The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 05-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #1
Ene
Oscar Bait

Default Superhero Soundtrack - 2016 Edition

What has been your favorite soundtrack from all of the superhero movies released in 2016? Which one are you looking forward the most?

My own ranking:
Batman v Superman - 7/10
Ambitious, but very ill-fitting at times, and not quite at the level these two composers usually work at.

Deadpool - 6/10
Very good and positively different, but not something I would listen to out of context.

Captain America: Civil War - 4/10

Background music without many characteristics. The one real flaw that movie had from becoming an instant classic for me.

Expectations:
X-Men: Apocalypse
I really like Ottman's earlier work with the X-Men movies, so I'm expecting a lot from Apocalypse as well. Just to hear that classic X2 theme again will be a delight.

Suicide Squad
I'm so excited for this one. Steven Price is a genious and his work on Gravity is one of my all time favorite soundtracks.

Doctor Strange
Hard to say, yet. The MCU isn't known for fantastic soundtracks, but considering how special Doctor Strange is, the music should have some very special flair to it as well.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
ernesth100
Spidey-Hog

Default Re: Superhero Soundtrack - 2016 Edition

BvS won with Wonder Womans theme

#DesignedByTonyStark
ernesth100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
David H.
Side-Kick

Haha, WW's theme caught me by surprised. Zack should have made a Heavy Metal movie instead.

David H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
Logan0327
Side-Kick

dont know why the mcu cant get good soundtracks henry jackman scored civil war and the score was forgettable

especially when you compare it to jackman's work on x men first class

Logan0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I don't know why it is that Marvel scores seem to be so forgettable. It's like they consistently drop the ball in the one area where DC almost always succeeds- memorable scores and villains.

They've obviously been hugely successful despite that, but it's definitely one of those things that contributes to the "big budget TV show" feeling of their universe.

BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #6
The_Manhunter
BvS Fan

BvS by far. It's my favorite superhero score ever.

The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

BvS wins so far.

Who put Bella in the wych elm? Hans Van Houten did.
Greens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #8
Ene
Oscar Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I don't know why it is that Marvel scores seem to be so forgettable. It's like they consistently drop the ball in the one area where DC almost always succeeds- memorable scores and villains.

They've obviously been hugely successful despite that, but it's definitely one of those things that contributes to the "big budget TV show" feeling of their universe.
Indeed. And that's really why I can't yet put Civil War into the category of truly memorable legendary superhero movies like The Dark Knight or X2, since it really doesn't have a memorable soundtrack or even a theme. Music is a huge part of the full iconography these movies should provide, and that's really absent. It's sad, since quality wise Civil War is definitely up there, but that something missing is bugging me.

BvS I think succeeded for the most part with it's music, but some of it was forgettable or plain right obnoxious, like Lex's theme. I really hate that moment when he's walking and the theme is playing for the first time, just overly obnoxious. Something less on-the-nose would have worked wonders. I absolutely love Their War Here and Is She With You?.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:39 AM   #9
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Deadpool - Junkie XL
Aside from droning I wasn't expecting much from Junkie XL, when he signed on. After one viewing of the movie the score failed to leave an impression on me b/c I honestly didn't notice any music accompanying it. I'm not bothering with the soundtrack album to find out. The songs played a bigger role in the movie than the score did anyway. So it didn't matter in the long run it was just an easy paycheck for Junkie.

Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice - Hans Zimmer & Junkie XL
I don't know what Zimmer sees in Junkie XL but I wasn't expecting much since (aside from Ottman's underrated Superman Returns) the scores to DC movies post '05' have been mostly generic droning. BvS was no exception. Certain moments of the score in the film (based off the samples from the soundtrack album) were overbearing.

I wasn't a fan of Zimmer's MOS score so I didn't care about his even bleaker Superman motif returning. I agree with Ene about Luthor's theme/motif being obnoxious though fitting for Eisenbergs version of Lex.

Junkie's bombastic Batman theme/motif was nothing special and was lacking something that screamed Batman, imo. And sounded like a variation of the "horns of doom" from Zimmer's Inception. Junkie was trying too hard to make it seem hardcore and aggressive. I didn't mind the solemn trumpet motif for Bruce.

Wonder Woman's electric cello driven theme/motif was interesting though a little too hip for my liking. The score to me felt like it was still in the brainstorming stage b/c a lot of the themes/motifs felt repetitive and lacked nuance imo. I honestly believe Zimmer clicked the most with the Spider-Man character than he has with any of the DC superheroes.

Captain America: Civil War - Henry Jackman
Even though I thought CA:TWS score was decent and serviceable overall. I still wasn't expecting to be impressed much by Jackman's CA:CW. From what I noticed on one viewing the emotional theme/motif, which was used during the climax between Steve, Bucky, and Stark, was the only piece that left a strong impression on me.

X-Men:Apocalypse - John Ottman
I was somewhat underwhelmed by Ottman's DOFP score. Aside from the glorious return of his X2 theme the rest of the score didn't measure up to X2 or to the emotional heights of Ottman's own Superman Returns. Also Xavier's theme was distractingly similar to Zimmer's "Time" piece from Inception, imo. I get the impression during post production of DOFP that Ottman concentrated more on the editing than the scoring. I'm hoping that he's found a perfect balance between the editing and scoring for X:A as he did for X2. There's so much potential with Apocalypse being the main villain. I'm a little worried that he blew a wad out of this genre after his Superman Returns score.

Suicide Squad -Steven Price
I haven't any clue what to expect from this score. I'm not familiar with Price's work, but I'm hoping for something unconventional from previous DC scores.

Doctor Strange - Michael Giacchino
Easily my most anticipated superhero score of 2016. Michael Giacchino rarely disappoints, imo. I'm hoping for a unique Giacchino and MCU score. This score and movie has a lot of potential. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up (for me) being top contender of the year for best superhero score.

Pre X-men: Apocalypse I haven't been wowed by any 2016 superhero scores as of yet.

Last edited by Elevator Man; 05-21-2016 at 12:44 AM.
Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:23 AM   #10
Drz
Real Hero

1) Batman v Superman entire soundtrack
2) Apocalypse's theme song
3) Winter Soldier's theme song.

"Social critics donít mean a thing to me. Itís really easy to ignore them, because I believe in what Iím doing 100 percent. So any naysayers for the public good can just buzz off. They might be a drag for a moment, but after that moment is over, it always ends up being gasoline to my fire." - Quentin Tarantino
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:11 AM   #11
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Really liked BvS's score. Top quality tracks in there. The MCU doesn't do it for me musically.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #12
Drizzle
I'm just getting started

As far as score, I thought Batman v. Superman's was stronger than Civil War. However, my favorite soundtrack so far is Deadpool.

Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 03:45 PM   #13
Milu
Batterson J. Manford III

1. X-Men Apocalypse. John Ottman hasn't let me down with an X-score yet.
2. Deadpool. Okay score, but what really makes the soundtrack stand out is the choice of songs.
3. Civil War. It's weird; I appreciated CW's more orchestral approach, and I actually like Cap's new theme, but didn't think the score as a whole was as strong as TWS's.
4. Batman V Superman. Too loud, and not particularly memorable.

Old 05-29-2016, 04:54 PM   #14
Greens
I am Danny DeVito

I liked some of the BvS tracks but I agree that it was way too loud. I walked out with a headache.

Who put Bella in the wych elm? Hans Van Houten did.
Greens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:00 PM   #15
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

X-Men: Apocalypse - John Ottman

Well I'll add Ottman's X:A to the list of superhero scores of 2016 that didn't impressed me unfortunately. I haven't heard the score outside of the movie so I'm going off my first viewing of the film. Aside from one of the movements from Beethoven's 7th and the recurring themes (X2 main theme and Striker's motif) from previous X-men movies (X2 and DOFP) nothing from Ottman's serviceable score really resonated, imo. But then again most scores these days tend to that on first viewing b/c my attention is usually on the movie to even notice unless it's very conspicuous.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 PM   #16
Brother Jack
Coffee/Contemplation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
I liked some of the BvS tracks but I agree that it was way too loud. I walked out with a headache.
BVS was like a collection of all of Zimmer's worst tendencies ratcheted up to 11. Just an overbearing wall of sound without any memorable thematic pinning apart from reused MOS material. It features probably my least favorite Batman theme ever done.

I am tired of earth
These people
I am tired of being caught
in the tangle of their lives
Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:01 PM   #17
Drizzle
I'm just getting started

I'd now say that X-Men: Apocalypse had the best score of the superhero movies this year so far. John Ottman never disappoints on his X-Men scores.

Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote