Old 09-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #178
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Default Re: Zorro Reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by -VisionsVision- View Post
Is this still happening?
Which one are you asking about?
This thread has become about two separate films.

The original topic of this thread, - the so called Year One reboot by SONY based on the Allende novel and set in classic Zorro time 1800s, as far as I know has moved to Columbia Pictures, and this was the latest update- http://www.superherohype.com/news/29...e-zorro-reboot

The Future-"Post-Apocalyptic" Zorro which at one point had García Bernal attached was being produced by FOX, has been abandoned by them, and apparently picked up by - Lantica Media and Sobini Films - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-reboot-815937

Both seem to be meandering into production hell, or straight to DVD territory.

Last edited by Mondragon; 01-22-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #179
Golgo-13
Bangers & Mash

Dominic Cooper

Every morning a Lion wakes up, it knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle, or it will starve to death.

It doesn't matter whether you're a LION or a GAZELLE when the sun comes up, you better be RUNNING!
Golgo-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:40 AM   #180
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshdarn Batman View Post
I wished for a Mask of Zorro game on Playstation but that never happened

Someone should make a Zorro game today. Something like the Arkham games only Zorroer, you know...with Tornado, swords and all that crap. I would absolutely buy one of those new consoles (I don't know what they're called these days...PS4? XBOX Ultra? I'm getting old) just for that game alone.
The world needs more Zorro.
Speaking of "Arkham games only Zorroer, you know...with Tornado, swords and all that crap."

Man I remember creating these and putting them out there as wishful thinking, during the Arkham City buzz as faux hype, hoping it would somehow happen.
Especially with the scene of him going to the theater.
Then the game came out, and there was actually a scene with Batman and a sword.

They could have so made this an actual skin for when he was in the theater, flashing back to his childhood hero.

Then with the Catwoman elements whip, bolas, most everything, plus the Sword could totally be repurposed to a Zorro skin:

Batman to Zorro combat/gadget analogues:
-Straight Combat (blocks & attacks) = Swashbuckling moves (combine Sword and main-gauche Dagger combat.)
- Sword
-"Cape Stun" = Same
-“Batclaw” = Extending Bullwhip (see Catwoman) [also used in combat mode]
-“Batarang” = Daggers (single throw no return)
- Bolos (see Catwoman) = same throw-knockout & return [also used in combat]
-"Predator mode" = Same Fox-like cunning & stealth, (hey he did it first)
-“Explosive gel” = Glycerin & length-timed burning fuses, with gunpowder.
- Exploding Batarangs = Black-powder filled wraparound Bolos.
- Smoke-Bombs = Same leather wrapped glass pellets.
- Grapnel Gun“Line Launcher” – Whip, and for distance a small spring-loaded, exploding flintlock Crossbow & line (that’s right he has one)
-“Ziplining” = Uses Sword handle to zip along line.
-"Detective Vision" = Fox vision - Amulet (given to him by White Owl, (Native American Grandmother) Amulet gives supernatural vision qualities allows him to read threats and people's anima.
- Dual pistolas.
- Batmobile = of course Tornado (remote control comes when he whistles) (also loaded with lasso, extra swords, machete, bow and arrow, and flintlock rifle)
- Landscape = El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

To bad this would make a killer game. Zorro prod. Inc. doesn't have the vision to produce something on par with the Arkham games.

Last edited by Mondragon; 01-23-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:28 AM   #181
aNarcHy2day
Screw You Mayans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
Oscar Isaac would be my pick to be the new Zorro

aNarcHy2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:28 AM   #182
-VisionsVision-
RAMPAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondragon View Post
Which one are you asking about?
This thread has become about two separate films.

The original topic of this thread, - the so called Year One reboot by SONY based on the Allende novel, as far as I know has moved to Columbia Pictures, and this was the latest update- http://www.superherohype.com/news/29...e-zorro-reboot

The Future-"Post-Apocalyptic" Zorro which at one point had García Bernal attached was being produced by FOX, has been abandoned by them, and apparently picked up by - Lantica Media and Sobini Films - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-reboot-815937

Both seem to be meandering into production hell, or straight to DVD territory.
Great, thanks.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:14 AM   #183
Reek
_________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondragon View Post

Man I remember creating these and putting them out there as wishful thinking, during the Arkham City buzz as faux hype, hoping it would somehow happen.
Especially with the scene of him going to the theater.
Then the game came out, and there was actually a scene with Batman and a sword.

