The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

View Poll Results: Do you want to keep the same score for Thor 2 or something different?
The same score 4 10.53%
The same score but with some slight changes and new themes 28 73.68%
A completely different score 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default I really, REALLY hope they keep the same score!

One thing I hate about when franchises change directors is when the score from the previous movie is totally discarded. Hell sometimes it happens when the director remains the same like with Hellboy 2 and Iron Man 2.

I loved the score for the first Thor movie, I thought it was pretty much perfect in conveying the likes of the main characters and Asgard itself. SO now Branagh aint directing and Jenkins is I just hope she doesnt change the score because when going to see a sequel there is no better feeling than hearing that familiar music again. I dont want the exact same score, as you need to keep it fresh, but I hope the main theme's are definately kept.

Anyone else think the same or would you prefer a new score?

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Aeltri
Elf in Training

Default Re: I really, REALLY hope they keep the same score!

I think they should keep some of Doyle's stylistic elements but I am also of the opinion that his score was rather lackluster. Thor is no 'Needful Things' that's for sure. I collect and study soundtracks so I guess I am somewhat demanding compared to the more casual listener . There is so much material to draw from for inspiration that I think someone like James Hannigan should be given a chance this time around. Ironically, going with a different composer may be one good thing that comes out of Branagh's opting out of directing Thor 2.

Last edited by Aeltri; 10-24-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Aeltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
sgaana
Side-Kick

I admit it -- I really like Doyle's score. I have "The Sons of Odin" in some of the playlists on my iPod, and I always love it when it comes up.

I do sort of agree with people, though, that it doesn't stand out quite as much as you might like music for the Norse God of Thunder to do. I think it's a lovely heroic piece, but it does lack a certain dimension of extra drama that it might have had.

I actually compare it with the score for "How to Train Your Dragon". To be fair, I'm not suggesting that the main themes for HTTYD could be used for Thor, because the HTTYD music is... well, it's very muscular and heroic and exciting, but it's also a little... cartoony. Which completely makes sense for the movie. The movie's Vikings were OTT, so its score needed to be as well.

Thor's shouldn't be as cartoony. But it could stand to be a bit more swashbuckling.

sgaana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
DarknessOfDeath
Baby u light up my world

I agree they should do a new fresh score but keep using the same pieces through out the score. I love the score to bits.

DarknessOfDeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
mclay18
Side-Kick

Why should it have the exact same score? If Doyle comes back for Thor 2, he wouldn't deliver the same score he did for the first one. He'll probably reuse his themes, but he'd do what Patty Jenkins wants.

Or if they get a different composer, the studio would be wise to reuse Doyle's theme anyway.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah I wouldn't think they would change the Score. I mean each character movie has it's own "feel".
It would make sense if they switched from a different studio TO Marvel Studios, but, that's not the case

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
Godzilla2000
Mano Y Mano

I think for Loki they need to give him a darker, more evil sounding theme since it's pretty clear that he's giving in to the darkness, but they should pretty much keep some basic melodies from the original movie's score of course. Maybe add more heavenly choirs and the anguished wails of a soprano singer during sad moments.

- I love the excitement of retaining certain secrets and mysteries to myself and the other important person in my life.

- Keep them guessing what goes on in private behind locked doors is my motto.
Godzilla2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinouga View Post
I think for Loki they need to give him a darker, more evil sounding theme since it's pretty clear that he's giving in to the darkness, but they should pretty much keep some basic melodies from the original movie's score of course. Maybe add more heavenly choirs and the anguished wails of a soprano singer during sad moments.
I'd say this is very likey. Loki never had a theme to himself. He shared a theme with Thor, who also had his own theme. But their theme, the Son's Of Odin theme, was quite literally destroyed when Loki crossed the bridge. So he'll be needing a new theme. Maybe Silvestri will give us one with TA?

Either way I think Doyle is a must. He added a lot of weight to the drama scenes, imagine the scene when Thor can't pick up Mjolnir without the music. Wouldn't have been nearly as effective.

ddddeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #9
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddeeee View Post
I'd say this is very likey. Loki never had a theme to himself. He shared a theme with Thor, who also had his own theme. But their theme, the Son's Of Odin theme, was quite literally destroyed when Loki crossed the bridge. So he'll be needing a new theme. Maybe Silvestri will give us one with TA?

Either way I think Doyle is a must. He added a lot of weight to the drama scenes, imagine the scene when Thor can't pick up Mjolnir without the music. Wouldn't have been nearly as effective.
Agreed, I loved the music in that scene, in fact I thought the music elevated many scene's in the movie above what they may have been like if there was no music there.

Plenty of scene's spring to mind, the opening voice-over by Odin, the scene you mentioned, Thor approaching The Destroyer powerless, Thor coming back to life, the final scene between Thor and Odin as well as between Thor and Heimdall.

The score just fit superbly with the scene's it conveyed, and thats why I love it so much, so yes, Doyle is a definite must for me.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

As long as they bring Doyle back (and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't), then we'll definitely hear the same themes he created for the first movie, but of course expanded upon and added to in order to fit with the new movie. I really hope we don't get another IM1/IM2 situation where they replace the original composer and we get a more generic, less memorable score for the second movie.

Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #11
Gamma Burst
Banned User

I loved the score, specially 'Prologue'!

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
As long as they bring Doyle back (and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't), then we'll definitely hear the same themes he created for the first movie, but of course expanded upon and added to in order to fit with the new movie. I really hope we don't get another IM1/IM2 situation where they replace the original composer and we get a more generic, less memorable score for the second movie.
This is what i'm worried about, IM1's score wasnt that good, but it was better than the one we got for IM2 thats for sure, and the score in Thor was pretty damn good in my eyes, so I just hope they keep the main theme's at least.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #13
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
This is what i'm worried about, IM1's score wasnt that good, but it was better than the one we got for IM2 thats for sure, and the score in Thor was pretty damn good in my eyes, so I just hope they keep the main theme's at least.
The heck, "Driving with the Top Down" wasn't that good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9PhfUsFvj0

chiefchirpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:41 AM   #14
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

I love that song. I thought it was very catchy and memorable. Whereas Iron Man's new theme in the second movie was basically generic fanfare.

Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:44 AM   #15
Guhndoi
Side-Kick's Side-Kick

Quote:
Don't you mean ears?

Guhndoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

.....maybe Aveit has a nice visual going on his computer while it plays lol

....to every King.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #17
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
The heck, "Driving with the Top Down" wasn't that good?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9PhfUsFvj0
It was okay, I still wouldnt compare it to the best score's in this genre, but its much better than anything in IM2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guhndoi View Post
Don't you mean ears?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
.....maybe Aveit has a nice visual going on his computer while it plays lol
Hardy-hardy ha ha .

Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #18
DarknessOfDeath
Baby u light up my world

I liked Iron Man's score but I prefer Thor's score and TIH isn't that bad either. My favourite is Can you see Sif er I mean Jane? Urgent Matter, sons of Odin and definately the Prologue.

DarknessOfDeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
It was okay, I still wouldnt compare it to the best score's in this genre, but its much better than anything in IM2.
Of course, but "Driving with Top Down" doesn't sound that "superhero" and more like natural metal & electronica tune coming out of an action movie. Like in the youtube comments, someone would turn it on his car radio as his morning drive jam. Put in Thor's tune or Superman's people notice it's coming out of a superhero movie.

And yeah Debney's IM2 is just not memorable at all.

chiefchirpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #20
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

Hardy-hardy ha ha .
WHAT? I was sticking up for ya!

Imagine THIS on your media player

....to every King.

Last edited by Vartha; 10-27-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #21
Lady Marion
Anyone else?

Quote:

Imagine THIS on your media player
What is that? Did I smoke something bad?

I like the soundtrack and they should keep some memorable themes, Thor's theme or 'Prologue' for instance. And it would be cool if Loki gets an own theme particulary when he's still the villain. Something dark that you know by the sound when he's coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddeeee

Exactly

Lady Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #22
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Yes, I too hope Doyle stays for the sequel.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:10 AM   #23
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
Of course, but "Driving with Top Down" doesn't sound that "superhero" and more like natural metal & electronica tune coming out of an action movie. Like in the youtube comments, someone would turn it on his car radio as his morning drive jam. Put in Thor's tune or Superman's people notice it's coming out of a superhero movie.

And yeah Debney's IM2 is just not memorable at all.
I personally didnt think Thor's was a typical superhero movie score and thats what I liked about it, it was different and mainly, epic.

Iron Man's was also different but not in that good of a way, it was a bit low-key (or should that be Loki ). But, it was better than anything in IM2.

Quote:
WHAT? I was sticking up for ya!
I know I know .

Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #24
Godzilla2000
Mano Y Mano

Quote:
Regardless of who creates Loki his own theme, I think to reflect his growing megalomania and madness it should be a dark and discordant theme, perhaps accentuated with some demonic male chanting and pipe organs in the background.

Quote:
Yes, I agree that the music Doyle came up with for that scene pretty much enhanced that scene. It was just a heartbreaking thing to watch with that strain of music playing along with it because it was quite a beautiful movement.

- I love the excitement of retaining certain secrets and mysteries to myself and the other important person in my life.

- Keep them guessing what goes on in private behind locked doors is my motto.
Godzilla2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #25
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

I'd like the same score.