The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #101
BrollySupersj
YES I DID IT!

Default Re: Dead Space 3

Footage looks fine to me. Going to an action based setting really doesn't bother me much. I mean, Issac can't stay an ignorant engineer forever, he's gotta learn skills sooner or later.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #102
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Yea i just watched the footage and you are all definitely right about the action. Thats crazy excessive. But.... as much as i wanted to hate that footage, i didn't. I loved it. Thought it looked like wicked fun. I guess i just dont give a s**t as to what genre they take the game in. I like Isaac Clarke and the necromorph enemy more than i liked the genre that the game found itself in. I didn't care for the human enemies tho. Who knows tho, maybe ill play the game, hate it, then realize i actually did care what genre the game was.

Also, as to the banter, just dont play co-op. Haven't they said theres basically 2 different stories, one with Carver tagging along and the other without?

Old 06-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #103
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Yeah I think he isn't in the single player story.

Also, why does more action have to mean less horror? I got no problem with more action if they up the horror but its like they don't know how. There has to be a balance which it seems they couldn't manage with this game. Based on that gameplay that is. I'm hoping the gameplay footage is not indicative of the whole game. Honestly if they couldn't figure out a way to up the action AND the horror then why even bother. Come up with a new game and save Dead Space 3 for when they have a good idea.

As always, I remain cautiously optimistic and reserve final judgement until release day.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #104
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Yeah I think he isn't in the single player story.

Also, why does more action have to mean less horror? I got no problem with more action if they up the horror but its like they don't know how. There has to be a balance which it seems they couldn't manage with this game. Based on that gameplay that is. I'm hoping the gameplay footage is not indicative of the whole game. Honestly if they couldn't figure out a way to up the action AND the horror then why even bother. Come up with a new game and save Dead Space 3 for when they have a good idea.

As always, I remain cautiously optimistic and reserve final judgement until release day.

Yea thats a good point. Altho Dead Space 2 did a great job with that. Remember the Tram section of the game(it was also one of the first sections demoed that had us freaking out)? Hardcore, heart racing action. Then what about the return to the Ishimura(one of my all time fav levels in gaming). We didn't see an enemy for like 10 minutes, creepy as all hell. Maybe DS3 will do some sections like that.

I can think of a scenario(co-op) that would have you and your partner exploring some derelict environment and Isaac having to go to one section and your teammate going to another. Suddenly you're alone, worrying about if you're teammate will make it back(Id assume if one of you died it would be game over). I think a scenario like that could be pretty damn creepy, if you wanted to do the co-op.

I mean Visceral has given us two great games. Im gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, until i play a game in this series that i hate.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #105
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Yea thats a good point. Altho Dead Space 2 did a great job with that. Remember the Tram section of the game(it was also one of the first sections demoed that had us freaking out)? Hardcore, heart racing action. Then what about the return to the Ishimura(one of my all time fav levels in gaming). We didn't see an enemy for like 10 minutes, creepy as all hell. Maybe DS3 will do some sections like that.

I can think of a scenario(co-op) that would have you and your partner exploring some derelict environment and Isaac having to go to one section and your teammate going to another. Suddenly you're alone, worrying about if you're teammate will make it back(Id assume if one of you died it would be game over). I think a scenario like that could be pretty damn creepy, if you wanted to do the co-op.

I mean Visceral has given us two great games. Im gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, until i play a game in this series that i hate.
I agree on all points. Dead Space 2 managed to strike a decent balance most of the time and I hop it happens in this game and that we've only seen the action side here. They picked this bit of gameplay no doubt because eit is well lit, action oriented, and attention grabbing. Now that I think about it I doubt the whole game is like that demo.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 06-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #106
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Quote:
Also, as to the banter, just dont play co-op. Haven't they said theres basically 2 different stories, one with Carver tagging along and the other without?
That's the only shred of hope I'm hanging onto right now. I don't care if that sounds dramatic.

I'm sure that the SP (and even the co-op) campaign will still have many creepy, slow, classic Dead Space moments. I trust Visceral enough that they wouldn't turn their entire franchise into a run-of-the-mill Gears clone in that regard. However, what we have been shown really doesn't do much to say otherwise, which is concerning to say the least. Even if the campaign is full of creepy ass Necromorph encounters and fantastic environments like previous DS games, the "zomg roll here roll there pop and shoot omg swearrrrrrrring lolz" video they've shown is still burned into my mind. I mean, seriously: I don't mind some action, or even some epic (no pun intended) set pieces here and there. DS2 was full of those and it was fantastic. But DS2 also didn't have Issac making jokes and quips back and forth as if it was just one big lol that he was in the situation he was in.

I really hope that sort of stuff is contained to the co-op campaign, which I will thereby never touch.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #107
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Yeah the only thing kind of giving me hope is the notion that Carver's role will be minimal without co-op and Isaac will just get to grunt and mumble to himself.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #108
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
Yeah the only thing kind of giving me hope is the notion that Carver's role will be minimal without co-op and Isaac will just get to grunt and mumble to himself.
Yea, im DEFF playing this game solo my first run through. Then maybe ill give the co-op a try.

Still hate fighting humans tho.

That giant necro was cool. I missed that from the last game, i enjoyed the hive mind fight from DS1.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:22 AM   #109
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
DS2 was full of those and it was fantastic. But DS2 also didn't have Issac making jokes and quips back and forth as if it was just one big lol that he was in the situation he was in.
But maybe thats how he's dealing with all this stuff now. I mean from his perspective this has to be getting old. 3 separate occasions he finds himself in a damn necro out break.

Also, wasn't Isaac kind of witty in DS2. Maybe I'm off there as its been a few months since iv played DS2, but i thought he had some good banter with Ellie and the other characters no?

Old 06-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #110
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Yeah, I'm not saying he had no funny lines or sarcastic remarks, but they weren't every two seconds like in that trailer.

I just don't think co-op works, man, and for me that trailer just proves it. This isn't a game that you're supposed to sit around and romp through with your buddies for the same reason that you wouldn't have co-op in Silent Hill or something. If they had done it differently--like if Carver wasn't some wise-cracking, testosterone injected Cole Train type--maybe I would be a little more receptive to the idea. But as is, for me, it just doesn't feel like Dead Space as a result.

When you couple that with the new cover mechanics, it's even more jarring. I think that if the demo had been in a SP setting, the cover mechanics would have been far less distracting, but instead they showed us a clip right out of the Gears of War 3 intro when the ship is attacked by a giant fish thing. It's so damn similar lol I can't get over it.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #111
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not saying he had no funny lines or sarcastic remarks, but they weren't every two seconds like in that trailer.

I just don't think co-op works, man, and for me that trailer just proves it. This isn't a game that you're supposed to sit around and romp through with your buddies for the same reason that you wouldn't have co-op in Silent Hill or something. If they had done it differently--like if Carver wasn't some wise-cracking, testosterone injected Cole Train type--maybe I would be a little more receptive to the idea. But as is, for me, it just doesn't feel like Dead Space as a result.

When you couple that with the new cover mechanics, it's even more jarring. I think that if the demo had been in a SP setting, the cover mechanics would have been far less distracting, but instead they showed us a clip right out of the Gears of War 3 intro when the ship is attacked by a giant fish thing. It's so damn similar lol I can't get over it.
So dont play it in co-op. I sure as hell won't my first few run throughs, if at all.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #112
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Yah I know, but it still bothers me lol.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #113
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Yah I know, but it still bothers me lol.
Haha well if your main complaints are the roided up partner and banter between him and Isaac, it should be null if Carver isn't there. But also, the banter wasn't really coming primarily from Isaac, damn near all of it was Carver. He's the mouthy one.

I think thats the best way to implement co-op if you feel you need to(which obviously Visceral did).

Last edited by ProjectPat2280; 06-05-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #114
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Haha well if your main complaints are the roided up partner and banter between him and Isaac, it should be null if Carver isn't there. But also, the banter wasn't really coming primarily from Isaac, damn near all of it was Carver. He's the mouthy one.

I think thats the best way to implement co-op if you feel you need to(which obviously Visceral did).
I would have liked if Carver had been some creepy, mumbling ,nearly broken human being that looked and acted like he just crawled out of the worst hell hole this side of the galaxy. Like he'd been in situations that forced him to do things no sane human being would do, and he came out far worse than Issac. Or something along those lines. That would have added to the creepy factor and atmosphere.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 06-05-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #115
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

The Doctor
Old 06-05-2012, 02:26 AM   #116
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
I would have liked if Carver had been some creepy, mumbling ,nearly broken human being that looked and acted like he just crawled out of the worst hell hole this side of the galaxy. Like he'd been in situations that forced him to do things no sane human being would do, and he came out far worse than Issac. Or something along those lines. That would have added to the creepy factor and atmosphere.
Yea that would of been much better.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:31 AM   #117
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Quote:
EXACTLY.

That's what I was hoping they were going to do with his character. That would've fit Dead Space well and actually made the co-op seem less jarring. But, obviously they decided to go with something cliche, which makes it totally stupid IMO.

And you're right, Pat: hopefully, all the complaints I have relate directly to Carver himself and the SP campaign doesn't suffer from it without Carver around. I just hope at the same time that the SP campaign doesn't miss out on things if you don't play co-op a la Mass Effect 3.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:58 AM   #118
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
EXACTLY.

That's what I was hoping they were going to do with his character. That would've fit Dead Space well and actually made the co-op seem less jarring. But, obviously they decided to go with something cliche, which makes it totally stupid IMO.

And you're right, Pat: hopefully, all the complaints I have relate directly to Carver himself and the SP campaign doesn't suffer from it without Carver around. I just hope at the same time that the SP campaign doesn't miss out on things if you don't play co-op a la Mass Effect 3.
That's what I also thought they were doing.

Back before anything was confirmed there was word going around that Issac would have a split personality of sorts and a manifestation of his damaged psyche followed him around whispering darkly in his ear the entire game. When I first started seeing pictures of Carver and the red lit suit I thought that was this manifestation. I had no idea until today that Carver was actually a person. I mean I guess it could turn out that Carver was never actually there at all and you find this out at the end of the co-op game. That is pretty cliche if they are going that route, tho.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 06-05-2012, 04:00 AM   #119
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:

Yea I'm worried about that too. Altho iv got a few DS fans on my friends list so if that is indeed the case I'm sure I can find someone to run through the co-op with just to see the "other" story.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #120
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

It appears that this is the cover art of the game.

http://www.deadspace.com/buy

Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #121
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Sweet. I'm happy (and surprised) that Carver isn't on the cover with Isaac.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #122
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Sweet. I'm happy (and surprised) that Carver isn't on the cover with Isaac.
Im still wondering if Carver is just another hallucination of Isaacs f***ed up brain.

Altho then why would he have his own little motion comic type thing?

Old 06-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #123
Master Chief
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

To me this looks like they're setting up to get rid of Isaac. I'm not buying this lol, that footage is not at all what I want out of a Dead Space game and I don't think playing without Carver will make a big difference.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #124
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Quote:
Im still wondering if Carver is just another hallucination of Isaacs f***ed up brain.

Altho then why would he have his own little motion comic type thing?
I was hoping that's where they'd go with it, but even that ends up being true, why would Isaac hallucinate a generic, tough-guy soldier? He should've been some dark and twisted hallucination if that was to be the case; like a representation of Isaac's fractured subconscious.

Or, have Ellie be the co-op character: first female playable character in the series, one we already care about, and an interesting character/perspective to the story. I understand that they took another route with her, but it might've been more interesting than the "your princess is in another castle" thing they seem to be going for.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #125
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

I actually figured that after DS2 ended there was going to be co-op in the 3rd game based on how much they set up Ellie throughout the game as somebody who was Isaac's equal. Having Isaac's quest be to save her again is redundant since that's what he set out to do in DS2 (and Ellie ended up saving him in turn). What little interplay they had in the DS3 trailer outshone what I saw of Isaac and his testosterone fueled companion's banter.

The only Carver related thing that I found at all interesting was when he told Isaac that he wouldn't let his desire to save Ellie get in the way of their mission, but that's moreso because I wouldn't mind Isaac having to kill Carver.

The Doctor

Last edited by Upset Spideyfan; 06-05-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Closed Thread