The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > RPG Archives

Old 11-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #26
sumowrestler
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "World's Finest" DC RPG

John notices that his fellow Lantern showed up along with a couple of other figures that he knows. He then follows Guy to the little pow wow with Superman and Batman.

"He isn't the only Lantern here, Superman. I was the one who called in Garnder after noticing something strange going on here. My ring couldn't give me anything substantial besides the obvious mess we see here. It surprises me that we've yet to see the Flash here but we probably need to give him a second to catch the news and then he'll be here. Since containment doesn't seem to be much of the issue outside of city limits, then I do agree with old Bats that we need to find the root of the problem because we can be all day taking care of the symptoms. However, we don't want this city flatten by its own citizens or anyone getting majorly injured. If Batman doesn't mind, I will go with him to the water treatment and see if it is that or something else."

sumowrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #27
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

"Everyone get inside," I say to the Nebraska farmer and his wife and two daughters, motioning for them to take cover inside their tornado shelter. "This may get a little rough; I'll let you know when it's safe to come out."

As they climb down into the small shelter dug into the ground and close the hatch behind them, I move away from the farmhouse and cautiously make my approach towards the grain silos a few hundred yards away.

A day ago, I had heard their story in a local news report that had made its way to me. According to the report, this town was suffering an inexplicable famine, not due to drought or disease or failing crops, but because their food was actually disappearing, as if someone or something was just taking it from them in the night. The farmer's younger daughter reported seeing some kind of creature in their cellar, but no one believed her. It was childish nonsense, thinking that there were food-stealing monsters lurking in their town.

I, of course, know better. Monsters are very real.

As I approach the silo, I catch a passing glance of a figure slinking behind one of the doors. I go to the door, slowly peering into the silo....

"SKRAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWK!"

A shrieking wail somewhere between an eagle's cry and a woman screaming fills the air, and I duck backwards to avoid the head that snaps at my throat. Stepping out from the shadows, a creature emerges, with long powerful legs ending in sharp hooked talons, massive beating wings, and a long craning neck, topped by what appears to be a human head, save for the glassy black eyes and mouth full of fangs.

Its cry is answered by two more, one from behind the silo and one from up above in the clouds.

"Just as I thought," I say as I sink into a fighting stance. "Harpies."

The first harpy shrieks and leaps towards me, bringing its feet forward to rend me with its talons. I roll to one side, leaving the loop of my Lasso where I was, then pulling it shut to snare the harpy's feet. I yank hard on the golden rope and the creature falls backwards, then finish it off with a kick to the head.

As soon as I've dispatched the first, the second comes charging from the other side of the silo, fangs bared. I bring up an arm to block, and as the harpy tries to bite down on my forearm, I hear a crunch as it breaks its own teeth on my bracelet. It pulls back, screaming in pain with a mouth full of blood, and I take advantage, spinning around to whip my fist into the side of its head and dropping it to the ground.

"That's two of them," I say, "Now where's--AH!"

I exclaim more in surprise than pain as the third harpy's talons scratch me across the back, the creature swooping down and catching my blind spot--careless, there, Diana. A harpy on the ground moves awkwardly and is defeated easily. A harpy in the air, however.....

I look up to see the creature climbing back up into the sky, hiding itself in the glare of the sun. The harpy then banks around to the left, circling towards me to dive in for another attack.

As it steepens its angle to commit to the dive, I spring my counterattack, leaping towards the silo, then pushing off of the side of it to launch myself towards the diving harpy in a somersault, my body upside-down when I reach the monster. I catch the harpy's head between my knees at the crest of my jump, torquing it off course so its wings can't correct its flight, then pull it back to the ground with me as I fall, landing on my knees and driving its face into the dirt from fifty feet up.

The monsters dispatched, I investigate the area, looking for any more harpies or their eggs. Satisfied that it's the last of them, I finally approach the farmer's storm shelter and knock on the door.

"It's done," I say. "You won't have to worry about your town losing food anymore."

"Thank you so much, Wonder Woman," the farmer gushes. "I don't know what we were gonna do."

"It's all right; this sort of thing is what I'm here for."

"Right, right. Um, oh! We were listenin' to the radio down here, seein' if there was any coverage of what was goin' on here, and, well.....all the news stations are reporting something big out in California."

"What kind of 'something big' are we talking about?" I say, an eyebrow raised.

"They're sayin' folks in San Diego are gettin' super-powers, all of them, all at once! The whole city's turnin' into Superman! I, uh, I thought you might want to know."

I frown at the news. The harpy infestation here in Nebraska isn't the only recent outbreak of monsters I've dealt with lately; there have been sightings and attacks coming in from all over the country. Someone or something is letting these creatures loose and setting them against the world of men. And I want to find out who's doing it and why before more people get hurt.

However, this situation in San Diego is something I can't ignore either. Millions of people, suddenly given incredible gifts and with no idea how to use them. Millions of potential new heroes....or villains. This could destabilize the world in countless ways.

"I'll look into it," I say, parting with the farmer and his family before heading to my jet.

Listening to news broadcasts along the way, I get a smattering of details-- people all across the city of San Diego were suddenly displaying superhuman abilities, speed, strength, flight. Fellow members of the Justice League were already on the scene to deal with the potential crisis.

After a short flight, the invisible plane is over the city, and I see the results with my own eyes. People blurring through the streets at hundreds of miles per hour, men and women tumbling through the air recklessly, fires accidentally blazing from unexpected bursts of heat-vision......

It's only a matter of time before the whole city becomes complete anarchy.

I find Superman, Batman and two of the Green Lanterns congregating to discuss the issue. With that, I touch down in the jet on a nearby rooftop and fly to the group.

"Gentlemen," I say, addressing them all at once. "I believe I can catch up on the details as we go along. For now, let me know what the plan is and what I can do."

Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #28
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Richards View Post
San Diego

"Kryptonian DNA detected."

"God, I hope that's Supergirl. Ok ring. Take me there."

Guy shoots across the skyline as windows shake and rattle in the buildings. An emerald display materializes in front of Guy's face. A green blip points him in the direction of one specific building. A burst of flame flares and dies as he sees a red cape and a black cape in the distance.

Oh snap! That grim sunnuva ***** is here too. Wonder if he's scared any children today.

A jade stop-sign appears before the Dark Knight.

"Hey Batty! You scare any children today?"
Batman used to think that Hal Jordan was a boorish blowhard. Until he met Guy Gardner, that is. Ignoring the Green Lantern's attempt at wit, Batman turns once more to face the new arrival, staring at him coldly while letting Superman do the talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumowrestler View Post
John notices that his fellow Lantern showed up along with a couple of other figures that he knows. He then follows Guy to the little pow wow with Superman and Batman.

"He isn't the only Lantern here, Superman. I was the one who called in Garnder after noticing something strange going on here. My ring couldn't give me anything substantial besides the obvious mess we see here. It surprises me that we've yet to see the Flash here but we probably need to give him a second to catch the news and then he'll be here. Since containment doesn't seem to be much of the issue outside of city limits, then I do agree with old Bats that we need to find the root of the problem because we can be all day taking care of the symptoms. However, we don't want this city flatten by its own citizens or anyone getting majorly injured. If Batman doesn't mind, I will go with him to the water treatment and see if it is that or something else."
"I don't mind. It's some 30 miles to the reservoir. I imagine I'll pass a lot of emergencies on my way, and help resolving them would be appreciated."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C. View Post
After a short flight, the invisible plane is over the city, and I see the results with my own eyes. People blurring through the streets at hundreds of miles per hour, men and women tumbling through the air recklessly, fires accidentally blazing from unexpected bursts of heat-vision......

It's only a matter of time before the whole city becomes complete anarchy.

I find Superman, Batman and two of the Green Lanterns congregating to discuss the issue. With that, I touch down in the jet on a nearby rooftop and fly to the group.

"Gentlemen," I say, addressing them all at once. "I believe I can catch up on the details as we go along. For now, let me know what the plan is and what I can do."
"John and I are going to the reservoir to take samples of the water supply, check for any contaminents that might be the cause of this outbreak. In the meantime, what we really need is all the help we can get in stopping these people from hurting themselves... or each other."

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #29
Franklin Richards
Banned User

"What Dracula is trying to say is, 'You're with me.' I suppose Nietzsche over there can tag along. Just don't get under foot. Kapische?"

Guy floats over next to Wonder Woman. A green satellite springs forth from his ring and shoots some two hundred feet into the air. Still within eyesight. A green monitor appears in front of the two.

"Let's get a bird's eye view."

Guy leans in towards Wonder Woman.

"So Dubya... you seeing anyone? I mean... Biblical like?"

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #30
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
Guy floats over next to Wonder Woman. A green satellite springs forth from his ring and shoots some two hundred feet into the air. Still within eyesight. A green monitor appears in front of the two.

Superman shook his head and turned to Batman and John Stewart.

"Best of luck. Contact me if you find anything."

Turning around, he shot off into the sky to search for more rogue metahumans loose in the city.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #31
SenseiofCheese
has been expecting you.

NIGHTWING

I've been sitting in the Cave for the last two hours, staring at a monitor. My mask is sitting on the edge of the keyboard, and my uniform has long-since been replaced by a white t-shirt and sweatpants.

Pictures of tonight's scene at the docks are scattered across the monitor, some magnified in hopes a closer look would reveal something new, some tidbit of information that could get me closer to finding out who slaughtered 7 heavily armed thugs like it was nothing.

Still no luck.

"You've been staring at those godawful photographs all night, Master Richard." Alfred puts a hand on my shoulder as he places a cup of coffee on the desk in front of me. "Might I suggest taking a break?"

"It's alright, Alfred."
I give him a reassuring smile as I take a sip of the coffee. Alfred always did make the best cup of coffee in Gotham. "After a while you manage to see past the horror of it all. Each photograph becomes a piece of the puzzle.." I hang my head and let out a deep sigh. "...a puzzle I still have no idea how to solve."

"There is not a doubt in my mind you will find whoever is responsible, Master Richard."
the sheer amount of certainty in Al's voice does more for my system than the caffeine. "What have you got so far, if I may?"

My back straightens and I feel a renewed sense of purpose surge through me. "Seven victims, all of them part of the drug smuggling party I had planned on crashing. Causes of death range from slit throats to disemboweling. I didn't notice a murder weapon at the scene and there's nothing in any of the photos."

"What about Victor Zsasz?"

"I doubt it. If this was his handiwork, he'd want us to know. Besides, I doubt Zsasz could take on seven guys twice his size, all armed to the teeth." I shake my head and rub my face, thankful for another set of eyes going over the photos.

"They all look so....terrified. Have you ruled out Jonathan Crane?"

"I thought the same thing, but he's still locked up in Arkham."
I pull up Crane's file, the words 'Incarcerated' plastered over his face. "I called Bruce to be sure."

"And how is Master Bruce's trip to San Diego?"

"It's gotten pretty bad, but the League is on it." for a moment I smile, because Bruce told me Guy Gardner was with them. The thought of those two in the same city was almost enough to make me thankful for this case.

With a keystroke I bring up a photograph of one of the victims, his face frozen in horror and the lower half of his body a few feet from his torso. Alfred is visibly upset at the image, but I know he can handle it.

"As far as I can see, this guy was literally torn in half."

"Suggesting a meta-human assailant."

"Exactly. Seeing as none of Gotham's supers are out and about, I dove into the League's files. I put together a list of all the superhuman villains that are capable of this..." another keystroke brings up a list of names feared across the world. All of them have been crossed out. "...but even if any of them were in Gotham, none of them have motive."

"That you know of."
Alfred corrects me. "A war of the villains, perhaps? Have you discovered the owner of the cargo?"

"Not even close. I was going to question one of the thugs but....well, they weren't very talkative when I got there."

"What about the lone survivor?"

"I listened in on the GCPD frequency on my way back. It took four of them to subdue the guy, and they ended up sending him to Gotham Mercy's psych ward." my eyes drop out of focus as I remember the sheer, unfiltered terror in the man's eyes. "Since then he's just been staring at the wall, completely unresponsive."

"Whatever he saw, it must have made quite the impression. Will you be paying him a visit?"

"Couldn't hurt. Besides, these photos are getting me nowhere."
I push my chair away from the desk and stand up for the first time in two hours. There's a dull ache in my lower back as I pull off my t-shirt and grab my uniform. "Wish me luck."

---

"Bruce, I'm chasing down my last lead in the Dock-Murders case. I've gone through every possible scenario and....I think we're dealing with something new, here." I speak into the communicator, looking across the cityscape at Gotham Mercy Hospital. "I know you're busy with the League in San Diego, but my photos from the scene have been uploaded to the Computer. Take a look and get back to me when you have the time."

SenseiofCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #32
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

I park the car on the outskirts of San Diego and turn to Maxine, "Sweetheart, get on the floor in the backseat and hide. Do not move until I get back, okay? No matter what."

"But Daddy I can help!" she pleads. And she's probably not wrong. But she's never been in a melee like this before. She's just a child, younger than any Robin ever has been, and I won't be the one to put her in harm's way. Not yet. Not when I'm supposed to be her guardian.

I roll down the windows a crack and close the door behind me, "Not today. Stay safe, Maxine. Remember what the totems said."

Focusing on the frigate bird, the fastest flying bird on earth, I take off and begin flying over the city. I quickly am taken aback by what I see. Frightened and confused people have obviously torn the city apart in the short time that they've been powered.

In mid air, I spot Superman, and quickly approach him, "Hey Big Blue! What's the plan here?"

Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #33
sumowrestler
Side-Kick

"Let me be of assistance considering you don't have the more usual skyskrapers to swing from, Batman. It is nice to see you here Wonder Woman and please don't hurt Guy too much even though he deserves it half of the time."

John creates a green disc and extends a hand out to Batman. As they travel through the city trying to keep eyes out for what has sadly become the usual for the people of this town, his mind keeps going back to the cause and who.

"Being the detective you are, do you have any idea who would be behind something like this? Who would benefit from such chaos? I can see some politicians using this against the Justice League and metahumans in general but can't see any of them doing this to their own people unless they are truly evil beyond their more usual corrupt ways. Probably the bigger question should be who can do this thing. There are possibly some alien scum the GLC has dealt with who can but motivation doesn't seem to be there. Only the ones like Luthor or even Grodd might have the resources but only way I see them doing it is if they figured out a way to control the population. Hopefully this is only temporary because if not, someone is going to have fun training a city full of new super powered people and you know the US Government will have a hay day with that. Now if we could figure out a way to distribute some sort of knock out gas safely, it should take care of most of the troubles with the exception of those who can hold their breath or no need to breath. That may sound a bit abhore to someone like us but sometimes we have to think outside the box to get the job done."

Old 11-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #34
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage27 View Post

Focusing on the frigate bird, the fastest flying bird on earth, I take off and begin flying over the city. I quickly am taken aback by what I see. Frightened and confused people have obviously torn the city apart in the short time that they've been powered.

In mid air, I spot Superman, and quickly approach him, "Hey Big Blue! What's the plan here?"
"Animal Man," Superman said with a nod. "Figured I'd cross paths with you eventually. Batman and one of the Green Lanterns are currently trying to figure out whatever it is that caused whatever this is. We're on damage control."

Suddenly, a sound hit his ears. High-pitched and above normal hearing range of a human. A silent alarm.

"Someone's robbing something. Let's check it out."

Superman led the way a few blocks over to a bank four blocks away. The doors were ripped open and the bank's vault was lying on the street.

"This can't be good."

Just then a gigantic man in tattered clothing stepped out of the bank, bags of cash in his arms. The man roared and dropped the cash to the ground before charging at the two superheroes.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #35
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
"Let me be of assistance considering you don't have the more usual skyskrapers to swing from, Batman. It is nice to see you here Wonder Woman and please don't hurt Guy too much even though he deserves it half of the time."

John creates a green disc and extends a hand out to Batman. As they travel through the city trying to keep eyes out for what has sadly become the usual for the people of this town, his mind keeps going back to the cause and who.

"Being the detective you are, do you have any idea who would be behind something like this? Who would benefit from such chaos? I can see some politicians using this against the Justice League and metahumans in general but can't see any of them doing this to their own people unless they are truly evil beyond their more usual corrupt ways. Probably the bigger question should be who can do this thing. There are possibly some alien scum the GLC has dealt with who can but motivation doesn't seem to be there. Only the ones like Luthor or even Grodd might have the resources but only way I see them doing it is if they figured out a way to control the population. Hopefully this is only temporary because if not, someone is going to have fun training a city full of new super powered people and you know the US Government will have a hay day with that. Now if we could figure out a way to distribute some sort of knock out gas safely, it should take care of most of the troubles with the exception of those who can hold their breath or no need to breath. That may sound a bit abhore to someone like us but sometimes we have to think outside the box to get the job done."
Of all Earth's Green Lanterns, John Stewart is always the one that Batman thought best suited to his job. His analytical, precise approach reminded him of himself.

"I've been trying to figure out who would benefit from this. The usual suspects like Luthor and Grodd certainly sprang to mind, but the lack of any obvious benefit makes me think that, if it is one of them, their motivations for doing this is to keep us occupied while they put their real plan into action. If that's the case, I hate to play along with it, but we don't have much choice."

The communicator in Batman's belt rang, prompting him to look down at who was calling. It was Dick, wanting help with a case. He'd reply as soon as he had a moment alone.

"Of course, the other possibility is that the threat is extra-terrestrial. When you remove human, Earth-bound interests from the equation, I believe there may be a few alien species who would view the thought of giving a city of humans superpowers as an interesting experiment. That would be your domain, though, and something you might want to investigate: have any extraterrestrial fugitives from scientifically-advanced civilisations been located in or near this space sector?"

Old 11-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #36
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
"This can't be good."

Just then a gigantic man in tattered clothing stepped out of the bank, bags of cash in his arms. The man roared and dropped the cash to the ground before charging at the two superheroes.
"Oh crap," is all I have time to blurt out before the super powered citizen is on me. I focus on the rhinoceros, making my skin hard as a rock and my legs strong as they can be. The brute still knocks me down and sends me tumbling, but at least it doesn't hurt.

He charges at me again, but this time I'm ready for him. As he closes in, I go low and drive my shoulder into his gut and push off the ground, using his own momentum to spring board him into the air towards Superman, who bats the offender into the concrete, knocking him unconscious.

"Well," I say to the blue-clad superhero, "kinda makes you glad we're usually the only ones with super powers, huh?"

Old 11-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #37
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
He charges at me again, but this time I'm ready for him. As he closes in, I go low and drive my shoulder into his gut and push off the ground, using his own momentum to spring board him into the air towards Superman, who bats the offender into the concrete, knocking him unconscious.

"Well," I say to the blue-clad superhero, "kinda makes you glad we're usually the only ones with super powers, huh?"
"Speaking of that, are you unaffected? What about your family?"

The Man of Steel held his hand up and stopped Animal Man before he even began.

"Hold that thought."

The two heroes watched as a pile of cash floated by them. Superman reached out and grabbed at the air. Suddenly, a naked man appeared in his grasp.

"Invisibility. What's next?"

Old 11-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #38
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

The Joker watches his men carry out their assigned tasks. Just then he hears the crowd inside laughing loud and long.

Ahhh music such sweet music.

His men return to the van and they all look at him. The Joker raises his finger while looking at his watch. The laughter is dying out and The Joker says, "Remember to wear your masks and go have fun while you can. ."

The men grab their gas masks and takeoff for the back of the club.

The Joker grabs a digital camera and heads towards the back of the club. He enters the building and sees hundreds of dead bodies.

He smiles and says, "Ahhh just perfect!"

The Joker then begins moving about taking pictures with several of the dead bodies.

He says to one of them, "Hope you're enjoying your trip on the Stairway to Heaven."

The Joker lets out a long laugh and says, "Oh it's good to feel like myself again!"

The Joker then says to his men, "Okay boys fun time is over for you. Time for you to join them.."

They look at one another for a moment and The Joker says very harshly, "You all were so concerned about the money that you failed to see the joke in all of this. This is not about money you fools! So neandertahlic in your thinking! IDIOTS! One and all! You fail to see the joke once there is no chance for redemption."

He in presses a button on a remote. The Gas Masks tighten up around their heads and the canisters at the end of the masks release Joker Venom.

The men fall over laughing and dying. The Joker says gathering the money and valuables from his men, "And she's buying the stairway to heaven..."

The Joker leaves the club and the van at the club. Once he is as safe distance he blows up the van which blows up the club.

He watches for a second as though he was studying a rare butterfly. The Joker then smiles and heads back to his hideout via back alleys and side streets.

John 3:16

Last edited by MST3K 4ever; 11-08-2011 at 03:11 PM.
MST3K 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #39
sumowrestler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Of all Earth's Green Lanterns, John Stewart is always the one that Batman thought best suited to his job. His analytical, precise approach reminded him of himself.

"I've been trying to figure out who would benefit from this. The usual suspects like Luthor and Grodd certainly sprang to mind, but the lack of any obvious benefit makes me think that, if it is one of them, their motivations for doing this is to keep us occupied while they put their real plan into action. If that's the case, I hate to play along with it, but we don't have much choice."

The communicator in Batman's belt rang, prompting him to look down at who was calling. It was Dick, wanting help with a case. He'd reply as soon as he had a moment alone.

"Of course, the other possibility is that the threat is extra-terrestrial. When you remove human, Earth-bound interests from the equation, I believe there may be a few alien species who would view the thought of giving a city of humans superpowers as an interesting experiment. That would be your domain, though, and something you might want to investigate: have any extraterrestrial fugitives from scientifically-advanced civilisations been located in or near this space sector?"
"I don't recall anything in particular of that nature but things been a bit busy to say the least on Oa. Some of what we would consider the usual suspects would be like Mongul, who the rat Sinestro took care of last we knew, then there is Cyborg Superman but that one was also dealt with recently but can't see his motivaiton, Brainiac would technically count but I think our boy in blue and red would have better idea then us, Despero and Staryu are both conqueoring types but creating more enhanced humans could be counter productive, and then ... oh gods no.

Utter fear flashes over John's face and he starts to lose his concentration with the disc starting to waver off course and crack. He then shakes his head and refocuses on the disc before it completely shatters.

"There is a race called the New Gods. One side is nice, kind, and friendly while the other is your worst nightmares at one hundred fold and that is them having a good day. There leader, Darkseid, makes every single villian we have here and even the ones I mention already look like your everyday street thug that you encounter in Gotham. He wants total domination and quite often has the mentality of survival of the fittest. I wouldn't put it past him to use this off beat mud hole as the Guardians and most of my fellow Lanterns view Earth, as some sort of testing grounds for who knows what and use whatever is left of the newly created super powered humans to rule this planet or others. As much as we despise the likes of Luthor or Grodd, someone like Darkseid might make us put our differences aside if that dark lord of Apokalypse decides to invade this little planet of ours and San Diego being just the tip of the ice berg."

Old 11-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #40
SenseiofCheese
has been expecting you.

NIGHTWING

If I had done my research, I would have known that due to....frequent, unauthorized visits, Gotham Mercy Hospital spent thousands of dollars upgrading its security systems. Nothing I couldn't handle, of course, but the fortified windows meant I made more noise than I wanted to when I slipped in.

"I think I heard somethin'." one of the two officers standing guard outside the hospital room quietly opens the door.

Taking a step inside, he carefully looks around. "Could've sworn.."

"You check the window?" the second officer's voice calls from the hallway.

The first officer, who I recognize as Officer Stevens, makes a beeline towards the window, examining the latches and locks. "Closed tight."

"Victim okay?"

"Still staring at the wall like a damn statue."
Stevens exclaims, waving his hand in front of the victim's blank, staring face to no response.

"C'mon, you just need more coffee."

Officer Stevens thoughtfully rubs his chin and, with a sigh, exits the room. Me? I'm just thankful he didn't look up.

The officers who responded to the massacre at the docks got a good look at me. Any one of them would have recognized me as Nightwing, but for some reason none of them mentioned me in their report. I guess Gordon isn't our only friend in the GCPD.

I silently drop down, touching the cold floor like a leaf. As I rise back up, the man in the bed doesn't even look at me. His name is Joseph 'Joe' Gregori. He's been in and out of jail for the past few years, with a rap sheet long as my arm. Joe here has quite the temper...or, at least he used to.

"I'm not here to hurt you." I step out of the shadow, and though he doesn't acknowledge me I can see him tense up.

"Tell me what happened at the docks, Joseph." I'm walk up to the side of his bed. "Who attacked you?"

Nothing. A single drop of sweat pours down the side of his face as he stares daggers into the wall. "I know you're scared, Joseph. But try and remember."

Still nothing. With a silent sigh, I turn and prepare to make my way back outside.

"L....Lu...Lllluu..."

His voice is barely a whisper but stops me dead in my tracks. I turn back around and lean in closer. "Lllurk..Lurks...Lurks in shadow...."

"What?"

"L..Lurks in shadow.
Hides in dark.
Simon. Simon. Simon Dark."

Old 11-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #41
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Quote:
"Speaking of that, are you unaffected? What about your family?"

The Man of Steel held his hand up and stopped Animal Man before he even began.

"Hold that thought."
The two heroes watched as a pile of cash floated by them. Superman reached out and grabbed at the air. Suddenly, a naked man appeared in his grasp.

"Invisibility. What's next?"
I shrug and realize I don't know what's going on with Ellen and Cliff. They weren't answering their phones on the drive back. I don't know if that's because they were busy, or if they were caught up in all of this.

But I'm roused from my thoughts as a familiar trumpet draws my attention down the street. I turn to find an elephant that has obviously escaped from the San Diego Zoo, as well as two tigers. The three animals are going wild, attacking the humans...and holding their own. Which means...

"Superman," I say drawing his attention to the wild animals, "It's not just the humans."

I keep my rhino strength and skin, but add the agility of a cheetah in as well, charging head first into the elephant, which does absolutely nothing. A human man with super strength is one thing. But an elephant is a whole new story. Normally I'd be horrified at trying to incapacitate an elephant, but at a time like this I don't have time to play activist.

The elephant scoops me up and tosses me into the air. I barely have time to catch myself in flight before falling back to the earth. But I get too low, and one of the tiger rams into me with super human speed, sending me shooting into a wall, crashing through.

I stand, brushing the debris off me right in time to grapple with the second lion. The two of us begin to wrestle, but I know he'll overpower me eventually.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #42
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Quote:
"What Dracula is trying to say is, 'You're with me.' I suppose Nietzsche over there can tag along. Just don't get under foot. Kapische?"

"There's a time and a place, Lantern," I say as his ring scans for crises around the city. With the scale of the outbreak as big as it is, it's not a question of whether there are any incidents that need our attention, but which ones need it first.

The first signal we pick up is a high-end electronics store being looted by multiple assailants. Reaching the scene, I find that all of the assailants are in fact multiple copies of the same man. Gardner boxes them in by creating a bubble over the store with his ring, then I duck and weave between the multiples and Lasso them together, until the robber agrees to collapse back into a single form.

"And for the record?" I say to Gardner as we make our way to the next crisis. "I would break you in half."

Farther down the block, people duck for cover as a crying baby spews gouts of fire from her mouth. I charge towards the terrified child, ducking away from the cone of flames that erupts as she cries, then gently scoop her up into my arms and rock her back and forth until she falls asleep. Her mother runs up to take her daughter back, and I give her a cold glare for running from her own child. I wish I had the time to properly admonish the woman, but we have to keep moving.

"This is madness," I say as I try to untangle an elderly woman who had grown elastic limbs and was now accidentally strangling a bus full of people. "I pray that Batman and your fellow Lantern get to the bottom of this; at this rate, even we will be overrun within the hour."

Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #43
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:

The elephant scoops me up and tosses me into the air. I barely have time to catch myself in flight before falling back to the earth. But I get too low, and one of the tiger rams into me with super human speed, sending me shooting into a wall, crashing through.

I stand, brushing the debris off me right in time to grapple with the second lion. The two of us begin to wrestle, but I know he'll overpower me eventually.
While Animal Man wrestles down the superpowered tiger, Superman busies himself with the wild elephant. He dodges the beast's trunk and delivers a powerful haymaker to the elephant's jaw. With a shrill blast from its trunk, the elephant collapses to the ground unconscious.

"Sorry about that," he said to the passed out elephant. "But it had to be done."

Suddenly, the tiger not engaged with Animal Man pounced on the Man of Steel, clawing at the Kryptonian armor with hardened claws. Superman gritted his teeth and slung the animal into the air.

"Buddy," he called out. "Is it possible you can tap into these animals now their metahuman abilities? Give yourself an edge?"

Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #44
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Quote:
"Buddy," he called out. "Is it possible you can tap into these animals now their metahuman abilities? Give yourself an edge?"
"It's worth a shot," I say through gritted teeth, focusing on the unconscious elephant on the ground. I instantly overpower the tiger, and manage to wrestle it to the ground, managing to choke it into submission. "Thanks for the advice. But that means who ever's done this has been able to penetrate as far as The Red, or that wouldn't have worked. Whoever did this is powerful."

Before Superman can respond, a blur comes to a stop in front of me. As my eyes adjust, I find Ellen and Cliff standing in front of me. I'm relieved to see them, but they're terrified.

"Buddy," Ellen says through tears, "this...this thing found us. It took other peoples bodies. It tried to...eat us. We only got away when Cliff found he had super speed."

A hunter. The third one that didn't infiltrate The Red with his brothers. It went after my family, and I wasn't there to protect them. That thought alone sends shivers up my spine, but I can't worry about that now.

"You two, get out of the city. I left Maxine in the car by the beach," I say taking out my phone and tossing it to Ellen. "Use my GPS locator to find it. Wait for me there."

Cliff grabs Ellen's hand and they speed off, and just in time. In a slobbering, hungry voice something calls out to me, "Hello falssse avatar. I'm hungry."

I turn to find the grotesque, shifting mass of intestines, muscle, and mouths that is the third of the Hunters Three. I crack my knuckles, and turn back to Superman, "Leave this to me. This is personal."

Old 11-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #45
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:

I turn to find the grotesque, shifting mass of intestines, muscle, and mouths that is the third of the Hunters Three. I crack my knuckles, and turn back to Superman, "Leave this to me. This is personal."
"Right," Superman said with a nod. "If you need help with whatever's going on, you know how to reach me."

With that, he jumped into the air and flew off to look for more people in need.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #46
Franklin Richards
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C. View Post

"There's a time and a place, Lantern," I say as his ring scans for crises around the city. With the scale of the outbreak as big as it is, it's not a question of whether there are any incidents that need our attention, but which ones need it first.

The first signal we pick up is a high-end electronics store being looted by multiple assailants. Reaching the scene, I find that all of the assailants are in fact multiple copies of the same man. Gardner boxes them in by creating a bubble over the store with his ring, then I duck and weave between the multiples and Lasso them together, until the robber agrees to collapse back into a single form.

"And for the record?" I say to Gardner as we make our way to the next crisis. "I would break you in half."

Farther down the block, people duck for cover as a crying baby spews gouts of fire from her mouth. I charge towards the terrified child, ducking away from the cone of flames that erupts as she cries, then gently scoop her up into my arms and rock her back and forth until she falls asleep. Her mother runs up to take her daughter back, and I give her a cold glare for running from her own child. I wish I had the time to properly admonish the woman, but we have to keep moving.

"This is madness," I say as I try to untangle an elderly woman who had grown elastic limbs and was now accidentally strangling a bus full of people. "I pray that Batman and your fellow Lantern get to the bottom of this; at this rate, even we will be overrun within the hour."

<CHOOM>

"Wait a second, Legs. I think..."

<CHOOM>

"What the Hell is that?"

<CHOOM> <CHOOM>

From around the corner of a Savings and Loan building, a giant loafer steps around. Inside of it is the foot of a one hundred foot man.

"Oh great. A giant Hipster."

Green energy bursts from Guy's ring and surrounds him. Guy is still visible from within but the form grows to gigantic proportions. A giant Japanese warrior faces the titanic citizen.

"You ever play with Shogun Warriors when you were small, Wonder Babe? I loved them!"

The Emerald Shogun grabs the Hipster's arm as he tries to strike out at the Savings and Loan.

"Nah uh uh! Nobody steps on a bank while I'm here!"

The Hipster grabs the Shogun's other arm and the two take a referee's stance. The two giants locked in a wrestling maneuver.

"If you've finished with the Elongated Grandma, I could use some.. <grunt> help!"

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #47
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
"I don't recall anything in particular of that nature but things been a bit busy to say the least on Oa. Some of what we would consider the usual suspects would be like Mongul, who the rat Sinestro took care of last we knew, then there is Cyborg Superman but that one was also dealt with recently but can't see his motivaiton, Brainiac would technically count but I think our boy in blue and red would have better idea then us, Despero and Staryu are both conqueoring types but creating more enhanced humans could be counter productive, and then ... oh gods no.

Utter fear flashes over John's face and he starts to lose his concentration with the disc starting to waver off course and crack. He then shakes his head and refocuses on the disc before it completely shatters.

"There is a race called the New Gods. One side is nice, kind, and friendly while the other is your worst nightmares at one hundred fold and that is them having a good day. There leader, Darkseid, makes every single villian we have here and even the ones I mention already look like your everyday street thug that you encounter in Gotham. He wants total domination and quite often has the mentality of survival of the fittest. I wouldn't put it past him to use this off beat mud hole as the Guardians and most of my fellow Lanterns view Earth, as some sort of testing grounds for who knows what and use whatever is left of the newly created super powered humans to rule this planet or others. As much as we despise the likes of Luthor or Grodd, someone like Darkseid might make us put our differences aside if that dark lord of Apokalypse decides to invade this little planet of ours and San Diego being just the tip of the ice berg."
"Yes, I'm well aware of the New Gods and Darkseid."

Darkseid had been the source of one of the darkest chapters of Batman's life. A fatal encounter with the evil god had sent Batman hurtling through time, where he nearly lost all sense of himself. One of his most dangerous ever foes, Dr. Hurt, was a creation of Darkseid. He hoped this situation had nothing to do with Apokalips.

"We're here."

El Capitan Reservoir. Batman and John Stewart landed, and immediately Batman pulled some equipment from a compartment in his belt for taking samples. After a few silent moments, Batman was able to take a reading from a sample of water.

"There are no immediate signs of contamination. I'll have to do more tests. In the meantime, I need you to head to San Vincente Reservoir and take some samples from there."

Old 11-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #48
Supergirl
The Maid of Might

Ugh. Even my pinkies are sore today. As my eyes adjust to the natural light streaming in, I glance at the clock beside my bed. 3:44. Dusk in under two hours. Thank goodness I don't have a day job yet. Also thankful that Dad paid my first two months rent here.

I wipe the sleep from my eyes and look around my room. Pretty spartan at the moment, the only two things that adorn my walls are my diploma from GSU, and my Spring Formal picture from High School with Dick. Sigh. I need to spruce this place up.

I open my bedroom door and step into the living room, to find my roommate covered in paint. "Well good morning, early bird."

I just grunt in response and head to the fridge to grab a Mountain Dew.

"So, GBG, what is it that you do?"

Been dreading this conversation.

"Uh, actually I'm kinda freelance at the moment. I've done some consulting for Gotham Central and Wayne Tech."

"So a techie huh?"

"Uh yeah. I have a way with computers."

Hopefully she doesn't snoop and see that my degree is in Psychology, that might make for some weird conversations as well. I head to the shared bathroom and let a hot shower relax me and soothe my aching muscles, as it's about time to get back to work. Though as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not 100% and won't be until I can get some help. Maybe I shouldn't be so ashamed. Bruce needed help during his rehab, why should I be any different?

I get dressed and head to the storage unit I rent. It's one of those bittersweet things about Gotham. You can get a space for cheap and without any sort of paperwork, but then so can guys like Freeze or Joker... But the price we pay so nobody knows this particular unit is rented by the commissioner's daughter. Inside I change into my uniform and get on my bike. It takes me about twenty minutes before I peel off onto a hidden dirt road and take a ramp through a waterfall. I screech to a stop in a place that is like a second home to me, the wondrous, beautiful Bat-Cave.

"Hello? Anybody home?"

Damn, no sign of anybody right now, not even Alfred.

...Are you gonna get it up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bruce
I'll try.
Supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #49
SenseiofCheese
has been expecting you.

Nightwing

Simon Dark.

Simon Dark.

Where do I know that name from?

Gregori's words are running through my head, again and again. Lurks in shadow, hides in dark, Simon, Simon, Simon Dark.

Hopefully some research on the BatComputer will refresh my memory.

5 minutes of swinging through Gotham, cold wind rushing through my hair, and I reach the small area just outside the city where I hid my bike. Another 5 minutes of driving and I reach the Manor.

On my way down to the Cave, I'm so lost in thought about this Simon Dark, I hear her before I see her.

"Hello? Anybody home?" her voice takes me completely by surprise.

"Babs! Hey." I smile and sheepishly rub the back of my head.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #50
Supergirl
The Maid of Might

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiofCheese View Post
Nightwing

Simon Dark.

Simon Dark.

Where do I know that name from?

Gregori's words are running through my head, again and again. Lurks in shadow, hides in dark, Simon, Simon, Simon Dark.

Hopefully some research on the BatComputer will refresh my memory.

5 minutes of swinging through Gotham, cold wind rushing through my hair, and I reach the small area just outside the city where I hid my bike. Another 5 minutes of driving and I reach the Manor.

On my way down to the Cave, I'm so lost in thought about this Simon Dark, I hear her before I see her.

"Hello? Anybody home?" her voice takes me completely by surprise.

"Babs! Hey." I smile and sheepishly rub the back of my head.
I hear a familiar voice descend the stairs. Definitely not the same as it was when I first met him five years ago, his voice was still cracking back then. And good god was he annoying then. I mean kid brother of your best friend who thinks it's funny to put your panties on their head, annoying.

"Richard! I expected to find Bruce here, not you!"

Oh lord. That sheepish look on his face. What is it about that look? Why can I not get over that look?

...Are you gonna get it up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bruce
I'll try.
Supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote