The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 02:55 AM   #76
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: Hawaii Five-O - Part 1

Hard to say but keep in mind a lot of the season 2 stuff was written and mapped out a long time ago. I interviewed Orci at BotCon this year and I talked with him about the show and where they left off at season 1 and he was like, "oh right that's where we stopped, I'm already ahead of that." He also gave me the hint that Rachel's new baby wasn't Danny's but I thought he was playing me there.

I did also ask about Kaye joining the team and he said she would, but that might've changed. Kaye was working with 5-0 while on leave so she might be heading back to work with the CIA for now and is still in league with Wo Fat.

I think 5-0 would've caught on to Wo Fat eventually and Wo Fat recognized that from when he was first introduced in the series. McGarrett was on the trail of his dad's last case and was conducting his own investigation. McGarrett was already going after Wo Fat's associates and business partners. By putting in a plant, Wo Fat controlled the flow of information on Wo Fat and not only that he had eyes and ears on all the whereabouts of 5-0.

Honestly I don't think making Kaye bad was a sudden change in writing. It sort of fits if you think about it. And I say that because Wo Fat was the big overarching plot throughout the first season and leading into season 2, so I figured that's what the show runners had mapped out the most at first.

- CM Punk
Old 09-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #77
FVD
Jolly Loves You

I think it's great that Larisa Oleynik has finally paid her dues and has now gotten some much deserved airtime on the show. What a twist GODDAMN!!!

Always thought she was the prettier one over Julia Stiles on 10 Things I Hate About You!

Great Season Premiere anyway!! Ten Thumbs Up!

Old 09-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #78
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVD View Post
I think it's great that Larisa Oleynik has finally paid her dues and has now gotten some much deserved airtime on the show. What a twist GODDAMN!!!

Always thought she was the prettier one over Julia Stiles on 10 Things I Hate About You!

Great Season Premiere anyway!! Ten Thumbs Up!
You obviously have a couple of mutant hands.

This show has had quite a few twists already, with the Governor revealed to be in league with Wo Fat in the season finale. Governor Jameson was the governor in the original series, except that it was Paul Jameson not Pat Jameson. That's taking a relatively major character from the original and turning them bad, although not as major as one of the classic 5-0 team being a traitor.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #79
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

This makes it look like the new girl has already been bumped up to series regular. I guess she's going to be around for the long haul.

At least now Kono will still have a gal pal after Kaye inevitably gets a bullet in the head.

Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 09-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #80
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
This makes it look like the new girl has already been bumped up to series regular. I guess she's going to be around for the long haul.

At least now Kono will still have a gal pal after Kaye inevitably gets a bullet in the head.
Link doesn't work.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #81
Teelie
Mostly Harmless

Works fine for me.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #82
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

link is broken.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 09-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #83
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Finally caught up with season 2 premiere last night, and I totally did not see Kaye being a turncoat and a traitor at all. However, after reading the discussions in this forum, I think it makes alot of sense. It also solves the mystery of how the informat was ambushed by Wo Fat, which conveniently led McGarrett to the governor and played into Wo Fat's hands. And Wo Fat now has a mole that gives him inside information of Five-O, so he'll always be one step or two ahead of the team. Personally, I think it is great to let the series have a villain who is not only intelligent and ruthless, but also always ahead of the heroes and their investigation. This gives the show a main plot that is very engrossing and dynamic to watch, and I can see Wo Fat being the hook of the series for many years to come.

Oh, and although Five-O is a thrilling show to watch, one of my main reasons for watching it will always be Grace Park. I hope Kono will be reinstated soon, but I'm definitely intrigued by the new hottie that they introduced.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 09-26-2011, 11:05 AM   #84
Teelie
Mostly Harmless

For those who can't see also alternative link

Old 09-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #85
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Finally caught up with season 2 premiere last night, and I totally did not see Kaye being a turncoat and a traitor at all. However, after reading the discussions in this forum, I think it makes alot of sense. It also solves the mystery of how the informat was ambushed by Wo Fat, which conveniently led McGarrett to the governor and played into Wo Fat's hands. And Wo Fat now has a mole that gives him inside information of Five-O, so he'll always be one step or two ahead of the team. Personally, I think it is great to let the series have a villain who is not only intelligent and ruthless, but also always ahead of the heroes and their investigation. This gives the show a main plot that is very engrossing and dynamic to watch, and I can see Wo Fat being the hook of the series for many years to come.

Oh, and although Five-O is a thrilling show to watch, one of my main reasons for watching it will always be Grace Park. I hope Kono will be reinstated soon, but I'm definitely intrigued by the new hottie that they introduced.
But it's not really doing anything new. It's just following the blueprint of the original Hawaii Five-O series, where Wo Fat was the recurring villain who was always a few steps ahead of the team, always escaped and was the hook of the series. They've just upped his deadliness factor.

I really hope the iconic sensory deprivation tank scene is used on McGarratt or one of the team by Wo Fat in a season finale cliffhanger one day.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #86
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
But it's not really doing anything new. It's just following the blueprint of the original Hawaii Five-O series, where Wo Fat was the recurring villain who was always a few steps ahead of the team, always escaped and was the hook of the series. They've just upped his deadliness factor.

I really hope the iconic sensory deprivation tank scene is used on McGarratt or one of the team by Wo Fat in a season finale cliffhanger one day.
Well, all four of the Five-O members are a new interpretation of the original team, except for Kono who was a male character not a sexy drop-dead gorgeous lady like Grace Park is. So although Wo Fat may not be anything "new", the important thing for this update of the old Five-O series has always been its execution of the plots and its interesting array of characters, so I don't think it's a problem at all.

Btw, I'd like to find out more about why Kaye is a traitor, and if she had fabricated her back story (about having her parents killed by Wo Fat) just to get inside Five-O, or did she got "recruited" by Wo Fat after she joined the team.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 09-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #87
LostSon88
Side-Kick

It wasn't her parents, it was her fiance'.

...supposably.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #88
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
It wasn't her parents, it was her fiance'.

...supposably.
Oops, my bad. I do wonder if Five-O ever bothered to check her story re: Wo Fat, or is her background as CIA analyst convinced them from the get-go.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:35 PM   #89
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Didn't steve talk to someone in cia about kaye

Old 09-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #90
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Yes he did. That's how he knew she was lying about telling McGarrett to back off on Wo Fat. He found out she was on leave and was simply conducting her own investigation out of Wo Fat wanting to get revenge. But of course that was a play.

I mean who knows how deep Wo Fat's connections and conspiracy goes. I mean think about this. He was in league with the governor, the highest elected official for a state. He was able to sneak in and out of a prison in nothing but a guard uniform no problem in order to murder someone in a maximum security federal prison. Wouldn't surprise me if Wo Fat has connections in the CIA and FBI as well to keep the trail cold.

Didn't we already know that Lauren German and Masi Oka were upped to series regulars for season 2? Pretty sure that all came out over the summer.

- CM Punk
Old 09-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #91
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Masi Oka was talked about, but they never said anything about German being a regular. I think we all just assumed she would be recurring.

Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 09-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #92
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I'm pretty sure I read in this thread that Oka and German's characters would become regular cast members.

Sort of like that other character, the big Samoan dude who was also in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. He's virtually a regular cast member at this point.

What I really want though is more of Chin and his ex-fiancee played by Reiko Aylesworth.

- CM Punk
Old 09-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #93
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Every notice besides Scott Cann they keep hiring actors who come from genre shows.
The new governor was on The Sarah Connor Chronicles.even Lauren German Is slightly
In that camp from being on Happy Town.All the ads for new season was all about
Terry O'quinn being on show.Of course any show would be stupid to hire him and not
be braging about It.I just hope Daniel Dae Kim doesn't suffer for lack of screen time.
what some may forget Is he is a joss whedon veteran having had a recurring role prelost
as Evil lawyer on Angel from end of season 2 to first half of season 4.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #94
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I'm pretty sure I read in this thread that Oka and German's characters would become regular cast members.

Sort of like that other character, the big Samoan dude who was also in Forgetting Sarah Marshall. He's virtually a regular cast member at this point.

What I really want though is more of Chin and his ex-fiancee played by Reiko Aylesworth.
I think unless Oka and other actors get some kind of mention in the opening credit, there will always be speculation that they are just reoccuring characters, and not permanent. I think they want to keep the core 4 members around, but just keep adding supporting characters to keep the show fresh.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #95
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Every notice besides Scott Cann they keep hiring actors who come from genre shows.
The new governor was on The Sarah Connor Chronicles.even Lauren German Is slightly
In that camp from being on Happy Town.All the ads for new season was all about
Terry O'quinn being on show.Of course any show would be stupid to hire him and not
be braging about It.I just hope Daniel Dae Kim doesn't suffer for lack of screen time.
what some may forget Is he is a joss whedon veteran having had a recurring role prelost
as Evil lawyer on Angel from end of season 2 to first half of season 4.
Daniel Dae Kim was also in that short-lived sci-fi show Babylon 5: Crusade, and later LOST. He's a veteran of the genre shows.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #96
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Oka is in the opening credits....well he was last week.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 09-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #97
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Oka is in the opening credits....well he was last week.
Oh yeah he is, I forgot about that. Personally, I do hope he'll be a permanent cast member and not just reoccuring.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #98
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Daniel Dae Kim was also in that short-lived sci-fi show Babylon 5: Crusade, and later LOST. He's a veteran of the genre shows.
I watched Crusade since I also was fan of Babylon 5.Plus he also had small
recurring part on Star Trek enterprise season 3.I mentioned Angel because
when you have been on a Joss whedon show you have a cult audence
always aware of you.Lost was not his first genre show.It reenforces the
point that genre actors or actors from cult shows end up on the show.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #99
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post

The difference is Wo Fat has appeared more times already in one season than he did in the entire run of the old show. Plus there was zero personal issue between him and McGarrett.

Torture has moved on, I'd be surprised if we see that, as it was about creating sleeper agents in the US government right? that's cold war stuff which was fitting for the era the old show was in.

Quote:
Yes he did. That's how he knew she was lying about telling McGarrett to back off on Wo Fat. He found out she was on leave and was simply conducting her own investigation out of Wo Fat wanting to get revenge. But of course that was a play.
When McGarrett checked her out he never actually got a visual confirmation did he?

Quote:
Didn't we already know that Lauren German and Masi Oka were upped to series regulars for season 2? Pretty sure that all came out over the summer.
Oka yes, but until last week's promo I didn't even know they were adding another female agent.

Quote:
That angle seems to have been dropped altogether sadly.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #100
Donut
Side-Kick

Did Canada air episode 2 early ? It is gettable now

Closed Thread