The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 06-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Default Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

I can't believe that the only people who have the same opinion of XMO as I do are comic book nerds. I also can't believe that most people hated The Wolverine. Like the only complaints that I hear about TW are, "bad" and "Japanese." Nobody can pinpoint what they didn't like about it, just like the only thing that people say they like about XMO is, "Gambit."

Please let me know that there are people in the general public who actually have the same opinion as people on this forums? Please?

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Rike
Wat.

Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Because they're jerks?

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Rike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #3
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Different taste, I guess.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
antonydelfini
Manners Maketh Man

You're meeting the wrong kind of people.

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Because most of the time they don't know the comics, so they don't know how screwed up the Weapon X adaptation was.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Transformers movies have made over a billion. Is it really that hard to believe?

Moreover, The Wolverine did something most Hollywood blockbusters have forgotten how to do: restraint. The film is small and intimate. It doesn't have a save the world plot. And it is about building atmosphere rather than constant action.

Do you think the people that grew up on Bay's incomprehensible pile of goo are equipped to like a film like that?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by

Simple, just meet new people

But in all seriousness if someone complains that the film was too "Japanese" when its based on a comic set in, JAPAN, there isn't much you can do but do the old and be safe in the knowledge that you are far more intelligent, better looking and cooler then they can ever be

There are three certainties in life:
Death
Taxes
&
The Wolverine is a better film than XO:Wolverine

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

I know a couple of people who found The Wolverine 'too slow'. They expected a faster-paced claw-slashing action flick.

Mainstream viewers don't judge films by technical standards, they just want something they enjoy because it meets expectations.

And the high overseas gross and low domestic gross of The Wolverine shows that its non-American setting wasn't appealing to US cinemagoers who just want to see New York/Los Angeles/Washington (or fictional representations like Gotham and Metropolis) blown up.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Most people I know hated Origins and didn't watch The Wolverine because of it. The few that did much preferred The Wolverine.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
batboy99
BTVS

Too "Japanese"? Talk about underlying racism.

batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

There's a reason BASKIN-ROBBINS has 32 flavors.........there's a reason CRAYOLA has hundreds of colors.......

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Loki882
Side-Kick

I kind of feel that you don't even have to know how badly Weapon X was screwed up in order to hate XMOW. If you take the comics element out of and just look at it as a stand-alone movie, it's still doesn't hold up.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #13
Legion
Side-Kick

Or maybe The Wolverine just isn't that good? I'd say it's technically better than XMO:Wolverine, but not by much. There's definitely things about XMO:Wolverine that are better, like the cast and characters. I also think the Wolverine vs Deadpool fight was more entertaining than the Silver Samurai fight.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I kind of feel that you don't even have to know how badly Weapon X was screwed up in order to hate XMOW. If you take the comics element out of and just look at it as a stand-alone movie, it's still doesn't hold up.
Agreed. As long as they get the basic character and backstory correct, I'm open to different interpretations of it. I got enough there that Origins satisfied me on that level. It is enough that Wolverine went to Weapon X, got his adamantium skeleton, and lost his memory. Those are the crucial elements.

But the movie was just so stupid and boring, and we aren't given any reason to care about anybody other than Wolverine himself and maybe Sabretooth. There are so many pointless characters in here for no reason too. And the effects and action were awful, which being an action movie is a bad thing.

The Wolverine has much better characters and a better story. Wolverine's development as a character is shown in a way I could believe it, and characters like Yukio, Mariko, Shingen, Yashida, and Harada are given far more depth than Origins characters like Gambit, Deadpool, Blob, Wraith, and Silverfox. And the action is a lot better. The bullet train fight is possibly the best action sequence of the entire X-Men film franchise, along with the fight against Lady Deathstrike way back in X2.

So to me there is no comparison. The Wolverine isn't a perfect movie by any means, but it is lightyears better than Origins. Origins is still the only X-Men film I didn't bother buying on DVD or Blu-Ray.

I will say that everyone should watch the Director's Cut of The Wolverine. It is easily the better version of the film with more depth given to pretty much all the characters and a couple of good fight scenes added back in (including the big ninja fight in the last act).

Last edited by Kahran Ramsus; 06-09-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #15
OcStat
Side-Kick

Yeah that kind of tells it all. I have never bought Origins and it doesn't even bother me that it's the one film I'm missing in the franchise.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #16
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Hmm...I've never run into that myself, but that's interesting. Different strokes, I suppose.

I will say that most of the people I know were unimpressed with TW, but come to think of it, I don't recall asking how they felt it compared to Origins. The less said about that movie, the better, perhaps.

I found the TW to be mediocre and boring, but a mediocre movie is certainly better than an awful one. My point is that both of them are a far cry from what I'd consider a definitive cinematic adaptation of the character. The Wolverine is better, but that's not saying much.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:04 AM   #17
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
Or maybe The Wolverine just isn't that good? I'd say it's technically better than XMO:Wolverine, but not by much. There's definitely things about XMO:Wolverine that are better, like the cast and characters. I also think the Wolverine vs Deadpool fight was more entertaining than the Silver Samurai fight.
Yeah no. The "characters" in XMO were barely characters, and most of them got no real characterization or development. Wraith, Blob, that electric dude, they were barely in the movie and were only there for fanservice, not because they actually served a purpose. By contrast, the characters in TW were developed, were much more interesting, and actually had a freaking reason to be there. Oh and I'll take the Logan vs. Shingen fight over the DINO abomination any day.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #18
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I rematched The Wolverine for the first time since the Cinema last night and it's even better than I remembered. It's second only to X-Men: Days of Future Past for me.

My wife loved it also, this was her first time seeing it.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #19
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Yeah no. The "characters" in XMO were barely characters, and most of them got no real characterization or development. Wraith, Blob, that electric dude, they were barely in the movie and were only there for fanservice, not because they actually served a purpose. By contrast, the characters in TW were developed, were much more interesting, and actually had a freaking reason to be there. Oh and I'll take the Logan vs. Shingen fight over the DINO abomination any day.
"Yeah no".

That's all opinion. I would say the exact same thing about the Wolverine. All of the characters were flat and bland. What purpose did Harada and Viper have that was so essential? Robo Silver Samurai? Their roles could have swapped with any other C list character. Hell, Harada's role WAS swapped. He IS the Silver Samurai in the comics but head red shirt in the movie. Also Viper, Silver Samurai, and "old man Yashida" had no role at all in the story this film was supposed to be based on.

And you could hardly call Logan vs. Shingen a fight. It was pretty much just Logan standing there getting carved up while looking "bad ass".

Also the general audience doesn't care that Deadpool was mistreated because they don't know who he is.

So I think you must be missing the point of this thread. Why does the original poster keep running in to people that prefer XMOs over TW? My answer: Both Wolverine movies are weak but XMOs Wolverine has familiar characters such as Sabretooth, Blob, Gambit, and Stryker to keep fans interested. It also has some familiar faces...Liev Schrieber, Ryan Reynolds, Dominic Monaghan...

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #20
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Overheard two women in the ladies room after seeing DOFP this morning:

"The first Wolverine was good. That second one, where he went to Japan, that wasn't good."

"Yeah, that one was bad."

Sheesh.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #21
SoldierofWinter
Banned User

Do people hate XMO? It's not better than X1 and X2. I've never hated it though. TW is pretty slow, boring, and is inconsistent. XMO, while a dumb action flick, is consistently a dumb action flick. The movie is just entertainment, which is what people go to see movies for generally.

SoldierofWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #22
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I disagree on The Wolverine as slow and Boring but that's your oporion.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #23
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

I think Origins is easily the low point of the franchise. Even The Last Stand had more going for it. Origins isn't the worst superhero movie ever made, but that's mostly because of Hugh Jackman. He (and Liev Schreiber to an extent) elevates it above the rest of the bottom feeders. But it has nothing going for it aside from the cast.

Last edited by Kahran Ramsus; 06-14-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #24
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

I'm surprised how many people I know like origins. It's audience rating is like in the 60's which is pretty decent though I don't think it even deserves 50's.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #25
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
I can't believe that the only people who have the same opinion of XMO as I do are comic book nerds. I also can't believe that most people hated The Wolverine. Like the only complaints that I hear about TW are, "bad" and "Japanese." Nobody can pinpoint what they didn't like about it, just like the only thing that people say they like about XMO is, "Gambit."

Please let me know that there are people in the general public who actually have the same opinion as people on this forums? Please?
People I know were predisposed to hate Wolverine because of Origins.

So anyone who didn't see it or saw it and hated it did so because of Origins. And because of that I assume they probably enjoyed Origins more (due to no predisposition).

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote