The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 06:01 PM   #76
BrollySupersj
YES I DID IT!

Default Re: Dead Space 3

Universal ammo system? That's...a little odd. I liked the mutiple ammo system from the first game. Makes you prioritize which weapons you'll need more than others.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #77
Wolfwood
Shasta McNasty

I guess it doesn't matter much to me, I usually stuck with two weapons anyways lol.

Still no mention of Ellie...very sad.

Henchman for Shadaloo
Old 06-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #78
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
Universal ammo system? That's...a little odd. I liked the mutiple ammo system from the first game. Makes you prioritize which weapons you'll need more than others.
Yea I agree, although like wolfwood, I primarily stuck to the line gun and plasma cutter

Old 06-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #79
Marvolo
Side-Kick

What does universal ammo drops mean? I don't know all the gamer terms. I'm cautiously optimistic about this game.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 06-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #80
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
What does universal ammo drops mean? I don't know all the gamer terms. I'm cautiously optimistic about this game.
I'm assuming it means one ammo type for all guns. So u won't need to find plasma cutter ammo for the plasma cutter, any ammo u pick up would work

Old 06-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #81
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
I'm assuming it means one ammo type for all guns. So u won't need to find plasma cutter ammo for the plasma cutter, any ammo u pick up would work
Thanks for the answer. Eh, sounds like an over simplification to me. I mean this series started as a horror series, and now its a co-op, online, action series. I miss the horror of the first, and the sense of dread. The second one just didn't give me that same feeling. I also miss the quiet Isaac, but that was an inevitable change. Too bad he didn't have his tongue ripped out or something. Something very cool about a silent blue collar worker trying to survive.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 06-02-2012, 08:13 PM   #82
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Thanks for the answer. Eh, sounds like an over simplification to me. I mean this series started as a horror series, and now its a co-op, online, action series. I miss the horror of the first, and the sense of dread. The second one just didn't give me that same feeling. I also miss the quiet Isaac, but that was an inevitable change. Too bad he didn't have his tongue ripped out or something. Something very cool about a silent blue collar worker trying to survive.
Eh, I agree on the ammo issue, the rest were needed changes tho. The 1st game suffered from poor pacing and a lead character u just didn't care about due to the fact he was nothing more than a silent errand boy. I felt the action and horror mixed well in the 2nd game. I just don't think there needs to be any more action tho. Still people were having the EXACT same argument (too much action) last time and DS2 turned out great

Old 06-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #83
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Very few horror games in my experience remain good once they start to introduce "human" enemies. That and the game is going to have cover mechanics means the core mechanics and design philosophies of this game are going to be different. It might not necessarily be bad, in fact I'm sure the game will be if nothing else a competent 3rd person shooter but its not at all where I was hoping the series would go. Red alert klaxons are just going off in my head with every new bit of information released.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.

Last edited by Upset Spideyfan; 06-02-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #84
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Eh, I agree on the ammo issue, the rest were needed changes tho. The 1st game suffered from poor pacing and a lead character u just didn't care about due to the fact he was nothing more than a silent errand boy. I felt the action and horror mixed well in the 2nd game. I just don't think there needs to be any more action tho. Still people were having the EXACT same argument (too much action) last time and DS2 turned out great
I disagree about the Issac being silent. It worked wonderfully in the first game due to it adding to the creepiness. You didn't know what your character was thinking so you only had your own thoughts. He could be as terrified, and brave as you were. He was an avatar for the player going through this ****ed-up hellish ship. It probably wouldn't have worked with the bigger story of 2, but I think it was perfect for the first game. I like to feel scared and it was easier for that to happen when I didn't have Issac's own thoughts and musings getting in the way. I, the player, and Isaac were one in the same. My thoughts were his thoughts. I just wasn't creeped out at all by the second one, and a lot of it had to do with that being gone. No longer was I thinking for Isaac. He had his own scripted thoughts, and ideas so I felt like I was more along for the ride than actually being immersed in the world through Issac.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 06-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #85
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
I disagree about the Issac being silent. It worked wonderfully in the first game due to it adding to the creepiness. You didn't know what your character was thinking so you only had your own thoughts. He could be as terrified, and brave as you were. He was an avatar for the player going through this ****ed-up hellish ship. It probably wouldn't have worked with the bigger story of 2, but I think it was perfect for the first game. I like to feel scared and it was easier for that to happen when I didn't have Issac's own thoughts and musings getting in the way. I, the player, and Isaac were one in the same. My thoughts were his thoughts. I just wasn't creeped out at all by the second one, and a lot of it had to do with that being gone. No longer was I thinking for Isaac. He had his own scripted thoughts, and ideas so I felt like I was more along for the ride than actually being immersed in the world through Issac.

