The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #51
Super Film
Side-Kick
 
Super Film's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 482
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

I believe this is what is called, "dropping the ball". Maybe not though, but I withhold my hopefulness ever since a certain movie from 2006.

Super Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #52
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,500
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Ok those just sound completely made up, like when they were hashing out ideas for X3 he was like "Hey guys let's have Leech in a backpack lololololololololololol!!" Too ridiculous! Still sounds to me like Penn was trying to come up with things that could possibly have made the movie worse.

Vaughn already had a lot of control on XMFC and his ideas helped fine-tune everything. Without him, Magneto's theme would have been over the top and hilarious. Without him, beast would have looked like a gargoyle. Don't forget too that he was the one behind casting McAvoy and Fassbender after witnessing their unbelievable screentest. He was the one, with Goldman, who tore up the initial script and rewrote it into what it turned out to be. Granted many of the lines are top-notch cheesy (don't even get me started on Mutant And Proud), but the flow of the rest of the film works out great. This film is the best X-Men film because it deals with the characters and the action is secondary. Unless you include Wolverine in EVERY SINGLE MOVIE BEFORE XMFC, the other films don't boast that as well. I think Vaughn can knock a sequel out of the park, especially if he gets most of the rest of his creative team on board to help him out.
Exactly, I doubt Fc would have been half as good as it was without Vaughn involvement, he practically wrote the script from scrath when he came on board which has been confirmed. As for X3 and the things Nell listed, it was never confirmed exactly who came up with those ideas, seeing their track record, i'd guess and Kinberg and Penn came up with half of them themselves and tried to fall back on blaming Vaughn for them when the movie turned out complete ****.

Confirm Vaughn is coming back and I will be confident about this thing, otherwise at the moment I my expecations are seriously lowered.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #53
Rac
Deadite
 
Rac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland
Posts: 6,371
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Well, I hope Jane Goldman (along with Vaughn) will do a rewrite. Not a fan of Kinberg.

__________________
"But I did stay very true not only to the first two movies but to the comic books." -Brett Ratner on X3
"I'm ready to go to war against them, but I can't because they don't give a s--t." -Mathieu Kassovitz on 20th Century Fox
Rac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #54
flickchick85
Loose Seal
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,855
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
After Vaughn's departure, Penn said something to the effect of "If you guys think -this- is bad (the movie we got) it was going to be 10x worse with Vaughn" (paraphrasing, not quoting) and proceeded to list off a bunch of even worse ideas that were scrapped from the actual shooting script after Vaughn left.
It's easy to talk s*** about the guy who left. But to me, the evidence is in the work. From where I'm standing, Vaughn writes/directs good movies. Penn writes crap (I don't count X2, since he didn't do the screenplay). The only decent project Kinberg's been involved with just happened to be co-written by 4 other people. Vaughn got involved with The Last Stand much later than those guys and left a short amount of time after that, yet it was all his doing? They "saved" it from Vaughn's even bigger disaster? I don't think so. Of course Penn would try to pass the buck, what else is he gonna do?

Vaughn made what is, imo, the best film of the franchise, so his involvement would only be a positive thing as far as I'm concerned.

__________________
4.19.14
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110

Last edited by flickchick85; 11-04-2011 at 09:26 PM.
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #55
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hooked on a feeling.
Posts: 22,928
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
I'm actually not a fan of any of Vaughn's screenwritten/directed movies except First Class (that's right folks, I'm an anomaly who hated KickAss and Stardust).
You're not alone, I hated KickAss too.

As far as the Kinberg news...I'm not climbing out on the ledge just yet. X3 was a mess for so many reasons that you can't just pin it on him, so I'm willing to wait it out and see what happens.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:26 AM   #56
Zant
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 398
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Its nice to see not everyone is overreacting to this news.

Zant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:38 AM   #57
merbass
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 696
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Also don't forget that Kinberg wrote the first draft to XFC, before Singer / Vaughn came on board.

With the completion of Jack and the Giant Killer, perhaps Singer could direct the sequel and make it as good or even better than X-men United !

merbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #58
Thebumwhowalks
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,377
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Didn't Matthew V say he was going to be directing a Mark Miller comic-book next? I'm sure there was a story on the front page a few weeks ago where he said that.
I really hope he does the sequel to XMFC, but perhaps he is not the type of diretcor who likes to do sequels to his own movies, given he didn't pursue a KA sequel(which I think could have been done if he wanted it to happen, rumours are that they are still trying to get that organised under another director).

As for the screenplay...what has probably happened is that they just want to get the ball rolling rightaway, and Simon Kinberg was the guy who was connected to the project that could start work immediately. they just want something written up asap so whoever takes the director's chair will at the very least they have a foundation to work from before they bring in more writers, or have their own input.

edit: Given the fact he has been talking about directing another movie, and that it has not even started pre-production, I don't think there is much chance of MV returning to direct. By the time XMFC2 has to startpre-p, MV will still be directing the MM adaptation he was talking about.
and if he was up for XMFC2 being his next flick, he would have agreed to it already, and he and Jane Goldman would be the ones being announced as working on the script.
So, what has happened, is MV has not commited to directing XMFC2, so one of the producers who has some X-Men screenplay experience has been elected to get things rolling.

I don't think it should be underestimated how much of Jane Goldman's work benefitted the final film, her husband Jonathan Ross being a comic book nut/expert, she will probably know her stuff too.
Hopefully she and MV will get their hands on the screenplay for another pass at it, this will happen if MV directs, but if he does not, what will happen is we will get a film written by a comittee of regular screenplay bozos who are not versed in the books so much, so the script may not be as good.

edit: and as for the rumours of MV having some wonky ideas for XMTLS, eh, i can believe that, y'know, folk sit around in a room and brainstorm with ideas, if someone is not too versed in the books, they could come up with some funny ideas for the mutants to be doing this that and the next thing with their powers, and i don't recall ever reading about MV being a comic book guy.
He also cast Vinnie Jones as juggernaught, which was a crap idea, they are mates in real life, and the guy just can't act, it was a bit of a joke casting.
He can direct a great movie, for sure, but he has had at least one genuinely crap idea that contributed to XMTLS being a poor X-Men film.
But, y'know, given the circumstances of the Last Stand's production, we are lucky it was as good as it was.


Last edited by Thebumwhowalks; 11-05-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Thebumwhowalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #59
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 43,042
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

I'm out if Kinberg is writing and Vaughn isn't directing.

chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #60
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney
 
RachelDawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In a courtroom or tied up in a warehouse
Posts: 8,725
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbass View Post
Also don't forget that Kinberg wrote the first draft to XFC, before Singer / Vaughn came on board.

With the completion of Jack and the Giant Killer, perhaps Singer could direct the sequel and make it as good or even better than X-men United !


I didn't like Singer's movies very much and find him rather bland as a director. If Vaughn doesn't return I'm going to lose much of my interest in this film. I've seen interviews where Vaughn has speculated about what he'd do in a sequel, though, so I don't think he's opposed to coming back.

__________________
RIP Heath Ledger, the Best Joker Ever.
RachelDawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #61
magneto23
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 378
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

There just giving Kinberg the task of getting started. I would bet anything that the main storyline of a sequel was/has already been formed (at least in vague detail) by Vaughn/Singer & co. And Kinberg will be basing this FIRST script on THEIR ideas/plans. When the time comes the right people will come in and make the necessary additions/subtractions to Kinberg's work. No big deal. IF Singer/Vaughn are back, and I'm sure they will be, than there will be no worries.

magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:12 PM   #62
blueserenity
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wild wild west
Posts: 483
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebumwhowalks View Post
As for the screenplay...what has probably happened is that they just want to get the ball rolling rightaway, and Simon Kinberg was the guy who was connected to the project that could start work immediately. they just want something written up asap so whoever takes the director's chair will at the very least they have a foundation to work from before they bring in more writers, or have their own input.

edit: Given the fact he has been talking about directing another movie, and that it has not even started pre-production, I don't think there is much chance of MV returning to direct. By the time XMFC2 has to startpre-p, MV will still be directing the MM adaptation he was talking about.
and if he was up for XMFC2 being his next flick, he would have agreed to it already, and he and Jane Goldman would be the ones being announced as working on the script.
So, what has happened, is MV has not commited to directing XMFC2, so one of the producers who has some X-Men screenplay experience has been elected to get things rolling.

MV has said before that he's eager to do a 2nd movie and LSD has also stated that getting MV back is a "top priority". The fact that neither party has commented on it yet isn't a total worrisome factor for me yet, considering that none of the actors who are UNDER CONTRACT have mentioned the sequel. We have no idea whatsoever when pre-prod for this movie would begin. We have no idea if it will be a lengthy thing or a crammed thing like XMFC. We can assume that like the previous 5 films it will be a summer flick, that it won't be in 2012, and that it's highly unlikely it will be in 2013 either (FOX is gonna stretch out the X-Men franchise as much as possible so they can keep the rights, they'd be dumb to release Wolverine and XMFC2 in the same year). So I'm thinking this will be a 2014 release. Even if the whole thing takes 15 months to make, they wouldn't really have to really start until early spring 2013. That's almost year and a half away. Plenty of time for Vaughn and the cast to finish up other projects and coordinate their schedules.

The only reason I can see MV *NOT* coming back is salary negotiations go sour. Hopefully FOX won't cheap out and he won't demand too much and it'll all be great.

Also I'm hoping that FOX will note people are freaking out about Kinberg and want reassurance so they will be inspired to see a sequel. Just as X3 and Wolverine were detrimental to XMFC's box office health, word getting around that the writer who worked on X3 is doing XMFC2 is equally upsetting. XMFC was by far the best movie I saw in 2011, and even I would be extremely reluctant to see a sequel, written by this guy, that wasn't helmed by Vaughn.

But then FOX doesn't seem to give two *****s about quality. The stuff they put out that does get critical acclaim seems to happen almost as if by accident. :/

Quote:
I didn't like Singer's movies very much and find him rather bland as a director. If Vaughn doesn't return I'm going to lose much of my interest in this film. I've seen interviews where Vaughn has speculated about what he'd do in a sequel, though, so I don't think he's opposed to coming back.
Indeed! And both James McAvoy and Jason Flemyng have mentioned discussing the sequel with him and offering ideas and stuff. I really can't see MV bailing out of disinterest in the series. Especially considering the massive ego stroke he's getting from what praise this film has.

He didn't want to do KickAss 2 because he couldn't think of a good story or direction to take it in. Obviously he has a lot on his mind for XMFC2.


Last edited by blueserenity; 11-05-2011 at 05:16 PM.
blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #63
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 592
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

One thing I didn't like with MV directing XM:FC was his overly obvious love of James Bond. It actually worked well for the most part, all things considered, but I didn't go to see Bond--I went to see Xmen. The worst of that was the women--they might as well called Emma Frost "Pussy Galore." I really want well-rounded female characters in the next movie who can solve problems without having to resort to removing their clothes.

A little Bond is fine, but let's move back to Xmen now.

Nerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #64
blueserenity
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wild wild west
Posts: 483
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
One thing I didn't like with MV directing XM:FC was his overly obvious love of James Bond. It actually worked well for the most part, all things considered, but I didn't go to see Bond--I went to see Xmen. The worst of that was the women--they might as well called Emma Frost "Pussy Galore." I really want well-rounded female characters in the next movie who can solve problems without having to resort to removing their clothes.

A little Bond is fine, but let's move back to Xmen now.
I disagree actually. Well not about the women part, we could definitely use some more rounded females and I'm not talking about the curves.

However I felt the Bond stuff was pretty limited and would have loved to have seen more of it. Seriously I could watch an entire prequel to this prequel called Erik Lehnsherr: Nazi Hunter. The Argentinian Bar scene remains one of my absolute favorites in the movie.

The different feel of the film though, the more period-piece-meets-JB-meets-mutants, has pretty much ruined the other movies for me. X1 especially (cuz I'm in perpetual denial about X3 and Wolverine, they simply do not exist to me) feels so vapid and straightforward: "Here are some people with powers, sci-fi-fantasy FLASH go!!". I loved that the 60s style meant they could totally get away with Bond stuff. I can't see too much more of it in future films but I love what we got.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #65
merbass
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 696
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post


I didn't like Singer's movies very much and find him rather bland as a director. If Vaughn doesn't return I'm going to lose much of my interest in this film. I've seen interviews where Vaughn has speculated about what he'd do in a sequel, though, so I don't think he's opposed to coming back.
So you didn't like X-men. X-men United ?

merbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #66
chaseter
Bland User
 
chaseter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 43,042
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
One thing I didn't like with MV directing XM:FC was his overly obvious love of James Bond. It actually worked well for the most part, all things considered, but I didn't go to see Bond--I went to see Xmen. The worst of that was the women--they might as well called Emma Frost "Pussy Galore." I really want well-rounded female characters in the next movie who can solve problems without having to resort to removing their clothes.

A little Bond is fine, but let's move back to Xmen now.
Uhhh have you seen a comic with Emma Frost in it? It was a movie based in the 60s...women were thought of as lesser and objectified. One was a stripper who didn't take her clothes off at all, one was a human who did it once, one was naked in the first 3 movies, and the last woman is a sexpot in the comics. I don't see your point other than Moira doing it once at the casino.

chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #67
Thebumwhowalks
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,377
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post



Indeed! And both James McAvoy and Jason Flemyng have mentioned discussing the sequel with him and offering ideas and stuff. I really can't see MV bailing out of disinterest in the series. Especially considering the massive ego stroke he's getting from what praise this film has.

He didn't want to do KickAss 2 because he couldn't think of a good story or direction to take it in. Obviously he has a lot on his mind for XMFC2.
eh, I'm pretty sure he was saying similar thing sabout doing a KA sequel too, and what is this you are saying about him not doing it because he couldn't think of a good story for a sequel? did he actually say that? Because that does not make sense given the nature of the second series of comics, did he actually say he didn't like Mark millar's plotlines for KA2?
Because i think the reality is that he didn't do the sequel either because KA didn't make as much money as he thought it would...or he wanted to make a completely different movie..and/or he wanted to move up into the big leagues with a big budget sh/cb adaptation.

I'm glad that there seems to be time for him to do a different movie, and then do another XM flick, and that he has been talking about doing another XM film, but I can still imagine him not doing it, after all, Singer went straight from one XM film to the next, and if his enthusiasm was as up there as Singer's, he would be hankering to move onto it next.
He seems like the kind of filmaker who wants to move onto other things, make completely different movies from his previous ones, that's just my gut feeling, I will be very (pleasantly)surprised if he does another XM film.

Quote:
However I felt the Bond stuff was pretty limited and would have loved to have seen more of it. Seriously I could watch an entire prequel to this prequel called Erik Lehnsherr: Nazi Hunter. The Argentinian Bar scene remains one of my absolute favorites in the movie.

The different feel of the film though, the more period-piece-meets-JB-meets-mutants, has pretty much ruined the other movies for me. X1 especially (cuz I'm in perpetual denial about X3 and Wolverine, they simply do not exist to me) feels so vapid and straightforward: "Here are some people with powers, sci-fi-fantasy FLASH go!!". I loved that the 60s style meant they could totally get away with Bond stuff. I can't see too much more of it in future films but I love what we got.
and in reagrds to this statement... as well as you agreeing in the previous post that singer's directing was 'bland'....let's not get carried away here, this latest X-Men film was not that great a departure from the Singer films in style and tone, about the only thing that it had over them was the fact they could do more things with the modern sfx.

They are pretty standard sh/xm stories, albiet high quality in the telling, and in actual fact, XM:Fc is telling a bit of a redundant story for the most part, as we already know this character stuff from it being told and referenced in the Singer X-Men films.

Singer's directing was far from bland, what he did was nothing short of bringing the superhero movie to a new level of realism.
Look at the end of X2 when they are mourning Jean in the jet, they are dressed in crazy leather outfits, one guy has a laser visor on, the other has a nutty feral hairdo, a guy in the background has a blue face and a tail...and yet, the acting and emotional reality is as completely real and natural to us as any serious adult arthouse drama.
No mean feat, and i think that since Singer was the first of the new wave of sh films, it is a little easy to take all of that work for granted.
XMFC fans now dismissing the groundwork of the Singer films, as if FC is doing something completely new, is like the punks in the late 70s dissing the Beatles as if the punks were doing something totally new, when in actual fact, the Beatles were dressed in tight black leather, playing fast short rock n roll songs and popping amphetamines onstage back in the 50s in their Hamburg days.

and as for the period piece detail of XM:FC, eh, apart from the cuban missile crisis, the whole film could pretty much havbe taken place in a modern day setting, apart from some little stylistic touches. I saw someone on another message board point this out, and after watching the dvd in the sober light of day, I had to agree.

I think FC is on a par with the Singer films, the one thing it does have over them(apart from modern improved sfx) is the fact it's third and final act is stronger, although it does not have a strong dramatic character scene as impressive as the one I cited back there.


Last edited by Thebumwhowalks; 11-05-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Thebumwhowalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #68
Electrix
Side-Kick
 
Electrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,569
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

X-Men: First Class writer Zack Stentz just tweeted:

Quote:
Hey, fans. If you liked X-Men: First Class, then thank Simon Kinberg because he's one of the main people responsible for how good it was...

He's smart, kind, and talented as hell. The sequel is in good hands with him.

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #69
Avenger
Earth's Mightiest Fanboy
 
Avenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 669
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

I still think most of The Last Stand's failings, from a writing standpoint, were because of Zak Penn. Now that guy is just terrible.

Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #70
merbass
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 696
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

It would be cool to see Mystique imitating Marilyn, and got the actual one murdered.

merbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #71
blueserenity
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wild wild west
Posts: 483
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebumwhowalks View Post
eh, I'm pretty sure he was saying similar thing sabout doing a KA sequel too, and what is this you are saying about him not doing it because he couldn't think of a good story for a sequel? did he actually say that? Because that does not make sense given the nature of the second series of comics, did he actually say he didn't like Mark millar's plotlines for KA2?
Because i think the reality is that he didn't do the sequel either because KA didn't make as much money as he thought it would...or he wanted to make a completely different movie..and/or he wanted to move up into the big leagues with a big budget sh/cb adaptation.

I'm glad that there seems to be time for him to do a different movie, and then do another XM flick, and that he has been talking about doing another XM film, but I can still imagine him not doing it, after all, Singer went straight from one XM film to the next, and if his enthusiasm was as up there as Singer's, he would be hankering to move onto it next.
He seems like the kind of filmaker who wants to move onto other things, make completely different movies from his previous ones, that's just my gut feeling, I will be very (pleasantly)surprised if he does another XM film.



and in reagrds to this statement... as well as you agreeing in the previous post that singer's directing was 'bland'....let's not get carried away here, this latest X-Men film was not that great a departure from the Singer films in style and tone, about the only thing that it had over them was the fact they could do more things with the modern sfx.

They are pretty standard sh/xm stories, albiet high quality in the telling, and in actual fact, XM:Fc is telling a bit of a redundant story for the most part, as we already know this character stuff from it being told and referenced in the Singer X-Men films.

Singer's directing was far from bland, what he did was nothing short of bringing the superhero movie to a new level of realism.
Look at the end of X2 when they are mourning Jean in the jet, they are dressed in crazy leather outfits, one guy has a laser visor on, the other has a nutty feral hairdo, a guy in the background has a blue face and a tail...and yet, the acting and emotional reality is as completely real and natural to us as any serious adult arthouse drama.
No mean feat, and i think that since Singer was the first of the new wave of sh films, it is a little easy to take all of that work for granted.
XMFC fans now dismissing the groundwork of the Singer films, as if FC is doing something completely new, is like the punks in the late 70s dissing the Beatles as if the punks were doing something totally new, when in actual fact, the Beatles were dressed in tight black leather, playing fast short rock n roll songs and popping amphetamines onstage back in the 50s in their Hamburg days.

and as for the period piece detail of XM:FC, eh, apart from the cuban missile crisis, the whole film could pretty much havbe taken place in a modern day setting, apart from some little stylistic touches. I saw someone on another message board point this out, and after watching the dvd in the sober light of day, I had to agree.

I think FC is on a par with the Singer films, the one thing it does have over them(apart from modern improved sfx) is the fact it's third and final act is stronger, although it does not have a strong dramatic character scene as impressive as the one I cited back there.
I still find Singer to be pretty bland as a director. X2 was great, yes, but X-Men and Superman Returns were not. One of the biggest problems of his hero flicks is the way he handles character development. I feel like the characters are pretty 2-dimensional, not offering a whole lot of depth or, more importantly, inspiration to want to learn more about said characters.
They simply lack (pardon the pun) magnetism. Heck, thanks to X1-X3 I was actually BORED by Xavier and Magneto because they were so straight-forward. Bryan often feels like he goes into his hero flicks with the full expectation that the fans of the original source will fill in the character history blanks for him and thus he can focus more on action.

XMFC changed that, suddenly making charles and Erik interesting and allowing the film to focus on the characters to move the plot rather than the plot dragging the characters along. It's why it's so much better than the other films and why (unfortunately) going back to even X2 can be a little bit of a disappointing experience in comparison.

And this isn't the right board for it but Superman Returns was lousy. It felt much more character-driven than X2 but I felt like the character motivations and emotions were too obvious and drawn out, as if he was appealing to an audience of children or one that had never seen a dramatic film before. :/

As for MV and Kickass 2, I'm too lazy to GoogleNews the quote but he's said that he isn't interested in doing a sequel because he couldn't come up with something to surpass the original and his goal is always to make sequels>originals. I've never read the comic but it's possible the storylines it offers don't fit with the film he's created.
Same as with X-Men, the movies are their own universe which is why I still can't believe that butthurt fanboys are whining about the "real" First Class X-Men. The movies lack a sci-fi element that the comics have for example, which is why some storylines, however great, will never show up on film (until it gets rebooted in a couple of decades). It's probably the same kind of thing as KickAss.

I'm going to continue believing that Vaughn is directing XMFC2 until we get an announcement saying otherwise. They're probably not even at the negotiating scheduling stuff at this point. Heck I'd be impressed if Kinberg has more than a few pages of the first draft typed up. It's early to be worrying about directors.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:52 AM   #72
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,892
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Well, considering that Kinberg produced First Class and did a lot of uncredited on-set scripting, then there's not really reason to freak out just yet.

Admittedly, I'd feel better if I knew Singer had some involvement in story and character choices because these are films set within his world and I like his thinking.

The other problem is trying to appease fans, who don't have any unified idea of what they want. Some want a total reboot with the original five, some want the original five to be brought into the sequel regardless of continuity problems (Angel and Iceman would definitely be too young to appear in the 60s), some want the First Class line-up plus one or two newcomers (like Polaris), some want Cyclops and Jean to be added, some want those two plus Storm, some want other things.

The bottom line is: Whatever is done will be 'wrong' to some people.

And even if the rights ever went back to Marvel, we might get more comic accuracy but no guarantee of better movies. Thor and Captain America were decent enough but don't have me running to my Blu-ray player to rewatch them; they just don't have the soul and sophistication of First Class.

In fact, all the good stuff in First Class doesn't come from the comics at all: The Cold War/Cuban Missile Crisis setting, Mystique's friendship with Xavier, Shaw's connection to Auschwitz and Magneto, the way Beast's mutation advanced with a Mystique-derived serum, the way Xavier was crippled. Listen up people, NONE OF THAT IS FROM THE COMICS! And yet all of it was quite brilliant.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with for the next film.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, CA:TWS 7/10, GoTG 7.5/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #73
Electrix
Side-Kick
 
Electrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,569
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Admittedly, I'd feel better if I knew Singer had some involvement in story and character choices because these are films set within his world and I like his thinking.
I can't see how Singer wouldn't be involved as a producer. I get the feeling Kinberg is writing the script with input from Singer/Vaughn and Lauren Shuler Donner, the same way J.J Abrams oversaw the Star Trek 2 script without actually signing on as director. Once they've got a story they can get Vaughn/Goldman back to develop it into a shooting script.

We've got another 2-3 years before we see the sequel, so there's no rush.

Electrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:53 AM   #74
Thebumwhowalks
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,377
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
I still find Singer to be pretty bland as a director. X2 was great, yes, but X-Men and Superman Returns were not. One of the biggest problems of his hero flicks is the way he handles character development. I feel like the characters are pretty 2-dimensional, not offering a whole lot of depth or, more importantly, inspiration to want to learn more about said characters.
They simply lack (pardon the pun) magnetism. Heck, thanks to X1-X3 I was actually BORED by Xavier and Magneto because they were so straight-forward. Bryan often feels like he goes into his hero flicks with the full expectation that the fans of the original source will fill in the character history blanks for him and thus he can focus more on action.

XMFC changed that, suddenly making charles and Erik interesting and allowing the film to focus on the characters to move the plot rather than the plot dragging the characters along. It's why it's so much better than the other films and why (unfortunately) going back to even X2 can be a little bit of a disappointing experience in comparison.

Let's stick to talking about Singer's two X-Men films, which is what we were talking about originally, not X3(which he had nothing to do with) or Superman Returns.
Funnily enough, it was due to Singer's handling of Magneto that made the studio think there would be demand for a Magneto solo film, as he was such a popular character, the plan for which morphed into the FC story.

Aye, Xavier was not as interesting in the Singer films, but I'd say that was obviously because he was stuck in a wheelchair, and not able to be on the frontlines. I have already complained on the boards about the fact he was put into the chair already.
Also, much like the way Magento was a bit more interesting in FC, it was because it was their origin stories, the movie foillowing them as they found out who they were.

But the Singer movies had just as interesting arcs with Wolverine and Rogue, as well as Magneto still being a damn compelling character.

They are not Xavier/Magneto films, which is the way you are talking about them, they are X-Men films, and I would say that the regular X-Men were pretty bland in FC, they had no real interesting character traits really, apart from Hank, and Mystique(whose character arc originated from the Singer verse).
Havok was just some jock....Banshee was just some giggler...Darwin was hardly there before he got bumped off...Angel was...nowhere as interesting as Pyro.

Whereas in the Singer films we not only had pretty good Xavier and Magneto stuff, but we had the love triangle between Logan, Jean and Scott, Logan's search for his past, Rogue and Iceman's relationship...and if you really want to compare and contrast...what about Pyro's switch over to the brotherhood in comparison to Angel's? C'mon, that was handled with such deft characterisation.. the arguments and misuse of powers, his manipulation by Magneto, and the classic scene where he stares with jealousy at the happy family pics in Bobby's house.
there was something far deeper shown onscreen with that characterisation.


Quote:


As for MV and Kickass 2, I'm too lazy to GoogleNews the quote but he's said that he isn't interested in doing a sequel because he couldn't come up with something to surpass the original and his goal is always to make sequels>originals. I've never read the comic but it's possible the storylines it offers don't fit with the film he's created.
Exactly, and if he feels he can't surpass XM:FC, he won't do it, it will be a hard one to surpass, as the fall of Magneto was so compelling, as well as the friendship between him and Xavier breaking down.


Last edited by Thebumwhowalks; 11-06-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Thebumwhowalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #75
Drz
Real Hero
 
Drz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,897
Default Re: Simon Kinberg Penning First Class Sequel

I'm just happy the movie is getting a sequel. If Matthew Vaughn returns to the director's seat he can just get the script rewritten, so i'm just happy that the sequel is real. =)

__________________
"I'm not always hooked on a feeling but when i am, i'm high on believing!"
Thoughts & Rambles
Drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.