Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #26
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Default Re: Dead Space 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwood View Post
Hmm. I'm guessing the crouching will be a result of a monster that you have to duck and cover from. Probably something that shoots out blades or some scary **** like that.

I really hope they don't get rid of Ellie. They mention that Isaac has a new guide in this game, I'd be really bummed if they offed Ellie in favor of someone new.
I think the cover system will have to do more with the humans you fight, which right there puts this game below DS 1 and DS 2.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #27
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

I'm still remaining cautiously optimistic. I remember there were many similar worries about DS2 when EA/Visceral announced that they were taking a more action-y approach, but that game turned out absolutely fantastic.

I have high hopes that they won't screw this up.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #28
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
I'm still remaining cautiously optimistic. I remember there were many similar worries about DS2 when EA/Visceral announced that they were taking a more action-y approach, but that game turned out absolutely fantastic.

I have high hopes that they won't screw this up.
Yea and even then i never had a problem with what they were saying, but yea you are absolutely right, people got worked up over that. The difference there tho was DS 1 had its fair share of action, in fact at the end of damn near every hallway you had to blast something so them kicking that up a notch wasn't, imo, too much of a stretch. Here tho, they're talking about a cover system and fighting other humans as well as co-op. Just seems like they are going too far in the other direction.

Im still not the least bit impressed with what iv heard so far(if this is true), so I'm going to continue to rage and then hopefully when they finally show the game off ill be super impressed and calm back down to some normalish state of mind.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #29
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

At one point in Dead Space 3, Isaac and his counterpart stumble, wounded, bloody, and missing chunks of armor, out of burnt wreckage together. In single-player, the same scene happens without the other character.

NO.

The Plasma Cutter, whose default horizontal shot changed to vertical, is an entirely different weapon now.

NO.

Crouching is one of Isaac's most notable new abilities, and it functions as his means of cover as he hides behind small objects.

NO.

For the first time in the franchise, he'll fight human beings.

WHAT THE F**K.

I was a little weary with the idea that I would have to purchase another EA product but with these details it looks like I won't have to hahah. So I guess Silent Hill is the only horror series left standing. The day that franchise gets a stupid co-op addition and cover based shooting mechanics I'll prolly lose the will to live.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #30
Donut
Side-Kick

EA: We no longer make games

We ruin them

Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #31
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
At one point in Dead Space 3, Isaac and his counterpart stumble, wounded, bloody, and missing chunks of armor, out of burnt wreckage together. In single-player, the same scene happens without the other character.

NO.

The Plasma Cutter, whose default horizontal shot changed to vertical, is an entirely different weapon now.

NO.

Crouching is one of Isaac's most notable new abilities, and it functions as his means of cover as he hides behind small objects.

NO.

WHAT THE F**K.

I was a little weary with the idea that I would have to purchase another EA product but with these details it looks like I won't have to hahah. So I guess Silent Hill is the only horror series left standing. The day that franchise gets a stupid co-op addition and cover based shooting mechanics I'll prolly lose the will to live.
But there hasn't been an actual good Silent Hill game in years.

Amnesia, dude, buy Amnesia. It's the PERFECT survival horror. Scary as hell.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #32
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
EA: We no longer make games

We ruin them
Hahah good tag line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
But there hasn't been an actual good Silent Hill game in years.

Amnesia, dude, buy Amnesia. It's the PERFECT survival horror. Scary as hell.
Downpour looks pretty good but I'm waiting for a price drop, heh. Totally though, I'm gonna be getting new PC parts this week. I'm pretty psyched to hop into it.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #33
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:

NO.

NO.

NO.

WHAT THE F**K.

Wait whats wrong with your co op partner not being there when you're playing single player. I love that, its like Halo and the perfect way to do co op. Don't shoehorn that second player in like RE5 does. I also see nothing wrong with fighting humans or crouching. I think you guys are overreacting just a bit. I'll take everything back though if we see gameplay and it looks bad.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #34
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I think the co-op idea sounds great, DS3 needed to bring something new to the table - much as I loved DS2 it was DS1 but BIGGER. Co-op if they work hard at it could really be unique.

