The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > RPG Archives

Old 11-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #101
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Default Re: The "World's Finest" DC RPG

Batman's communicator starts flashing: Superman's calling him.

"Sorry, I've got to go. Good luck, Nightwing, and Batgirl... stay away from The Joker."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
"Thanks for that," I say with a nod at the Green Lantern. I can already feel my strength beginning to return.

I turn away from John and activate my communicator.

"Superman to Batman, have you found out exactly what's causing all this mess yet?"
"I'm running some final tests to confirm, but I think I have. John and I encountered a violent metahuman. John took him out, and I took a blood sample. His bloodstream was loaded with tiny nanites. John mentioned that the San Vincente reservoir had traces of various sulfuric compounds, but on closer inspection, I realised not all of those would match what you might typically find from industrial dumping. So, I'm running further tests on one of the nanites to confirm, but it seems to me that these nanites were water-borne, laced through San Diego's water supply."

Of course, it was more complicated than that.

"But here's the problem: I tested water samples from both San Vincente and El Capitan, and save from these lingering sulfates, there's no trace of the nanites themselves. There would be, if this had been done recently. So, whoever is behind this put enough of these nanites into the water supply for them to circulate and infect the whole city, then removed them from circulation, and did all of this some time ago. Which means that the nanites themselves don't automatically give people their powers. Somewhere, there is an on-switch."

And if there's an on-switch, there should be an off-switch.

"Superman, you talked about picking up on radio signals when you first arrived in San Diego. Try and hone in on that. My guess is, if you find the source of that signal, you find the source of these superpowers. Switch it off, and everyone should return to normal."

Then it's just a matter of finding who was behind all this...

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #102
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post

"But here's the problem: I tested water samples from both San Vincente and El Capitan, and save from these lingering sulfates, there's no trace of the nanites themselves. There would be, if this had been done recently. So, whoever is behind this put enough of these nanites into the water supply for them to circulate and infect the whole city, then removed them from circulation, and did all of this some time ago. Which means that the nanites themselves don't automatically give people their powers. Somewhere, there is an on-switch."

And if there's an on-switch, there should be an off-switch.

"Superman, you talked about picking up on radio signals when you first arrived in San Diego. Try and hone in on that. My guess is, if you find the source of that signal, you find the source of these superpowers. Switch it off, and everyone should return to normal."

Then it's just a matter of finding who was behind all this...
"Right. I'm getting on to of that."

I turn to John and motion towards the Flash's direction.

"See if you can help him out. I'll be back."

I take to the skies, flying nearly sixty thousand feet above the city of San Diego. From this distance, I can see everything. Radio, TV, internet waves. All of it. Including the unique signal I saw earlier. The waves are all over the city, but they're heading southeastern. The signal is coming from the northwest somewhere. I follow the path and focus my sight on the source.

"Batman, see if you can meet me in the northwest part of the city. The sign says it's a section called Mira Mesa. Flanders Drive. I think I have the source of the problem."

Old 11-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #103
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
"Right. I'm getting on to of that."

I turn to John and motion towards the Flash's direction.

"See if you can help him out. I'll be back."

I take to the skies, flying nearly sixty thousand feet above the city of San Diego. From this distance, I can see everything. Radio, TV, internet waves. All of it. Including the unique signal I saw earlier. The waves are all over the city, but they're heading southeastern. The signal is coming from the northwest somewhere. I follow the path and focus my sight on the source.

"Batman, see if you can meet me in the northwest part of the city. The sign says it's a section called Mira Mesa. Flanders Drive. I think I have the source of the problem."
"I'm at the other side of the city, Superman. I'll try to head over there, but it may take me a while. You'd best go ahead without me and see what you can do."

Batman hated to acknowledge his own weakness, but in this situation every second counted, and these people needed to be a priority.

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 11-24-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #104
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenseiofCheese View Post
NIGHTWING

I scream out, fall to one knee, and clutch my side with one hand. With the other, I lash out and my fist connects with something that breaks, followed by a painful shout.

The Joker doesn't have time to gloat over the fact that he slashed Nightwing as he feels something similar to hammer across the bridge of his nose.

"AHHHHH! My nothe! You broke my nothe! You Bat-Brat!" cries out the clown prince of crime

He feels the blood running down the bridge across his face.

The Joker regathers his senses and sees his reflection in a piece of glass.

He says, "I think I can make this work!" The Joker smears the blood across his face almost like war-paint and smiles broadly, "Not bad!"

The Joker turns his attention back to the wounded Nightwing and says, "You seem a bit off your game right now Nightwing. Is the burden of being Batman-Lite too much? Or is your mind on you and Batchick settling down in your own cozy little cave off of Maine and having a couple of winged rodents of your own?"

He pulls out a small juggling club and says, "Here let me help you get your head back in the game!"

The Joker swings the club towards Nightwing's head

John 3:16

Last edited by MST3K 4ever; 11-18-2011 at 11:16 AM.
MST3K 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #105
SenseiofCheese
has been expecting you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MST3K 4ever View Post

The Joker turns his attention back to the wounded Nightwing and says, "You seem a bit off your game right now Nightwing. Is the burden of being Batman-Lite too much? Or is your mind on you and Batchick settling down in your own cozy little cave off of Maine and having a couple of winged rodents of your own?"

He pulls out a small juggling club and says, "Here let me help you get your head back in the game!"

The Joker swings the club towards Nightwing's head
NIGHTWING

Damn it, he's fast.

I regain some of my vision just in time to look up, and see the club come sailing down towards my head. I throw myself out of the way just in time for the club to come crashing down on the floor, smashing the tiles.

The Joker picks the club up, swinging it once more in my direction. Another fast move and the club makes a hole in the wall behind me, instead of my head. Using the momentum, I deliver a rib-crushing blow to the clown's side.

He stumbles back, and I stand up straight. I take hold of the club's hilt and smash it to pieces.

"Just stop talking." I growl, as an escrima stick slides into each hand.

SenseiofCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #106
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Quote:
NIGHTWING

Damn it, he's fast.

I regain some of my vision just in time to look up, and see the club come sailing down towards my head. I throw myself out of the way just in time for the club to come crashing down on the floor, smashing the tiles.

The Joker picks the club up, swinging it once more in my direction. Another fast move and the club makes a hole in the wall behind me, instead of my head. Using the momentum, I deliver a rib-crushing blow to the clown's side.

He stumbles back, and I stand up straight. I take hold of the club's hilt and smash it to pieces.

"Just stop talking." I growl, as an escrima stick slides into each hand.

The Joker stumbles back after the rib-smash and drops to a knee.

He watches Nightwing destroy the club and he says, "Hey kid those ain't cheap ya know!"

After he hears Nightwing's statement he smirks a little and says, "A little to close to home? Family issues? Ahh! I know a good place to treat that maybe we can get adjoining cells and set-up all night talking and in the morning I'll see about making omelets for us!"

The Joker then begins to to cackle loud and long, while cackling he fires off a stream of acid from his flower at Nightwing.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #107
SenseiofCheese
has been expecting you.

Quote:

The Joker stumbles back after the rib-smash and drops to a knee.

He watches Nightwing destroy the club and he says, "Hey kid those ain't cheap ya know!"

After he hears Nightwing's statement he smirks a little and says, "A little to close to home? Family issues? Ahh! I know a good place to treat that maybe we can get adjoining cells and set-up all night talking and in the morning I'll see about making omelets for us!"

The Joker then begins to to cackle loud and long, while cackling he fires off a stream of acid from his flower at Nightwing.
NIGHTWING

I try to move out of the way but the bright, green spray hits me in the chest. Within a second my suit is smoking as the chemical eats its way through to my skin. I shout in pain as the first drops of the acid make contact with my flesh.

I hurl one of the escrima sticks straight at the Joker, and it hits him in square in the chest. The air is knocked out of his lungs as he collapses onto his back. He releases the trigger on his flower a moment too late, and drops of acid rain down on him.

"You sick, demented psycho." I grunt, as I turn and look down the hall.

With a mighty throw, the remaining escrima stick flies down the hall, before crashing into the fire alarm. The alarm blares as the sprinklers above our heads kick in, raining cold water down on our heads. Within seconds, the acid has cleared off both of us.

"I know you're not one for big plans, Joker, but even you couldn't have thought this was a good idea." I walk over to him, reach down and pick him up by the lapels of his coat. With one hand I slam him against the wall, his head making a thud against the concrete, and with the other I rip the acid-spewing flower off.

"Or are you just so desperate for attention? I mean, crashing a party at the Museum of Natural History?" he tries to smile, and for a moment my anger takes over. I clench my fist and smack him in his already broken nose, shattering it further. I turn, hauling him with me and throwing him up against the other wall. Before he slides down, I grab him by the jacket and pin him once more. "How utterly, pathetically, predictable."

Old 11-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #108
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

Quote:
NIGHTWING

I try to move out of the way but the bright, green spray hits me in the chest. Within a second my suit is smoking as the chemical eats its way through to my skin. I shout in pain as the first drops of the acid make contact with my flesh.

I hurl one of the escrima sticks straight at the Joker, and it hits him in square in the chest. The air is knocked out of his lungs as he collapses onto his back. He releases the trigger on his flower a moment too late, and drops of acid rain down on him.

"You sick, demented psycho." I grunt, as I turn and look down the hall.

With a mighty throw, the remaining escrima stick flies down the hall, before crashing into the fire alarm. The alarm blares as the sprinklers above our heads kick in, raining cold water down on our heads. Within seconds, the acid has cleared off both of us.

"I know you're not one for big plans, Joker, but even you couldn't have thought this was a good idea." I walk over to him, reach down and pick him up by the lapels of his coat. With one hand I slam him against the wall, his head making a thud against the concrete, and with the other I rip the acid-spewing flower off.

"Or are you just so desperate for attention? I mean, crashing a party at the Museum of Natural History?" he tries to smile, and for a moment my anger takes over. I clench my fist and smack him in his already broken nose, shattering it further. I turn, hauling him with me and throwing him up against the other wall. Before he slides down, I grab him by the jacket and pin him once more. "How utterly, pathetically, predictable."

The Joker tries to focus on Nightwing, but after having his head slammed more than once and his broken nose shattered he blinks twice and asks, "Say who are you too judge me Batsy?"

He finally focuses in on Nightwing and says, "Oh yeah it's you. Well you see this wasn't my first choice, but when you think about it it's all part of my way of giving the people want they want. You're denser than Batman you really are. I imagine Batgirl needs someone to remind her to breathe."

Nightwing glares at him and prepares to strike him again, but The Joker says, "You see the Lounge crowd were in it because they wanted 'Stairway to Heaven' I gave it to them. The Theater group felt so sorry for Romeo & Juliet so I allowed them to join them, and here they were all so fascinated with the mummies I figured I'd give them a chance to join them too. See everyone gets what they wanted!"

The Joker looks almost sad when he says, "But now you're spoiling the fun so gotta tell ya kiddo your time is up! Been fun."

With that the Joker slams his joy buzzer into one of the openings on the suit.

Last edited by MST3K 4ever; 11-18-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #109
trustyside-kick
The Marine Marvel

OOC: Previously...

The Cafeteria
W.C. High School

Dayton, Ohio

As lunch time rolls around, Lori secludes herself from her peers, sitting at a table entirely by herself. Ever since the new kid Klarion Bleak had entered the school not only did she start to sense a strong magical presence but all sorts of strange and unreal occurrences have come into play. During her math class, she asked to excuse herself so she could go to the bathroom and get a drink of water from the water fountain, and when she had got there suddenly the water fountain to use it, it shrunk as she bent down to get a drink. So as she naturally bent down further to drink the now shrunken down water fountain, it began to rattle about and she took a step backward and it enlarged to where it was practically touching the ceiling. During all of this, she could sense Klarion's magical powers nearby, so when she scoffed and was about to walk away, suddenly it shrunk down to its original size.

By then, she was no longer in the mood to get a drink.

During gym class, they were all playing dodgeball and any time someone tried to throw a ball that was nearby--but not aimed at--Lori, suddenly the ball changed direction attempting to strike her instead. Briefly tapping into her magical powers and sensing the demon Etrigans powers, it was very tempting for her to lash out right there and then by borrowing the powers of him. But, good for Lori, she refrained from doing so and controlled her anger. Such are the type of magical and strange occurrences that had been going on in school ever since Klarion Bleak had walked into her history class.

As she sits as her empty lunch table, she only hopes that the meat loaf from the lunch line that looks like a disgusting and horrid meat monster doesn't suddenly, magically, come alive and splash her in the face with meat sauce.

That would really piss Lori off.

Dear Diary,

My patience with this little magical brat is really starting to wear thin. Every time I glance over my shoulder, pretending to see how long the line at the gatorade vending machine is, I see the twerp looking at me and as he notices, starts waving like a moronic dumb ass. No matter how many times I
don't wave back he still does.

Granted, at least his little endeavors have only been if anything amateur and I haven't had to actually put him down. Sigh...I'm trying to start a new year, a new image at school, and this wacko is dying to get my attention. What does he want? To be best friends? He likely can tell I'm not normal either.

I swear...if he wants me to be his girlfriend he better hope that the power of the Spectre is not mine to tap into when that happens.

"Alice!"

Great...the idiot finally manages to decide to come over to my table.

Sighing, and closing up her diary and placing it into her backpack, Lori Zechlin crosses her arms and gives Klarion the Witchboy an annoyed look as he takes a seat at the table.

"I see that you've been eying that gatorade machine...are you thirsty?"

With a snap of his fingers, suddenly the gatorade machines to shake about, causing concern to the nearby students and students that were in line for vending machine. A second later it starts to shoot out gatorade bottles like crazy, with Klarion smiling with glee the entire time as he magically hovers some over to their table. Lori facepalms, smacking her head hard as she does while the entire student body in B Lunch looks their way.

"Look, kid, I know you've been trying to get my attention, but you seriously need to--"

"WHAT?!"

"You knew it was me this entire time and you just...ignored me?!!?!"

"You're annoying the hell outta me! What'd you expect?! Haven't you ever interacted with a human being before? You...you don't have a thing for me do you? Because I really can't deal with--"

"A thing for you? What do you mean?"

"You know...date."

"What?! YUCK! Everyone knows that girls have cooties. And you are no mere girl so I can only imagine that your magical cooties are far worse."

Cooties...seriously...I feel like I'm talking to a six year old. A moronic six year old.

trustyside-kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:35 AM   #110
SenseiofCheese
has been expecting you.

Quote:

The Joker looks almost sad when he says, "But now you're spoiling the fun so gotta tell ya kiddo your time is up! Been fun."

With that the Joker slams his joy buzzer into one of the openings on the suit.
NIGHTWING

Two of Bruce's lessons go through my mind seconds before the world goes dark.

1) If you can avoid it, never, ever go in close with the Joker.

2) The Joker will never get in a fight without knowing the outcome beforehand.

I feel like an idiot. Every step of the way I was being led like a dog. When he threw the razor playing card, he didn't miss. He sliced open a section of my suit. When he sprayed me with acid, he was counting on the sprinkler system. Then he made me mad, knowing I'd go up close and personal, leaving myself open to the buzzer.

The electricity surges through my body. My eyes go white, my muscles spasm, and I collapse to the floor. And then.....it all goes black.

I wake up no more than a minute later. My head is swimming, but the fire alarm is still going and the sprinklers stop just as I open my eyes. I take a look around, waiting the for killing blow, but there's nothing waiting for me.

Except for a message on the wall, written in the Joker's own blood.

MY ReGARdS tO BaTSY! HA-HA-HA, OW

A second later and I hear the police come crashing into the lobby, to the shrieks and hollers of the guests. The Joker laid traps that the guests immediately start pointing out, giving me just enough time to get out, and return to the Cave.

He got away.

I'm sorry, Bruce.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #111
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

The Joker manages to slip out the back of the Museum and down an alley.

He makes his way to the Narrows and pays a visit to Dr. Carter. Carter is a disgraced Doctor who got caught writing out prescriptions to himself. Now he lives in the Narrows as delivery driver, but everyone on the wrong side of the law knows that if you need to see someone and can't go to the E-R at Gotham General because too many questions would be asked you go to Doc Carter.

The Joker stumbles to the door and barges in. Carter who was asleep on the couch is startled to say the least.

The Joker says, "Is there a doctor in the house?"

Carter replies, "Joker? Haven' seen you in a while you ran into the bat?"

The Joker says, "Nope ran into the junior partner he did some good work I'll give him credit."

Carter motions for the Joker to sit on a chair and he takes a look at the damage.

He says, "Okay the nose I can set it and it'll heal over time, but you're gonna have a scar to be sure. You want something for the pain? I got scotch, I got some pain-killers not sure about them though I got them through a friend of a friend."

The Joker says, "Carter you know how I am. Could you imagine me on drugs. I'd hate to kill you before you were done. Just make sure you don't use flesh-tone tape."

Carter says, "Okay" He takes two shots of Scotch and says, "Here we go!"

The Joker does a combination of screaming and laughing throughout.

When Carter is done The Joker gives him some of the money he stole from his men and gets back to his hideout.

Once there gets on the News and watches the Mayhem that he caused and says, "Not a bad night's work!"

He glances over to a mirror and says, "I still got it. HA HA HA HA HA HA!"

Last edited by MST3K 4ever; 11-19-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #112
sumowrestler
Side-Kick

John looks around to spot the Flash after Superman leaves. All he sees is what looks like a pile of bodies that are black and white flailing on top of each other trying to punch whatever is underneath. There is no sign of Flash but the pile does look similar to the villain he saw earlier. It doesn't take long for John to surmise that the Flash is buried underneath the pile of bodies. It does surprise him though that he hasn't gotten himself out of the mess. John shakes his head a little and creates a bulldozer shovel and starts scraping off the bodies slowly trying not to knick the Flash. As the shovel picks up two or three bodies, the shaking of the bodies next to each other has them disappear. This simplifies John's tatic as he starts picking up the bodies with regular beams and smashing them against each other with similar results. Before long, pieces of red start showing but somehow more copies start showing up charging at John. There are only five black and white bodies on Flash.

"Alright, Flash, how do we keep a guy down who just makes copies of himself?"

As John continues to float above the ground and now starts dodging fists and other objects being thrown at him, he notices what looks like where the duplicates are coming from. It seems that there is one primary version that might be the master copier.

"I think I've figured out the answer to my own question. Looks like there is one person in the back of the pack who is spawning all of these. If we can take him down, then we will be able to halt the production and this is IF we can get to him."

John then creates a bulldozer going through the first few copies but the rest including the primary Riot dodge to the side of the slow moving construct. They continue to pelt him with anything they can get a hold of while his personal shield deflects most of it. The most that the debris is doing is keeping him distracted and not allowing him to control his construct well enough. The bulldozer then disappears from the lack of concentration.

sumowrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #113
Watchman
Adios, Cowboy

The beast picks up Frankenstein and hurls him through the car to the next one. Frankenstein tries to bring himself back up but is met with another massive blow. He plunges the sword into the creature's abdomen but his body is more amorphous than solid moving around the sword. The creature tries to choke Frankenstein and pin him to the wall. The tentacles on his face open up revealing rows and rows of teeth. Frankenstein grabs his gun and plugs bullet after bullet into its face.

"Nazis? Is it that time of the week?" the image of a little girl sits on top of one of the crates. Father Time is projecting himself here.

"Hrrr."

"Alright, who had undead Nazis in the pool?"

"I don't find the humor in this, Father!" Frankenstein bashes the butt of his gun on the creature and kicks him off.

"Nor do I. We can't find a way to stop the train."

"Then me and agent Mazursky wait and unleash hell when we arrive at the destination."

"That's the thing. This isn't just a train, it's a bullet fired at the heart of the world. You did stop the incantation but you were far too late. When this reaches it's target something is coming out....agent Belroy? Options? No that...we can't afford that...damn the Germans are going to be wanting blood. Alright activate the Eye of G.O.D."

"Father, no. We can't..."

"No, we can't activate the teleportation device with that thing walking around. Take care of it. The clock is ticking." The image disappears and the monster leaps but is cut off with a rocket which lodges it self in it's gooey body. The monster flies through the air blowing up on the other side.

"Excellent shot, Dr. Mazursky."

"Seriously...I'm sick of Nazis." The remains of the creature slither forward. Pieces of it hover in the air as body parts from the zombies fly forward, forming shape from the ground up. Towering over them was a giant made out of corpses.

"Oh...no, no, no, no."

"Doctor. Run." The meat mech brings down a fist creating a hole in the train. Bone, cartilage, and tissue fly with each swing.

"We need an exit. We are not prepare for this but Father won't let us leave until we have dealt with the beast."

"You spoke with Time. That's the problem. Agent Palmer, it's Dr. Mazursky. We need a way home. Yes, he stranded us here with the Eye of G.O.D activated. Thank you, Ray." A blue door opened up right in front of them. Nina tugged Frank's arm.

"Come on. We have to go now!" The sky turned red. Above the them a gleaming light formed. The two step through the hole. A beam of light hits the creature which turns to nothingness. The train does the same while it scorches much of the land around it.

Old 11-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #114
SenseiofCheese
has been expecting you.

NIGHTWING

Then

"I shoulda had him." I shouted in frustration, my head already beginning to ache and mucus clogging my nose.

"Dick.."

"I'm sorry, Bruce, okay? I know I should have waited until you had taken Mr. Freeze down." I threw myself onto the couch, dropping my domino mask on the table, and coughed up a storm. "Commissioner Gordon's wife wasn't in immediate danger, she could have waited."

I coughed some more, and I remember feeling like a complete idiot. "I can't believe I got tagged by Mr. Freeze. Idiot. I'm sorry."

"Dick."
Bruce sat down on the couch next to me, spreading a blanket across my lap. "You risked your life to save an innocent person. I'm proud of you." he smiled.

"Now, are we going to watch the movie or not?"

One of the best days of my life.

Now

"I should have had him."

I slam my fist down onto the table, barely able to sit still as Alfred tends to my wounds.

"Master Richard, if not for your efforts tonight, dozens of people would have been murdered by that psychopath." Alfred finishes stitching up the gash on my shoulder.

"I would consider that a job well done."

"Bruce would have--"
I begin, cut off as Alfred pushes his finger a little too hard into my skin when checking the sutures.

"And Master Bruce would most definitely agree."

"He mentioned Barbara and I almost..."
I sigh, hanging my head.

"But you didn't, Master Richard." Alfred smiled, removing his gloves and throwing them in a garbage bin. "Your parents raised you well. All three of them."

I smile and, for a moment, I don't hate myself.

"Aside from a few cuts and bruises, you seem to be fine. That's not to say I don't wish you would relax the rest of the night."

Jumping off the table and throwing on a new suit, I chuckle. "Al, it's like you don't even know me."

With a renewed sense of purpose, I head out. I need to see a man about a myth.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #115
Andy C.
Repent, Harlequin!

"They just keep coming," I mutter to myself as I try to contain a panicked child whose body had turned completely into electrical energy.

As we try to contain the lightning child, enormous clouds of noxious yellow smoke erupt a few blocks down. In another direction, giant vines shoot up out of the ground. People fly past, or run at super-speed, or pass through walls or sink into the ground. This is not going well.

As an Amazon, I have spent my entire life fighting against the forces of evil. I was chosen to become Wonder Woman because I was the very best among my people in the arts of combat. And while the Justice League's mission if ultimately one of peace, I would be dishonest with myself if I did not admit that I find my greatest joy when I am in battle against creatures of the dark. It is, after all, quite literally what I was made to do.

This, however? There is no joy in this battle. Most of these people are innocent, unable to control their new abilities, acting out of panic and fear. The very people we are trying to help are the same that we must fight.

I call out to Gardner, "Lantern! I don't suppose your ring can construct some form of lightning rod?"

For a moment I roll my eyes at the inevitable "rod" jokes that Gardner is sure to make. Then I switch on my communicator to speak with my other compatriots within the League.

"Have we found the person behind the outbreak? As much as I wish to help, I believe my talents are more suited to inflicting damage than preventing it."

Andy C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #116
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C. View Post

For a moment I roll my eyes at the inevitable "rod" jokes that Gardner is sure to make. Then I switch on my communicator to speak with my other compatriots within the League.

"Have we found the person behind the outbreak? As much as I wish to help, I believe my talents are more suited to inflicting damage than preventing it."
"Diana, I think I've found the source of the outbreak. Can you meet me on the outskirts of the city?"

I land on a lawn of a house down the block from the source of the signal.

"Batman is on the way as well, but I think I you can get here a bit quicker."

Old 11-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #117
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

The doors slide open after I type in the code. But no one pays me any attention. I don't mind, though. I'd rather have them so focused on their work that they don't realize when their employer has walked into their lab.

"Oh, Mister Luthor. Um, hello. I wasn't expecting you today." At the mention of my name, I can feel the tension in the room jump noticeably, and everyone looks as if their working doubly hard. And I notice a couple of screens quickly switch from whatever they were on when I walked in.

"I wasn't aware I needed an appointment to visit my labs, Emil."
I walk straight towards Hamilton's office, and he follows behind me.

Professor Hamilton's eyes grow wide. "OH. Um, that's not what I meant-"

I give him a small grin to diffuse the situation. "It's ok, Emil. I didn't come down here for an update. I was wondering if you had been paying attention to the news at all."

"Yes, of course. I get regular updates on my phone."

"...Have you checked your phone today?"

"...oh, right." He quickly pulls out his phone and stumbles to turn it on. I take a deep breath. Emil might be quirky, but his brilliance more than makes up for it. Add to that the fact he doesn't realize how underpaid he is. It's another benefit of having someone who only really cares about his work.

"So...I assume you came down here because of the situation in San Diego?"

I cross my arms. "It's certainly not for the rumors who Bruce Wayne is currently dating."

"Oh, who's he...uh, never mind."

"Put together a team. I want you out there in San Diego."

"You want us out there? Where the entire population has become a dangerous mess of meta powers?"

"Yes. I want you and your team to gather samples, collect data, and do whatever you need in order to figure out what's going on."

"But...the danger-"

"The 'heroes' are there now. I'm certain they'll have the situation well in hand by the time you get there. They 'always' do."

"But, Mr. Luthor-"

"Have your team ready within the hour. My private jet will be fueled and ready by then."

"Private jet-"

"You'll be in charge, and have all the resources, of the Los Angeles branch of LexCorp sciences."

"Los Angeles-"

"You're the only one I can trust with this. Once you're finished, I want all analysis and research done here. And keep this quiet."

"Quiet-"

"Very good. I'll expect your initial report by tomorrow."

"Tomorrow-"

"Also,"
I point out through his office window, "I want you to fire those two immediately. I don't pay them to play games or talk to their friends online."

"Fire-"

"I'm looking forward to your findings." And I walk out of the office, leaving Hamilton to catch up with the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #118
Harlekin
Business

“That doesn’t seem right.”

“Hmm?” The man sitting behind the desk looked up reluctantly. The representative of the Bureau of Indian Affairs was leaning back in his chair, chewing gum and reading a magazine with the word ‘Pokeahotass’ on the cover.
“This permit, look at it,” Red Raven replied, holding up the file. He was still short of breath, the Batsmobile having broken down ten miles from the office. It had already been past noon and the registry offices of the Bureau were only open between twelve and two. “Oswald Cobblepot doesn’t sound very Indian to me.”
The man shrugged, leaning over to look at the file. “Says here he part Cherokee.”
Red Raven looked at the attached picture again, showing a man with a long crooked nose. It had a monocle resting on it. The forms outlined the permit for the new casino, called the Iceberg Lounge. A few investors were named, mostly from outside of the reservation. The only exception was Washington Grey Hawk Looking Down.
“What can you give me on this guy?” Red Raven asked, pointing out the name to the officer. In turn, the man looked to the side. There was a big clock on the wall, its pointers set for a quarter to two. The man sighed.

Sixteen minutes later, Red Raven was leaving the registry office with a small folder of copies under his arm. The door slammed shut behind him and the shutters closed right after. The hero could hear the first can of many being popped as he walked away.

“And a nice day to you too, Little Raven,” the officer said with a burp as he walked away in the opposite direction. To the Red Prairie bar, where cheap booze, whores and drugs were waiting for him.

Red Raven’s father, meanwhile, was working at the hospital. When he wasn’t being Chief Man-of-Bats (and in some respects, he always was), William Great Eagle was a doctor at the local hospital. Right about now was when the first time drunks would start coming in, having hurt themselves or others. But for now, William Great Eagle didn’t have to concern himself with them. There was a little boy waiting for him.

“Hello, Daniel,” the doctor said as he came into the room. The little boy’s eyes lighted up immediately at the sight of the hero, who even in his white coat looked bigger and stronger than anyone else. Daniel was sitting on a bed, his right leg in a thick white cast.
“Hello, Chief Doctor, uh… Doctor Chief.”
“Doctor will do, son,”
William Great Eagle responded as he kneeled down beside the child and started examining the cast. “How’s it feel?”
“Itchy.”
The doctor smiled.

“Oh, hello,” Daniel’s mother said as she also entered the room. She had a carton cup of coffee in her hand and seeing the doctor, immediately apologized. “I’m sorry, if I had known you were coming, I would’ve gotten you one too.”
William Great Eagle raised his hand and smiled again, softly. “Don’t worry about it, Kaylee,” he said as he stood up.
“But without you,” Kaylee said as she looked at her son, who was looking up at William. “Well, it could’ve been a lot worse.” She looked to the doctor again. “You’re a hero.”
William Great Eagle nearly blushed before responding: “Well, Daniel is the real hero here.” He tousled the boy’s hair. “He underwent that operation like a real trooper. You can be proud of him.”
William and Kaylee exchanged glances.
“Are you sure I can’t get you that coffee?”

At the same time, Red Raven was walking by the side of the road. He was reading the forms as he did so, a car occasionally sending them to the ground with a gust of wind. The sidekick was picking up a piece of paper when he happened onto the Batsmobile. He had parked the truck in an off-road ditch. The engine was still smoking when he had left it.

Now, it was gone. So was the car radio. The windows were smashed in, glass littered the seats. There was a scratch on the side, under which was written ‘Buttsmobile’ in purple graffiti.

“*&^%.”

Harlekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #119
Watchman
Adios, Cowboy

Slaughter Swamp, Years ago

"Bat-men and spacemen. Never thought I would live to see the day. Maybe I should get some of them to help me."

Silence from the oarsman.

Mickey Hammer had quit the GCPD a few years ago after one of his cases went straight to hell. Now tailing cheating husbands and wives he was stuck the in over exaggerated life of a private detective.Currently he was on the case of a lifetime. A few missing kids and the cops were too busy breaking up rival mob operations. A few hole in the walls later had lead him to an old cabin in Slaughter Swamp.

He ran his hand through the swamp as the boat pushed on. He swore that it wasn't water but some strange black liquid. Mickey took one of the black flowers out of the water.

"They say one grows for each body given to the swamp."

"You don't say." Mickey said, glancing over the waters noting the sheer amount of flowers. Superstitious horse****! The boat docked at a beaten a rundown cabin. Hammer let himself out. As he approached the door he heard his Charon shout.

"Careful, detective. This is the old Cyrus Gold place. The miser that liked children a bit too much. A mob sacrificed 'em to the swamp."

"And now Cyrus's ghost haunts the swamp cutting the heads off unsuspecting detectives? Spare me."

"I ain't seen any ghost, Hammer. Something else, something worse inhabits this swamp. The mob uses this place as an alter for their Black masses and Arkham's sewage run into here. The very machinations of hell are here."

"You know..." he turns around to notice that the boat and the oarsman is gone. He quickly takes out his pistol and approaches the door. He kicks it door.

"Anyone here? Come out now! That's your only warning!" A light had turned on in the other room. He slowly made his way into the kitchen. A woman was sobbing at the table. She was wearing a blood stain bathrobe and was unkempt. Hammer notices her right away.

"mom..." Another figured made his way in the doorway opposite of him.

"she can't hear you...suicides have a hard time..." Standing in the doorway was his father who died twenty years ago, choking on his own vomit. "...i'm gonna tear you to pieces boy my reward for luring you here my masters needed noble spirit." He charged, he fired. "ha you think that would do anything...." He looked down at the bullet wound and blood. "wait..."

"Looks liked the lied," Mickey couldn't help but smile. Swarms of insects grabbed his Father's back pulling back into the doorway.

"we're in hell hell."

"Good." It was time to leave. He would call in his final favors with the department and bring down the god damn S.W.A.T on this place. Before leaving he heard a child's laughter. He turned to the couch to wear it came from. Two black gloves grip the top and a lumbering figure pull himself up from it. A gaunt face with hollow eyes peered under a black wide-brimmed hat. He wore a long black coat and was covered in black from head to toe. Mickey was froze and this terrible figured slowly approached him. A door creaked. Three more men in suits walked out of the basement. They wore plastic masks- a goat, a fly, and a bat.

"The Infernal Machine clanks along and demands to be fed." The three figures nod. "We are everywhere you look, the disease of life, the corruption of good." The preacher pushes him out the door. The swamp is no longer there but has been replaced with a vortex of swirling colors. Pods litter the area around them.

"The scales have been tipped. Defenders of the land have risen and now our agents must act."
"Out of my way!" Frankenstein bellowed. Pushing S.H.A.D.E agents out of the way, making his way toward Time's office. He storms pass Ray Palmer who is holding a bucket of strange crab like creatures.

"You're welcome." He says as the monster storms pass him.

"Don't mind, Frank, Ray. He's just a little on edge that we were left with no help to fight the cult's necroweapons and with giant laser pointing down at us. I very much appreciate it."

"Well your very much welcome, Nina. I know Time thinks we're mostly expendable but I couldn't leave you two stranded there. Well, I'm off to feed the Wyurms. This is my reward for my good deeds."

"I'll join you. I think feeding giant carnivorous space bugs will be more pleasant than whatever is going to happen between those two."
"Father." Frankenstein stands in the office's doorway. Time ignores him for the moment. His avatar- he figure that a Japanese school girl was not the best fit when addressing world leaders or bureaucrats so he pattern a robotic decoy after the appearance and voice of Ving Rhames.

"I'm sorry Prime Minister but we're going to have to continue this at another time." The screen goes black and he turns to Frank. "Disobeying orders, we could have that thing running around Ant Farm and America as we speak. You almost jeopardized all of S.H.A.D.E. You should be on your knees!" Frankenstein's fist crushes Time's desk.

"I am not your puppet, Time."

"Oh but you are. When I say jump, you ask how high. When I say kill the horrific unstoppable creature before coming back here you fry with it if that is the case. My budgets have been cut, I have to reduce this operation to a stable of freaks. Outbreaks are happening all over the world and I'm spreading manpower thin. If someone kicks the bucket I can't replace them. Firing the Global Orbital Defense system has brought us more trouble from the international community and my bosses, ungrateful....so if you disobey me again I'll chop you up so I can finally learn Victor's secrets." Frankenstein picks up Time and pins him against the wall.

"Never mention his name again."

"Heh...daddy issues."

"If you two can stop bickering I could use some backup." the voice came from psychic net.

"Wife?"

"Ex..."

"Bride you have agents Velcoro and Griffth to take care of some punks trying to replicate super villain weapons."

"Well the situation has exacerbated itself."
San Diego, moments ago.

I can see atoms play among themselves. Radio waves dance in the air. Smell flies feast off the corpses that I left miles away. I'm a superhero. I am the Superman.

The 600 pound man blessed with the powers of a god gorges himself among the his contraband. The burger joint was his after taking care of the bullies, the people who always looked at him, stared at him, made fun of him when he came in. He was going to teach them all a lesson. The next stop was Ohio. Those bullies pretending they were that woman, teasing him, laughing at him. After that maybe Mark Zuckerberg for creating that thing. He flew into the air and in seconds was in the suburb where they were located.

"Now, who thought creating second-rate super weapons was a good idea?" the Bride ask the trio.

"I want to see my lawyer!" One blurted. He found himself face to face with a bat creature.

"I say we feed him to the dog. Time wasting our time with these punks."

"Resources are spread thin and we are hoping for a better success rate with smaller operations, Velcoro. Besides they might have been supplying weapons to cult members."

"Whatever you say, dog scout." the superman crashes into the ground creating a thunderous shockwave.

"There you are. BURN!" His eyes glow red and the three are fried. He points a bloated finger at the Bride. "You...you're a superhero just like me. You will be my bride in my utopia..." the Bride takes out four magnums and fires.

"I'm sick of that word."

"You're bullies...monsters....villains." He hovers in the air. "I'll show you what I do to bullies."

"Oh fan-bloodly-tastic." Velcoro takes flight. Griffth howls.

"Hold on I'm calling for back up."

Old 11-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #120
Franklin Richards
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C. View Post

"They just keep coming," I mutter to myself as I try to contain a panicked child whose body had turned completely into electrical energy.

As we try to contain the lightning child, enormous clouds of noxious yellow smoke erupt a few blocks down. In another direction, giant vines shoot up out of the ground. People fly past, or run at super-speed, or pass through walls or sink into the ground. This is not going well.

As an Amazon, I have spent my entire life fighting against the forces of evil. I was chosen to become Wonder Woman because I was the very best among my people in the arts of combat. And while the Justice League's mission if ultimately one of peace, I would be dishonest with myself if I did not admit that I find my greatest joy when I am in battle against creatures of the dark. It is, after all, quite literally what I was made to do.

This, however? There is no joy in this battle. Most of these people are innocent, unable to control their new abilities, acting out of panic and fear. The very people we are trying to help are the same that we must fight.

I call out to Gardner, "Lantern! I don't suppose your ring can construct some form of lightning rod?"

"I'll show you my rod later, sweet cheeks, but for now we gotta put this kid down. Amirite??"

Bwwaaahahahaa!

"Bwwaaahahahaa! I've shown you fire. It's time to switch gears."

Guy concentrates and a faucet appears above the lightning kid. A green hand twists the device and emerald liquid flows out and drenches the lightning powered child.

Sparks fly and hisses as the child cries out and finally extinguishes and collapses to the ground. Guy flies over and his white glove disappears. He presses his two fingers to the boys neck and then straightens up.

"Wonder Woman. He's... he's not..."

Guy looks up for the first time. A foreign look on his face and tears in his eyes.

"He's not breathing."

Franklin Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:50 AM   #121
Supergirl
The Maid of Might

Not ready. Flowering jerkface. I am too, ready. But if he doesn't want me to be part of his little boy's club right now? Fine. After Bruce hung up on me, I left the cave. I came to get some guidance, some retraining, but I leave with my ego bruised more than my body. I decide that if they don't want me going after the Joker, then screw it, I'll start working on Dick's case.

After I land on the rooftop, I pull out my phone. Smart phones are amazing. More computing power in a handheld device than in Bruce's first Batcomputer, the one that took up an entire wall at the cave. I look up the Professor Pryzbylewski that Bruce recommended, and just my luck, he just got done teaching a night class. If I get there quick, I can probably catch him.

...Are you gonna get it up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bruce
I'll try.
Supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:31 AM   #122
Bounce
DC RPG Slacker

- Previously, in the World’s Finest RPG -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
"...Robin is being confined to Wayne Manor unless I'm there to go out on patrol with him..."
Quote:
"I should have had him."

I slam my fist down onto the table, barely able to sit still as Alfred tends to my wounds.

"Master Richard, if not for your efforts tonight, dozens of people would have been murdered by that psychopath." Alfred finishes stitching up the gash on my shoulder.

"I would consider that a job well done."

"Bruce would have--"
I begin, cut off as Alfred pushes his finger a little too hard into my skin when checking the sutures.

"And Master Bruce would most definitely agree."

"He mentioned Barbara and I almost..."
I sigh, hanging my head.

"But you didn't, Master Richard." Alfred smiled, removing his gloves and throwing them in a garbage bin. "Your parents raised you well. All three of them."

I smile and, for a moment, I don't hate myself.

"Aside from a few cuts and bruises, you seem to be fine. That's not to say I don't wish you would relax the rest of the night."

Jumping off the table and throwing on a new suit, I chuckle. "Al, it's like you don't even know me."

With a renewed sense of purpose, I head out. I need to see a man about a myth.

- Now -
The Batcave
Gotham City

Richard was home.

Not the false trappings of a life lived in luxury which existed purely for the sake of the public eye, but the family’s real home – carved in the darkness and shadows of a dank cave that lay underneath the surface of everyone’s preconceptions.

It should have meant something to Damian. Richard was his brother, albeit not by blood or by choice. Richard had been his partner, the first of the family to extend any trust toward him. Though Damian had claimed the title of Robin before, it was Richard who had supported him for that role in the Dynamic Duo.

All of that being true, Damian supposed in retrospect that he ought to have at least said two words to Richard. Instead, the boy had gone about his business in the Cave as though the last of the Flying Graysons didn’t even exist.

In the back of his mind, Damian couldn’t shake the feeling that Richard was there in part to spy on him for father. To check that Damian was being a ‘good boy’ and was where he was supposed to be.

Damian wondered why father didn’t just commit him to Arkam Asylum or some other prison. This model of house arrest was certainly a form of detention.

Staying at the mansion and being homeschooled by Pennyworth was a barely adequate solution to a proper education for the future chairman of the Wayne Foundation, but the purpose behind his home schooling was supposed to be so to cover for Damian’s nightlife as the costumed vigilante named and instituted by none other than Richard.

Even from where he practiced his combat routines in the back of the Cave, Damian was aware of Grayson and Gordon's respective departures. And he was glad to see them leave. One less set of eyes placing him under a perpetual microscope to compare how he stacked on against the vaulted standards of Bruce ‘goddamn Batman’ Wayne.

At least Damian had known where he stood when Richard had been Batman. Living in the shadow of his father’s expectations, where reality wrestled against Damian’s preconceived notions about the man he’d heard to be his father, it occurred to the boy that he was always happier when his blood relatives were missing or presumed dead.

At least Grayson and Gordan both had the good sense to give the boy a wide berth while they had been visiting the home of this supposed Batman Family. The last thing Damian wanted were false sentimentalities that existed mostly only in father’s head. Instead Damian did what he did every night since he'd been benched by the Bat, pushing himself through combat training above what the Cave was designed to support.

There was a smell of blood in the air, the boy’s sword routines having caught a stray bat as Damian moved through the various forms and techniques that had been instilled in him by the League, traditions borrowed from batou-jutsu, Chito-ryu Karate, Jeet Kune Do, and Wushu… just to name a few. The gleam of fresh blood running down the edge of a blade, the feel of it splashing his face… this was indeed home.

“Master Damian.”

Before Pennyworth had finished, the butt of the sword’s scabbard was pressed against his chest, the edge of the sword itself resting at an angle just a hair short of the butler’s neck. Damian’s mind having already calculated the variables, constructing the scene that he might enact like an artist contemplating an empty canvas. Blow to the rib cage to distract. Sever the carotid artery in the neck. Take the man’s legs out from underneath him.

Was Damian actually thinking about it? The fact that the instruments were in place was enough to answer the question. But he hadn’t done it. Instead, Damian just regarded the manservant with a blank expression for a moment.

“I should think that your dog is in need of tending.”

The scabbard and the sword were removed, Damian casually slinging the blood from the blade before sheathing the weapon and casting it aside like a used tissue. Silently, the boy strode past the butler and made his way over to a bottle of water. “It’s not my dog,” he stated in quiet protest, taking a long drink.

“Your father gave him to you. He is your responsibility.”

Lowering the water bottle, Damian merely began to walk away without looking back at Alfred. “My father made the choice to procure the animal. He then chooses to push his responsibilities for it off on me.”

“Because it was your reward,” Alfred countered simply. “To say that he is proud of you.”

The Justice League in California and Richard off to battle the Joker alone, while Damian was left at home to play chess with Pennyworth and do his homework. Yes, clearly Batman was proud of his Robin. So much so that he was grounded at best and imprisoned at worst. Damian paused his step, contemplating whether to correct the manservant, but it was of no consequence.

Pennyworth was hardly worth Damian’s time, let alone the man’s ill-conceived notions about Bruce Wayne’s paternal inclinations toward the son he’d only recently claimed.

“I feel like going for a walk anyway,” Damian said finally, resuming his walk toward the exit to the mansion above.

Currently into: Journey Into Mystery, Batman & Robin, Nightwing

Last edited by Bounce; 11-24-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #123
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
"I'm at the other side of the city, Superman. I'll try to head over there, but it may take me a while. You'd best go ahead without me and see what you can do."

Batman hated to acknowledge his own weakness, but in this situation every second counted, and these people needed to be a priority.
He couldn't get there in the blink of an eye like Superman, but Batman could navigate his way around a city in a way that, before too long, he had arrived at Flanders Drive in Mira Mesa. He spotted Superman, standing in the front lawn of one of the quiet suburban houses that made up this street, and approached him.

"This isn't the kind of place you'd expect to find as the source of such chaos. Which, I imagine, is precisely the point."

Old 11-24-2011, 05:23 PM   #124
MST3K 4ever
BRING IT BACK!

The Joker continues licking his wounds and taking stock of his rampage.

Let's see lots and lots of mayhem, picked some good peices of coin, and laid a big ol' beatdown on one of the Bats Brats. All in all not a bad way to kick off my comeback tour.

He begins studying the online reports and nods as he reads through the postings.

Not bad at all, but I still think there's more room for improvement. A good performer is always looking to improve.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #125
Bounce
DC RPG Slacker

Stately Wayne Manor
Gotham City

The pervasive existence of filth that permeated the mundane world was even present in the immaculately maintained grounds of the ancestral Wayne home. Damian’s foot connecting with a discarded can as he strolled out onto the expansive property. The dirty aluminum flying through the air with the stupid mongrel dog of his father’s choosing taking inane chase, its motion through the air awakening the dull instincts of the great dane. The young Wayne could only watch in a kind of apathetic awe at how something of such insignificance could attract the lesser mind.

Damian was certain of one thing. He didn’t get it.

He didn’t understand why his father was so protective of people so insignificant, his interest in Richard Grayson, Jason Todd, or Timothy Drake. Or even Jim Gordon, who ought to have merely been a tool to be used or discarded as the situation dictated.

There were no friends. Friends were just useful tools that would eventually become liabilities.

Family was little more than a tenuous connection of random genetics and sentimentalities that were used to manipulate and control the people that were simultaneously most likely to both trust and betray you.

Father would, of course, disagree with all of the above. Claim that he was different than Mother was, but the longer that Damian spent in the ‘Batman Family’ the more the distinction between the two seemed only different shades of gray. At least Mother was honest about her manipulation and intent. She would place herself at the top of the world, and give that world to Damian as a birthday cake… provided he did as he was instructed.

Father would martyr himself for the world, for what… Damian was just supposed to know. The ubiquitous righteousness of the Batman was a standard that the boy was certain he could never live up to, its tenants shrouded in secret upon secret and the distance that Father maintained between them.

Father was never honest with Damian, not even honest about being dishonest. And so Damian couldn’t be honest with Father either.

There were aliens among them capable of feats unimaginable by human endeavor. Beings that styled themselves as ‘New Gods’ that manipulated events in the cosmic galaxy. Organizations of self-styled police that patrolled whole galaxies. Yet, knowing all of this, Father still maintained a single-minded focus on the crime in just one city, mourned what had happened to Bludhaven, and seem to hold fast to some asinine precept that every single human life was precious.

Every life was precious.

Even when Dick had been Batman, it was a central truth to how and why the Dynamic Duo did what they did which Damian could only give lip-service to. The strong fed upon the weak, predators stalked like dark gods amid the prey, and the only fair thing about life was that it was unfair for everyone. Power had to be seized, society controlled, by those with vision of the way in which the world ought to be ruled. It was the way of things.

Democracy only leant itself to meaningless people achieving meager power they then abused to control the insignificant segment of society they held sway upon. And could Father really claim to support that? Father, who worked outside the law enacted democratically by the society he would claim to stand up for.

Indeed, Father very easily ignored those laws he found got in his way. His was a moral code of his own conflicted construct, which was supposed to be ethically superior to that of the League’s vision.

Really, the means were the same. It was only the ends that were different.

The dane’s muzzle brushed against the boy’s hand, drawing the young Wayne out of his brooding. Staring down, the blue-eyed assassin was unsurprisingly presented with the gift of trash. Taking the beaten can from the animals sloppy jaws, Damian held the rubbish and watched as the dog sat back, tail wagging, as though eager to have its golden calf hoisted to the air once more.

“tt”

What an appropriate metaphor. Rearing back a leg, Damian acquiesced to the canine’s ambling desires – sending the dane chasing after its treasured filth. A look of disgust crossed the child’s features, as he looked over at his palm now slick with the dog’s saliva.

A piece of paper blew across the mansion drive, striking against the youth’s ankle. Bending down, Damian snapped the dingy document up intending to wipe his hand off on it.

It was an advertisement for a concert. Downplat was playing in New York. Tomorrow.

Damian blinked. While he ordinarily did not concern himself with such trappings of common society, he did have several Downplat songs on his iPhone. It was a form of musical expression that was acceptably within Damian’s own tastes, better than the ancient lyrical monstrosities Pennyworth listened to or the archaic musical forms preferred by Father.

Father’s directions had been explicit, of course. Damian was forbidden to go on patrol as Robin without Father being present. Father had never actually said that Damian was restricted to the mansion proper, it was just that Damian really had no where better to be. So if Damian Wayne were to go to New York to see Downplat in concert… it wouldn’t be against his father’s stated desires.

Damian could, of course, always ask permission to go to the concert. Which would entail, most likely, Pennyworth accompanying him to the event.

Yes. On second thought, it was better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Currently into: Journey Into Mystery, Batman & Robin, Nightwing
Bounce is offline   Reply With Quote