They could have so made this an actual skin for when he was in the theater, flashing back to his childhood hero.

Then with the Catwoman elements whip, bolas, most everything, plus the Sword could totally be repurposed to a Zorro skin:

Batman to Zorro combat/gadget analogues:
-Straight Combat (blocks & attacks) = Swashbuckling moves (combine Sword and main-gauche Dagger combat.)
- Sword
-"Cape Stun" = Same
-“Batclaw” = Extending Bullwhip (see Catwoman) [also used in combat mode]
-“Batarang” = Daggers (single throw no return)
- Bolos (see Catwoman) = same throw-knockout & return [also used in combat]
-"Predator mode" = Same Fox-like cunning & stealth, (hey he did it first)
-“Explosive gel” = Glycerin & timed fuse gunpowder
- Exploding Batarangs = Black-powder filled wraparound Bolos.
- Smoke-Bombs = Same leather wrapped glass pellets.
- Grapnel Gun“Line Launcher” – Whip & for distance Small spring-loaded, exploding flintlock Crossbow & line (that’s right he has one)
-“Ziplining” = Uses Sword handle to zip along line.
-"Detective Vision" = Fox vision - Amulet (given to him by White Owl, (Native American Grandmother) Amulet gives supernatural vision qualities allows him to read threats and people's anima.
- Dual pistolas.
- Batmobile = of course Tornado (also loaded with lasso, extra swords, machete, bow and arrow and flintlock rifle)
- Landscape = El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles

To bad this would make a killer game. Zorro prod. Inc. doesn't have the vision to produce something on par with the Arkham games.

Reek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #184
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Jonas Cuaron to Direct Futuristic Zorro Tale 'Z' http://thr.cm/3LuQur

Quote:
Jonas Cuaron, the son of filmmaker Alfonso Cuaron who made his directorial debut with immigration thriller Desierto, has signed on to direct Z, a futuristic take on the Zorro tale.

Lantica Media and Sobini Films are behind the movie.

Lantica, the media company led by CEO Antonio Gennari that works in production and financing as well as studio space, will finance the movie with a plan to begin principal photography summer 2016 in Pinewood Dominican Republic Studios.
Veteran producer and Sobini CEO Mark Amin, whose credits include Good Killand Frida, will produce the film.
Z is a reworking the long-gestating Zorro Reborn, a post-apocalyptic take on the myth of Zorro, the pulp hero created in 1919.

The traditional stories cast Zorro as a hero of peasants and farmers who fought against corrupt and brutal officials of Spanish-held California. Z is set in the near future but keeps the idea of a masked and caped stranger taking on tyrants.

Cuaron co-wrote Gravity with Alfonso Cuaron. He co-wrote and directed Desierto, which stars Gael Garcia Bernal and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. The movie won the International Critics’ Award at the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival and is slated for release this spring by STX.

Fallen Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #185
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Thanks for the link!

I wish it had gone to the father Alfonso Cuaron that would give me great confidence and some legitimacy to this (somewhat iffy) concept.

And although I'd rather it was the "classic" Zorro setting getting the reboot, I am totally ok with a future "legacy" Zorro taking the reins.

Legacy has been a regular part of the Zorro character narrative since the 1920s, before the Phantom, before Batman ...and before beyond, yes he did it first!
And I still think there is some great potential in this idea, so this looks like an interesting development.

I hadn't heard of Jonas, but if he's taking cues from his father, this might have potential.
I'll have to check out Desierto.

He definitely seems to be able to stage a thriller working with little.

For a post apocalyptic/near Future Zorro setting, with people trying to survive a "badlands" type environment, it might work.

If they still have Gael Garcia Bernal attached to play "future" Zorro, all the better.

I'm sure people will continue to **** about this concept from a place of complete ignorance, and while it's definitely not my first choice for a Zorro production, I'll try and remain optimistic.

Last edited by Mondragon; 02-05-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #186
I SEE SPIDEY
Banned User

Father Cuaron said that he isn't in the mood to do the blockbuster thing right now. Well I guess he said that a year or two ago.

I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #187
terry78
Will you shut up?!

**** this.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:35 PM   #188
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

I sense you're not liking the news Terrance.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:55 PM   #189
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I prefer 1800's Zorro over a post apocalyptic one. The new movie may turn out good....but I have hoped for another classic one,

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #190
Black Narcissus
Pimp a Butterfly

Jonas has talent. I dig it.

Black Narcissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #191
TX85
Banned User

Well I kinda enjoyed Zorro: Generation Z (basically it was Zorro Beyond), so we'll see.

TX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #192
Galactus10
Banned User

Seems more interesting than just another re-hash of the same setting and designs.

The creativity for costume designs, specifically Zorro, could prove to be good additions to the mythology.

Book of Eli scenario with Zorro sounds intriguing enough to pay attention to through production. At the moment, I'm sold

Galactus10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:14 PM   #193
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX85 View Post
Well I kinda enjoyed Zorro: Generation Z (basically it was Zorro Beyond), so we'll see.
Oh yeah I remember that cartoon. It wasn't so bad.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:31 PM   #194
David H.
Side-Kick

This movie needs Pedro Pascal.

(and to drop the futuristic angle.)

David H. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #195
TX85
Banned User

Well it's not too futuristic considering it's in a post - apocalyptic near future. It'll be like Fall Out or Mad Max with Zorro, which would have past and a bit of futuristic elements.

I also prefer classic Zorro but a post apocalyptic does have some interesting potential. Horses could still be a transportation than Zorro having a hover bike.

TX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #196
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by David H. View Post
This movie needs Pedro Pascal.

(and to drop the futuristic angle.)
Well the "classic" origin tale set in 1800s based on the Allende Novel is still being optioned by Colombia Pictures - http://www.superherohype.com/news/29...e-zorro-reboot

As far as we know that is still in development (although at what stage of hell it's in we don't know).
"Z" (is that what we are calling the post-apoc version?) has just taken a huge leap forward.

But I'm still interested in the never told on film full classic origin tale, I would also love it if they had Pedro Pascal in mind for the classic version.
If you follow the Zorro "folklore" through the actual Joaquin Murieta, that would make an interesting Chilean connection, through Murieta(inspiration), Neruda(Poet Playwright), Allende(Novel), and finally Pedro Pascal(to play him), all of Chilean descent.

Last edited by Mondragon; 02-05-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #197
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

^^
That classic Zorro movie is in development hell. Where as this 'Z" is looking to start production later in the summer.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #198
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Not sure about the setting of this.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #199
Mondragon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX85 View Post
Well it's not too futuristic considering it's in a post - apocalyptic near future. It'll be like Fall Out or Mad Max with Zorro, which would have past and a bit of futuristic elements.

I also prefer classic Zorro but a post apocalyptic does have some interesting potential. Horses could still be a transportation than Zorro having a hover bike.
True, the setting although in the "future" throws it back into a kind of old-frontier past, where western, nomad tribes, and land-piracy type elements can all exist, which was the original pulp setting. Mixed with a salvage tech. and badlands survival, a guy wielding a sword may fit right in. (I'd even bring back the black-powder pistols, and whip)

As far as transportation "Horse vs hover bike"?. why not both. In Zorro Rides Again (1937) one of the first serials to explore a "modern" Zorro, like the Zorro name, Zorro's horse's bloodline is secretly kept alive into the future too.
He drives a modern sedan chauffeured by Renaldo, but also rides a horse.

Likely in a setting such as this a horse is more valuable commodity than any car and fuel.
And if the legacy aspect stays true, then maybe one of Tornado's descendants is secretly kept alive!
It could be the last freakin horse!

I'd love to see a horse go up against some modern tech. through a desert landscape, or nuked out city.
People peed their pants when a nuke took out all the power and tech. in Gotham, and Batman reverting to his rawest childhood hero, rode in on a horse . It's time Zorro took the image back...!

Last edited by Mondragon; 02-05-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:12 PM   #200
-VisionsVision-
RAMPAGE

Looking forward to this.