

Old 03-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #334
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Ah, yes, that helps somewhat. Thanks for the assistance. I have searched on Amazon for some some non-comics appearances, but have only found a few. Found some novels by a writer named Castro. Searching for more.
Oh my god, the Castro novels are AMAZING. I cannot urge you enough to buy them. It's a trilogy of novels based on the Sinister Six.

I guarantee you that you will be hooked on them. They're some of the best Spidey stories I've ever read. Bar none. All the characterizations are spot on. Especially Doc Ock. He's brilliant in them.

Quote:
The earliest appearance of have of Ock is ASM #53.

If I choose to start picking up issues again, should I go with virtual or the print format?
Well that depends on your preference. Do you prefer print or virtual? Of course the print versions of the older comics can be very costly. So that's something else to consider.

- The Joker
Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #335
Thought Crime
Banned User

Quote:
Oh my god, the Castro novels are AMAZING. I cannot urge you enough to buy them. It's a trilogy of novels based on the Sinister Six.

I guarantee you that you will be hooked on them. They're some of the best Spidey stories I've ever read. Bar none. All the characterizations are spot on. Especially Doc Ock. He's brilliant in them.
I will definitely look into it. There is some other non-comics Ock story that I came across on Amazon. I believe it was a novel. I remember reading a review of it but haven't came across it since. Should've bookmarked it because I don't even know what to query to look for it.

Quote:
Well that depends on your preference. Do you prefer print or virtual? Of course the print versions of the older comics can be very costly. So that's something else to consider.
If I go back to buying the printed format, that would mean I would have to make nice with the comic book store owner with whom I developed a friendship with, but soon became unhappy with me because of my buying decisions. I spent more monies there in a month than some did in a year in buying comics and other things, too. But, I reneged on the contract that everyone must sign when signing up for a pull list. And sometimes, I didn't even get the right issues. They expect 100% loyalty from me, yet I can't say word about the errors they sometimes made. Ugh ...

I have a device that has the Comixology app to get the virtual issues; however, I'd like to upgrade the hardware. And I did say to myself that I would quit buying newer comics in print form, and only buy vintage issues in print form. Decisions, decisions ... Have to make my buying decisions issue-by-issue, I guess.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #336
Thought Crime
Banned User

I was thinking about who are Ock's best handlers -his writers- and I really think it is a no-brainer. The original creator(s) of Ock: Lee and Ditko. Would I be wrong?

Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #337
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
I will definitely look into it. There is some other non-comics Ock story that I came across on Amazon. I believe it was a novel. I remember reading a review of it but haven't came across it since. Should've bookmarked it because I don't even know what to query to look for it.
Was it this one:

Quote:
If I go back to buying the printed format, that would mean I would have to make nice with the comic book store owner with whom I developed a friendship with, but soon became unhappy with me because of my buying decisions. I spent more monies there in a month than some did in a year in buying comics and other things, too. But, I reneged on the contract that everyone must sign when signing up for a pull list. And sometimes, I didn't even get the right issues. They expect 100% loyalty from me, yet I can't say word about the errors they sometimes made. Ugh ...
Is there nowhere else you can get your comics? Or just bury the hatchet with that guy. He'd be foolish to turn away good custom.

Quote:
I was thinking about who are Ock's best handlers -his writers- and I really think it is a no-brainer. The original creator(s) of Ock: Lee and Ditko. Would I be wrong?
Yeah Stan Lee was brilliant at writing Ock. Dan Slott, Tom DeFalco, David Micheline, and Bill Mantlo also wrote some of my favorite Doc Ock stories.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 03-15-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 PM   #338
Thought Crime
Banned User

Quote:
Was it this one:

Seen that one before, and I do not believe it is the one.

Quote:
Is there nowhere else you can get your comics?
Slim and none. Only a few around. Always have the option of buying online though, but I like to help out a local shop, especially this particular one.

Quote:
Or just bury the hatchet with that guy. He'd be foolish to turn away good custom.
Have thought about it, but it has been years since been back there. It would be kind of awkward, I think.

Quote:
Yeah Stan Lee was brilliant at writing Ock. Dan Slott, Tom DeFalco, David Micheline, and Bill Mantlo also wrote some of my favorite Doc Ock stories.
Hardly any complaints with that group. One of my complaints about Ock visually was the design of his mechanical arms up until we got Ock on the big screen. Til then, the mechanical arms seemed too lack detail.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #339
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Seen that one before, and I do not believe it is the one.
So it was a novel then?

Quote:
Slim and none. Only a few around. Always have the option of buying online though, but I like to help out a local shop, especially this particular one.

Have thought about it, but it has been years since been back there. It would be kind of awkward, I think.
If it's been years then it should be fine. The more time that's passed the easier it's forgotten.

Quote:
Hardly any complaints with that group. One of my complaints about Ock visually was the design of his mechanical arms up until we got Ock on the big screen. Til then, the mechanical arms seemed too lack detail.
I never minded that honestly. No question the movie version of the tentacles look the best. They look like real lethal weaponry as well as high tech lab devices.

But I always loved the simplicity of Ock's tentacles in the comics. Sleek silver with claws at the ends. Octopus tentacles are not meant to be detail looking so I assume Ditko was going on that basis.

- The Joker
Old 03-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #340
Thought Crime
Banned User

Quote:
So it was a novel then?
I think so.

Quote:
If it's been years then it should be fine. The more time that's passed the easier it's forgotten.
I would like to think it is forgotten. Unless, they blacklist people.

Quote:
I never minded that honestly. No question the movie version of the tentacles look the best. They look like real lethal weaponry as well as high tech lab devices.
Badassery weaponry for sure.

Quote:
But I always loved the simplicity of Ock's tentacles in the comics. Sleek silver with claws at the ends. Octopus tentacles are not meant to be detail looking so I assume Ditko was going on that basis.
I wondered though when looking at the tentacles ... "How are those things attached?" I do not really recall seeing an apparatus (... is that the right word to describe for what I'm saying here) in his earliest appearances and for some time after. Perhaps I'm over-thinking it.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #341
Thought Crime
Banned User

A humourous image:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #342
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

- The Joker
Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #343
Thought Crime
Banned User

That's a spectacular image. Who might the artist be?

Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #344
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

I've no idea. It was posted in the Spider-Man 1,2, 3 forum.

It is a beauty though.

- The Joker
Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #345
Thought Crime
Banned User

I hate it when unable to identify who the artist is. Its a lot like when a song on a television show starts playing and it is a really cool song, but have no idea who the hell the artist is because they don't tell ya.

The artist must have been looking at SM 2 while drawing that. Jeez, I haven't watched that in forever. Should see the extended cut instead.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #346
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Quote:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I love this so much! SO MUCH! I want it on my wall....

Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #347
Thought Crime
Banned User

Does anyone have any alternative choices for actors playing Ock in another film, or is Molina the only choice?

Old 03-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #348
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Funny you ask that, because we were just wondering if this guy recently cast in TASM 2 is Octavius: http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...g-spider-man-2

- The Joker
Old 03-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #349
Thought Crime
Banned User

See, I didn't see the rebooted version of Spidey, nor did I see SM 3. I pretty much just stopped after SM 2 and haven't seen the films belonging to new franchises, like Iron Man and such. And I waited for TDKR to be available on DVD to rent. My interest is waned.

However, I imagined Ock would have the profile of a nerd when being re-introduced in the new series. I imagine him as you see him in the comics. Bowl cut, overweight and so on. Unless their secretly introducing him into the series ... I dunno.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #350
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
See, I didn't see the rebooted version of Spidey, nor did I see SM 3. I pretty much just stopped after SM 2 and haven't seen the films belonging to new franchises, like Iron Man and such. And I waited for TDKR to be available on DVD to rent. My interest is waned.
I assume you mean your interest has just waned in superhero movies, otherwise you wouldn't be on SuperHeroHype

Quote:
However, I imagined Ock would have the profile of a nerd when being re-introduced in the new series. I imagine him as you see him in the comics. Bowl cut, overweight and so on. Unless their secretly introducing him into the series ... I dunno.
If you've seen some of the casting choices for this movie, you'd see that the casting has not been what fans imagined. Jamie Foxx as Electro, Paul Giamatti as Rhino, and Chris Cooper as Norman Osborn.

- The Joker