Yea I can see why they didn't want to give him a voice but that didn't pay off and it showed as Isaacs lack of characterization was one of the most criticized elements of the first game, which they rectified to near universal praise(and better review scores)

Old 06-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #86
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
Very few horror games in my experience remain good once they start to introduce "human" enemies. That and the game is going to have cover mechanics means the core mechanics and design philosophies of this game are going to be different. It might not necessarily be bad, in fact I'm sure the game will be if nothing else a competent 3rd person shooter but its not at all where I was hoping the series would go. Red alert klaxons are just going off in my head with every new bit of information released.
Yea I'm NOT feeling the inclusion of human enemies at all

Old 06-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #87
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yea I can see why they didn't want to give him a voice but that didn't pay off and it showed as Isaacs lack of characterization was one of the most criticized elements of the first game, which they rectified to near universal praise(and better review scores)
Well, it payed off for some, myself included. I don't always need strong characterization for the main character in games. Yeah, its cool in games like Uncharted and adventure dramas, but in survival horror the main character is more of an avatar that I walk through world with. In Dead Space 1 I got all the characterization I needed. He was a blue collar worker on a standard work assignment hoping to see his wife. Once the **** hit the fan I really didn't need to know more or care to know more. We were told enough to understand his motivations, and to make us pity his situation. I play these games to be scared. Dead Space 1 did that. Dead Space 2 did not, and for me a big reason is Issac's new found personality.

Quote:
Yea I'm NOT feeling the inclusion of human enemies at all
As for human enemies, well, there has always been a human element to this because the Unitologists in the game have an agenda. Up til now there involvement has been off screen, or Issac hasn't come in direct contact with them. But there has always been human enemies. Issac just hasn't had to go toe to toe with them personally. Issac is trying to stop this craziness and the Unitology church want to make sure their agenda succeeds so of course Issac will come up against them. In every faith there are radical fighters or zealots who will do anything to see that their faith's agenda prevails. If people truly want more story and characterization then this is a logical progression.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 06-02-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #88
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

E3 trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...space-3/730996

ACTION ACTION EXPLOSIONS CO-OP BLAHHHRRRRGGGHHH!!!!11! MOUNTAIN DEW!!!!

I dunno, man. I thought it started off great but it looks way too action focused. Co-op does not belong in this game IMO.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #89
Marvolo
Side-Kick

I miss the horror of the first game. That being said, Issac has been through this two times. At this point he is the John McClain to the Necromorphs. They aren't going to frighten him so much as make him want to obliterate them. The paralyzing fear isn't there anymore. My suggestion is for Dead space 4 to bring in a new main character. That would bring back some horror. Also, set it in an underground facility or deep space and bring back the clausterphobic setting and sense of hopelessness.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #90
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

Yeah, I'm not impressed. It's looks light on the survival-horror elements and more action-oriented.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #91
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Here's the E3 gameplay trailer:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3...space-3/731000

I know I said I wouldn't judge, but it seriously looks like Gears of War or some garbage. When Issac did a combat roll into cover I literally facepalmed.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #92
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Just watched the gameplay. WTF was that? Cause it sure as hell wasn't dead space. More like if Gears of War and Lost Planet had a child. I really dont understand why every ****ing game has to cater to the shootem-up crowd. This was a survival horror franchise and now it is an unoriginal action franchise. Nothing in that gameplay hasn't been done to death in action games so why not instead try something new in survival horror? I mean damn! Way to go the completely wrong direction. Also what is up with all the cheesy dialogue and **** word every five seconds? I don't mind cussing or dialogue but the script and dialogue appear to be aimed at the adolescent ADD online crowd.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #93
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I REALLY REALLY tried to just say "let me see how this looks," but SIGH.

SIGH.

The Doctor
Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #94
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

I haven't watched the footage yet, but Aliens had a lot more action than Alien and a lot of people consider Aliens to be the better film. Maybe this will end up the same?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #95
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
I haven't watched the footage yet, but Aliens had a lot more action than Alien and a lot of people consider Aliens to be the better film. Maybe this will end up the same?
Games are a different beast from movies. When it comes to games horror fans want horror. We don't mind some action but by empowering the main character too much you strip the threat away. Dead Space 3 is an action game which makes it light years from the survival horror genre and the ffirst game. This franchise has changed drastically. This game looks to be doing nothing new or original in the action genre or the survival horror genre. That is a pretty big black mark against it before its even out of the gate. For a franchise that started out rejuvenating a dying genre they have sure as hell tried their best to ignore the fact and shoot themselves in the foot.

They could have went on to own the horror genre and push the boundaries. Instead they have jumped into a genre that is already oversaturated and they haven't done anything new in that genre or pushed it. We have enough action games. They are squandering talent and a franchise.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 06-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #96
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Games are a different beast from movies. When it comes to games horror fans want horror. We don't mind some action but by empowering the main character too much you strip the threat away. Dead Space 3 is an action game which makes it light years from the survival horror genre and the ffirst game. This franchise has changed drastically. This game looks to be doing nothing new or original in the action genre or the survival horror genre. That is a pretty big black mark against it before its even out of the gate. For a franchise that started out rejuvenating a dying genre they have sure as hell tried their best to ignore the fact and shoot themselves in the foot.

They could have went on to own the horror genre and push the boundaries. Instead they have jumped into a genre that is already oversaturated and they haven't done anything new in that genre or pushed it. We have enough action games. They are squandering talent and a franchise.

Dead Space 2 was the better game of the two and it had more action. Again, I still haven't watched the footage but we had this argument when DS2 was announced and it turned out great

Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #97
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Dead Space 2 was the better game of the two and it had more action. Again, I still haven't watched the footage but we had this argument when DS2 was announced and it turned out great
You need to watch the footage. Dead Space 2 looked like Dead Space. That gameplay demo looks like Gears of War mixed with Lost Planet. If it wasn't for the RIGs I would think it was Lost Planet.

And personally I found Dead Space 2 inconsistent and a bit all over the place.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 06-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #98
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

The first half of the presentation looks fine, I don't like Carver since his presence just leads to a lot of "****, NO ****," dialogue but it still looked like DS.

The second half didn't look like DS at all - and honestly I don't like Isaac being able to hold his own in a firefight against armed troops; Necromorph killing machine of course but I appreciate that in DS2 Isaac's general behavior towards armed troops is to run/avoid.

The Doctor
Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #99
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Yeah...you seriously need to watch the footage, Pat. It literally looks like they dropped Isaac into a Gears of War game.

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love the frozen planet idea, and the environments look great. But seriously, the banter between Isaac and Carver and the way they move through the map and make quips to each other and the action packed combat rolls and popping out of cover to shoot a machinegun and the endless testosterone-injected-curse-filled-dialogue...

Sorry, brah, but it just doesn't seem like Dead Space. At all. And I loved the action in DS2.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #100
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
Yeah...you seriously need to watch the footage, Pat. It literally looks like they dropped Isaac into a Gears of War game.

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely love the frozen planet idea, and the environments look great. But seriously, the banter between Isaac and Carver and the way they move through the map and make quips to each other and the action packed combat rolls and popping out of cover to shoot a machinegun and the endless testosterone-injected-curse-filled-dialogue...

Sorry, brah, but it just doesn't seem like Dead Space. At all. And I loved the action in DS2.
You really summed it up. Even in dead space 2s action scenes there was still fear because these ****ers could pop up anywhere and slaughter you. That seems o be gone and replaced with this testosterone fueled "Who's my *****! **** Yeah! Die muther****er Die!!!" Mentality.

At least in Dead Space 2 they kept some horror within the action. Here is seems they have left it out completely and the stupid banter negates the atmosphere almost entirely.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 06-04-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Closed Thread