Should have been Ellie though - but I guess they figure gamers don't want to play as a girl or something.

The thing I am seriously cautious about is fighting human enemies, that almost never turns out well in action horror games. That and the plasma cutter.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.

Last edited by Upset Spideyfan; 05-09-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #35
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Wait whats wrong with your co op partner not being there when you're playing single player. I love that, its like Halo and the perfect way to do co op. Don't shoehorn that second player in like RE5 does. I also see nothing wrong with fighting humans or crouching. I think you guys are overreacting just a bit. I'll take everything back though if we see gameplay and it looks bad.
Co-op and horror games do not mix well. Having someone with you alleviates any feeling of terror or dread you could potentially experience. Creatively it can be done, but even then I can only see the potential scares coming from when you're separated from your partner; that kind of approach would make the whole thing pointless anyway coz it'd be like you were playing alone. I do think it's fantastic that they plan to leave it completely optional but from my POV it just brings an unnecessary complexity to the design process.

Fighting humans, crouching and cover mechanics... YAY, another action shooter! I don't mind improvement, I just hate it when the improvement is nothin' but co-op inclusion and cranking the action up to over 9000 w/ a weak imitation of Gears of War combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
I think the co-op idea sounds great, DS3 needed to bring something new to the table - much as I loved DS2 it was DS1 but BIGGER. Co-op if they work hard at it could really be unique.

Should have been Ellie though - but I guess they figure gamers don't want to play as a girl or something.

The thing I am seriously cautious about is fighting human enemies, that almost never turns out well in action horror games. That and the plasma cutter.
It would be pretty rad if they made the 2nd player Ellie but I'd rather them not make her role in the story optional.

Changing the plasma cutters is the worst thing of all though. I f**king loathe when devs take existing weapons and change them up with little to no explanation in the game universe.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #36
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Yeah the changes to the plasma cutter are a bit of a shock. I mean, it's the franchise's most identifiable weapon...why would you change it?

The cover system worries me because it completely changes the gameplay style, and you're no longer forced to be out in the open, which could totally ruin the sense of dread DS is so great at. I mean, it's a lot less scary if a necromorph is running at you and you can just crouch/hide behind a desk...

The human enemies don't bother me much because there was already a human conflict in DS2, both in the main story and the DLC, you just didn't get to physically fight humans (just a spaceship piloted by humans). I don't see the huge deal there, so long as it doesn't become a main focus or anything.

Like I said, though: cautious optimism. If they ruin this franchise I will never forgive them. EVER.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #37
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

I pretty much mirror everyone else's uneasiness. I dont have a problem with the co-op tho, especially with the way its being implemented. When i first got Dead Space i played it while i was in a party chat talking with buddies and that game still scared the piss outta me, so I'm not worried about the co-op reducing the fear factor. If it does, then ill just go back to the single player.

Im concerned about everything else they're saying could end up in the game. I felt Dead Space 2 hit all the right notes and cleaned up all the flaws Dead Space had. I see no reason to chuck that formula out the window and turn this game into John Woo's Dead Space.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #38
Wolfwood
Shasta McNasty

Quote:
Hahah good tag line.

Downpour looks pretty good but I'm waiting for a price drop, heh. Totally though, I'm gonna be getting new PC parts this week. I'm pretty psyched to hop into it.
I've been watching some guy play Downpour, it's pretty weaksauce man. I mean, it looks okay, but far from being an awesome Silent Hill game.

I'm okay with the Human enemies cause there's ultimately going to be that moment where everything goes to **** and it's just utter chaos with all sides fighting each other. That'll be fun.

I'm just hoping Ellie doesn't get replaced. That scene in part 2 involving the eyeball was ****ing awesome.

Henchman for Shadaloo
Old 05-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #39
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:

I'm just hoping Ellie doesn't get replaced. That scene in part 2 involving the eyeball was ****ing awesome.

The early reports are that she does show up in the game. They also believe the co op partner from this game could be a figment of Isaacs imagination as he's still dealing with the mental issues that plagued him last game.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #40
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Got no problems with the supposed additions:

Co-op - looks to be implemented well. The DS series is one of the few that I know of where my friends LOVE sitting down to watch me play. Knowing they can jump into the game to is great.

Crouching - Nearly every game allows you to crouch for one reason or another. Not having it is an outdated mechanic. Plus, we don't know how exactly the game will use it/require it, so complaining about it is useless.

Human enemies - like crouching, we don't know the story and how the humans will be involved. I'm sure they aren't going to replace the creatures as the main antagonists.

It doesn't matter what it is, books, movies, games, etc; franchises need to adapt and add or else they grow old and stale.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #41
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post

It doesn't matter what it is, books, movies, games, etc; franchises need to adapt and add or else they grow old and stale.

Dead Space wasn't even remotely in that area yet. They've had 2 games that used their current formula very well. No need to alter it just to please the mindless CoD crowd. At no point in DS1 or DS2 did i say, ya know what, i could use a crouch button. Not having it isn't an outdated mechanic, it means its not needed. Neither are human enemies. The necromorphs are a varied species, I'm sure the talent at Visceral could of come up with even more ideas without having to turn Dead Space into a Gears of War clone. Some of the best aspects of Dead Space were fighting these gruesome, John Carpenter inspired monsters with weapons that weren't designed to be used as weapons(i.e. the plasma cutter, which sounds like is getting f**ked over).

Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #42
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I like cover mechanics. I like Dead Space. I had no desire to see cover mechanics in Dead Space.

If I see a screenshot of Isaac behind chest-high cover fighting Unitologist troops with LT to aim and RT to shoot I am going to be irritated.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #43
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

lol then prepare to be irritated because that's clearly going to happen at some point in the game.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #44
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
I look forward to an 8 player multiplayer horror campaign with a tonne of DLC skins, unlocks & exclusives.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #45
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

I don't know, I'm an open-minded person but a few of these changes seems off. Even so, I'll hold off any judgement until we get to see/hear more. I just hope that this is the right move for this franchise.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #46
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
lol then prepare to be irritated because that's clearly going to happen at some point in the game.

Yep. Ugggggh

Old 05-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #47
BrollySupersj
Undying Nuclear Reptile

I always did want to kill those Unitologist ****ers. I guess this might not be so bad.

That's if they're an enemy in the game of course.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #48
Wolfwood
Shasta McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
I always did want to kill those Unitologist ****ers. I guess this might not be so bad.

That's if they're an enemy in the game of course.
After the ******** they tried to pull on Isaac in part 2, I wouldn't mind getting a shot at them either.

Henchman for Shadaloo
Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #49
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I look forward to an 8 player multiplayer horror campaign with a tonne of DLC skins, unlocks & exclusives.
My wallet is ready.

Quote:
I've been watching some guy play Downpour, it's pretty weaksauce man. I mean, it looks okay, but far from being an awesome Silent Hill game.

I'm okay with the Human enemies cause there's ultimately going to be that moment where everything goes to **** and it's just utter chaos with all sides fighting each other. That'll be fun.

That's why I'm waiting for a price drop.

I just think it's silly that there would be Unitologist commandos... why fight with guns and grenades when you can evolve into a necromorph, y'know? I was thinking about it more though and if the humans were under the delusion that Isaac is a necromorph that could be cool. I think it's in the first cartoon they had, the marker made the crew hallucinate that the rest of the crew were necromorphs to spread around on the dead bodies.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #50
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Bleh, I'm tired of half-assed multiplayer being shoved into everything. FPS games have multiplayer down to an art form and no one else has pulled it off that well. It doesn't belong in the horror genre. If they turn this into a FPS to accommodate multiplayer I will rage! Getting rid of the Plasma Cutter upsets me, too.

Closed Thread