The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #101
KALEL114
Impending Return
SHH! Global Moderator
 
KALEL114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Here
Posts: 14,654
Default Re: The next Xbox

Blu-Ray sort of had an impact if you think about it. Just in a more indirect way: Sony pushed the PS3's release date back to add a BR drive, which caused the huge retail price when it was released and held back sales. MS saw an opportunity to get a jump on Sony and rushed out the 360, which was the root cause of the RROD issue.

As far as the new Xbox, I don't believe the Tablet stuff. However, they are really going to push Windows 8, so I can see W8 tablets being compatible in some way with the new system. I think BR is almost a given as well. They want to be the center of the living room and I think having BR helps them deliver that.

__________________
My apologies Lady Jackson, I am quite sincere. It was not in my wishes to provoke thy daughter's sadness, I apologised numerous times. - @ShakespeareSong

100
IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII IIII
IIII
KALEL114 is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #102
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol
 
Midnyte_Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 5,223
Default Re: The next Xbox

Screw Bluray discs. I own a BR and have to say that the technology sucks. Faulty BR playing, constant updates. No thanks. I hope MS opts out of BD completely. Now that people can install games onto their system, maybe this will alleviate the bigger games that require 3 Discs.

They should stick with HD download, streaming, and rentals for movies.

If they go with BD it means only one thing: BD players have gotten cheap enough to include into the system. I think a main reason why they have not included them is pricing.

Midnyte_Sun is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #103
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 54,049
Default Re: The next Xbox

The Windows streamlined system would appeal to me. I was going to be apple with a mac, iphone & itunes but I'm cool with converting to pc, windows phone (already switched) & Zune to go with 360, 720 & tablet 720 if it happens like that.

__________________
Xbox GT: Miramax7000 123,387 G
X-MEN - AVENGERS - JUSTICE LEAGUE
Iceman is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #104
Benstamania
Finished The Fight
 
Benstamania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 20,480
Default Re: The next Xbox

I enjoy BD but I'm telling you it's a big lie. I remember Sony hyping up BD by saying "imagine all of your TV seasons on one or two disks! Imagine the shelf space you'll save.."

Meanwhile my Band of Brothers and Pacific BD box sets are still NINE DISKS LONG!

__________________
PSN: Benstamania
Xbox Live: OverBenthousand

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #105
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,872
Default Re: The next Xbox

Did they really say that? If they did I'm surprised anyone believed them. Higher definition video and audio and all that interactive menu stuff is obviously going to take up a lot more space. Technology isn't magic. :P

Soapy is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #106
Benstamania
Finished The Fight
 
Benstamania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 20,480
Default Re: The next Xbox

Yeah, they said it.

I didn't expect an entire mini series to be on one disk however, 4 disks should surely be possible.

__________________
PSN: Benstamania
Xbox Live: OverBenthousand

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline  
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #107
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,962
Default Re: The next Xbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
No blu-ray definitely didn't play a big role in the generation wars obviously since Microsoft has still had more sales than the ps3 and Microsoft had absolutely nothing to do with hd-dvd failing.
Actually you can argue that Microsoft's lukewarm support of HD DVD helped kill the format. Microsoft just simply wanted to prolong the HD Format War in order to speed up the adoption of digital downloads, which would benefit Microsoft in the longer run.

Quote:
More and more studios started siding with blu ray because it was the better of the two.
The studios didn't side with blu-ray because it was the better format. Sony Pictures Entertainment was forced to adopt it because of Sony's involvement in the development of blu-ray. MGM was forced to adopt it because Sony owned a major stake in the studio. 20th Century Fox and Walt Disney Studios supported blu-ray due to the security features it offered (which failed by the way). Universal and Paramount were forced to adopt blu-ray because they had no choice, HD DVD became a dying format once Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema went blu-ray exclusive.

Also, right before Warner Bros. became blu-ray exclusive, they were on the verge of going HD DVD exclusive and effectively kill the blu-ray format. Even though Warner Bros. sold their films on both formats, they had a preference for HD DVD because they got a small chunk of the royalties involved in HD DVD technology. Parent company Time Warner was a founding member of the DVD Forum and had a small role in the development of DVD, which HD DVD was based on.

Toshiba and other members of the DVD Forum were offering Warner Bros. incentives to go exclusive and Warner Bros. accepted on the condition that 20th Century Fox would join them. 20th Century Fox also accepted the offer of money and they felt burned that blu-ray's security features were cracked mere days after being released. Toshiba and the DVD Forum had a huge event planned at CES to announce Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox going HD DVD exclusive.

However, the Blu-ray Disc Association aggressively brought 20th Century Fox back into the fold at the last minute. Without 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros. had no desire to go HD DVD exclusive. In the end, HD DVD just didn't have the support needed to take off with just Paramount and Universal being the only major studios that were exclusive to the format and due to aggressive marketing by the Blu-ray Disc Association sales of blu-ray discs were starting to surpass HD DVD discs. Sales of blu-ray players were starting to catch up to HD DVD players. With so much in the consumer market against HD DVD, Warner Bros. decided to take the Blu-ray Disc Association's offer to go blu-ray exclusive. Sister company New Line Cinema went blu-ray exclusive a few days later.

Toshiba and the DVD Forum were completely shocked that such a thing occurred at the last minute right behind their backs. As a result, they cancelled their CES event completely because Warner Bros. essentially single handedly killed their format.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 12:21 AM   #108
Benstamania
Finished The Fight
 
Benstamania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 20,480
Default Re: The next Xbox

I have a few friends that still insist that HD DVD was the better format. I honestly don't know but they tend to know their stuff tech wise.

__________________
PSN: Benstamania
Xbox Live: OverBenthousand

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #109
Fenrir
Devourer Of Gods
 
Fenrir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 4,765
Default Re: The next Xbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
I have a few friends that still insist that HD DVD was the better format. I honestly don't know but they tend to know their stuff tech wise.
If nothing else, to me HD DVD was superior because it was region-free. I wonder when entertainment companies will wise up that we are living in a world with no boundaries and drop already this relic of the 90s that is region-encoding. It's pointless and it's annoying to consumers.

__________________
Fenrir is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #110
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION
 
ProjectPat2280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: On The Job
Posts: 28,029
Default Re: The next Xbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benstamania View Post
I have a few friends that still insist that HD DVD was the better format. I honestly don't know but they tend to know their stuff tech wise.

I had both, at the same time, and couldn't really tell a difference. Who knows? I do know that that format war wasn't decided by users but by the movie studios. It was a really odd "battle".


I agree with what Mydnyte Sun had to say on Blu Ray tho. It really seems to be a s**t technology. Iv owned 4 or 5 diff Blu Ray players and outside of my PS3 they all suck something fierce. The ps3 is easily the best Blu Ray iv used though.

Im not sure if MS will go Blu Ray, actually id be surprised if they did. I think everyone moving forward will aim more towards digital media. I at least, much rather have my seasons of the Big Bang Theory on a digital space rather than actually taking up space on a shelf.

__________________
The above opinions are documented to be proven right, 99.7% of the time.
ProjectPat2280 is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #111
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 54,049
Default Re: The next Xbox

HD DVD was great for extra features. I'm not too unhappy with blu-ray though, just annoyed at everyone involved for creating an unnecessary and wasteful format war. I gave away about 20 HD DVDs & the 360 add on to a friend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Actually....
...
...
...format.
Good read

__________________
Xbox GT: Miramax7000 123,387 G
X-MEN - AVENGERS - JUSTICE LEAGUE
Iceman is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #112
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,872
Default Re: The next Xbox

An article on GamesRadar sort of backs up the "Next Xbox won't be a game console" theory.

Soapy is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #113
Benstamania
Finished The Fight
 
Benstamania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 20,480
Default Re: The next Xbox

Seriously, if it's not so much of a "games machine" and more of a "bull*****" machine I'll skip it. I can't help but think someone has their wires crossed though. I can see their being an Xbox console and also an Xbox Tab.

__________________
PSN: Benstamania
Xbox Live: OverBenthousand

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #114
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'
 
Spider-Vader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 12,305
Default Re: The next Xbox

MS better not go all Nintendo on us. I have a good feeling that unless MS has amazing innovating gimmick (like the Wii did), that a casual console from them will fail. The Xbox was built upon Halo, Gears, COD & so on, MS better not forget that.

__________________
"Okay...This looks bad."
Spider-Vader is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #115
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,872
Default Re: The next Xbox

The "Games" tab is the sixth one on the dashboard. That tells you everything you need to know about the direction of the Xbox brand.

Soapy is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #116
Benstamania
Finished The Fight
 
Benstamania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 20,480
Default Re: The next Xbox

Next gen is going to be interesting to say the least... Sony, you can bet, will have a totally revamped online system that will probably include party chat... Hopefully if Microsoft goes this route they still give me a reason to want to buy it.

Because.. I'm still not super hip to "tablets."

__________________
PSN: Benstamania
Xbox Live: OverBenthousand

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #117
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,872
Default Re: The next Xbox

I'll say again that I don't think the next Xbox is going to be a tablet, but it's a definite possibility that that it will include a tablet component. Microsoft's Metro UI design language is practically made for tablets, but hasn't appeared on one yet.

Soapy is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #118
Benstamania
Finished The Fight
 
Benstamania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 20,480
Default Re: The next Xbox

Agreed.

__________________
PSN: Benstamania
Xbox Live: OverBenthousand

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #119
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,907
Default Re: The next Xbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
MS better not go all Nintendo on us. I have a good feeling that unless MS has amazing innovating gimmick (like the Wii did), that a casual console from them will fail. The Xbox was built upon Halo, Gears, COD & so on, MS better not forget that.
The reason Halo and Call Of Duty is popular is because they are casual and accessible. Thats almost entirely what the success of the Xbox is based upon.

Anyone can use a wii waggle. But at the same time, Call Of Dutys single player involves practically walking in a line watching scripted sequences go off occasionally playing wack-a-mole. Any bozo can it. It's about as simplistic and as accessible a FPS as you can get and it's basically became standardized.

Likewise with the multiplayer, when see people talk about it, it's not skill they are talking about, it's unlocks, xp. You can't loose and are always rewarded with grind similar to an MMO. Battlefield does this now as well. Not about team work or skill, just play the game, unlocke crap. Reward. Rewards. Rewards. Everyone wins. Again, standardized.

Accessible = sales


Last edited by Why Are You Crouching Spock?; 01-09-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #120
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.
 
Mrs. Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 24,553
Default Re: The next Xbox

I hope Microsoft don't forget, because it's their gaming and their streaming collection that's becoming their strength.

__________________
The things I do to win a Deathmatch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #121
Benstamania
Finished The Fight
 
Benstamania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 20,480
Default Re: The next Xbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Are You Crouching Spock? View Post
The reason Halo and Call Of Duty is popular is because they are casual and accessible. Thats almost entirely what the success of the Xbox is based upon.

Anyone can use a wii waggle. But at the same time, Call Of Dutys single player involves practically walking in a line watching scripted sequences go off occasionally playing wack-a-mole. Any bozo can it. It's about as simplistic and as accessible a FPS as you can get and it's basically became standardized.

Likewise with the multiplayer, when see people talk about it, it's not skill they are talking about, it's unlockes, xp. You can't loose and are always rewarded with grind similar to an MMO. Battlefield does this now as well. Not about team work or skill, just play the game, unlocke crap. Reward. Rewards. Rewards. Everyone wins. Again, standardized.

Accessible = sales
My friends and I don't just "play to unlock crap."

__________________
PSN: Benstamania
Xbox Live: OverBenthousand

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #122
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.
 
Mrs. Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 24,553
Default Re: The next Xbox

Is Spock really trying to call COD and Halo casual games?

If that's true, then there's no hardcore games, unless to Spock hardcore = unpopular games.

__________________
The things I do to win a Deathmatch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #123
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,872
Default Re: The next Xbox

Whether Halo is casual or not is up for debate as far as I'm concerned, but I think it's pretty much undeniable that Call of Duty is casual. The campaigns are extremely short, linear, and not very challenging. The multiplayer is designed in such a way so that it punishes skilled play and rewards sloppy play. Honestly, when you get down to it, Call of Duty is about as casual as a shooter can get.

Soapy is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #124
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,907
Default Re: The next Xbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
If that's true, then there's no hardcore
Well yea, their was before and their was after. Most of them are on the pc and when they are influenced by the xbox specifically, they tend to get design changes. In the case of first person shooters it's usually health regen, frequent checkpoints, two weapon carry limit, simplified level design. Duke Nukem Forever is probably the best example of this. A game proposing to be decidedly oldschool but actually adhering to the conventions the xbox set.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
games, unless to Spock hardcore = unpopular games.
Generally speaking, hardcore games do not have the budget or marketing or larger accessibility, so they are quite obviously not going to be as popular. In fact, much of the gaming media, don't even bother reviewing them or even acknowledge their existence because they themselfs want the website to be mainstream and accessible using whatever means to get traffic. So yea, I probably do play alot of purposefully niche games. The reason for that though is specifically because they are not having to bother with a mainstream auidence. This leads to more complex games with more depth. This is kinda offtopic though, you are consistently qeastioning my motives, this is not Cluedo. The main point was, the main reason for the xbox's success was making first person shooters casual and accessible to a larger audience. I'm sure Microsoft themselfs would quite happily acknowledge that. The wii just took in a bigger auidence because it wouldn't specifically one main genre that certain mainstream audience aren't interested in, not because they can't play it but because it just isn't very interesting. The wii-fit for example is far more appealing to a female than shooting up terrorists.

Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline  
Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #125
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.
 
Mrs. Sawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 24,553
Default Re: The next Xbox

When I think I hardcore games, I think games that take time to master. Despite what I think about COD and Halo (used to love both but I'm over both of them), it's not easy to be really good at those games. You're right about Xbox making them look casual and marketing them as casual, but I disagree about those games actually being casual games.

__________________
The things I do to win a Deathmatch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Mrs. Sawyer is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.