The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 11-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #26
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

Default Re: Penn State/Jerry Sandusky Child Sex Scandal

Interesting article
http://thatlawyerdude.blogspot.com/2....html?spref=fb

FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE 'SLEEP DEPRIVED' FANS OF . .
__T_H_E__ D_A_R_K__ K_N_I_G_H_T__
Yurka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #27
Poeman
Banned User

Paterno is at blame as the rest of the them in the administration...No moral decency here, he turned a blind eye for 10 year. LEAVE NOW JOE

Poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #28
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

The lengths the PSU alumni in this area are going to defend the actions of Paterno are almost as disturbing as what Sandusky did.

This wasn't a one time deal, there are 40 counts of abuse against that scumbag. How do you work that closely with someone that deranged for that many years and not have some inkling this type of thing is going on right under your nose?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #29
Poeman
Banned User

They fired the President, but did not get rid of Joe right now. How pathetic is that?

Ridiculous

Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #30
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
The lengths the PSU alumni in this area are going to defend the actions of Paterno are almost as disturbing as what Sandusky did.

This wasn't a one time deal, there are 40 counts of abuse against that scumbag. How do you work that closely with someone that deranged for that many years and not have some inkling this type of thing is going on right under your nose?
He (Sandusky) was in his last year when Joe heard of the shower incident, it was over the next 12 years that the majority of the abuses occured, when Paterno had no contact with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poeman View Post
They fired the President, but did not get rid of Joe right now. How pathetic is that?

Ridiculous
Have you even looked at all the evidence/reports?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #31
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Maybe legally Paterno didn't do anything wrong. But over 12 years and nothing ever happened to Sandusky other than not bringing boys into the the facility.

Didn't Paterno preach integrity? Why not follow up with the accusations? Or will the excuse, we weren't aware of the extent (rape) that occured?

Morally, Paterno didn't do what he was suppose to do. And yes I read that "lawyers" blog. Legality and Morality can be 2 different things.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #32
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Quote:

I'm sorry to hear that. As a PSU alumni myself, I'm embarrassed to be associated with an institution where the administrators put their football program above the wellbeing of innocent children. I've talked to other alumni who feel the same. I think Paterno could have and should have done more. He has a lot of power at PSU and could have put a stop to this right then and there if he wanted to.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #33
Poeman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurka View Post
He (Sandusky) was in his last year when Joe heard of the shower incident, it was over the next 12 years that the majority of the abuses occured, when Paterno had no contact with him.

Have you even looked at all the evidence/reports?
I just told you...This is not a legal accusation, but exactly what it looks like. Paterno did little as a higher authority on the matter. Absolutely disgusting. They are all scum and deserve to all be thrown out.

Its a ****ing travesty that Paterno is getting this graceful exit at the end of the season. He needs to go right now with the rest.

Sandusky was always in contact with Paterno by the way, the guy was his defensive coordinator. He was good friends with JoePa...The ****er made Linebacker U

Old 11-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #34
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
Maybe legally Paterno didn't do anything wrong. But over 12 years and nothing ever happened to Sandusky other than not bringing boys into the the facility.

Didn't Paterno preach integrity? Why not follow up with the accusations? Or will the excuse, we weren't aware of the extent (rape) that occured?

Morally, Paterno didn't do what he was suppose to do. And yes I read that "lawyers" blog. Legality and Morality can be 2 different things.
I think it really all has to do with what exactly McQueary said to Paterno. If he had said "Coach, Jerry is raping a boy in the shower", of course you would take that more seriously and hopefully take swift action to alert the authorities, but if McQueary told Joe what's being mentioned in the reports that he told him, that he saw Jerry in the shower with a boy and didn't elaborate on what exactly he saw, then I can't blame Joe for "only" alerting his highest authority. After all, raping a child is obviously a disgusting crime, but showering with one, however strange, is not.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #35
Poeman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
I'm sorry to hear that. As a PSU alumni myself, I'm embarrassed to be associated with an institution where the administrators put their football program above the wellbeing of innocent children. I've talked to other alumni who feel the same. I think Paterno could have and should have done more. He has a lot of power at PSU and could have put a stop to this right then and there if he wanted to.
Exactly...What is even more pathetic is the 1000 students who showed up outside Paterno's house and after he says "We should be praying for the victims"..................The students start singing "Living on a Prayer by Jon Bon Jovi"

First of all, how is it that we should all of a sudden pray for the victims Joepa, what about that kid who was getting raped that day why didnt you call the police and stand up to what is right.

There was a student who called the local radio here from Penn State who had said most kids were not like those 1000 outside Paterno's door...Most of those are simply denying any fault to a iconic figure. We as society get like this you know.

Remember Michael Jackson and the Candyland incident...People were supporting Jackson because he was famous. What a joke...As a Penn State Alum, it is hurtful I am sure.

I went to St Johns and I was ashamed when my basketball program was torn to shreds due to the team prostitute sex scandal and the illegal payouts to kids when Jarvis was around.

They need to clean this all up right now

Old 11-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #36
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

Quote:
I just told you...This is not a legal accusation, but exactly what it looks like. Paterno did little as a higher authority on the matter. Absolutely disgusting. They are all scum and deserve to all be thrown out.
What?

Quote:
Its a ****ing travesty that Paterno is getting this graceful exit at the end of the season. He needs to go right now with the rest.

Sandusky was always in contact with Paterno by the way, the guy was his defensive coordinator. He was good friends with JoePa...The ****er made Linebacker U
All of the accusations, except one, happened when Sandusky wasn't a part of Paterno's staff. I'm sure they were still acquaintances but it's not like Paterno gave Sandusky a steady supply of 10 year old boys.

I'm not saying Paterno's completely innocent, but it's not like he's the goddamn devil the way some are making him out to be. It's only because Paterno's in this position that he's being crucified, if McQueary had a higher position with the university he would most likely be dragged through the streets.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #37
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

Quote:
Exactly...What is even more pathetic is the 1000 students who showed up outside Paterno's house and after he says "We should be praying for the victims"..................The students start singing "Living on a Prayer by Jon Bon Jovi"

First of all, how is it that we should all of a sudden pray for the victims Joepa, what about that kid who was getting raped that day why didnt you call the police and stand up to what is right.

There was a student who called the local radio here from Penn State who had said most kids were not like those 1000 outside Paterno's door...Most of those are simply denying any fault to a iconic figure. We as society get like this you know.

Remember Michael Jackson and the Candyland incident...People were supporting Jackson because he was famous. What a joke...As a Penn State Alum, it is hurtful I am sure.

I went to St Johns and I was ashamed when my basketball program was torn to shreds due to the team prostitute sex scandal and the illegal payouts to kids when Jarvis was around.

They need to clean this all up right now
Because he didn't know there was a kid being raped, all he was told was Sandusky was in the shower with a boy. This is the difference in this whole situation.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #38
Poeman
Banned User

Quote:
What?

All of the accusations, except one, happened when Sandusky wasn't a part of Paterno's staff. I'm sure they were still acquaintances but it's not like Paterno gave Sandusky a steady supply of 10 year old boys.

I'm not saying Paterno's completely innocent, but it's not like he's the goddamn devil the way some are making him out to be. It's only because Paterno's in this position that he's being crucified, if McQueary had a higher position with the university he would most likely be dragged through the streets.
But the thing is McQueary will be gone from all this as well...The guy was also a Grad Assistant at the time. The thing is the school is not cleaning house right now with Paterno as well. they are getting rid of everyone else but him.

Dont you think there is something wrong with that? He has a voice, a statue, people listen to him. Where was he fighting against this to the police? He has 17 grandkids, what if Sandusky had pinned one of his own that day, what would he have done then?

This is all about pride and keeping the icon intact. In the end people won't remember the 2 national championships of JoePa, but the way his tenure ended with Penn State...Just unfair to the 9 or however many children that were affected that this guy who knew at the time did not stand up and dial 911.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #39
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

While we don't know exactly what Paterno was told, I find it hard to believe that Paterno was in the dark to what Sandusky was up to.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #40
Poeman
Banned User

Quote:
Because he didn't know there was a kid being raped, all he was told was Sandusky was in the shower with a boy. This is the difference in this whole situation.
According to the indictment, in 2002 a Penn State graduate assistant - now-assistant coach Mike McQueary - walked in on a ten-year-old boy being subjected to anal intercourse by Sandusky in the Lasch Football Building on the Penn State campus.

March 2, 2002
In the morning, the graduate assistant calls coach Joe Paterno and goes to Paterno's home, where he reports what he has seen.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...sex-abuse-case

Old 11-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #41
Poeman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
While we don't know exactly what Paterno was told, I find it hard to believe that Paterno was in the dark to what Sandusky was up to.
...Lets do some digging people.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #42
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Quote:
I think it really all has to do with what exactly McQueary said to Paterno. If he had said "Coach, Jerry is raping a boy in the shower", of course you would take that more seriously and hopefully take swift action to alert the authorities, but if McQueary told Joe what's being mentioned in the reports that he told him, that he saw Jerry in the shower with a boy and didn't elaborate on what exactly he saw, then I can't blame Joe for "only" alerting his highest authority. After all, raping a child is obviously a disgusting crime, but showering with one, however strange, is not.
Showering with a child (one who's not even his own) is not a crime? I could list a dozen things off the top of my head he could be charged with for that....

Old 11-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #43
Poeman
Banned User

Quote:
Showering with a child (one who's not even his own) is not a crime? I could list a dozen things off the top of my head he could be charged with for that....
he raped the boy, this was not a simply a shower with a child

Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #44
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Quote:
he raped the boy, this was not a simply a shower with a child
I realize that, but as Yurka states, if all Paterno was told was that Sandusky was showering with a 10 year old kid from the football camp, that still should've sent up red flags all over the place, and it likely gets him charged with a number of things from indecent exposure, endangering the well-being of a minor, etc. Paterno is no less guilty if it was just a shower than if it's full blown rape so I'm not sure how he's trying to defend him on that ground?

Me thinks Yurka's a little too close to this thing to see it clearly.

Last edited by The Incredible Hulk; 11-09-2011 at 02:55 PM.
The Incredible Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #45
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

Quote:
But the thing is McQueary will be gone from all this as well...The guy was also a Grad Assistant at the time. The thing is the school is not cleaning house right now with Paterno as well. they are getting rid of everyone else but him.
Dont you think there is something wrong with that? He has a voice, a statue, people listen to him. Where was he fighting against this to the police? He has 17 grandkids, what if Sandusky had pinned one of his own that day, what would he have done then?[/QUOTE]

Based on what McQueary told him, he took that information to essentially the head of campus police, his boss. Why should the responsibility be on Paterno for not doing more? They are the ones who should be persecuted, and rightfully so, will be.

Quote:
This is all about pride and keeping the icon intact. In the end people won't remember the 2 national championships of JoePa, but the way his tenure ended with Penn State...Just unfair to the 9 or however many children that were affected that this guy who knew at the time did not stand up and dial 911.
You make it sound like Paterno was in full knowledge of every single abuse incident and had complete control over each of them, while nearly all of them occured off-campus, in Sandusky's home or car.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #46
OsGom
Mind-Taker

Quote:
I understand what you're saying. However, a graduate assistant went to him agitated enough by the incident that Joe felt compelled to run it up the chain of command. I think that's saying something. If he felt compelled to report it, then being Joe Paterno aka JoePA, he damn well should have followed up and made sure it was addressed appropriately! Furthermore, as a former mentor and probably friend to Sandusky, he should have addressed the situation directly and encouraged his former protege to get help. Or if he didn't believe there was any wrong doing, spoke on behalf of Sandusky to the Athletic Director.

Anyway you slice it, Paterno is not free of responsibility. He should resign IMO.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #47
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

Quote:
I realize that, but as Yurka states, if all Paterno was told was that Sandusky was showering with a 10 year old kid from the football camp, that still should've sent up red flags all over the place, and it likely gets him charged with a number of things from indecent exposure, endangering the well-being of a minor, etc. Paterno is no less guilty if it was just a shower than if it's full blown rape so I'm not sure how he's trying to defend him on that ground?

Me thinks Yurka's a little too close to this thing to see it clearly.
Please.

I pride myself in being objective and looking at all the evidence whenever these public scandal cases come to light. Me being from the town and having ties to the university (however shocking for me it may be) does not inhibit my ability to look at the situation from an outside perspective.

That being said, if you have even been in a high-level sport environment, or even frequented a serious gym for that matter, you would see older men showering with kids. Of course you could twist laws to find something to charge someone with, as you can with many situations, but theres nothing necessarily "wrong" with that. Again, it's on McQueary for not being as descriptive as he should have been (if whats been stated is true).

Old 11-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #48
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsGom View Post
I understand what you're saying. However, a graduate assistant went to him agitated enough by the incident that Joe felt compelled to run it up the chain of command. I think that's saying something. If he felt compelled to report it, then being Joe Paterno aka JoePA, he damn well should have followed up and made sure it was addressed appropriately! Furthermore, as a former mentor and probably friend to Sandusky, he should have addressed the situation directly and encouraged his former protege to get help. Or if he didn't believe there was any wrong doing, spoke on behalf of Sandusky to the Athletic Director.

Anyway you slice it, Paterno is not free of responsibility. He should resign IMO.
But if he was unaware of any criminal wrong-doing, why alert the authorities and why speak on behalf of Sandusky, when he seemingly had no idea what was going on?

All we know is what's been stated in the Grand Jury Presentment, so that's what I'm basing my opinion off of.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #49
Poeman
Banned User

Lol...So This retirement decision was Joe Paterno's OWN decision, not the one advised by the Board of Trustees...So this could still be something the Board could decide by Friday.

He said
Quote:
That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME JOE????????????????? Easy would be to leave right now

This guy is still thinking about completing the season. This school must get him out before the Nebraska game.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #50
OsGom
Mind-Taker

Quote:
Based on what McQueary told him, he took that information to essentially the head of campus police, his boss. Why should the responsibility be on Paterno for not doing more?
Why? Because he is Joe Paterno. He is an icon and the face of Penn State to the world. What happens within his program past and present is a direct reflection of him. If there was even a tiny doubt in his mind he should have made it his mission to make sure the issue was investigated and resolved to the best of his abilities.If it was a rumor of illegal recruiting practices, would he have just handed off responsibility in the matter to his bosses? I don't think he would. He would have taken accountability, sorted out the matter and ensure it was dealt with. Now we're talking about possible child sexual abuse by his former protege in his facility. Even if he didn't believe it, he needed to take action and didn't. At least 8 children suffered and continue to suffer because of it.