Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #76
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User

Default Re: The next Xbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I have a separate blu-ray player now but the PS3 including one & the 360 not would have made me buy a PS3 over a 360, if I didn't already have both. The HD format war was completely unnecessary and a big waste of investment.

Also from articles last month it looks like Microsoft are intending to invest more in new AAA exclusives for next gen. I hate exclusives in general but I guess they need to now that Sony are building so many good 1st party franchises. I really hope Sony, Microsoft & Nintendo focus less on software exclusives (that in my opinion reduce overall revenue for the industry & consumer satisfaction) & more on hardware innovation.
I don't think Microsoft really need to bother with exclusives other than launch hype. If you look at most games, barring certain games like Final Fantasy, most people are opting to buy them on the Xbox360. The majority of PS3 exclusive games are lucky if they sell 1-3 million units.

If you look at the wii, wii fit or wii sports, each of these has sold something like, 70 million units. It would seem totally logical to ignore these Uncharted/Resistence/Killzone games and go down a casual route trying to rope in people who don't even play, or play very games. This is the way Microsoft will go as well I think. If you look at the ratio of E3 content on show this year, the majority of content was that, not these hardcore shoot people in the face to save world games, people dancing on stage, playing casual accessible games.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 AM   #77
Soapy
It's happening again...

They've already went down that route.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:05 AM   #78
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Microsoft needs to invest in AAA titles for their next console if they release early. Third party publishers are not going to want to invest heavily into it when the PS3 and Wii U still have plenty of life within them and Microsoft is going to have to pick up the slack.

Also, I would say that the Wii U tablet is pretty damn innovative.
Agreed, Iím not expecting a lot of top quality original content (maybe some innovative Kinect stuff) from third parties due to budgets & limited early sales with just one next gen console out. I guess the main third party stuff will just be better looking, smoother versions of the Assassin's Creeds, Arkhams, CoDs, Battlefields, beatíem ups, sports games etc. Along with the current Microsoft exclusives, which although very few in number are big enough to launch consoles imo, itís enough for the usual day one adopters & invested Xbox gamers I think. Most console releases in the past seem to have had only one or 2 massive titles backed up by a variety of crap. There are many more quality multiplat franchises nowadays that should be able to support a solo console launch (by any of the companies). That said, itís an unnecessary risk for Microsoft to take when they are certainly capable of providing the resources to get true AAA titles/franchises going if they are determined.

The wii tablet looks good, sure. I just feel Nintendo are in a slightly tricky spot next gen as a big chunk of the casual crowd already own a wii and probably arenít looking to buy one that is better at core games. Also the Kinect 2 I expect to steal away more of the market share in this area. On the core gaming front it seems too little too late as the hype can only get so big for a console that is only marginally (I believe) ahead of what is currently out there. Their hardcore fanbase, as loyal as it is, must surely be having second thoughts about having a Nintendo next gen as their sole primary for AAA games especially as the power of the machine is once again unambitious. Nearly every non-casual gamer I know that bought a wii also needed at least one of the other consoles to fill their gaming needs this gen. Everyone loves the main Nintendo games but I donít think the attach rate will be as high as usual for those who arenít fervent followers of Nintendo.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:33 AM   #79
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Are You Crouching Spock? View Post
I don't think Microsoft really need to bother with exclusives other than launch hype. If you look at most games, barring certain games like Final Fantasy, most people are opting to buy them on the Xbox360. The majority of PS3 exclusive games are lucky if they sell 1-3 million units.

If you look at the wii, wii fit or wii sports, each of these has sold something like, 70 million units. It would seem totally logical to ignore these Uncharted/Resistence/Killzone games and go down a casual route trying to rope in people who don't even play, or play very games. This is the way Microsoft will go as well I think. If you look at the ratio of E3 content on show this year, the majority of content was that, not these hardcore shoot people in the face to save world games, people dancing on stage, playing casual accessible games.
From the description I remember they are looking at shooters (as if they need more of those!) and action adventure which makes me hopeful. God of War & Uncharted are the two titles that make me think.. Microsoft, give me something like that on 360! Resistance/Killzone as good as they are fall in a genre which Microsoft has covered to death.

I think the game sales you mention are due to already having a strong foothold and early advantage in the hardcore market. By the time Sony started showing what they could do most one-console gamers had already got a 360 and all their friends had 360s. I know some of them would have changed over if their friends didn’t all have 360s. Being easier to develop for also meant that they were the lead platform for much of the generation meaning some of the PS3’s power advantage was suppressed. All these advantages & translated sales might not have materialised if they had started badly & Sony hadn’t had a disaster. I’d love to see how much Uncharted would sell on 360.

The casual side they will rightfully be looking to capitalise further on. The lower end 720 will be aimed squarely at that market with what I expect to be a massive upgrade in Kinect functionality that will have all the kids talking & nagging their parents, & be very marketable on TV and on shop floors. That said I don't like E3 getting dominated by casual gaming as I doubt any of the casuals have heard of E3 and prefer to find out this kind of thing from word of mouth/playing at someone’s house who’s just got it or from cheesy adverts than gaming conferences.

Microsoft would benefit from showing at least a token symbol to their own hardcore that there is life after Halo & Gears and that they haven’t become a lazy studio. I think that’s needed to fully secure their future loyalty when Sony are developing so many good franchises. So if the articles are true I think it’s great to see that they are planning & committing to get back to core gaming at the same time as making an even bigger casual Kinect-based push next gen.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #80
uniqueweasel
Don't Drink and Bake

The Main things I would like from the new xbox is to be able to transfer my existing profile over painfree, a blu-ray player, and no god damn red ring from the get go, I dont care if the console has to be bigger as a result, the red ring really was an annoying problem to the console.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #81
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Are You Crouching Spock? View Post
Actually there are plenty of games that sell more on the PlayStation 3 than the Xbox 360: the Batman: Arkham games, the Mortal Kombat series, Dead Space, Assassin's Creed II, L.A. Noire, Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5, and so on.

However, this will be a bit different though next generation depending on how early Microsoft launches. Electronic Arts, Activision, UbiSoft, and Take Two aren't going to want to give full support to a console that is going to be more expensive to develop for with a much smaller user base while there are no signs for a replacement for the PlayStation 3 and Wii U and while the Xbox 360 still has plenty of use. Microsoft is going to have to pick up the slack until Sony releases the PlayStation 4.

Quote:
Yeah, I do think that Microsoft will go down that route.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #82
Mike_D202
Green Lantern's roommate

I really wanna see them push the kennect and it's potential.

I imagine there was more of "MoS was a disappointment," with maybe a splash of "DC is dragging their feet." Maybe even "DC is just making a cash grab."
Old 01-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #83
Silvermoth
Avenger

Ign had some good pointers about what they should include with the next xbox.

My dotpoints that would mean I would be interested in a new xbox if they were included are...
  • Getting rid of the points system. Pointless (no pun intended). Just let me use my card.
  • Blu Ray Player
  • No bugs. No Red Ring of Death. Take the time to make it right rather than rushing it out and then realising every 1 in 3 systems blows up or something

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #84
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

I don't get what's so bad about the MS points system,I think it's a pretty good concept and not everyone has credit cards to use!!!

I'd agree with having BOTH the Points and using credit cards though,Always nice to have options for all types of people's preferences than just one type,I have a card But my wife doesn't trust using them on the consoles and so I use the point cards..But for someone like you I assume it'd be perfect using credit cards and so it'd be a win-win for us both!!!!

Old 01-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #85
Soapy
It's happening again...

Xbox successor AND PS4 set for E3 2012?

Quote:
Both the Xbox 360 successor AND a follow up to the PS3 will be shown at E3 2012.

The LA show tease will come as Wii U launch details are locked in – and should ensure no ground is lost between competing consoles.

It will mark the very first time in the show’s 17-year history that three fresh, rival console formats will be so directly comparable.*

Microsoft has long been rumoured to detail its next-gen plans at E3 2012, and recently signalled to partners this will happen, MCV has been told.

The 360 is one of the longest-serving games consoles in history. But the real surprise is an *early move from Sony. Execs at the PlayStation firm have made it clear to third-parties that they will not be left behind this time.*

Execs aren’t expecting price or launch details for the new Xbox or PlayStation. But their unveiling could be a perfect spoiler to the pre-Christmas launch date and price that will be revealed for Wii U in June.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #86
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Nice! (if true)

Sony being ready so quickly is surprising. In that case Microsoft better get to work on developing their own AAA titles as I wan't expecting day one competition in what I said above. That headstart would have been one of their key advantages.

Gonna be brutal! Great for the industry though.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #87
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

Seems too early But I understand why they feel like they should reveal this year,I just hope MS started development years ago and not when hearing about a new Nintendo..MS needs to do everything as possible to stop the RLOD,Although I have a Elite and have never had a RLOD and I've read that's It's improved on elite&especially new ones than compared to the whites!!!

PS3 will most likely continue on even with PS4 like with the PS2,They just finally stopped having new games out for it last year,So IF PS4 is out in 2013 or 14 then PS3 will continue until 15 or 16!!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #88
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

I don't think RROD is an issue anymore with the new consoles. I've kept my 360 on for 5 weeks (yes 5 weeks) without turning it off at all. (also not on the dashboard, AI playing through private VS gametypes on Gears of War 3 to help with an achievement). It's on a 5 year guarantee that I was kind of pushed into buying and I've been bought the Gears 360 since so I'm willing to push this one as far as it can go. If this was my original 2006 'fat' Xbox there would have been a big explosion after 2 days.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #89
Soapy
It's happening again...

The rumors just don't stop!

Next Xbox tablet based

Quote:
If the rumors are to be believed, the guts of the new Xbox, presumably some kind of insane multicore CPU and crazy powerful graphics chipset, will be teased nice and early as part of Microsoft's final showing at the Consumer Electronics Show this year. Expect it to be properly revealed, with a name and everything, at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in early June. If that timing is accurate, it seems likely that we'll see it in stores by the 2013 holiday season.

But what of the box itself? Given Microsoft's recent efforts at unification across its Windows, Mobile, and Xbox product lines, it seems clear that the 720 or whatever they end up calling it (surely not that) will be the ultimate personification of that strategy. There are strong signs suggesting that, like with Nintendo's Wii U, a tablet component figures heavily into the new design. That saucy Windows 8 Metro interface (now also seen on the Xbox Dashboard) just begs to be touched. Speculation as to the form it will take has been rife for the past few months, with some even suggesting that the core of the new platform will be akin to a tablet PC that wirelessly connects to a base station, which in turn plugs into your TV. If this is the case, a premium Xbox Next setup could feasibly include a base station, a tablet, a conventional controller of some kind, and the recently discussed high-def evolution of the Kinect. Thank goodness for wireless connections if that's the case; otherwise, we're in for one hell of a mess of cables.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #90
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator

This is getting ridiculous. Lol!

IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII
Old 01-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #91
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

It's just a rumor But I can totally see MS doing a tablet,An I-Pad with console video games&XBL compatible basically!!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #92
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

A tablet version as well as the main version.. cool & will get both. Tablet only not so cool.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #93
Coca Cola Duracell Franklin.
Side-Kick

A tablet interface would destroy the Call of Duty fanbase. No one wants to play a shooter on a touch-screen.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #94
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Also people who want to play on massive screens. I bought my projector 50% for gaming & probably wouldn't have if the future of gaming was going to be solely tablet based. (I don't think it will be)

Old 01-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #95
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Cloud based gaming should be introduced with the the new xbox as internet bandwidth increases.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #96
Benstamania
Finished The Fight

I don't believe that tablet crap at all. If anything I could see Microsoft MAYBE getting into the hand held market next gen with a tablet based mobile system but I don't not see their home console being a friggin' tablet. I mean, the WiiU isn't JUST a tablet, it has the "core" console unit as well.

I was against "next gen" this soon but I guess I'd take it.. I believe that the "next gen" consoles won't be out of this world expensive... They all seen what happened to Sony so I don't expect anything over 400. All I ask is this... If they plan on announcing it then announce it and let me pre-order it as soon as we can that way by the time it launches I can have it all paid off.

Oh, and keep the friggin' SKU's to a minimum this time... For BOTH Sony & Microsoft.

Revelation 22:20
Old 01-08-2012, 01:49 PM   #97
Soapy
It's happening again...

I don't believe the tablet rumor, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. Microsoft copied motion controls, maybe this time they want to nullify the Wii U's defining feature straight out of the gate. Microsoft isn't above backing and supporting tech just to muddy the water and hurt the competition.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #98
Coca Cola Duracell Franklin.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
I don't believe the tablet rumor, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. Microsoft copied motion controls, maybe this time they want to nullify the Wii U's defining feature straight out of the gate. Microsoft isn't above backing and supporting tech just to muddy the water and hurt the competition.
They did allow HD-DVD to die and for Blu-Ray to take over, giving the PS3 a huge advantage over the Xbox 360.

I hope it's not tablet based. There are enough tablets in the world.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #99
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelPopcorn View Post
They did allow HD-DVD to die and for Blu-Ray to take over, giving the PS3 a huge advantage over the Xbox 360.
The HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray war was long fought and heated, I don't think you can lay any blame on Microsoft for its failure. It was never an integrated part of their system and it wasn't their technology. They didn't need it.

Also, is Blu-Ray really a huge advantage? Yeah a lot of people bought a PS3 specifically because it was the best player for awhile, but that never helped Sony sell more than MS, and while Blu-ray discs hold more data, not many PS3 games took advantage of it and most multi-platform releases were better on the 360 anyway.

Aside from things like L.A. Noire being 1 disc on PS3 vs. 3 discs on 360, Blu-ray didn't really play a big role in the gen wars.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #100
jacobed
Banned User

No blu-ray definitely didn't play a big role in the generation wars obviously since Microsoft has still had more sales than the ps3 and Microsoft had absolutely nothing to do with hd-dvd failing. More and more studios started siding with blu ray because it was the better of the two.

Closed Thread