The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #26
Soapy
It's happening again...

Default Re: The next Xbox

Maybe they'll put it out on both. Nintendo did the exact same thing with Twilight Princess.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #27
jacobed
Banned User

No they wouldn't do that. There's no way they want the 360 competing with the new system.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #28
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Maybe they'll put it out on both. Nintendo did the exact same thing with Twilight Princess.
No way. Nintendo only put Twilight Princess on the Wii because the GameCube was essentially dead. The Xbox 360 still has plenty of life within it. People are still buying them, people are still buying 360 games, etc. You can't say that for the GameCube.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #29
Soapy
It's happening again...

I really don't understand your bizarre aversion to new consoles.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:38 AM   #30
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

Everything I hear straight from Microsoft execs (through interviews) leads me to believe 2015 will be the absolute release date (with it being announced in 2012, demo'd in 2013 with the developer consoles being shipped, on display and finished in 2014 and available worldwide by 2015 - so I'm gonna say sometime between 2013 and 2015 we'll see it released.

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Old 11-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #31
jacobed
Banned User

I'd say 13 at the earliest and 14 at the latest. I think they'll first show it or what it can do in 2012 and then in 2013 we'll get more in depth about it and maybe a release.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #32
Soapy
It's happening again...

Demoed in 2013 and released TWO YEARS later in 2015? HAHA. No. The 360 was revealed and on store shelves within a year.

Besides, a few high profile Xbox developers are supposedly already working on games for the next Xbox, and people within Microsoft have made it known publicly that they've been working on the hardware for at least 14 months. Some are even working on a marketing strategy. I think whatever Microsoft is cooking up is further along than some want to believe it is.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #33
jacobed
Banned User

im sure they're quite far in development of the thing I like the fact that allegedly Ubisoft and EA already have it and working with it but it wont be released in 2012 that I am sure of. 2013 definitely I can see that.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #34
Soapy
It's happening again...

Definitely not 2012. I would be really surprised if they did put it out then. 2013 I think is the sweet spot.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #35
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

I expect the reveal at E3 2012 for a late 2013 or 2014 release. 2015 is so long away! Imagine what PC games will be doing by then.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #36
Soapy
It's happening again...

More rumors from Digital Foundry.

Quote:
In terms of how we see the next-gen Xbox panning out based on what our own sources tell us, we understand that Kinect is set for a significant upgrade and has a very strong likelihood of ending up bundled with the machine. It is understood that Microsoft hosted a developer soiree at Disneyland just after E3 this year where the platform holder invited partners to pitch in with ideas on where they would want the technology to go, and the challenges they had with the current platform. This signifies that it was early days for the design just a few months ago, making the 2012 story seem even less likely.

It's also believed that Microsoft will continue its successful two SKU strategy, and indeed take it much further with its new platform: a pared down machine is to be released as cheaply as possible, and positioned more along the lines of a set-top box (the use of 360 as a Netflix viewing platform in the US is colossal) and perhaps as a Kinect-themed gaming portal, while a more fully-featured machine with optical drive, hard disk and backward compatibility aimed at the hardcore would be released at a higher price-point.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #37
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I really don't understand your bizarre aversion to new consoles.
Because the economics just don't make sense.

1. Third party publishers aren't going to want to make a separate expensive "next Xbox" version of a game while Sony is showing no signs of upgrading to the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo is releasing the Wii U, a console that is graphically on par with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Video game development ain't cheap you know, especially development for games on new consoles. In this economic environment do you think that Electronic Arts, Activision, UbiSoft, Take-Two, Capcom, Sega, THQ, and Konami are going to want to invest in a console that is not beyond the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii U in power?

2. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 still put out graphically beautiful games. Look at Uncharted 3 or Halo 4. Are graphics going to be THAT much better for consumers to think that it's worth the upgrade.

3. This is a tough economic environment. Consumers are very wary of buying expensive electronics with the iPad and smartphones being the only major successes.

4. The Xbox brand is still overall unprofitable for Microsoft and the Xbox 360 took a couple of years to actually become profitable. Microsoft investors are going to be pissed if Microsoft doesn't maximize the profitability of the Xbox 360 to make up for the first couple of years and the financial disaster that was the original Xbox.

5. People are still buying Xbox 360s. Why should Microsoft release a new console when people are still buying millions of consoles a month?

Old 11-24-2011, 12:39 AM   #38
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
1. Third party publishers aren't going to want to make a separate expensive "next Xbox" version of a game while Sony is showing no signs of upgrading to the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo is releasing the Wii U, a console that is graphically on par with the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Video game development ain't cheap you know, especially development for games on new consoles. In this economic environment do you think that Electronic Arts, Activision, UbiSoft, Take-Two, Capcom, Sega, THQ, and Konami are going to want to invest in a console that is not beyond the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii U in power?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Guillemot, CEO of Ubisoft
New consoles help us be more creative because when customers buy a console, they are very interested in what’s new and they will accept a game that is not perfect as long as it's different and better than what has been done before. We very often adopt new consoles quickly because we know that most of the buyers are fans of video games. They are ready to take risks so that’s why we are very early on consoles, often just to make sure we can try new things.
Quote:
2. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 still put out graphically beautiful games. Look at Uncharted 3 or Halo 4. Are graphics going to be THAT much better for consumers to think that it's worth the upgrade.
As I and Deathlok pointed out earlier, new consoles are about more than just GUD GRAFIX.

But to address your question, you tell me.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

That's running in real time on standard off the shelf PC hardware in an upgraded version of Unreal Engine 3.

Quote:
3. This is a tough economic environment. Consumers are very wary of buying expensive electronics with the iPad and smartphones being the only major successes.
Eh... I see that more as evidence of people wanting to buy cool ****, than that they're being wary about buying expensive stuff.

If anything, buying Apple products is the complete polar opposite of being careful with your money. If people were really that worried, then they would be buying the less expensive tablets and smartphones instead of the trendy overpriced Apple stuff.

Quote:
4. The Xbox brand is still overall unprofitable for Microsoft and the Xbox 360 took a couple of years to actually become profitable. Microsoft investors are going to be pissed if Microsoft doesn't maximize the profitability of the Xbox 360 to make up for the first couple of years and the financial disaster that was the original Xbox.
True, it's going to be several more years for the Xbox "brand" to become profitable, but the Xbox and Kinect divisions of Microsoft are actually the fastest growing, doing much better than even the Windows division last year.

Quote:
5. People are still buying Xbox 360s.
Yeah, and? Unless Microsoft puts in a bullet in the 360 the same way they did the OG Xbox, people are still going to be buying 360's for a long, long time. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Microsoft positioned the 360 as the "new" Playstation 2 in terms of being the console of choice for low income families and less well-off territories.

Doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't release a new console though. I mean, you wouldn't not make a new version of a car just because the old ones keep selling.

Not to get dramatic and place undue importance on video game consoles of all things, but the human race would be in a pretty bad way if everyone always settled for "Oh, that old thing still works. No need for a new, better one."

Quote:
Why should Microsoft release a new console when people are still buying millions of consoles a month?
What?
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

A few things to take away from that chart:
  • The Xbox 360 has never sold "millions" of units in one month. The average seems to be 2-300,000. They got pretty close last December though.
  • Poor PS3. :[
  • LOL. Look at Wii's first Xmas sales! My how the tables turned.

The bottom line is this conversation, your anti-new console view and my pro-new console view, doesn't matter. Whether you or anyone else likes it or not, a new generation of consoles is coming, and unless production of the WiiU goes completely sideways, it will be here by this time next year. And I guess you could take the "Nintendo doesn't matter" position, but with new rumors and leaks about the next Xbox spilling onto the internet pretty much every week, I have to think to myself, "Where there's smoke, there's fire." and I think it's pretty obvious Microsoft's got something cooking.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:57 AM   #39
Mike_D202
Green Lantern's roommate

I'd like to see some SERIOUS plans for the kinect on the new console. Seems when it first came out, they used it a little gimmicky. They could do so much with it...I dunno what, but they could! I was at my girlfriend's place last week in the living room watching netflix, and her kinect started looking around the room until it seen me, then just stared. When I got up to get a beverage or jump on the computer, the damn thing followed me.

I imagine there was more of "MoS was a disappointment," with maybe a splash of "DC is dragging their feet." Maybe even "DC is just making a cash grab."
Old 11-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #40
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

There you go lol:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/n...ys-Report.html

Quote:
Kinect 2 Incoming With Vastly Improved Tech, Says Report

A report is suggesting that Microsoft are planning to launch a next-gen Kinect device in conjunction with the next Xbox. The aim is to improve Kinect’s motion-sensing tech to such a degree that it can lip-read, among other things.
Eurogamer are carrying the story, suggesting via “sources” that the Kinect 2 will come bundled with future Xbox consoles and be capable of lip-reading, detecting which direction you are facing and what mood you are in. The report says this is made possible through measuring facial characteristics and voice pitches.
Some of these features were set for Kinect when it was first announced, though it was eventually scaled back. This is said to be because USB tech, which connects the Kinect and the 360, isn’t capable of transmitting the data fast enough.
However, Kinect 2 will not be hamstrung by USB’s weaknesses. "It can be cabled straight through on any number of technologies that just take phenomenally high res data straight to the main processor and straight to the main RAM and ask, what do you want to do with it?" Eurogamer’s source said.
Microsoft have responded in the usual fashion, stating that they “do not comment on rumour or speculation.”

Old 12-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #41
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Hopefully the next Xbox is nothing like the Kinect.

Sorry, just bitter. I've been trying to sell my Kinect for $130...which is a great deal considering it comes with three games and the original box. But no one wants it...bleh.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #42
DBryan
Banned User

It's too soon.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #43
Benstamania
Shot first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Hopefully the next Xbox is nothing like the Kinect.

Sorry, just bitter. I've been trying to sell my Kinect for $130...which is a great deal considering it comes with three games and the original box. But no one wants it...bleh.
I bought a Kinect off of a friend for 40 bucks. Great purchase, IMHO.

Then again.. I did only pay 40 bucks for it.

Revelation 22:20
Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #44
DBryan
Banned User

Honestly the current gen consoles are so good, and have plenty of life in them yet. And consoles these days are so expensive.

I don't want a new console unless it pushes things to a whole new level. I don't think its there yet. Too soon.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #45
Lord
All Mighty

My PS3 is barelly one year old, i would be sad to see it replaced so soon

I honestly think this generation still has a lot to give, Nintendo's consoles however, needed some upgrades in graphics and other things, i'm interested in buying an used X-Box 360 for such games as Halo, DOA and Alan Wake

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #46
Benstamania
Shot first.

I fully agree about it being "too soon" for new consoles. The only one I can really understand wanting to update would be the Wii... and they're doing that.

In the end I don't see the next Xbox or PS4 hitting anytime before 2014... We'll probably get small info on the next wave of consoles in 2012... may see what they can do in 2013 and then they'll launch in 2014.

By that time I may be ready... just announce them in enough time so I can preorder and pay 'em off. I will say I don't see them being over 400 bucks... I just don't... Not that 400 bones is cheap mind you...

I will probably be a one console owner next gen... and that will probably be whatever Microsoft gives me. I've played my PS3 SO little that I can't justify buying the next Sony machine... more so when the games I bought Sony machines for (Metal Gear mainly) going multiplatform.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #47
Lord
All Mighty

It makes sence that they already began developing or in least thinking about the next console but i don't think it's going to be released so soon, how much time did the development of X-Box 360 and Play Station 3 take?
The next gen should be something really big, not just an update on graphics, it should blow everybody's minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #48
Soapy
It's happening again...

You guys are insane if you think there's going to be three years between the announcement and release of a console.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #49
Benstamania
Shot first.

Oh I agree.. I keep going back to what Naughty Dog said.... They're not sure what can be done other than graphics and even then the graphical leap probably wouldn't be jaw dropping.

I'll also probably get a Nintendo console. I always get whatever they do... it's the kid inside of me that's blindly loyal to Nintendo even though I barely speak of it.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #50
Benstamania
Shot first.

Quote:
You guys are insane if you think there's going to be three years between the announcement and release of a console.
Then we won't get word of any new console at E3 '12. I'd be willing to bet that new consoles won't be here until the very end of 2013... or early 2014.

Closed Thread