Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #76
Punisher Rising
Mechanical Psychopath

Default Re: evil dead remake plot leaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
It doesn't to me, because it has the exact same premise as Evil Dead 1 and 2.

I understand wanting to see more Ash, but I think everybody involved, including Bruce Campbell, have moved on.

But Ash is the face of Evil Dead. He's the main character, he's the star. It's just not right passing something off as Evil Dead without it's star character, it's akin to an Indiana Jones movie with a new lead in place of Indy, himself.

...I am now authorized to use physical force!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #77
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher Rising View Post
But Ash is the face of Evil Dead. He's the main character, he's the star. It's just not right passing something off as Evil Dead without it's star character, it's akin to an Indiana Jones movie with a new lead in place of Indy, himself.
Last I checked the title of the series is The Evil Dead, not Ash vs. ....

I suppose it comes to what you think the essence of the series is. If you think it's a horror/comedy series starring Bruce Campbell, you'll get no argument from me except that I think we should just face facts and consider the franchise dead. Accept the first three films as the low budget gems they are.

OTOH, if you think that there's more that can be done in the Evil Dead universe, then I don't see the problem with reinventing it. I'd much rather try to capture the spirit, with some of the iconography, than try to force some 20-something into doing a Bruce Campbell impression. And, you can't convince me that people wouldn't be doing their best to claim that whatever the title was, it was an Evil Dead ripoff due to the cabin in the woods, Necronomicon, evil deadites, and evil trees that are promised. At least the connection is front and center in the title.

Honestly, I think people are getting needlessly possessive about the title. The Raimi/Campbell Evil Dead series has established its niche in film history. A rebooted Evil Dead series will either stand beside it or be quickly forgotten. No film, no matter the title, has erased the existence of another film. Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead didn't erase Romero's Dawn of the Dead and I don't see why this situation will confuse anyone either. The one's that would potentially be confused are the ones that are least likely to know of the original's existence to begin with.

And, frankly, Raimi owns the title, not the fans. If Raimi gives his blessing, we should give the filmmakers the benefit of the doubt and judge the finished product. If it stinks, it stinks. If it's good, then we have something other than a rehash of a film that doesn't need rehashing. I'd much rather have people try something different that they can put their own stamp on. Isn't the lack of originality what we always complain about with remakes anyways?

If nothing else, I see it as an opportunity to put the horror back into the series which by Army of Darkness had clearly taken a turn into comedy/action.

Last edited by Evil Twin; 03-04-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #78
Punisher Rising
Mechanical Psychopath

Alien is also the title of the Alien series, yet Ripley is it's lead character (at least in the stand-alone series).

As I've said before, I think the premise of this movie is actually interesting, I just think it's a mistake to label it Evil Dead. Making an ED-type movie with a similar premise set in the woods? I'm down for that. But titling it Evil Dead without it's star character? Doesn't sit well with me. I don't think anybody would be pleased if there was a movie with Terminator in it's title, only for it to have nothing to do with the actual Terminator storyline.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #79
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher Rising View Post
Alien is also the title of the Alien series, yet Ripley is it's lead character (at least in the stand-alone series).

As I've said before, I think the premise of this movie is actually interesting, I just think it's a mistake to label it Evil Dead. Making an ED-type movie with a similar premise set in the woods? I'm down for that. But titling it Evil Dead without it's star character? Doesn't sit well with me. I don't think anybody would be pleased if there was a movie with Terminator in it's title, only for it to have nothing to do with the actual Terminator storyline.
I'd put forth that the post-Aliens stories not featuring Ripley in the comics were way more successful artistically than going back to the Ripley well.

But, again, everything reported was that this started life as an Evil Dead scenario and continued as it. There's no getting around the fact that everything we've heard says that it's not coincidentally similar to the first film, albeit not featuring Ash.

It's also worth noting, Evil Dead is a cult franchise not a huge multi-media franchise. There's a small cult that's really committed, and a bunch of people that will see it or not see depending if advertising/reviews are any good.

I agree that people want to see a Terminator in a Terminator film, although whether Schwarzenegger still needs to show up is an open question. That said, there's a chance that people would be ok with a Terminator film that didn't revolve around Sarah Connor and John Connor. Heck, it might even make the Terminators seem threatening again and have us worrying if the main characters are going to make it out of the film. There's something to be said for telling stories outside of the same old box.

In any event, I don't think you can remake Evil Dead precisely in the sense that Bruce Campbell is inseparable from Ash. So, any remake/reboot is guaranteed to be different. I'm willing to embrace the differences as I think that's the way the film is likely to succeed as something that can stand on its own, not as a pale imitation.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #80
Punisher Rising
Mechanical Psychopath

I don't know, to me it's like false advertising to name this Evil Dead when it doesn't have it's star character. How cheated would you feel to go see a movie that was titled Star Wars only for it not to have classic characters in it like Darth Vader, Luke, Han, etc. and the prequels don't count since they're prequels set before the original trilogy, it's just an example.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:14 AM   #81
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
OTOH, if you think that there's more that can be done in the Evil Dead universe, then I don't see the problem with reinventing it. I'd much rather try to capture the spirit, with some of the iconography, than try to force some 20-something into doing a Bruce Campbell impression. And, you can't convince me that people wouldn't be doing their best to claim that whatever the title was, it was an Evil Dead ripoff due to the cabin in the woods, Necronomicon, evil deadites, and evil trees that are promised. At least the connection is front and center in the title.
Alison Lohman in Drag me was pretty much a female version of Ash at the end of the film. If Raimi was making this or at least writing. I dont think I would have a problem wit a loose interpretation of Ash. Without Raimi probably not. There is no confidence or proof any of the cast or filmakers can handle this classic. Diablo Cody is the only thing it has, and alot of people arent happy with that.

Evil Dead 1 can wrk without an Ash character. Ill give you that. Hes still the lead in it and personally its not a movie I would like to see. Ash is Evil Dead as much as Kreuger is NOES an Jason Voorhees is Friday the 13th. Even there, Friday the 13th one has little to do with Jason, but then why would you see a remake with him? Because a guy with a hockey mask and a machete is what sells it. Just like a guy with a chainsaw for a hand is what sells Evil Dead.

There is no way ED2 and AOD would work without Ash. Zero. Those movies revolve around him.

Last edited by def28; 03-05-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 AM   #82
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

I've no argument for those who think it's unlikely to be good. I think there are perfectly legitimate grounds for skepticism.

That said, Raimi, Tapert, and Campbell are all reportedly on board as producers. Raimi seems to have had some input on the script. And there are a host of similarities with the first Evil Dead film from what we know. I don't know why we need to be more possessive about the series than the people that actually own the series and seem to be fine with passing the torch. If Raimi thinks he's giving a chance to some up and comers similar to the chance he got as a young director, then bless him.

And, who knows, Campbell is involved and we may even get an Ash cameo.

Yeah, I wish there were more films directed by Raimi with Bruce Campbell as Ash. But, it's been 19 years already and at this point I think it's obvious that both Raimi and Campbell have moved on to bigger, although not necessarily better, things.

And, bottom line, if the movie is good, complaints about the title are meaningless. If the movie is bad, it will be quickly forgotten and a footnote.

Heck, if the ED reboot becomes the Halloween III of the series it will have some defenders. The Thing, NOES, F13, and Halloween reboots didn't go anywhere and people specifically cite the feeling of been there, done that with several of them. Perhaps trying something different will do the trick. It's certainly more ambitious than a lazy rehash.

Who knows. There was a lot of skepticism about a Star Trek series without Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, and yet ST:TNG has plenty of fans. Admittedly that's the upside, but I think we shouldn't forget that an upside exists.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #83
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
That said, Raimi, Tapert, and Campbell are all reportedly on board as producers. Raimi seems to have had some input on the script. And there are a host of similarities with the first Evil Dead film from what we know. I don't know why we need to be more possessive about the series than the people that actually own the series and seem to be fine with passing the torch. If Raimi thinks he's giving a chance to some up and comers similar to the chance he got as a young director, then bless him.
Im worried this is just an easy paycheck for Raimi and producers. I would have liked to see more involvement from them. Hope Im wrong.

Quote:
And, who knows, Campbell is involved and we may even get an Ash cameo.
Im really hoping for this.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #84
Punisher Rising
Mechanical Psychopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Evil Dead 1 can wrk without an Ash character. Ill give you that. Hes still the lead in it and personally its not a movie I would like to see. Ash is Evil Dead as much as Kreuger is NOES an Jason Voorhees is Friday the 13th. Even there, Friday the 13th one has little to do with Jason, but then why would you see a remake with him? Because a guy with a hockey mask and a machete is what sells it. Just like a guy with a chainsaw for a hand is what sells Evil Dead.

There is no way ED2 and AOD would work without Ash. Zero. Those movies revolve around him.

Precisely. It's a mistake to title this Evil Dead and not have Ash in it.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #85
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Im worried this is just an easy paycheck for Raimi and producers. I would have liked to see more involvement from them. Hope Im wrong.
How big of a paycheck could there really be from this anyways? At least without it being a big hit, which would imply that they did something right.

Considering how much money Raimi has made from his television and film work, I have a hard time believing that the film can offer more than relative peanuts to him.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #86
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
How big of a paycheck could there really be from this anyways? At least without it being a big hit, which would imply that they did something right.

Considering how much money Raimi has made from his television and film work, I have a hard time believing that the film can offer more than relative peanuts to him.
Just cause its a hit with making money doesnt mean it will be good or it was done right. Alot of these remakes make money simply cause of their name and previous fan base, I have a hard time believing this movie needs to be made at all.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #87
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Just cause its a hit with making money doesnt mean it will be good or it was done right. Alot of these remakes make money simply cause of their name and previous fan base, I have a hard time believing this movie needs to be made at all.
Sure, I understand that bad movies make money all the time. As do bad remakes. But, in this case I ask, why would Sam Raimi have input in the script and attach himself as a producer if he didn't believe in the film in some way? Given the modest budget and his previous financial successes, "he's doing it for the money" seems presumptuous because there simply isn't much money for a director of his stature up front.

Which doesn't mean he's not off base. He very well could be. But, I don't think this is a case of Spielberg putting his name on the Transformers films. There are probably dozens of studio projects or tv projects that can offer Raimi a bigger paycheck if he's just looking for a paycheck.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #88
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sure, I understand that bad movies make money all the time. As do bad remakes. But, in this case I ask, why would Sam Raimi have input in the script and attach himself as a producer if he didn't believe in the film in some way? Given the modest budget and his previous financial successes, "he's doing it for the money" seems presumptuous because there simply isn't much money for a director of his stature up front.

Which doesn't mean he's not off base. He very well could be. But, I don't think this is a case of Spielberg putting his name on the Transformers films. There are probably dozens of studio projects or tv projects that can offer Raimi a bigger paycheck if he's just looking for a paycheck.
Raimi throws his name as producer on a bunch of horror flicks some which are pretty ******. I really dont know the extent of how much money would be earned for this film cause its not out yet, but producers do make quite a bit of cash. Theres no proof of anything right now, and no way of knowing till its out. Horror remakes dont have a good track record and just cause someones on as producer doesnt mean much to me. I see that happen alot with films. Its not a Raimi movie and Campbells not in it. Thats enough for me to go "lame, why should I go see this?" until proven otherwise. Plus there is nothing going for this film right now except for Diablo Cody. Could also be the studio just wants it. Evil Dead has a solid fan base. Studios have been trying to cash in on remakes of 80s horror flicks for the past 5 years pretty heavily, even though they all pretty much suck.

Bottom line wont know till its out.

Last edited by def28; 03-06-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #89
chelo248
Side-Kick

'Melrose Place' Actress Joining 'Evil Dead' Remake:
Jessica Lucas is in talks to star in the Fede Alvarez-directed film.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #90
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

^ She's gorgeous.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #91
kickass
Side-Kick

Loved Jessica Lucas. A natural talent. She was great in Cloverfield.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #92
Kar
Side-Kick

The hell? http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...of-evil-dead-4

Old 05-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #93
corby
?

Wow, I don't think the writer for Complex did anything more than skim the article at The Hollywood Reporter

The THR article clearly states that there are two Evil Dead movies trying to get made. Sam Raimi's production company is producing the remake and Award Pictures is trying to make a sequel titled "Evil Dead 4: Consequences". Raimi is trying to stop them but Award claims he abandoned the trademark long ago and they are free to make their own sequel.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #94
Thundarr
Side-Kick

I'm personally against remakes in general, as most of them turn out to be utter crap. However, as Bruce Campbell is getting way too old to play Ash anymore, I can understand the need to do a remake. If it were up to me, I would recast Ash with a younger actor. My personal choice would be Nick Brendon (Xander from Buffy The Vampire Slayer).
However, I do see the POV of making an Evil Dead movie without a new Ash. In the first Evil Dead movie Ash was just the last to die. He didn't become the wisecracking monster fighter we all know and love until the second movie. So if they're remaking the first movie, the Ash character is very expendable.

As for whether or not this remake will be any good, I have my doubts. We might get lucky and get The Thing, but more than likely we'll get stuck with Rob Zombie's Halloween.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #95
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
I'm personally against remakes in general, as most of them turn out to be utter crap. However, as Bruce Campbell is getting way too old to play Ash anymore, I can understand the need to do a remake. If it were up to me, I would recast Ash with a younger actor. My personal choice would be Nick Brendon (Xander from Buffy The Vampire Slayer).
However, I do see the POV of making an Evil Dead movie without a new Ash. In the first Evil Dead movie Ash was just the last to die. He didn't become the wisecracking monster fighter we all know and love until the second movie. So if they're remaking the first movie, the Ash character is very expendable.

As for whether or not this remake will be any good, I have my doubts. We might get lucky and get The Thing, but more than likely we'll get stuck with Rob Zombie's Halloween.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #96
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post

Glad you liked it. Nick Brendon is great in those comedy/action roles. He's well liked by fans of the horror/comedy genre. The character of Xander was very much like the character of Ash, especially in Seasons 5 - 7 of Buffy. And he kinda looks like a young Bruce Campbell. In my mind, the perfect choice.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #97
Mike_D202
Green Lantern's roommate

Yeah but his age is getting up there too, Bruce started the movies in his 20s.

I imagine there was more of "MoS was a disappointment," with maybe a splash of "DC is dragging their feet." Maybe even "DC is just making a cash grab."
Old 05-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #98
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_D202 View Post
Yeah but his age is getting up there too, Bruce started the movies in his 20s.
Nick's in his early 30's. And like they say, 30 is the new 20 (lol).

Old 06-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #99
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by corby View Post
Wow, I don't think the writer for Complex did anything more than skim the article at The Hollywood Reporter

The THR article clearly states that there are two Evil Dead movies trying to get made. Sam Raimi's production company is producing the remake and Award Pictures is trying to make a sequel titled "Evil Dead 4: Consequences". Raimi is trying to stop them but Award claims he abandoned the trademark long ago and they are free to make their own sequel.

I would like to see how that turn out, just to show how f****d up a franchise can become

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #100
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Closed Thread