The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 11-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Question Superman's Metropolis Debut

So we have all seen the pics of Clark rescuing people on what looks to be an Oil Rig, and frankly I think that will make for a spectacular sequence.

Now this begs the question of what heroic act should Superman perform when he is first revealed to Metropolis?

Tradition of course says the plane rescue but I think even SR's biggest detractors would admit they did a good job of that sequence, so what other ideas do fans have on how Superman should first wow Metropolis?

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Shabadoo
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman's Metropolis Debut

Building collapse? Meteor shower?

Shabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabadoo View Post
Building collapse? Meteor shower?
How about a meteor shower which hits a plane, and that plane crashes into a building and Superman catches the building, saving the people in the plane AND the building, while at the same time obliterating all of the meteors into dust.

Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
Shabadoo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
How about a meteor shower which hits a plane, and that plane crashes into a building and Superman catches the building, saving the people in the plane AND the building, while at the same time obliterating all of the meteors into dust.
Hahaha, well clearly, that's ludicrous because the people in the plane would most surely die. Everything else is TOTALLY plausible, though.

Seriously, though... a meteor shower, or maybe a single asteroid works better, hitting a building and Supes having to save the people in the building AND on the ground...

Something like this sprung to mind:

Shabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Superman2007
Side-Kick

I'd like to see Superman save Metropollis from some Kryptonian, aerial vehicles that have the city under siege.

Superman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
EtherMagic
Side-Kick

Quote:

Hahahaha Wow man that was funny! lol He may need a little help from his fellow Justice League partners for that one! lol

I really like the Idea that this takes place on December 21st 2012 when the world is supposed to end (Mayan Calender).

It's about to be the end of humanity and life on earth as we know it. A giant planet is about to smash into earth (sort-of like the big bang, how a Mars size planet Collided with earth and made the moon type deal) and destroy all life on earth.

Now, at this point, no one knows who Superman is yet, humans are unaware of his presence. Humanity at this point is rushing for a solution to take out this on coming disaster but cannot come up with one.

This is all taking place when Clark just discovers he has became Superman and discovers his flying abilities after the whole Oil Rig disaster.

Humanity fails to come up with a solution to evade this disaster, this world ending Planet is only 200,000 miles from earth about to strike (out of all places) Metropolis!!! It is minutes to impact, the entire world see's this massive red ball headed toward earth, thousands of meteors are slamming into earth making way for the big one, the sky looks to be on fire, then out of no where the people of Metropolis hear a massive sonic boom, they see this man with a red cape shooting into the sky, darting straight for this incoming Planet to take it head on!

Then out of no-where, this massive planet starts moving away from earth, the big red Ball shoots away at and alarming rate and explodes!....Then the man in the Red cape shoots back down to earth, after saving the Planet from total annihilation, greets earths population with a smile on his face, shares Ice-Cream with everyone and invites all of humanity to a S'mores roast with him by a camp fire that was started by one of the meteors!

The End

I like it!

Last edited by EtherMagic; 11-07-2011 at 03:02 PM.
EtherMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

A major bridge collapse, perhaps one like the Manhattan bridge where trains cross it.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Superman 1265
Side-Kick

Quote:
And he does all that while chewing gum.

Superman 1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I think the end of the world senario would be awesome. Just think people holding hands, kissing each other good bye, news coverage on tv's and then just before it hits you see the red and blue blur flying into the meteor......

Old 11-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabadoo View Post
Hahaha, well clearly, that's ludicrous because the people in the plane would most surely die. Everything else is TOTALLY plausible, though.

Seriously, though... a meteor shower, or maybe a single asteroid works better, hitting a building and Supes having to save the people in the building AND on the ground...

Something like this sprung to mind:

Exactly the kind of thing I was imagining

Except I saw it as an explosion inside a building rather than something hitting a building.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #11
Nevaratoiel
I don't bite... hard.

A plane hitting a building. Makes me think of something else... Well, that was two planes, but who can tell the difference.

I really like that picture, though.

Taylor Kitsch.org | Elfae.com
Nevaratoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #12
elgaz
Side-Kick

I don't think they'll have a plane hitting a building, it would probably be seen as bad taste.

And in fairness, SR did do a very good job of the plane save - so MOS may not have a plane involved in anything at all, they may want to distance themselves from SR and try something totally new.

As Zod is in the film, they might save Superman's Metropolis introduction for a battle against Zod & co in the city.

elgaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #13
not_a_victim
Side-Kick

I've had this idea for a teaser for a Supes movie for a long time, but it could make a good introduction. However, it relies on the "geeky" incarnation of Clark, which we may not be getting with this movie...
A tightly framed shot of Clark walking down the street, nose buried in a Daily Planet newspaper, seemingly unaware of his surroundings. He is startled by something off screen, he looks up from his paper, and he is in the middle of and active building fire scene. The building is fully engulfed, with scores of fire fighters scrambling around. The CHief orders all personnel out of the building, as it is a lost cause, and the fire is out of control. Clark hears an infant cry from inside the building, and scans the building with X-ray vision to locate the child. As there is so much chaos at the scene, Clark manages to slip inside the building without being seen. From outside the building, the camera follows him laterally through the building. We get glimpses of Clark as he passes by windows. His clothes catch fire and begin to burn while he is still wearing them. We see a large explosion/flashover. Clark completely disappears, and we can no longer hear the child crying. The camera continues to move laterally across the outside of the building, and comes to rest at the front door, opposite of where Clark entered the building. The camera is now at knee height. A couple more puffs of smoke, fire, and debris come out of the door. The distraught mother is wailing over her child at this door, being held back by fire crew. The typical, "There's nothing we can do" statements from the fire crew to the mother.
Cue the first eight notes of the classic theme, at half tempo. Out of the smoke steps a red boot, followed by the second. The camera SLOWLY pans up from boot level to reveal Supes' suit, as his Clark clothes have burned off completely. The camera pauses at his chest. We don't see the symbol, because his cape is bundled in front of his chest. He opens his arms, revealing the \S/, and the infant, safely swaddled in the cape. Supes hands the baby to his mother.

Cue the "Who the heck is that?" from the crowd and the fire crew. The Chief yells, "Get away, the building is coming down!" Supes turns to look, and the building is listing to one side. Underneath where it will fall, is a school/church/old folks' home. Supes flies away from the building, but returns to the interior, punching through walls to make the building fall straight down, rather than fall on the other building. ( I really don't see him "catching" the building, but it could work)
Yeah, it's cliched, but it shows his "nice" side before the rather public brawl it looks like he is going to have against Zod and his crew...

Last edited by not_a_victim; 11-08-2011 at 08:35 AM.
not_a_victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #14
SuperFerret
Class Act

Shouldn't save his reveal for a moment where he's fighting other Kryptonians. Nobody would trust him after that, and most would think he's the monster.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #15
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_victim View Post
I've had this idea for a teaser for a Supes movie for a long time, but it could make a good introduction. However, it relies on the "geeky" incarnation of Clark, which we may not be getting with this movie...
A tightly framed shot of Clark walking down the street, nose buried in a Daily Planet newspaper, seemingly unaware of his surroundings. He is startled by something off screen, he looks up from his paper, and he is in the middle of and active building fire scene. The building is fully engulfed, with scores of fire fighters scrambling around. The CHief orders all personnel out of the building, as it is a lost cause, and the fire is out of control. Clark hears an infant cry from inside the building, and scans the building with X-ray vision to locate the child. As there is so much chaos at the scene, Clark manages to slip inside the building without being seen. From outside the building, the camera follows him laterally through the building. We get glimpses of Clark as he passes by windows. His clothes catch fire and begin to burn while he is still wearing them. We see a large explosion/flashover. Clark completely disappears, and we can no longer hear the child crying. The camera continues to move laterally across the outside of the building, and comes to rest at the front door, opposite of where Clark entered the building. The camera is now at knee height. A couple more puffs of smoke, fire, and debris come out of the door. The distraught mother is wailing over her child at this door, being held back by fire crew. The typical, "There's nothing we can do" statements from the fire crew to the mother.
Cue the first eight notes of the classic theme, at half tempo. Out of the smoke steps a red boot, followed by the second. The camera SLOWLY pans up from boot level to reveal Supes' suit, as his Clark clothes have burned off completely. The camera pauses at his chest. We don't see the symbol, because his cape is bundled in front of his chest. He opens his arms, revealing the \S/, and the infant, safely swaddled in the cape. Supes hands the baby to his mother.

Cue the "Who the heck is that?" from the crowd and the fire crew. The Chief yells, "Get away, the building is coming down!" Supes turns to look, and the building is listing to one side. Underneath where it will fall, is a school/church/old folks' home. Supes flies away from the building, but returns to the interior, punching through walls to make the building fall straight down, rather than fall on the other building. ( I really don't see him "catching" the building, but it could work)
Yeah, it's cliched, but it shows his "nice" side before the rather public brawl it looks like he is going to have against Zod and his crew...
It sounds like a nice scene (apart from the classic theme music, just not my taste), but personally I'd prefer it to be something a bit more unusual or original.

I mean, Spiderman 2 had the 'saving a baby from a burning building' heroism.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 11-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #16
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Some good ideas in here.

Personally I'd go for an out of control bullet train. The set up being that it's being launched in Metroplis after years of development, Lois is there to cover it on it's maiden journey around the City, something goes wrong though and it hurtles out of control.

Having recently seen Unstoppable I think an out of control speeding train can be a visual juggernaut in a movie, and I think seeing Superman flying alongside it trying to keep it on the tracks and steady until he can find a way to stop it and get the people off would be visually stunning.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #17
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaratoiel View Post
A plane hitting a building. Makes me think of something else... Well, that was two planes, but who can tell the difference.

I really like that picture, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
I don't think they'll have a plane hitting a building, it would probably be seen as bad taste.

And in fairness, SR did do a very good job of the plane save - so MOS may not have a plane involved in anything at all, they may want to distance themselves from SR and try something totally new.

As Zod is in the film, they might save Superman's Metropolis introduction for a battle against Zod & co in the city.
Come on guys, I wasn't being serious. I have more sense that that! I guess I should have used the instead of . My bad.

Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I imagine his first heroic feats and revelation wont be all peachy afterwards.

I hope some people will be just as freaked about his arrival as they are about whatever they're rescued from.
Would be cool if they just stared at him in disbelief and he would be looking back insecurely, like the freak he's possible seen himself as when he was a teen.
Maybe he wont actually be called a hero until late in the movie when the **** really hits the fan.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #19
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

You wonder if Metropolis will play as much of a big role as previous films, it almost seems like we're going to see more action in Smallville.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #20
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
You wonder if Metropolis will play as much of a big role as previous films, it almost seems like we're going to see more action in Smallville.
Well there was one video in Chicago of extras screaming and running down a street, and another one of extras looking up in the sky.

And it may just be the case that security was tighter in Chicago, so we didn't get as many set pics/vids as we did in Smallville.

*\S/T*
Old 11-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
Superman_200
Superman

I would like it to be against Zod. I am hoping that Zod's CGI armor suit looks something similar to the mechanical monsters from the Fleischer Superman cartoons.

I'd love to see Snyder give Superman the "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" look, even if the characters are set in today's world.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

A reference to that episode with Zod as the villain in the mechanical monster would be pretty interesting I think.

In a live action version, I would imagine it would look similar to this:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #22
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

If they're going for a arc where Superman has to earn the trust and support of Metropolis's inhabitants, then I'd see people being silenced and just in awe (for good or for worse) when they first see Superman full on with his powers and such and that it's only AFTER Superman defeats Zod that he ends up receiving the traditional crowd cheers for the first time.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #23
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Some good ideas in here.

Personally I'd go for an out of control bullet train. The set up being that it's being launched in Metroplis after years of development, Lois is there to cover it on it's maiden journey around the City, something goes wrong though and it hurtles out of control.

Having recently seen Unstoppable I think an out of control speeding train can be a visual juggernaut in a movie, and I think seeing Superman flying alongside it trying to keep it on the tracks and steady until he can find a way to stop it and get the people off would be visually stunning.
Someone either really loved the new Action Comics # 1 or this is a startling coincidence. I love train scene though.

DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #24
Frontier
Arkham Asylum Inmate

The plane has been done to death, but whatever debut actions he takes, it needs to showcase his flying.

I doubt they'll do a building in danger, building collapse. Ever since 911, no one has much of an appetite for seeing buildings collapse... I wouldn't expect to see that done much in films for another 20 years.

Meteors = Smallville did that.

Space shuttle... program is done and Returns did a good job on that.

Helicopter, the first Reeve film did...

They could do the school bus full of kids hanging off a bridge thing... I mean, they did it once but it's a good one that hasn't been over-tread too much.

Ooh, here's an idea: suspension bridge collapse. Only Supes gets there in time, and as the main cable goes he grabs each end and holds them together - holding the bridge up as people are running - they all stop stunned before he has to remind them to actually, you know, get off the bridge lol.

Air show, skydiver performance, chute won't open and just before he hits the ground - swoop! Superman! Corny line about "Maybe you should leave the skies to the professionals" or some such, before he flies off.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #25
Scuba
Newbie First Class

I'd love to see this new Superman film treat an appearance by a flying man as a real shock to the world, forcing people to completely re-evaluate everything they thought about the universe, who we are, and if we're alone (which we're obviously not in this film). When this mysterious flying man appears with his strange alien garb and imposing physique, witnesses should be freaking out. Screaming like they're hallucinating, since there's no precedent for this.

I always thought Superman the Movie treated his debut as a little too "accepting" in the helicopter scene, but it went with the tone of the film so that's okay.

Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote