Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > RPG Archives

Old 11-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #51
sumowrestler
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "World's Finest" DC RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
"Yes, I'm well aware of the New Gods and Darkseid."

Darkseid had been the source of one of the darkest chapters of Batman's life. A fatal encounter with the evil god had sent Batman hurtling through time, where he nearly lost all sense of himself. One of his most dangerous ever foes, Dr. Hurt, was a creation of Darkseid. He hoped this situation had nothing to do with Apokalips.

"We're here."

El Capitan Reservoir. Batman and John Stewart landed, and immediately Batman pulled some equipment from a compartment in his belt for taking samples. After a few silent moments, Batman was able to take a reading from a sample of water.

"There are no immediate signs of contamination. I'll have to do more tests. In the meantime, I need you to head to San Vincente Reservoir and take some samples from there."
"I'll head right on over there. Is there anything in particular I should tell my ring to scan for? If we don't find anything here, where would the next step be? Most logical would be air borne pollutants but that would have meant us being exposed or the concentration be so low now that would be hard to detect. The ring didn't pick up anything too obvious either outside of the normal air pollution of this part of the state. Would there be any facilities close by that we could borrow to examine one of the more willing victims? When we do develop a counteragent, there will be some who may want to keep their powers but I'm still hoping that this scenario is temporary at best."

After Batman answers, John flies out towards the San Vincente Reservior and gathers the samples. He creates several small vials from his ring and gets the samples. The ring analyzes the samples and most of the poluttants are farm run off and some fairly high peaks in sulfer dioxide and several sulfates which are naturally occuring for most part but not to these levels. If John had to guess, it looks like some illegal industrial dumping been happening close by. Even with all of these elevated levels, the only thing it would do is make people sick and not suddenly mutate into metahumans. He then returns to Batman.

"Nothing up there too unusual with the exception of fairly high amounts of sulfur dioxide and several sulfates. I can't see them mutating people but would make people sick if they drank the water straight from the reservior. I would have to say that some illegal industrial dumping is happening upstream somewhere. Here, I can dump these samples into spare test tubes if you have any."

sumowrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:21 AM   #52
SenseiofCheese
has been expecting you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergirl View Post
I hear a familiar voice descend the stairs. Definitely not the same as it was when I first met him five years ago, his voice was still cracking back then. And good god was he annoying then. I mean kid brother of your best friend who thinks it's funny to put your panties on their head, annoying.

"Richard! I expected to find Bruce here, not you!"

Oh lord. That sheepish look on his face. What is it about that look? Why can I not get over that look?
"Uh, yeah, Bruce is helping the League out with the situation in San Diego." I explain, unable to take my eyes off her body.

Back when....Babs was Oracle, she proved that she was the strongest, most resiliant person I have ever met and I had never been more in love with her. But still.....she wears that suit well.

"I'm just dropped by to use the Computer for a case I'm working on. What's been going on with you?"

SenseiofCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #53
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

The Quintessence
Location Unknown

A group of cosmic beings that meet to discuss matters of extreme urgency and importance to the order of things, The Quintessence meets: Zues, Phantom Stranger, Ganthet, Shazam, and Highfather.

"Ganthet you seem...different. Is something--"

"There is absolutely nothing wrong, Shazam. After all, we are here for entirely different matters regarding this...Black Alice. Phantom Stranger has had the most experience with her in the past. He can begin."

"Reason prevails in the end, gentleman. Plus it goes against our very nature to--"

"She is but a sixteen year old girl, now, Phantom Stranger."

"Seventeen."

"It makes little difference. A year older and you think she is anymore mature? Her desire to restore her mother's condition to normal could break the balance of things. She wishes to convene a way for her mother's soul to return to her. In doing so, as before, she will be dabbling with powers she cannot fully control."

"But on a much larger scale."

"Precisely."

"So you agree with Zeus and Highfather then, Shazam and Ganthet? If it is so, make it known plain and simple. And we shall vote on it. If we intervene, nothing is to stop Lori in her anger and confusion to take the power of just not myself but of also Shazam at the very same time. Is this what you would have us do? Risk that? I hold onto the belief that while things may surely go down a dark road for Lori Zechlin...she will in the end make the right choice."

Dayton, Ohio
The Zechlin Residence

*KNOCK KNOCK*

Carl Zechlin waits for a moment, and as expected gets no response out of his daughter. But he knows she is awake. A few times, he would abruptly open the door, only to find her immersed in a trance of sadness. Times have been difficult for the both of them as they dealt with the death of his wife and her 'return' from said death and his previous sickness.

"Lori! If you don't get downstairs and eat your breakfast quick, you're going to miss the bus to school!"

He doesn't barge in, just like he hasn't since that one time. Though while he cannot see what he knows his daughter is doing inside, still it makes him want to get a taste of the drink. However, Mr. Zechlin tells himself, reminding himself, that not until she goes to school.

The second Lori goes out that door is when he can be greeted by such friends like Captain Morgan and Jack Daniels. Just a bit. Before work. Or maybe...a lot. He thinks that he is being rather sneaky this time about his relapse into alcoholism. But his daughter has known for some time again. Because what Mr. Zechlin doesn't realize sometimes, is that by the time she gets home from school, he's already drunk.

And it's like he doesn't even see her when she tries to tell him how her day went.

"There...there will be food waiting for you downstairs if you want it, Lori. Pancakes--sigh--as always. Your...mother has made some pancakes."

And he walks away from the door.

Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Aquaman can only be whole when he loses that hand again and reclaims the super-awesome water hand. It's one of comics' great paradoxes.

Last edited by trustyside-kick; 11-10-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: minor typos
trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:37 AM   #54
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

The Joker makes it back to his hideout and cuts on the TV.

Now let's see if I made the news.

The Joker sees various reports of a fire at A-J's lounge. The Fire-Chief is not making any comments until the fire is out at this time.

Oh drats! I outsmarted myself the fire is getting all the news right now and not a thing about the people inside or the joke. Oh well lesson learned just have to try again. In about two-three days they'll notice one of the canisters and then the Bat-Fam and I will continue our little dance.

The Joker begins going through the loot that his men took.

Gotta give credit where credit is due the boys really cleaned up on this one. Venom and all my other party accessories is pretty expensive, but then again I do like to give the people my best. Let's see if there are any other parties I can liven up this evening

He the goes over to the paper and begins browsing it.

A-HA! Here's something that I can work with; The Drama Department at GSU is putting on a production of "Romeo & Juliet." I don't think that the audience will fully appreciate the drama unless they too experience the death of the two leads. It's already started but if I hurry I can get there before the finale.

The Joker grabs four small canisters of venom and a couple of other items and begins to make his way to the GSU campus.

John 3:16
MST3K 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #55
Keyser Soze
I AM EXCITE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumowrestler View Post
"I'll head right on over there. Is there anything in particular I should tell my ring to scan for? If we don't find anything here, where would the next step be? Most logical would be air borne pollutants but that would have meant us being exposed or the concentration be so low now that would be hard to detect. The ring didn't pick up anything too obvious either outside of the normal air pollution of this part of the state. Would there be any facilities close by that we could borrow to examine one of the more willing victims? When we do develop a counteragent, there will be some who may want to keep their powers but I'm still hoping that this scenario is temporary at best."

After Batman answers, John flies out towards the San Vincente Reservior and gathers the samples. He creates several small vials from his ring and gets the samples. The ring analyzes the samples and most of the poluttants are farm run off and some fairly high peaks in sulfer dioxide and several sulfates which are naturally occuring for most part but not to these levels. If John had to guess, it looks like some illegal industrial dumping been happening close by. Even with all of these elevated levels, the only thing it would do is make people sick and not suddenly mutate into metahumans. He then returns to Batman.

"Nothing up there too unusual with the exception of fairly high amounts of sulfur dioxide and several sulfates. I can't see them mutating people but would make people sick if they drank the water straight from the reservior. I would have to say that some illegal industrial dumping is happening upstream somewhere. Here, I can dump these samples into spare test tubes if you have any."
"All I'll need are a few drops."

I take the samples I need, feeding them to my mobile testing kit.

"I'll run both samples on the Batcomputer, get some further analysis, but for now it seems like there's nothing of note here..."

KABOOM!

One of the control towers behind them suddenly exploded, knocking Batman flat on his back.

"YEEHAW!"

A teenager flew past at lightning-fast speed, firing more random fireballs at the surrounding area. He was headed in the direction of downtown.

"John... can you handle it?"

Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #56
Supergirl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiofCheese View Post
"Uh, yeah, Bruce is helping the League out with the situation in San Diego." I explain, unable to take my eyes off her body.

Back when....Babs was Oracle, she proved that she was the strongest, most resiliant person I have ever met and I had never been more in love with her. But still.....she wears that suit well.

"I'm just dropped by to use the Computer for a case I'm working on. What's been going on with you?"
Ooh boy. Is that a loaded question. Well frell. There goes that idea. Was gonna come here and ask for help. But I can't ask Dick, I don't want him to know.

"Just trying to get back in the saddle I guess. Tougher than it looks. I had my hands full last night, stopped a museum heist by Crazy Quilt and quelled a hostage situation with Zsasz." He doesn't need to know that Zsasz killed two women because I was off my game...

"What's this case? Anything I can help with?"

...Are you gonna get it up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bruce
I'll try.
Supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #57
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

By the time she manages to get off of her bed, only to slump into the corner sitting against her wall, Lori Zechlin has missed the school bus; that much is certain. She doesn't fret, though. And it isn't because life is so miserable that being late for school doesn't seem like such a bad thing. To Lori's advantage, perhaps one of the few good things, is that she can easily tap into her powers and borrow magical abilities to provide the means of getting her to class.

It's more of a routine, really, that still hasn't quite executed the feel a routine has. She does this every morning, you see. Just like her father always comes to her door every morning, hopelessly trying to get her to go downstairs, eat breakfast, and get to the school bus on time, she has this routine. But as is already said, it isn't exactly a routine.

A routine makes one get used to it. The actions become moot to a degree. And thus the meaning of said actions. But every single day. Every single day that Lori has to walk down those steps, exchange in what little conversation she can make with her 'mother', is like the first time.

This routine has and hasn't gotten old...it's one of the hardest parts of Lori Zechlin's day.

She manages to get out of her bedroom, and heads down the stairs. As she makes her way down, she can hear the sound of cabinets being opened and closed. Making it to the bottom of the stairs, her father fumbles the glass in his hands and tries to move the bottle out of plain sight.

"Lori! I uh...for some reason I thought you already went to school. You're going to miss the bus now and--"

"Relax, dad. I know."

"What?"

"I know that you're...drinking...again. Tell mom I love her and I'll be coming home a bit later from school today."

"She...she's actually outside."

"WHAT?!"

Looking ashamed, Carl Zechlin dips his head, his eyes eyeballing his empty glass. Realizing his daughter knows, after an awkward moment of silence, he grabs the bottle of Johnny Walker Blue, and pours himself a glass. Taking a sip--a truly delicious and godsend of a gift--for a brief second he is able to look over at Lori before turning his attention to the bottle.

"Relax, Lori...it's ok. I just...asked her to get the mail. I needed to be away fr--I needed her to get the mail."

Scoffing, Lori heads towards the front door, leaving her ashamed father behind. She may have seen him at such a low with his drinking, but he is more than relieved that she doesn't see him at his true worst.

As she closes the door behind her, it feels like she hasn't walked out onto their front lawn. It doesn't feel like she is just standing in a little suburb in Dayton, Ohio. As she sees her mother--a shell of her former self without a soul--Lori Zechlin feels like she has stepped out of her house and into Hell. And mind you, she once had been to Hell...and that experienced did quite the unexpected number on her.

This, and every moment with her mother...tops that experience easily.

"Your father said...said to--the mail. Said--there was something important he was waiting for. I only--are you mad...at me?"

"No mom. I'm not mad at you. I...could never be mad at you. Just...next time dad asks you to get the mail, tell him...tell him you're tired and need to lie down or something. Okay? Let him get the mail."

"Oh...ok."

Opening the door for her mother, Lori forces a smile and waves goodbye.

Aquaman can only be whole when he loses that hand again and reclaims the super-awesome water hand. It's one of comics' great paradoxes.

Last edited by trustyside-kick; 11-10-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #58
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

I can't believe this. I'm actually running late.

Well, I take it back. I actually can believe that part of it. Ever since I was a kid, I could never quite make it on time for anything in my life. Always late for school, orientation at the academy, my own birthday parties - something always kept getting thrown my way just when I was about to feel like I was ontop of the world. What's frustrating about this particular time is that for the first time in a long time, I felt like I was actually beginning to balance everything out. Director Singh's finally allowed me to start persuing the department's cold case files with the rest of the forensics team, and I feel like I can actually use my skills to do more good than just bagging the occasional burglar. Central City has alot of tracks that were left uncovered, so to be able to say that I can finally give some of these people closure is something that means the world to me. It's what the job is all about.

Moreover, tonight was supposed to be my first real date in six months. I had finally worked up the nerve to stop trading glances with her in the coffee room to say something and strike up a conversation. Luckily, the topic of discussion was her apparent fascination with the city's Rogues - something of which, without boasting, I happen to be somewhat of an expert on. We talked and she laughed at a few of my terrible attempts at humor, and the exchange ended with her giving me her number. She's also divorcee working as a criminal profiler, I've never been married and I work nights at the crime lab. In terms of commute alone, it's practically perfect.

Or at least, it would have been. On my way to the restraunt, the scanner in my car caught wind of a 7-32 in progress over on 45th and Main. Seven thirty two happens to be a newer classification in the police code, one that's only around five years old. It means, and I quote, "the act or acts of metahuman public disturbance and civillain attack".

Needless to say, my date is going to have to wait. I just thought that for once, I'd be able to subside this part of my life and have a normal conversation with someone that didn't involve blood spatter samples or time paradoxes.

That's what I get for being an optimist.

"STAY STILL, FREAK!"

A blast coming from what appears to be an energy-based high frequency combustion chamber rips through the skies, forcing me to vault ahead and run past as it decimates a nearby streetlamp. The perpetrators themselves aren't actually metahumans, so the classification was already wrong. But their weaponry is high end and dangerous enough for me to forgive the mistake. This is the third instance in the last month of a Central City gang getting their hands on technology that isn't of this world. That is to say, someone has come to town to offer them an edge against their competition. I wish I could say I had a lead, but so far, I'm running dry.

"Sorry, never could."

Before he has a chance to retort, I've already appeared infront of him and knocked him on the jaw, forcing him onto the ground. The weapon flies towards me after hurtling through the air, and I make quick work of it immediately. Dismembering it's parts gives me exactly the right amount of information I need. Except for who it's original owner is, of course.

"Jesus! He already got to Warren! Floor it, already!"

The van they intended to haul their stolen goods away in burns rubber down the street, leaving me in the dust.

I smile to myself. When are these airheads ever going to learn?

"Hold onto this for me,"

I toss the now-defunct remains of his destroyed weapon into the lap of the perp, who's knocked back onto the ground by the brunt of the titanium alloy. That should keep him winded until the police arrive.

"I'll be back in a flash."

And immediately, I'm gone, leaving nothing but the rush of wind in my wake.

If I hurry, maybe I can still make it before the appetizers are served.

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #59
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

"I'll be back in a flash."

Leaving their cohort to ponder to the error of his ways, or at least count the stars floating around his head until Central City PD arrives on the scene, I take off after their getaway van and begin to weave through traffic. Ashley's going to kill me for keeping her waiting for this long, but I can't exactly make a raincheck "because I had a gang of high-tech terrorists to wrangle up". Besides, it's not like I haven't outraced a variety of motor vehicle in my time - wouldn't be giving them much of a reason to call me The Flash if I hadn't. Taking off onto the freeway, where they think they stand a chance of losing me, I build up momentum and begin to leap over entire cars without losing a step of my pace. It's a move that nearly takes even me off guard. But when you've been running as fast as I have for as long as I have? You tend to learn how to roll with the punches. Almost got 'em, Barry. Just keep yourself focused and you can...

My hand literally grazes their rear bumper, as I try and reach out to steal the vehicle's speed, when I suddenly feel the wing on the left of my cowl begin to vibrate. It's a little function that I designed way back when I first created the outfit, given the nature of my occupation as a call-in forensic scientist. A bluetooth headset embedded on a micro-channel that keeps my calls linked up with my desk phone back at the office, so I can talk whenever I'm out on a run. I didn't want to lose my job just just because I was away and couldn't store a cellphone on my person, so I decided this would be the best alternative. At times like this, I start to really regret that decision.

Already losing a few feet of distance between the tech thieves, I inwardly sigh and tap the headset so that it answers the call. Then speed off at a bit of a slower pace, just to make sure that the signal doesn't die in the velocity. My speed and technology have never mixed particularly well, but I have to admit it. This is ridiculous.

"Barry Allen, Central City PD. How can I help you?"

"There you are! I was beginning to think you'd never answer my calls, Allen."

Oh, great. It had to be Iris West.

She's a reporter working with the firm that's taken an affinity to me, for some reason. Maybe it's because she's intrigued by my quiet nature. Or maybe it's just because I'm one of the few people that actually agreed to start giving the Central City Citizen some loose information about the cases the department was working on - at the full discretion of Director Singh, of course.

"Iris! Yeah, sorry I haven't gotten back to you. Been busy. Infact, now's not really the best..."

"This'll only take a second, I promise. You've got a second, right?"

Given that every second I spend talking and not paying attention to the cars directly in my path leads me closer to getting squashed, no. Not really.

"Of course. But only a second, okay? I'm in the middle of a big case."

"Great! Which one, the Manupal Bay strangler or the West End rooftop sniper?"

What the? How did she know about...

"I'm not at liberty to discuss those. We agreed to make this only about cold case files, remember?"

"Right. Sorry, I forgot. Anyway, I wanted to run a few details by you regarding my next article. It's about that boy that lost his father in a hit and run driveby ten years ago, the one that recently turned up missing. You remember him?"

I nearly trip as a moving truck honks it's horn at me, throwing me off with my attention diverted.

"Sure, I remember. Ronald, something?"

"Ronald Gallagher, he was ten years old at the time. Just turned twenty last week. Or was supposed to, at least."

My eyes shift. "Was? What do you mean by that? What have you found out, Iris?"

"They found him, Barry. He's dead."

My jaw drops as I find myself finally beginning to lose pace.

"Barry?"

"Sorry, I... just didn't know. Where did they find the body?"

"He was buried in Century Park, just beyond the back entrance. Whoever his killer was, they didn't do a very good job of trying to hide him. An elderly couple discovered him an hour ago during their evening jog."

My fists clench together as I fight to regain my speed, seeing the getaway van begin to trail off in the distance. Alot of things happening at once, I can barely keep up with it all. Particularly my anger at the fact that another victi of one of these cases has met their end. I promised that kid that I'd find out whoever killed his father, and now he's never going to live long enough to find out who did. I guess I'm just going to have to work on finding both murderers at the same time. If the killings aren't connected, that is.

"Maybe hiding the body wasn't his intent."

"What do you mean? You think they wanted Gallagher found?"

"It's possible."

"Can you swing by my place after work? We can discuss this in detail, and I'd really like the company."

Damn. Can't cop to being out, I already said I was working on a case. But if I meet Ashley at the restraunt and continue with the date, I'm not gonna have the time to go to Iris' to talk about the murder.

"I don't know if tonight would be a good time, Iris. This case is really working me over, and I'll probably just head home to bed."

"Barry, come on! You can sleep when you're dead! I really need your insight on this!"

My eyes close. As much as I hate to say it, I do feel kind of bad for avoiding her all this time. Maybe I do owe her some sort of information to use. I just don't know how I'm going to explain it to my date. It's bad enough that I have to admit to going to see another woman, which...

Yeah. I'm just going to assume that wouldn't go over well.

"I'll think about it."

"Do that, please! I need you for this. Between this and the metahuman outbreak in San Diego, my editor is really pressing me to meet deadlines. It would mean so much if you,"

"Wait. Slow down."

Amazingly, I actually manage to stop at what she just said, coming to a screeching halt in the middle of the freeway. Cars behind me slam on the breaks, causing a relatively light pileup. I apologetically wave back to them before turning back around, intently listening.

"What metahuman outbreak?"

"You didn't see it on the news? Random citizens have started developing superpowers all over the city. The number of people reaching superhuman potential is estimated in the thousands, right now. It's insane!"

Wow. That sounds incredibly dangerous. Or potentially exciting. I'm not actually sure of how to feel about it, at first. Maybe it'll make the rest of the League happy, we're bound to get a few potential recruits out of the mess. But not if people spontaneously begin shooting laser eyes, like Superman's, or even begin running faster than the speed of...

Oh my god.

They're going to need my help.

"Iris, I've gotta go. Director Singh's on my case. But I promise you that I'll at least try and make it tonight."

"Okay, Barry. Thanks. And good luck with whatever you'r-..."

Cutting the connection, I take off down the freeway and begin heading out of state immediately.

So much for the tech thieves.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #60
SenseiofCheese
has been expecting you.

Quote:
Ooh boy. Is that a loaded question. Well frell. There goes that idea. Was gonna come here and ask for help. But I can't ask Dick, I don't want him to know.

"Just trying to get back in the saddle I guess. Tougher than it looks. I had my hands full last night, stopped a museum heist by Crazy Quilt and quelled a hostage situation with Zsasz." He doesn't need to know that Zsasz killed two women because I was off my game...

"What's this case? Anything I can help with?"

"Well," I pull the domino mask off my face and throw it onto the desk, where it lands with a dull thud. "Seven drug-runners were found murdered at the docks last night. Torn apart, and I'm being literal."

I hunch over the BatComputer's keyboard and a few keystrokes bring up the crime scene photos. "One survivor, currently in the hospital. Just got back from an unscheduled visit, and he was completely petrified. Couldn't get a word out of him, but suddenly he started reciting this....nursery rhyme, I guess."

I turn back to Babs, who nods in a 'go on' sort of way. "Lurks in shadow, hides in dark. Simon, Simon, Simon Dark."

"I swear I remember it from somewhere, I just..." I let my arms drop in frustration, and a heavy sigh escapes my lips.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #61
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Superman took to the skies again after dealing with yet another regular citizen who suddenly gained superpowers. At this rate, he was on pace to knock half the city unconscious. A red streak roaring down the street caught his attention. With a slight smile on his face, he chased after the Flash and flew alongside him.

"There you are," Superman said as the two heroes sped down the street. His ears twitched with sounds from far away. "Something's going on at the naval base across town. Are you in?"

Old 11-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #62
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
Superman took to the skies again after dealing with yet another regular citizen who suddenly gained superpowers. At this rate, he was on pace to knock half the city unconscious. A red streak roaring down the street caught his attention. With a slight smile on his face, he chased after the Flash and flew alongside him.

"There you are," Superman said as the two heroes sped down the street. His ears twitched with sounds from far away. "Something's going on at the naval base across town. Are you in?"
Less than a minute after crossing into California, and I've made it to the center of the epidemic. Less than half a minute after that, and I'm running side by side with The Man of Steel. It figures. A citywide crisis, no matter where it is in the world, and he's always been the first one on the scene. And they call me The Fastest Man Alive?

"I have only one thing to say, Superman."

I flash him a mischievous grin before ramping up the velocity of my run, tenfold. We've actually done a few of these before, mostly for charity or sport. You'd be amazed at how many people want to see men like Clark and I show off our abilities. But even to this day, I've never quite managed to figure out who's the fastest between us.

After all, before I met Superman... I was untouchable.

"Raceyathere!"

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #63
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post

"I have only one thing to say, Superman."

I flash him a mischievous grin before ramping up the velocity of my run, tenfold. We've actually done a few of these before, mostly for charity or sport. You'd be amazed at how many people want to see men like Clark and I show off our abilities. But even to this day, I've never quite managed to figure out who's the fastest between us.

After all, before I met Superman... I was untouchable.

"Raceyathere!"

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Superman followed behind Flash's wake and arrived at the military base. In front of them were two Navy enlisted men. Their clothes were tattered and frayed. They had each grown a full foot taller, and added a few hundred pounds in muscle. An officer was behind them, his head stretched out to gigantic proportions.

"This should be an easy pick. You take the two big ones, I take care of the little guy."

Old 11-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #64
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

W.C. High School
Dayton, Ohio

On the way to school, tapping into her powers and borrowing the gifts of Laura Fell, the Warlock's Daughter, Lori is able to make it to school not just on time, but with time to spare. Traveling by magic is so much easier than any other means of transportation. And since she has arrived at school, and it is plain daylight so her 'transformation' would be more than obvious, Lori Zechlin returns her borrowed power back to its user. Her attention quickly goes from worrying about 'her image' to just...well, worrying about how she will get through the day.

Magic or no magic, people at school no she isn't normal. Word spreads fast and ever since she threatened to her then-boyfriend that was cheating on her in the mall, she's been more feared and misunderstood than ever before. Then again, she did steal the powers of one of the members of the Marvel family to do it.

Dear Diary,

Another day, another weird look my direction. One could say that I'm lucky that the school board had been sympathetic to my situation at home and with...myself. But it's hard to look at it in such a positive light.

High school sucks.

I...debated about trying to be friends with Dawn again. But no way am I rejoining the club even if she would have me. There's no point in me playing 'pretend' with all of those Wiccan wannabes when I can actually tap into the...magic-sphere I guess I could call it? And get a real taste of magic from some magic-user. But I do plan to have...extracurricular activities after school so not like I was lying to dad or anything. I just couldn't tell him where I was going.

Yes sir. As soon as the final bell rings I'm getting out of this hell hole and going to somewhere that will actually do me good.

A certain...bar.

As Lori enters the front door of the school, she pays no attention to the magical presence that is in fact within. She feels magical energy all the time, so unless a person is very close to her, she wouldn't be able to tell that they were watching from somewhat afar. Which is precisely what is happening. Someone is watching her. Someone...sinister and yet lovingly cheery. Should the moment feel right, that is.

"That's the one, isn't it, Teekl? Yes. Alice is it? Black Alice? Well, yes...I do suppose that the name is fitting. What, Teekl? I should change my wardrobe?! These...this is all out style? Pah! Fine! I will, for the moment, briefly torment myself by dressing like these...mundane humans."

"Oh, what fun high school will be!"

Last edited by trustyside-kick; 11-11-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: minor typos
Old 11-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #65
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Superman followed behind Flash's wake and arrived at the military base. In front of them were two Navy enlisted men. Their clothes were tattered and frayed. They had each grown a full foot taller, and added a few hundred pounds in muscle. An officer was behind them, his head stretched out to gigantic proportions.

"This should be an easy pick. You take the two big ones, I take care of the little guy."
"Right."

Turning towards the two gigantic brutes ahead of me, my mind suddenly goes into overdrive and envisions over fifty different ways that these two could put me in a hospital gurney. Meanwhile, Superman - the one with superhuman strength - takes on the man who looks less like a threat and more like he has an inflammatory reaction to something.

"How is that an easy pick?"

I almost turn to Superman in order to argue that maybe this isn't such a good idea, but I manage to stop myself. Easy on the throttle, Barry, no one likes a complainer. You came all the way out to San Diego to help with this epidemic, so it's just better for everyone for you to put your two feet forward and do what you do best. Run, and run like hell. Besides, when it comes to supercharged cells, what are these two if not a couple of minuscule obstacles? They're nothing. What could possibly go wrong?

"Hey, fellas! Name's The Flash, and I've got a game for you two to play. It's called... catch me if you can!"

Assuming a racer's position, I give a heavy sigh and smirk, as electric sparks begin to crack out of the seams of my costume, effectively creating a glow effect in the path as I vault forward and take off across the base. By the time I've circled the building five times, the two come crashing through the walls, angered at my apparent challenge.

Yep. Easy pick, alright.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #66
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
"Hey, fellas! Name's The Flash, and I've got a game for you two to play. It's called... catch me if you can!"

Assuming a racer's position, I give a heavy sigh and smirk, as electric sparks begin to crack out of the seams of my costume, effectively creating a glow effect in the path as I vault forward and take off across the base. By the time I've circled the building five times, the two come crashing through the walls, angered at my apparent challenge.

Yep. Easy pick, alright.
While Flash makes easy work of the two superpowered Navy men, Superman caught a flying jeep. The man with the large head was launching a telekinetic attack at the Man of Steel.

"So you can throw," he said through gritted teeth. "How about catching?"

Superman tossed the car back at the psychic. The man attempted to slow the car down, but it was going too fast. He ducked as the jeep barely flew over him and crashed on the ground behind him. When he looked up, Superman was standing over him.

"This shouldn't take too long."

With that, he drove his fist into the psychic's face. He pulled his punches just enough to knock the man unconscious without doing any harm. Brushing his hands, he turned to the Flash.

"Apparently, sarcasm isn't in your vocabulary, Barry."

Old 11-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #67
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Richards View Post

<CHOOM>

"Wait a second, Legs. I think..."

<CHOOM>

"What the Hell is that?"

<CHOOM> <CHOOM>

From around the corner of a Savings and Loan building, a giant loafer steps around. Inside of it is the foot of a one hundred foot man.

"Oh great. A giant Hipster."

Green energy bursts from Guy's ring and surrounds him. Guy is still visible from within but the form grows to gigantic proportions. A giant Japanese warrior faces the titanic citizen.

"You ever play with Shogun Warriors when you were small, Wonder Babe? I loved them!"

The Emerald Shogun grabs the Hipster's arm as he tries to strike out at the Savings and Loan.

"Nah uh uh! Nobody steps on a bank while I'm here!"

The Hipster grabs the Shogun's other arm and the two take a referee's stance. The two giants locked in a wrestling maneuver.

"If you've finished with the Elongated Grandma, I could use some.. <grunt> help!"

Untangling the elderly elastic woman's limbs is more time-consuming than difficult; what's truly difficult is keeping the other trapped citizens on the bus from using their own powers to hurt the old woman and free themselves. Still, it gets easier with every person I let loose.

Once everyone is freed and the old woman has returned to her normal shape, I look to where the Lantern is fighting. Gardner's struggle with the gigantic youth seems to be locked in a stalemate; I think I can tip the odds in our favor.

As the giant grapples with Gardner's construct, I go in low between his legs, looping my Lasso around one ankle, then lunge towards his other leg and pull hard, yanking his feet together. The enormous man, his center of balance completely off-set, is now all too easy for Garnder's construct to topple over.

"Fighting giants is something of a specialty of mine," I say, charging towards the man's head and driving my elbow into his temple to render him unconscious. "This area's clear for now. We should keep our eyes out for--"

The ground starts to rumble, and a few blocks away, an enormous pillar of ice juts out of the ground. At the top of it is a dog, squatting as if it had just finished its business.

"....something like that."

Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #68
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Superman tossed the car back at the psychic. The man attempted to slow the car down, but it was going too fast. He ducked as the jeep barely flew over him and crashed on the ground behind him. When he looked up, Superman was standing over him.

"This shouldn't take too long."

With that, he drove his fist into the psychic's face. He pulled his punches just enough to knock the man unconscious without doing any harm. Brushing his hands, he turned to the Flash.

"Apparently, sarcasm isn't in your vocabulary, Barry."
"Weren't you the one that told Lois Lane you never lie? I just figured I should take you at your word,"

As we begin commune, just when I've actually stopped moving for a moment, both of us are startled by a sudden phenomena that begins erupting in the distance. At first, I actually begin to think it's a live volcano about to burst. But to my own contradiction, I see that a giant pillar of ice has just exploded out of the ground to the far Northeast of here. For a moment, I see Superman preparing himself to fly off towards the ice, and feel myself preparing for another run.

Then we're both hit by something. A bright, green light that strikes him in the back, and me across the chest, coming from all sides. I manage to fall to my knees as the insignia on my costume begins to roll with steam, but Superman takes what clearly appears to be the worst of it, forced entirely to the ground and pained in a way that I've rarely ever seen him hurt. You don't see a guy like him affected by outward force often, let alone a beam of energy, unless...

Kryptonite.

"Well, well. So it seems that we've run into a couple of old friends, in good ole' California..."

"Funny how that works out. You with me, Riot?"

"Oh yes, Metallo!"

"Quite funny indeed!"

Old 11-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #69
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:

Then we're both hit by something. A bright, green light that strikes him in the back, and me across the chest, coming from all sides. I manage to fall to my knees as the insignia on my costume begins to roll with steam, but Superman takes what clearly appears to be the worst of it, forced entirely to the ground and pained in a way that I've rarely ever seen him hurt. You don't see a guy like him affected by outward force often, let alone a beam of energy, unless...

Kryptonite.

"Well, well. So it seems that we've run into a couple of old friends, in good ole' California..."

"Funny how that works out. You with me, Riot?"

"Oh yes, Metallo!"

"Quite funny indeed!"
I grit my teeth and grab my chest in pain. It feels like it's on fire and the rest of my body begins to feel weak and drained.

"T...take care of Riot. Metallo is mine."

Flash goes off to take care of the many Riots while I get back up on my feet.

"Ready for another shot of the green stuff, blue boy?"

I can't go head to head with Corben for long. If I can distract him long enough for Flash to take care of Riot and join the fight, he can take Metallo apart in the blink of an eye.

"Let's see what you got."

He prepares his chest for another blast, but I take off before he shoots. Up in the air, I notice how much my speed's been reduced. In a minute, I won't be able to fly at all. But I have to keep it up.

"Stand still, dammit!" Corben roars, firing off a few more green energy beams.

"Like to shoot lasers, huh?" I ask, my eyes glowing red. "Two can play at that game."

I let loose with my laser vision, burrowing through Metallo's right arm with a hot laser blast. It'll take him a few moments to get him up to speed. That should be buy me more time. Suddenly, I fall to the ground from ten feet up and land on the street with a thump.

There goes flight. Let's see how long it takes for the rest of my powers to go.

OOC: Changing style from 3rd person to 1st

Old 11-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #70
sumowrestler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
"All I'll need are a few drops."

I take the samples I need, feeding them to my mobile testing kit.

"I'll run both samples on the Batcomputer, get some further analysis, but for now it seems like there's nothing of note here..."

KABOOM!

One of the control towers behind them suddenly exploded, knocking Batman flat on his back.

"YEEHAW!"

A teenager flew past at lightning-fast speed, firing more random fireballs at the surrounding area. He was headed in the direction of downtown.

"John... can you handle it?"
"Great, a fast hot hands. Where is the Flash when we need him? Teens these days don't know how to drive let alone use powers that are given to them by something. Hopefully this one isn't too smart."

John puts a two inch thick wall fifty yards across in front of the teen. The teen not stopping or turning starts to run up the wall which John then starts to curve back towards himself. To John's surprise, the kid was actually running upside down and then falls down on the ground still coming at him. This time, fireballs started coming at John as he floats over the area.

"Kid, you really don't know who you are messing with."

John then takes the wall construct and changes it into a cage which he puts on top of the kid.

"Ha, you think this little cage is going to hold me? Juvy couldn't hold me even after two times of trying to keep me there."

The kid starts to run in circles and to John's amazement, starts creating a fire cyclone and warming up the area and fast. The cyclone starts to engulf the cage and the heat getting to John's face.

"Once I have my fun down in the city, I'm going to make sure they never going to lock me up in that stupid juvenile detention center ever again. IT IS GOING TO BURN!"

The thing the teen doesn't realize is that John was slowly forming the cage into a ball very similar to a hamster ball. Once it was solid, John lifted it up still feeling the vibration of the guy trying to run out of his new prison. Thankfully the kid wasn't too stupid to attempt to burn his way through but to convince him to stop running, John 'drops' the ball onto the ground and lifts it back up.

"Ring, status of the human inside."

"The human is experiencing unknown powers. It is.."

"Tell me if the kid is injured or unconscious or what. I know he is super powered at the moment."

"The subject is unconscious and relatively uninjured. It is possible he would have bruises."

"Good, that is all what I wanted to know."

John then changes the 'hamster ball' into a gurney with the kid strapped in tightly. He then brings the kid to Batman.

"I don't know if you intend on taking blood samples but here is the one I just caught. I hope he doesn't wake up soon. Apparently he spent some time in the local juvenile center here and has a grudge against them. Kids like these are the scary ones to develop powers and there are plenty of others who would use them for their own ugly agendas."

sumowrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #71
Franklin Richards
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C. View Post
Untangling the elderly elastic woman's limbs is more time-consuming than difficult; what's truly difficult is keeping the other trapped citizens on the bus from using their own powers to hurt the old woman and free themselves. Still, it gets easier with every person I let loose.

Once everyone is freed and the old woman has returned to her normal shape, I look to where the Lantern is fighting. Gardner's struggle with the gigantic youth seems to be locked in a stalemate; I think I can tip the odds in our favor.

As the giant grapples with Gardner's construct, I go in low between his legs, looping my Lasso around one ankle, then lunge towards his other leg and pull hard, yanking his feet together. The enormous man, his center of balance completely off-set, is now all too easy for Garnder's construct to topple over.

"Fighting giants is something of a specialty of mine," I say, charging towards the man's head and driving my elbow into his temple to render him unconscious. "This area's clear for now. We should keep our eyes out for--"

The ground starts to rumble, and a few blocks away, an enormous pillar of ice juts out of the ground. At the top of it is a dog, squatting as if it had just finished its business.

"....something like that."

"You're ****ting me. What is this? Snow Dogs?"

Guy lands on the slowly melting giant ice shard. He holds his hand out slowly.

"Come here, Lassie. Ol Uncle Guy won't hurt ya. Maybe I got a milkbone for ya."

A giant green collar appears around the neck of the scared mutt.

<WOOOOSSHHHHH!>

"GAH!"

As Guy edged closer the dog opened it's mouth and breathed out a blizzard of snow and ice. Guy's personal forcefield is coated and thickened with white in seconds.

Slowly a green glow brightens from within and the ice shell melts into a puddle. Guy appears with a green flame aura surrounding him.

"I learned that one from Alan. Night, night, Benji."

A green boxing glove streaks from Guy's ring and knocks the dog unconscious.

"Green Lantern to Batman. Whatever you two are doing, I'd suggest you pick up the pace."

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #72
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

The Joker arrives at the GSU Theater and nods his head slowly.

Okay not as many people as the lounge, but dead people are still dead and besides most of them will be weeping over an imaginary love story, and that's just too sad. The theater should be about joy and having fun and if anyone else knows more about fun than me...I haven't met 'em!

The Joker sneaks around to the back of the building and learns that the door is locked. He pulls out one of his razor sharp cards and uses it to break in.

Never leave home without it. Besides using a credit card that's agood way to damage your credit rating and...

Just then he sees a security guard approaching. Without even thinking the Joker hurls the card and kills the guard.

Oh sorry about that you kinda spooked me there I think you would've enjoyed going with the smile. Let's see if that can still work.

He tries to make the guard smile but fails.

Nope oh well your lose for sneaking up on me.

The Joker then plants a few canisters of Venom near the gas lines, and then leaves the theater but also leaves the door open. The Joker hurls a grenade in the open door and the theater goes up in a bal of flames and metal.

The Joker begins laughing loud and long as he makes his way back to his hideout. A couple of students see him and are frozen in fear.

The Joker says, "Oh lighten up kiddies!" He throws two small cans of venom at them and they fall over laughing and dead.

The Joker says, "Ahh there you go!" He then heads off back to his hideout.

John 3:16
MST3K 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #73
Supergirl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiofCheese View Post
"Well," I pull the domino mask off my face and throw it onto the desk, where it lands with a dull thud. "Seven drug-runners were found murdered at the docks last night. Torn apart, and I'm being literal."

I hunch over the BatComputer's keyboard and a few keystrokes bring up the crime scene photos. "One survivor, currently in the hospital. Just got back from an unscheduled visit, and he was completely petrified. Couldn't get a word out of him, but suddenly he started reciting this....nursery rhyme, I guess."

I turn back to Babs, who nods in a 'go on' sort of way. "Lurks in shadow, hides in dark. Simon, Simon, Simon Dark."

"I swear I remember it from somewhere, I just..." I let my arms drop in frustration, and a heavy sigh escapes my lips.
God. He looks so lost behind a monitor. So unbelievably, cutely lost. I sigh as he gets flustered.

"Move it compi. I got this."

I gently push Dick's chair out of the way, and slide into the keyboard. As unfamiliar as the tights and cape thing has become to me, this is like coming back home. My fingers fly over the keyboard and I sneak a glance at Dick's face just to bask in his awe.

"Let's see. Simon Dark, a nursery rhyme said to have origins in Gotham City. Specifically the Village is assumed to be the focal point of the rhyme. Full rhyme is pulled up as:

Lurks in Shadows. Hides in the dark.
Simon. Simon. Simon Dark.

If you're good he'll stay away.
If you're bad he'll make you pay.

Seems like we have a place to start looking."

...Are you gonna get it up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bruce
I'll try.
Supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #74
SenseiofCheese
has been expecting you.

Quote:
God. He looks so lost behind a monitor. So unbelievably, cutely lost. I sigh as he gets flustered.

"Move it compi. I got this."

I gently push Dick's chair out of the way, and slide into the keyboard. As unfamiliar as the tights and cape thing has become to me, this is like coming back home. My fingers fly over the keyboard and I sneak a glance at Dick's face just to bask in his awe.

"Let's see. Simon Dark, a nursery rhyme said to have origins in Gotham City. Specifically the Village is assumed to be the focal point of the rhyme. Full rhyme is pulled up as:

If you're good he'll stay away.
If you're bad he'll make you pay.

Seems like we have a place to start looking."
She never ceases to amaze.

"Let's see..." I lean in over Babs and my eyes scan over the information she pulled up. This close I can smell her hair, and for a moment I just take it in, staring at the monitor without remembering what I'm looking at.

"Simon Dark is a Gotham legend dating back to the 1800s." I recite off the screen. "Said to consist of the souls of murdered children, Simon Dark was often used to frighten troubled children on to the straight and narrow. Described as a slim, black-haired figure with a pale, emotionless face, Simon Dark was called forth to mete out a grim justice to those he deemed 'bad'."

I straighten up and put my hands on my hip. "So, a 200 year-old fairy tale monster." I sigh. "Fantastic."

It makes sense that I couldn't remember the nursery rhyme completely. From what I can see the legend of Simon Dark was exclusive to Gotham, and my childhood ended pretty abruptly once I settled down here.

"Looks like the nursery rhyme and the basic history of the myth is all the Computer can dig up. You wouldn't happen to know anyone versed in the myths and legends of Gotham City, would ya?" I ask, a sheepishly hopeful smile on my face.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #75
Keyser Soze
I AM EXCITE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Richards View Post
"Green Lantern to Batman. Whatever you two are doing, I'd suggest you pick up the pace."
Batman turned to John Stewart. He never thought he'd say this, but...

"Gardner's right. We need to head back downtown and do what we can to keep this chaos under control."

He cast a glance back at the unconscious delinquent. He didn't like saying this either...

"We'll just have to leave him here. No prison in San Diego is going to hold him or others like him. Our focus needs to be on fixing the cause of all this."

The pair flew back to downtown San Diego.

"See if the others need any help," Batman said, "Im going to go see what I can do."

With that, Batman seperated from the Green Lantern and ventured off on his own into the city.

Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote