The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Favorite Marvel Studios CBM Of 2014?
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 49 70.00%
Guardians of the Galaxy 21 30.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick

Default Captain America: The Winter Soldier vs Guardians of the Galaxy

Which of these well-received Marvel Studios films was your favorite?

1) Avengers Age of Ultron 2) The Dark Knight 3) Guardians of the Galaxy 4) Man of Steel 5) The Avengers 6) The Dark Knight Rises 7) Thor The Dark World 8) Captain America The Winter Soldier 9) Batman Begins 10) X-Men DOFP
The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier vs Guardians of the Galaxy

TWS. I loved Guardians but Cap has more rewatch value.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
TWS. I loved Guardians but Cap has more rewatch value.
Different strokes for different folks, I've already seen Guardians more than I've seen The Winter Soldier.

1) Avengers Age of Ultron 2) The Dark Knight 3) Guardians of the Galaxy 4) Man of Steel 5) The Avengers 6) The Dark Knight Rises 7) Thor The Dark World 8) Captain America The Winter Soldier 9) Batman Begins 10) X-Men DOFP
Old 02-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #4
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

I love them both. Easily in my top 10 CBMs ever. But I give the edge to TWS for it's depth and exciting plot. I think Pierce and the Winter Soldier were more memorable villains than Ronan.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Winter Soldier definitely. Better lead, better female lead, better plot, better villains, better action, etc... Guardians isn't bad, however I feel it's dragged down by it's complete mishandling of Gamora, an awful villain, it's unpolished feel and uninteresting action scenes, especially the climax.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

TWS pretty handily. This poll is my #3 MCU film vs. my #8 MCU film.

Last edited by kedrell; 02-19-2015 at 06:41 PM.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
DA_Champion
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I'm not sure which is better. I had comparable enjoyment, I think GoTG was slightly better, in part due to the superior third act, but I'm not sure.

I'm curious to see which movie will be more widely beloved in ten years.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
Victarion
Cut

Guardians, easily. I found the heroes more likable than Captain, plus I enjoyed the science fantasy elements.

"..the mere intimation that there might be more to a heroic narrative than the heroes are the Good Guys, the villains are Bad Guys and the heroes should Win a rousing Victory appears to be in itself such an offensive contention that it arouses a kind of defensive knee-jerk hysteria just by surfacing." - Richard K Morgan
Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #9
Godzillasaurus
Someone with no strings

GOTG failed to impress me, to be honest. TWS, on the other hand, is an excellent installment in the MCU and is easily one of the greatest films that I have ever watched

Godzillasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
Greens
Joker meltdown 24/4/15-?

I had a lot more fun watching Guardians.

Greens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
HaplessHenchman
Goon for hire

TWS for me. GOTG was great but the "dancing to distract the bad guy" scene was a bit too much for me.

HaplessHenchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
Bim
Side-Kick

Loved both, but Captain America wins, for sure.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #13
Spider-Aziz
Taking a Long Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
Loved both, but Captain America wins, for sure.
That's how I see it.

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:01 PM   #14
Greens
Joker meltdown 24/4/15-?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaplessHenchman View Post
TWS for me. GOTG was great but the "dancing to distract the bad guy" scene was a bit too much for me.
I loved Guardians but that scene was cringe-worthy.

Greens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:11 PM   #15
DA_Champion
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

FWIW,

An article on Slate.com recently ranked all 60 films to receive oscar nominations this year.

Captain America 2 came in at 13th place,
Guardians of the Galaxy in 26th place,
X-Men DoFP in 39th place

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/c..._ranked.2.html

Quote:
39. X-Men: Days of Future Past: Did you know that this is the first movie in the X-Men franchise to get any Oscar nomination in any category? Doesn’t that seem kind of nuts? No makeup nominations for Mystique’s blue body paint. No visual effects nods for Magneto moving the Golden Gate Bridge. No Best Picture nomination for X2. (Yes, it deserved one.) Guess all it took was Evan Peters racing around a lab listening to Jim Croce to grab voters’ attention. Nomination: Best Visual Effects
Quote:
26. Guardians of the Galaxy: Over the summer, when Guardians was tearing up the box office and sending audiences fluttering up to the heavens on little Groot leaves, there was a lot of talk about whether the film might end up being a Best Picture contender, and what it might mean for Hollywood and the awards process if it didn’t. Thankfully, like all big talk about giving Oscars to summer blockbusters, it died down after August. This charming, slight, silly adventure wouldn’t hold up all that well to the scrutiny the biggest Oscar nomination would bring. Then again, look at all those Best Picture nominees waaaaaay behind Guardians on this list. Nominations: Best Visual Effects, Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Quote:
13. Captain America: The Winter Soldier: Sorry, I know I’m supposed to see the Marvel movies as representative of the downfall of the cinema. But I’m unwilling to demonize movies this dedicated to bringing an ambitious, multilimbed storytelling experiment to mass audiences. Popcorn blockbusters have generally been treated by the Oscars as disposable platforms for effects innovations; it’s tough to suddenly start looking at megamovies for their invigorating storytelling when you never have before. But I think Winter Soldier deserves that. Nomination: Best Visual Effects

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #16
Visualiza
What is a yout?

TWS. Guardians was good enough, but a little rough a round the edges in some areas, and downright sloppy in others. TWS was exceptionally well polished from top to bottom. In all honesty, I don't think GotG was one of Marvel's stronger outings. I'm still glad it was as successful as it was though, as it's a better segue into the cosmic side of things than Thor has proven to be.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #17
Drz
Real Hero

TWS had better stunt work and action that i liked.

"This should be agony. I should be a mass of aching muscle — broken, spent, unable to move. And, were I an older man, I surely would... But I'm a man of 30 — of 20 again. The rain on my chest is a baptism. I'm born again."
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #18
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick

I'm genuinely curious as to why so many think Cap 2 is better - for me it's Guardians, hands down. For instance, I thought in GOTG that the characters were more likeable (Rocket/Groot/Star-lord especially), the action scenes were handled better, and the soundtrack was better (not just the use of the retro songs, but the score as well had more memorable moments for me). Just curious. Both were good but I thought GOTG was clearly better.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #19
AVEITWITHJAMON
False God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Manhunter View Post
Different strokes for different folks, I've already seen Guardians more than I've seen The Winter Soldier.
Same here, I find much more re-watchability with Guardians were as Cap I am a bit bored of after a few watches.

1)Kingsman: The Secret Service-9(2)Ex Machina-8.5(3)John Wick-8(4)Chappie-6
AVEITWITHJAMON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #20
Drz
Real Hero

What memorable action scenes did GOTG bave besides Groot's impaling people and Starlord being recognized by Korath? Then you had generic star wars-esque space ship pew pew things. :b

"This should be agony. I should be a mass of aching muscle — broken, spent, unable to move. And, were I an older man, I surely would... But I'm a man of 30 — of 20 again. The rain on my chest is a baptism. I'm born again."
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #21
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm genuinely curious as to why so many think Cap 2 is better - for me it's Guardians, hands down. For instance, I thought in GOTG that the characters were more likeable (Rocket/Groot/Star-lord especially), the action scenes were handled better, and the soundtrack was better (not just the use of the older songs, but the score as well had more memorable moments for me). Just curious. Both were good but I thought GOTG was clearly better.
Personally, GOTG is dragged down by how Gamora got treated, Ronan's awfulness, an unpolished feel, scenes that just didn't work (12% of a plan comes to mind, also "he's an *******, but not 100% a dick"), the distractingly digital look of the movie and the dull climax. Rocket, Groot and Star-Lord are fun, the music is great, the effects look great, lots of funny moments, the prison scene is really good but those elements and possibly others I'm forgetting drag the film down in my eyes. Winter Soldier, meanwhile, I feel has a better story, better characters on the whole, much better action, better villains, etc...

Old 02-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #22
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
What memorable action scenes did GOTG bave besides Groot's impaling people and Starlord being recognized by Korath? Then you had generic star wars-esque space ship pew pew things. :b
Well I am a huge Star Wars fan so that's probably why I enjoyed it, but it was also done very well IMO. I thought the Nova Corps vs Ronan's ship and the fights for the Orb at the beginning (both the one on Morag and the one on Xandar) were all very well done just to name a few.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #23
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Another poll thread? lol. TWS was the better film. I loved guardians, but Cap is my favorite character and his movie was awesome.

Unbroken- 8/10, Night at the Museum 3- 7/10, Taken 3- 6/10, Jupiter Ascending- 4/10, McFarland USA- 8/10, Cinderella- 8.5/10, Home- 6/10, Furious 7- 8/10, Monkey Kingdom- 8/10, Avengers: Age of Ultron- 9.5/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #24
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Queen View Post
Personally, GOTG is dragged down by how Gamora got treated, Ronan's awfulness, an unpolished feel, scenes that just didn't work (12% of a plan comes to mind, also "he's an *******, but not 100% a dick"), the distractingly digital look of the movie and the dull climax. Rocket, Groot and Star-Lord are fun, the music is great, the effects look great, lots of funny moments, the prison scene is really good but those elements and possibly others I'm forgetting drag the film down in my eyes. Winter Soldier, meanwhile, I feel has a better story, better characters on the whole, much better action, better villains, etc...
I'll give you better story - the whole Hydra inside Shield thing was genius - then again, it was already going to be a hard sell for Marvel because of stuff like Rocket and Groot, so a simple story worked in my eyes for GOTG. I don't see how it had better characters though. We've got Captain America, who is in my view not only a boring character, but a somewhat unlikeable one because he is perfect and he knows it. Black Widow was probably done better than Gamora, but I thought they were both very good. Fury is Fury, I really like what SLJ brings to the table. Falcon was decent and done well for what they tried to do, but I just feel like I've seen characters like him before as far as the soldier background, and by the end of the movie he was just comic relief/Cap's sidekick, kinda Robin-esque (although it is well done by Mackie). He reminds me a lot of John Blake from TDKR actually. But that's, what, 3 good characters (I'm counting Falcon, as I liked him overall) compared to all 5 of the Guardians being very-well fleshed out, with less time to work with as well.

I have to disagree completely on better action - I didn't like how the camera-work was all over the place, and some of the CGI could have been better in TWS. My only major complaint about the action in GOTG was I wish Drax would have put up a better fight against Ronan. As far as villains, Pierce was good, but I preferred Ronan - Lee Pace just excels in the role and appears to enjoy himself. Plus, it's easy to know his motivations, as he mentions it right away (my father, and his father before him) - whereas Redford doesn't appear as crazy about it as Pace, but still seems to be enjoying himself, and his motivations are, IMO, not as good as Ronan's. Both were very good, but I give the edge to Ronan (who was also much more threatening).

I thought the Winter Soldier himself was pretty one-note, in all honesty. Stan did good with what he had, but honestly Thanos was given more development than Bucky - which is fine considering the plot of Winter Soldier, but IMO that doesn't make Winter Soldier a complex villain like Loki, just an intimidating one.

I also didn't have a problem with a majority of the dialogue - I enjoyed the 12% scene for example, it was one of my favorite conversations in the movie. I also don't see how it was distractingly digital - if anything, I was a tad distracted by some of the prosthetic aliens.

Just my thoughts and constructive criticism for/comments on these movies, and btw I still think TWS is a well-done movie, I liked most of it, I just think that GOTG is better.

Last edited by The_Manhunter; 02-18-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #25
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'll give you better story - the whole Hydra inside Shield thing was genius - then again, it was already going to be a hard sell for Marvel because of stuff like Rocket and Groot, so a simple story worked in my eyes for GOTG. I don't see how it had better characters though. We've got Captain America, who is in my view not only a boring character, but a somewhat unlikeable one because he is perfect and he knows it. Black Widow was probably done better than Gamora, but I thought they were both very good. Fury is Fury, I really like what SLJ brings to the table. Falcon was decent, but I've seen characters like him before. But that's, what, 3 good characters compared to all 5 of the Guardians being very-well fleshed out, with less time to work with as well.

I have to disagree completely on better action - I didn't like how the camera-work was all over the place, and some of the CGI could have been better. As far as villains, Pierce was good, but I preferred Ronan - Lee Pace just excels in the role and appears to enjoy himself. Plus, it's easy to know his motivations, as he mentions it right away (my father, and his father before him) - whereas Redford doesn't appear as crazy about it as Pace, but still seems to be enjoying himself. Both were very good, but I give the edge to Ronan (who was also much more threatening).

I thought the Winter Soldier himself was pretty one-note, in all honesty. Stan did good with what he had, but honestly Thanos was given more development that Bucky - which is fine considering the plot of Winter Soldier, but IMO that doesn't make Winter Soldier a complex villain like Loki, just an intimidating one.

I also didn't have a problem with a majority of the dialogue - I loved the 12% scene for example, it was one of my favorite conversations in the movie. I also don't see how it was distractingly digital - if anything, I was a tad distracted by some of the prosthetic aliens.

Just my thoughts, and btw I still think TWS is a well-done movie, I just think that GOTG is better.
The story I don't think was an issue in Guardians, just to clarify, it's just that the one in Winter Soldier interested me more.

Personally, I didn't find Cap unlikeable. Though I will agree that he's not the most interesting character in his own movie. As with the first, I preferred the female lead of the film. And, in Winter Soldier's case, the rest of the supporting cast for the most part. But I didn't dislike him either. Between the two protagonists though, I do give it to Star-Lord (as he really is the lead of that movie, imo). I'm really going to object though to Gamora being very good. The most dangerous woman in the galaxy, well known assassin, all that....spends her first fight getting beaten by a space pirate and two thugs, then later she's of course the one who has to be saved. It just made me roll my eyes in the theater and undercut the character. Not surprised though, considering who wrote the movie.

I never found the camera work distracting in TWS myself. My preference of fights is partially due to preferring hand to hand and more physical stuff than see CGI ships fly around. Especially once it got to the climax, which bored me to tears.

Pierce wasn't the villain to be enjoying yourself in like Ronan was in Guardians. He wasn't as over the top like Ronan was. And I'm sorry, I can't find the guy who stops his evil plan that's seconds away from succeeding because someone started dancing to be threatening. Winter Soldier wasn't one note, imo, as seen in moments like the bank scene. On the whole though, yes, of course he was. But he wasn't the main villain and there was a plot reason so I didn't have any issues with it. Nebula seemed cool in Guardians, but she didn't get enough to do. And Rumlow was a great henchman character.

When I say distractingly digital, I'm not talking the CGI. The CGI was all well done. What I'm referring to is the look of the film. They used digital cameras, and while some directors pull it off (see: every time David Fincher has used them, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, The Fault in Our Stars), others (like James Gunn, it seems) can't and the end result leaves the film with a "made for TV" feel.

But yeah, we're both arguing movies neither of us dislike, just prefer the opposite one.