The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Dasher10
Side-Kick
 
Dasher10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,549
Default Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

I can't believe that the only people who have the same opinion of XMO as I do are comic book nerds. I also can't believe that most people hated The Wolverine. Like the only complaints that I hear about TW are, "bad" and "Japanese." Nobody can pinpoint what they didn't like about it, just like the only thing that people say they like about XMO is, "Gambit."

Please let me know that there are people in the general public who actually have the same opinion as people on this forums? Please?

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:59 PM   #2
Rike
Wat.
 
Rike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ahead of its time.
Posts: 2,524
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Because they're jerks?

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

05.27.2016
Rike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #3
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion and the Baxter Building
Posts: 19,406
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Different taste, I guess.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | JEAN GREY | PORTRAYED BY FAMKE JANNSEN
"All kind of things." - X1
"This is the only way" - X2
"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:09 AM   #4
antonydelfini
Manners Maketh Man
 
antonydelfini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,793
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

You're meeting the wrong kind of people.

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 23,313
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Because most of the time they don't know the comics, so they don't know how screwed up the Weapon X adaptation was.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick
 
Tacit Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,737
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Transformers movies have made over a billion. Is it really that hard to believe?

Moreover, The Wolverine did something most Hollywood blockbusters have forgotten how to do: restraint. The film is small and intimate. It doesn't have a save the world plot. And it is about building atmosphere rather than constant action.

Do you think the people that grew up on Bay's incomprehensible pile of goo are equipped to like a film like that?

__________________
Robert Downey Jr: Max Ray
Daniel Craig: Jake Rockwell
Chris Evans: Ace Mccloud
The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
BlackFox
Red 5 standing by
 
BlackFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Yoda's mud hut
Posts: 4,385
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Simple, just meet new people

But in all seriousness if someone complains that the film was too "Japanese" when its based on a comic set in, JAPAN, there isn't much you can do but do the old and be safe in the knowledge that you are far more intelligent, better looking and cooler then they can ever be

There are three certainties in life:
Death
Taxes
&
The Wolverine is a better film than XO:Wolverine

__________________
THE DARK KNIGHT


(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,915
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

I know a couple of people who found The Wolverine 'too slow'. They expected a faster-paced claw-slashing action flick.

Mainstream viewers don't judge films by technical standards, they just want something they enjoy because it meets expectations.

And the high overseas gross and low domestic gross of The Wolverine shows that its non-American setting wasn't appealing to US cinemagoers who just want to see New York/Los Angeles/Washington (or fictional representations like Gotham and Metropolis) blown up.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, GoTG 7.5/10, CA:TWS 8/10, Interstellar 8.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick
 
Kahran Ramsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 5,269
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Most people I know hated Origins and didn't watch The Wolverine because of it. The few that did much preferred The Wolverine.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #10
batboy99
BTVS
 
batboy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,223
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Too "Japanese"? Talk about underlying racism.

batboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator
 
C. Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 45,548
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

There's a reason BASKIN-ROBBINS has 32 flavors.........there's a reason CRAYOLA has hundreds of colors.......

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,428
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

I kind of feel that you don't even have to know how badly Weapon X was screwed up in order to hate XMOW. If you take the comics element out of and just look at it as a stand-alone movie, it's still doesn't hold up.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:53 PM   #13
Legion
Side-Kick
 
Legion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,055
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Or maybe The Wolverine just isn't that good? I'd say it's technically better than XMO:Wolverine, but not by much. There's definitely things about XMO:Wolverine that are better, like the cast and characters. I also think the Wolverine vs Deadpool fight was more entertaining than the Silver Samurai fight.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick
 
Kahran Ramsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 5,269
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I kind of feel that you don't even have to know how badly Weapon X was screwed up in order to hate XMOW. If you take the comics element out of and just look at it as a stand-alone movie, it's still doesn't hold up.
Agreed. As long as they get the basic character and backstory correct, I'm open to different interpretations of it. I got enough there that Origins satisfied me on that level. It is enough that Wolverine went to Weapon X, got his adamantium skeleton, and lost his memory. Those are the crucial elements.

But the movie was just so stupid and boring, and we aren't given any reason to care about anybody other than Wolverine himself and maybe Sabretooth. There are so many pointless characters in here for no reason too. And the effects and action were awful, which being an action movie is a bad thing.

The Wolverine has much better characters and a better story. Wolverine's development as a character is shown in a way I could believe it, and characters like Yukio, Mariko, Shingen, Yashida, and Harada are given far more depth than Origins characters like Gambit, Deadpool, Blob, Wraith, and Silverfox. And the action is a lot better. The bullet train fight is possibly the best action sequence of the entire X-Men film franchise, along with the fight against Lady Deathstrike way back in X2.

So to me there is no comparison. The Wolverine isn't a perfect movie by any means, but it is lightyears better than Origins. Origins is still the only X-Men film I didn't bother buying on DVD or Blu-Ray.

I will say that everyone should watch the Director's Cut of The Wolverine. It is easily the better version of the film with more depth given to pretty much all the characters and a couple of good fight scenes added back in (including the big ninja fight in the last act).


Last edited by Kahran Ramsus; 06-09-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #15
OcStat
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 958
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Yeah that kind of tells it all. I have never bought Origins and it doesn't even bother me that it's the one film I'm missing in the franchise.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #16
Visualiza
What is a yout?
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 1,466
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Hmm...I've never run into that myself, but that's interesting. Different strokes, I suppose.

I will say that most of the people I know were unimpressed with TW, but come to think of it, I don't recall asking how they felt it compared to Origins. The less said about that movie, the better, perhaps.

I found the TW to be mediocre and boring, but a mediocre movie is certainly better than an awful one. My point is that both of them are a far cry from what I'd consider a definitive cinematic adaptation of the character. The Wolverine is better, but that's not saying much.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:04 AM   #17
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,428
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
Or maybe The Wolverine just isn't that good? I'd say it's technically better than XMO:Wolverine, but not by much. There's definitely things about XMO:Wolverine that are better, like the cast and characters. I also think the Wolverine vs Deadpool fight was more entertaining than the Silver Samurai fight.
Yeah no. The "characters" in XMO were barely characters, and most of them got no real characterization or development. Wraith, Blob, that electric dude, they were barely in the movie and were only there for fanservice, not because they actually served a purpose. By contrast, the characters in TW were developed, were much more interesting, and actually had a freaking reason to be there. Oh and I'll take the Logan vs. Shingen fight over the DINO abomination any day.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:41 PM   #18
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest
 
BH/HHH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Leeds
Posts: 15,139
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

I rematched The Wolverine for the first time since the Cinema last night and it's even better than I remembered. It's second only to X-Men: Days of Future Past for me.

My wife loved it also, this was her first time seeing it.

BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #19
Legion
Side-Kick
 
Legion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,055
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Yeah no. The "characters" in XMO were barely characters, and most of them got no real characterization or development. Wraith, Blob, that electric dude, they were barely in the movie and were only there for fanservice, not because they actually served a purpose. By contrast, the characters in TW were developed, were much more interesting, and actually had a freaking reason to be there. Oh and I'll take the Logan vs. Shingen fight over the DINO abomination any day.
"Yeah no".

That's all opinion. I would say the exact same thing about the Wolverine. All of the characters were flat and bland. What purpose did Harada and Viper have that was so essential? Robo Silver Samurai? Their roles could have swapped with any other C list character. Hell, Harada's role WAS swapped. He IS the Silver Samurai in the comics but head red shirt in the movie. Also Viper, Silver Samurai, and "old man Yashida" had no role at all in the story this film was supposed to be based on.

And you could hardly call Logan vs. Shingen a fight. It was pretty much just Logan standing there getting carved up while looking "bad ass".

Also the general audience doesn't care that Deadpool was mistreated because they don't know who he is.

So I think you must be missing the point of this thread. Why does the original poster keep running in to people that prefer XMOs over TW? My answer: Both Wolverine movies are weak but XMOs Wolverine has familiar characters such as Sabretooth, Blob, Gambit, and Stryker to keep fans interested. It also has some familiar faces...Liev Schrieber, Ryan Reynolds, Dominic Monaghan...

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #20
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 23,313
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Overheard two women in the ladies room after seeing DOFP this morning:

"The first Wolverine was good. That second one, where he went to Japan, that wasn't good."

"Yeah, that one was bad."

Sheesh.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:19 PM   #21
SoldierofWinter
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 17
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Do people hate XMO? It's not better than X1 and X2. I've never hated it though. TW is pretty slow, boring, and is inconsistent. XMO, while a dumb action flick, is consistently a dumb action flick. The movie is just entertainment, which is what people go to see movies for generally.

SoldierofWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #22
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St. Louis,Missouri
Posts: 10,894
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

I disagree on The Wolverine as slow and Boring but that's your oporion.

__________________
Best Marvel films-X2 X-Men Days of Future Past The Amazing Spider-Man X-Men Captain America The Winter Soldier The Wolverine X-Men first Class The Avengers Iron Man The Incredible Hulk
Best DC films-Superman Batman Returns Batman The Dark Knight Batman Begins Superman II The dark Knight Rises Superman Returns Watchmen
marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #23
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick
 
Kahran Ramsus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Sunshine State
Posts: 5,269
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

I think Origins is easily the low point of the franchise. Even The Last Stand had more going for it. Origins isn't the worst superhero movie ever made, but that's mostly because of Hugh Jackman. He (and Liev Schreiber to an extent) elevates it above the rest of the bottom feeders. But it has nothing going for it aside from the cast.


Last edited by Kahran Ramsus; 06-14-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:39 AM   #24
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back
 
Green Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

I'm surprised how many people I know like origins. It's audience rating is like in the 60's which is pretty decent though I don't think it even deserves 50's.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #25
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5,093
Default Re: Why do I keep meeting people who prefer Origins to TW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
I can't believe that the only people who have the same opinion of XMO as I do are comic book nerds. I also can't believe that most people hated The Wolverine. Like the only complaints that I hear about TW are, "bad" and "Japanese." Nobody can pinpoint what they didn't like about it, just like the only thing that people say they like about XMO is, "Gambit."

Please let me know that there are people in the general public who actually have the same opinion as people on this forums? Please?
People I know were predisposed to hate Wolverine because of Origins.

So anyone who didn't see it or saw it and hated it did so because of Origins. And because of that I assume they probably enjoyed Origins more (due to no predisposition).

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.