Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #26
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma_Powered_God View Post
So Cavill is what, about 6 feet, maybe 6'1? It's fixed easily enough with lifts in his shoes. I'm sure he will look plenty tall in the movie. He did a great job bulking up his shoulders, neck, and traps, so I think he will come off as tall and broad shouldered on film.
Right, I'm only even concerned they do this, lifts or perspective, for scenes shared by other major role actors who are just as tall as Cavill.

Otherwise his height should be tall enough to look tall in general.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #27
Marvin
Side-Kick

Like I said, the difference between tall and really tall is irrelevant imo. It's an aesthetic that some artists stick to. It's not a mandate that is essential to the character. Cavill being 6'1 meets this. Any shorter and there might be problems.

Thor is very tall and should always tower over people. And why shouldn't he he's a "god" walking on earth. Superman is supposedly supposed to pass as a very forgettable man with piercing eyes that he covers up with lenses...

Either way after what Snyder did with Xerces I'm sure if it's an issue he'll know how to deal with it.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #28
Astrodust
Side-Kick

I just want to point out that Cavill has looked plenty tall in videos and photos of him. It's not like we haven't seen him on film yet.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #29
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
As far as I know, it's actually always been 6'3".
I think in recent years, he was sometimes described as 6'4" - perhaps because of STM's influence or "in honor" of Chris Reeve (who was that height). But earlier Superman "encyclopedias" listed him at 6'2".

Old 10-20-2011, 03:29 PM   #30
Krumm
Beer Snob

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
I think in recent years, he was sometimes described as 6'4" - perhaps because of STM's influence or "in honor" of Chris Reeve (who was that height). But earlier Superman "encyclopedias" listed him at 6'2".
That's funny. My knowledge is based off Scott Beatty's Superman: The Ultimate Guide to the Man of Steel. That has him listed as 6'3". Maybe he just decided to split the difference - ha.

Last edited by Krumm; 10-20-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #31
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Like I said, the difference between tall and really tall is irrelevant imo. It's an aesthetic that some artists stick to. It's not a mandate that is essential to the character. Cavill being 6'1 meets this. Any shorter and there might be problems.

Thor is very tall and should always tower over people. And why shouldn't he he's a "god" walking on earth. Superman is supposedly supposed to pass as a very forgettable man with piercing eyes that he covers up with lenses...

Either way after what Snyder did with Xerces I'm sure if it's an issue he'll know how to deal with it.
Absolutely, Its an Aesthetic just like a muscular body, square Jaw etc...

I like him to look taller than most other men. Sort of like he would be obviously taller as Superman, but as Clark just a bit of adjusting his posture, and wearing flat sole shoes with no heel, and he stands out less.

Exact numbers are not too important either. Its not like comic artists draw him with a ruler out and make sure to scale him exactly either. They just eyeball it, and try to make him look a little bit taller than most other men on the panel, and call it good.

Likewise, 61" is plenty tall enough for an actor to play Superman, it is certainly more than average. My point is not that Cavill isnt tall enough for the role. To say so would be very silly.

The only reason I bring it up is because this time a lot of the actors he will be sharing the screen with are his height or taller. This is a rare circumstance with the cast height.

This is a very tall cast; Christopher Meloni 60.5", Lawrence Fishburn 60.5", Kevin Costner 61", Harry Lennix 64", and Michael Shannon at 63".

That tall cast is why I think Snyder and company are already using perspective and boots with lifts to make Cavill look taller as Superman.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #32
GoblinWhirlwind
Calibrations

I actually came around to Joe M during those last few weeks before Cavill was announced, but I'd say the ONLY thing he has over Cavill is height. The dude is huge, I gotta admit that. I saw him in an interview a while back and the guy interviewing him looked like a kid next to Joe. Cavill is plenty tall enough though, never once in any of the set pics did I think he looked small.

- Garrus

Old 10-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #33
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Also wanted to add to that, the sourcebook stats for Thor list him at 6'6", and 640 pounds (is that a typo, or is he extra dense?) and obviosuly he would be very tall, he is a god and never has to pass for human.

Heck they could get away with making Thor 7ft, just be hard to film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinWhirlwind View Post
I actually came around to Joe M during those last few weeks before Cavill was announced, but I'd say the ONLY thing he has over Cavill is height. The dude is huge, I gotta admit that. I saw him in an interview a while back and the guy interviewing him looked like a kid next to Joe. Cavill is plenty tall enough though, never once in any of the set pics did I think he looked small.
Cavill is plenty tall enough for the role. Nobody is arguing that he isn't.

I'm just pointing out that the he is likely going to have lifts in his boots anyway, and that they are likely using persective to make him look taller than he actually is due to the tall height of most of the male cast.

Christopher Meloni 6’0.5", Lawrence Fishburn 6’0.5", Kevin Costner 6’1", Harry Lennix 6’4", Michael Shannon 6’3"

Last edited by SuperMike335!!; 10-20-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #34
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

double post

Last edited by SuperMike335!!; 10-20-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: double
Old 10-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #35
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post

Absolutely, Its an Aesthetic just like a muscular body, square Jaw etc...

I like him to look taller than most other men. Sort of like he would be obviously taller as Superman, but as Clark just a bit of adjusting his posture, and wearing flat sole shoes with no heel, and he stands out less.

Exact numbers are not too important either. Its not like comic artists draw him with a ruler out and make sure to scale him exactly either. They just eyeball it, and try to make him look a little bit taller than most other men on the panel, and call it good.

Likewise, 61" is plenty tall enough for an actor to play Superman, it is certainly more than average. My point is not that Cavill isnt tall enough for the role. To say so would be very silly.

The only reason I bring it up is because this time a lot of the actors he will be sharing the screen with are his height or taller. This is a rare circumstance with the cast height.

This is a very tall cast; Christopher Meloni 60.5", Lawrence Fishburn 60.5", Kevin Costner 61", Harry Lennix 64", and Michael Shannon at 63".

That tall cast is why I think Snyder and company are already using perspective and boots with lifts to make Cavill look taller as Superman.
I agree with you, I just don't personally need superman to say tower over lex for him to still be superman. That's just something that's been drawn a certain way and has really implanted on some fans. The same way I don't need people to tower over Logan for me to fully embrace the idea. Other things need to be in place but characters towering over others is a rare thing in almost all circumstances.

I actually remember one of my friends hating the xmen films because magneto had never been drawn like Ian before. My friends were like where's the height and the muscles...I feel similar applies here.

That being said Stephen Lang was born to plan Magneto. Agree or die.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #36
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Also wanted to add to that, the sourcebook stats for Thor list him at 6'6", and 640 pounds (is that a typo, or is he extra dense?) and obviosuly he would be very tall, he is a god and never has to pass for human.
Thor actually once took on the guise of a mortal man named Sigurd Jarlson -- with glasses and all. It was purposely meant to mimic the Superman/Clark Kent persona. The old boyscout even made a surprise guest appearance in the very issue where the disguise was first introduced.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #37
GoblinWhirlwind
Calibrations

I like how Clark immediately wondered.

- Garrus

Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #38
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
I just want to point out that Cavill has looked plenty tall in videos and photos of him. It's not like we haven't seen him on film yet.
Indeed. And guys who increase the size of their muscle mass sometimes appear a little shorter than they did prior to working out. Cavill's obviously put on quite a lot of weight recently; and he still looks pretty damn tall. That says a lot to me.

Last edited by ArmsHeldOut; 10-20-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #39
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
You're not saying he should only look average height are you?

Cavill is pretty tall at 6'1", which is tall enough to play the character for sure, but when you cast other major roles with actors who are just as tall, then he would look average unless you do use perspective to make him look a little taller than they are when sharing the screen with them in particular.

If Kevin Costner and Lawrence Fishburn were not the same height as Cavill I would not even bring it up, as 6'1" is ussually tall enough to look a few inches taller than most other men on screen. Just not in a case where you are casting guys in roles who will share some amount of screen time with him who make him seem average.

If they do not anything to at least make him look a few inches taller than his co-stars, being they are just as tall as Cavill, he will come across as only average.
Good post. The presence of the other characters on film certainly does make an impact on the way Cavill's Superman is perceived. Has Snyder ever done the "perspective" thing with his characters before?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #40
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Good post. The presence of the other characters on film certainly does make an impact on the way Cavill's Superman is perceived. Has Snyder ever done the "perspective" thing with his characters before?
I think he's done quite a bit of it, and many leading roles have height played with, so its a very common hollywood technique for the film crew.

The biggest example of one Snyder has done is Xerxes, obviously we don't need anything that extreme, but just an example of what Snyder has already done. Rodrigo Santoro is only 6'1.5" and they had him looking 8ft tall.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #41
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
I think he's done quite a bit of it, and many leading roles have height played with, so its a very common hollywood technique for the film crew.

The biggest example of one Snyder has done is Xerxes, obviously we don't need anything that extreme, but just an example of what Snyder has already done. Rodrigo Santoro is only 6'1.5" and they had him looking 8ft tall.
Xerxes! I should have remembered that. Dr. Manhattan too!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #42
Bruce Malone
Why so Bad?

Quote:

That was done for shock effect. Obviously you can't find an actor nearly that tall. It's silly to think they'll use camera angles to make cavill look taller. If 5'9" Keaton can get away with playing 6'2" batman without weird camera perspectives than 6 foot cavill can play 6'3" superman.

If anything they would have used camera angles for bale who's 6 feet like cavill but was surrounded by 6"+ guys like Freeman, Caine and Neeson.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #43
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
That was done for shock effect. Obviously you can't find an actor nearly that tall. It's silly to think they'll use camera angles to make cavill look taller. If 5'9" Keaton can get away with playing 6'2" batman without weird camera perspectives than 6 foot cavill can play 6'3" superman.

If anything they would have used camera angles for bale who's 6 feet like cavill but was surrounded by 6"+ guys like Freeman, Caine and Neeson.
My point exactly. Said characters are drawn tall often but it's not a necessary character trait.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #44
Astrodust
Side-Kick

So anyway I was doing some studying and Googling and then I decided to Google how much the founders of Google made. (True story) Apparently there are two of them and they are worth 16.7 billion... each. Then I was like, I wonder if they are still arguing about Superman's height at The Hype. And lo and behold, people are still up in arms that Cavill's Superman is 2 inches shorter than comic book Superman. I know money isn't everything but you can do a lot of good about with that kind of money. It's certainly some measure of success. Winning an argument about Superman's height, um not so much. So I vow from this day forth that I will do more with my life. I can't promise that I won't be pulled into some ridiculous conversation but it all just seems so trivial.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #45
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

The only reason I brought it up the Xerxes example was because ArmsHeldOut asked if snyder had done any height perspective stuff in his movies before. Actually he, and likely all directors have done this before, but you don't notice it in the films, because the techniques are that easy and come off flawless on film.

In filming all actors in every shot are carefully placed anyway. No detail is ignored. If you notice the way anything is filmed, in all movies when the shots change back and forth even for dialogue scenes with only words being exchanged, camera angle and distance from the actor is planned and executed in detail.

Its not about Cavill looking a specific number of inches on screen. Nobody is getting out a tape measure and making sure he looks a specific height. Nobody is complaining Cavill isn't realy 6'3".

Its about him looking more than average, which he won't when surrounded by actors his height or taller, unless they simply use the normal and common hollywood techniques of making him look a bit taller.

Its very common to have one actor is placed closer to the camera than another, for use in height. Then when one actor is talking the camera is at a slight up or down angle, with that actor looking up or down, to convey a sense of scale, but more importantly who looks more dominant on the screen.

That is WHY height is relevant. That is why Superman is drawn tall in the comic book. If it was entirely irrelevant then he would be drawn to look average height in the comic too. Given that Snyder wanted Cavill to get the comic book muscular build, then chances are good he wants to film him "looking taller" than his co-stars too.

Both of these techniques are often used for leading men in romance movies too. Its that common, and that simple. Id be very surprised if they dont do this MOS. It would be unusual for Snyder NOT to.

Since they carefully place actors anyway is it really any trouble to put him a little closer to the camera than the tall actor he is talking to? Obviously not.

If you notice dialogue scenes in movies the scenes are usually a bunch of back and forth shots of each actor individually, interspersed with shots of both actors on the screen together. Its then edited so that the whole scene flows together, as s if the conversation never stopped. This process is NEVER as simple as point and click filming.

It is SILLY to assume that Cavill looking "tall" in most of his scenes isnt just one detail in what are already carefully laid out scenes, shots, and perspective. He is playing superman after all, and they intend to make him look dominant on screen. You will "see" his co-stars actors "looking up at him" in many scenes in the movie.

Will he look freakishly tall? No. Will he likely seem taller than he actually is? Id count on it.

If you dont think these techniques are as commonly employed as I claim, then go pull out your collection of action movies, the ones starring "manly" action heroes in more physical roles. Notice the angles their faces are filmed from when speaking. Notice they look a bit taller than most of the other men sharing scenes with them, unless the taller guy is a villain or overwhelming odd role. Many of these 6ft plus characters were played by under 510" actors.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #46
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post

I REALLY would not call this Keaton getting away with looking 6'3". Fortunately, we've got Bale and Cavill now.

I'm fine with Perry and Jonathan Kent being the same height as Superman. It fits their characters. I mean part of what makes Clark's build and height excusable is that he is a well-fed farm boy from the Midwest. it only makes sense that his adoptive father is a tall, athletic man as well. Perry is a big personality and being tall suits that in my opinion. He's the "big guy int he office" yelling and intimidating everyone. Also, if Perry ever develops a mentor/father relationship with Clark, in terms of imagery, it makes sense for him to be able to stand next to Clark, equal in height, put his arm around him and dole out some advice.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #47
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
I'm fine with Perry and Jonathan Kent being the same height as Superman. It fits their characters.
Those aren't the only guys he will be sharing screen time with. There is also Christopher Meloni 60.5", Harry Lennix 64", Michael Shannon 63".

Of the actors he will be sharing any screen time with (ignoring Jor-El, as he's not present in Kal's adult life), the only two who are shorter than Cavill who are listed on IMDB are Michael Cerveris at 5'8" (Lex who is just rumored), and Michael Kelly 5'11".

The rest of the cast is Cavill's height, or taller.

Snyder is a very visual director, and I highly doubt he is going to have his Superman looking up at most of the men in his environment.

I think its safe to say Cavill is going to look taller than most of his co-stars in the movie.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #48
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

^You're probably right, but I also thought it would be safe to say that Lois would have her iconic brunette hair and she doesn't. You never know when Snyder's going to try to be different.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #49
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Those aren't the only guys he will be sharing screen time with. There is also Christopher Meloni 60.5", Harry Lennix 64", Michael Shannon 63".

Of the actors he will be sharing any screen time with (ignoring Jor-El, as he's not present in Kal's adult life), the only two who are shorter than Cavill who are listed on IMDB are Michael Cerveris at 5'8" (Lex who is just rumored), and Michael Kelly 5'11".

The rest of the cast is Cavill's height, or taller.

Snyder is a very visual director, and I highly doubt he is going to have his Superman looking up at most of the men in his environment.

I think its safe to say Cavill is going to look taller than most of his co-stars in the movie.
Once again, I'm not too concerned with Lennix, Shannon, or Meloni. I highly doubt Cavill with be standing next to Meloni or Lennix. They are probably going to be trying to blow Superman up from a distance. If Cavill wears lifts and use perspective tricks if they do, that is fine. In regards to Shannon, I'm fine with Zod being taller. He is often portrayed as taller and bigger in the comics. I don't think these men are good examples that Cavill will be looking up at most men in his environment. I think the casting of minor characters and extras will be FAR more important in that regard. It will be the general height of extras in Daily Planet, street, and army scenes, that will determine whether or not Clark/Superman looks tall. Not a few major characters, half of whom will likely never be standing next to him.

Nevertheless, now that I think about it, I think Cavill might have been standing on a soapbox in those early spy photos at the Kent farm.

So either way Mike, I think you have nothing to worry about.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #50
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Once again, I'm not too concerned with Lennix, Shannon, or Meloni. I highly doubt Cavill with be standing next to Meloni or Lennix. They are probably going to be trying to blow Superman up from a distance. If Cavill wears lifts and use perspective tricks if they do, that is fine. In regards to Shannon, I'm fine with Zod being taller. He is often portrayed as taller and bigger in the comics. I don't think these men are good examples that Cavill will be looking up at most men in his environment. I think the casting of minor characters and extras will be FAR more important in that regard. It will be the general height of extras in Daily Planet, street, and army scenes, that will determine whether or not Clark/Superman looks tall. Not a few major characters, half of whom will likely never be standing next to him.

Nevertheless, now that I think about it, I think Cavill might have been standing on a soapbox in those early spy photos at the Kent farm. So either way Mike, I think you have nothing to worry about.
I'm fine with Zod being taller too. I prefer Villains look like overwhelming odds.

If Cavill is not even sharing the scenes with those other actors standing next to them then naturaly its not even relevant as there won't be any contrasting him.

Closed Thread