The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 11-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #101
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Default Re: Penn State/Jerry Sandusky Child Sex Scandal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsGom View Post
I understand what you're saying, however, most people witnessing a young boy being sodomized, I would hope, would take immediate action and stomp the pervert into dust. Or at least called the police in addition to going to Paterno. Why didn't he at least speak out when nothing happened to Sandusky?

Yes, he was only a grad assistant but he stayed with the program for a decade after witnessing a rape that was swept under the carpet. One can't help but speculate, now that he is an assistant coach, that his silence might have been bought with promotions within the organization.

The whole thing just smells rotten to me.
And I agree. I'm not trying to justify what McQueary did or didnt do, as I would hope most decent human beings would've at least stopped the rape. Although I'll say you may not react in a situation like that when you're actually confronted with it, as you think you might, especially when the person committing it is someone high up the food chain.

I'm just asking how you relate the inaction of a lowly grad assistant to the inaction of the guy who's effectively the most powerful person at the University?

Old 11-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #102
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

McQueary should be fired, too. Paterno got the ax in large part because he is the face of the team, so it is PR. But, he deserved to be fired, IMO. Everyone who allowed it to happen or didn't do enough to prevent it should be fired, including McQueary.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #103
OsGom
Mind-Taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
Although I'll say you may not react in a situation like that when you're actually confronted with it, as you think you might, especially when the person committing it is someone high up the food chain.
Fair enough. However, if I didn't take action to preserve my job or standing, that would still make me a scumbag.

Quote:
I'm just asking how you relate the inaction of a lowly grad assistant to the inaction of the guy who's effectively the most powerful person at the University?
True! JoePA is Penn St. It is his program and anything that happens involving his people, past or present, is a direct reflection of him. Hence it was his responsibility and duty to make sure that this situation was handled.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #104
Poeman
Banned User

McQuery should not coach this weekend and I am sure the Board will make a decision on this. There is no way they are going to let that guy be there.

He could have done something morally too

Poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #105
Raiden
What a bunch of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
McQueary should be fired, too. Paterno got the ax in large part because he is the face of the team, so it is PR. But, he deserved to be fired, IMO. Everyone who allowed it to happen or didn't do enough to prevent it should be fired, including McQueary.
I agree. Both McQueary and Paterno only did the minimal thing they could do to report this crime, then just washed their hands away as if they've done all they could and allowed that assistant coach to continue his criminal spree. Paterno deserves to be fired, and McQueary does as well.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #106
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Agreed. I'm amazed he still has a job after all this.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #107
samsnee
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
I think McQueary is getting a free ride from the press right now; he was the actual witness to the thing, yet the central question unfairly dominating the public discourse is why Paterno didn't go to the police with the second-hand allegations. The media seems to be ignoring the obvious question of why McQueary didn't go to the police himself; it seems to me he's as guilty of doing exactly what Paterno is being crucified for; passing the buck to the next highest level in leadership, and walking away whistling with your hands in your pockets.

That stated, Paterno is being classless about this whole thing, deserves to be fired, and the Penn state students wasting their school hours protesting and rioting over this should be expelled just for sheer stupidity.
Yes McQueary is just as guilty as Paterno for not going to the police, but the fact is, Paterno is considered a god in those parts, and if he had made a real effort, things would have gotten done. The fact that the accused worked for Paterno also puts more of the onus on Paterno to handle the situation. If this were an office, it makes sense you would bring in your direct manager if a co-worker was doing something illegal, and it would be expected of your manager to bring in the proper higher-ups and follow through.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #108
NHawk19
insert witty comment

Here's the link to the article citing rumors Sandusky was pimping out the kids.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sa...rk-madden.html

This is really getting sick

Old 11-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #109
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHawk19 View Post
Here's the link to the article citing rumors Sandusky was pimping out the kids.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sa...rk-madden.html

This is really getting sick
This is worse than even the Maple Leaf Gardens situation we had here from a while back.

EDIT: Ugh, the source is Mark Madden, I just found out. That "journalists's" credibility is about as good as mud, for any sports fans here who remember who he is.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #110
NHawk19
insert witty comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
This is worse than even the Maple Leaf Gardens situation we had here from a while back.

EDIT: Ugh, the source is Mark Madden, I just found out. That "journalists's" credibility is about as good as mud, for any sports fans here who remember who he is.
He's on the air here in Pittsburgh now. And you're right he's long on speculation and editorial.

Thing is he got it right back in April before any of this happened. While I may not always like the guy I certainly have to give him credit for breaking the initial story, and I have to be curious what he now knows based on the sources he found 8 months ago.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #111
Poeman
Banned User

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1086099.html

Old 11-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #112
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

NBC Sports has a timeline of the accusations. It's absolutely disgusting how he was able to get away with this for so long.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/452344...lege_football/

Old 11-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #113
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHawk19 View Post
He's on the air here in Pittsburgh now. And you're right he's long on speculation and editorial.

Thing is he got it right back in April before any of this happened. While I may not always like the guy I certainly have to give him credit for breaking the initial story, and I have to be curious what he now knows based on the sources he found 8 months ago.
If you hear 100 rumours in one year and decide to broadcast all of them, at least one of them will actually be correct. Unfortunately, the other 99 destroy your credibility and hurt people who didn't deserve it.

If only someone could write a parable based on this concept. Something about a boy, who shouts, no, who cries, and some sort of animal, like a bear, or a fox, or a w ... a warthog! That's it!

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #114
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

Quote:
I played competitive ice hockey for 30 years up through D-III college ranks and a cup of coffee with a low level minor league team. Never did I ever once shower/bath/etc. with a coach or adult, especially not by myself or even with other players around. Especially not when I was under 18 or at any kind of sports camp.
I'm not intending to be a contrarion, but I believe you would be in the minority. I've been a member of numerous gyms and been involved with multiple sports programs over the years, and showering with other guys and older men, beginning at a younger age, seems customary to me. (However awkward it may feel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsGom View Post
If he had no idea of any wrong doing then why report it at all?I'm not saying he should be charged. I am saying he is professionally and ethically negligent for not following through on something that disturbed him enough he felt he should report it.
Because he was legally required to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
Yet.... you're the only person in this thread who is being adamant that Joe did all he could do...

I'm from Canada... I could care less about Joe and Penn State and NCAA sports... so I can look at this far more objectively than you can... frankly, the enthusiam that Americans show towards college sports boggles my mind, but I digress... the facts are that Joe heard something from McQueary to inform his superiors... which means that there was a concern on Joe's part...to do nothing afterwards, especially considering the amount of power Joe has at PSU, is sad and pathetic.

With all the information coming out, it appears that Joe simply turned a blind eye after the fact.

I'm sorry this bothers you.
It's merely coincidence, if this exact same situation were happening at another university I would have the same opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelMind View Post
Are you sure that's what McQueary reported or that's what the higher-ups claim that was what he reported to them. Be mindful of conflicted testimony based on conflict of interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
Is this based on some real evidence?

Because Yurka made claims throughout the early stages of this thread that we didn't know "exactly" what McQueary told Joe... though what you state is clear enough...
No one knows exactly what was said, except McQueary and Paterno. But the Grand Jury Presentment does state that McQueary told Paterno that he witnessed Sandusky fondling a boy, meanwhile other statements imply that McQueary only told Paterno that Sandusky was in the shower with a boy. There does seem to be some type of mis-communication, or possibly even a "cover-up", but only more information can settle that discussion.

Quote:
Haha... I bet we won't see Yurka in this thread for a bit... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Sandusky shouldn't have been in the shower with a boy at all.
I agree, but that's not illegal.

FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE 'SLEEP DEPRIVED' FANS OF . .
__T_H_E__ D_A_R_K__ K_N_I_G_H_T__
Yurka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #115
ih8nyy
Side-Kick

[QUOTE=Pink Ranger;21834483] This is worse than even the Maple Leaf Gardens situation we had here from a while back.

EDIT: Ugh, the source is Mark Madden, I just found out. That "journalists's" credibility is about as good as mud, for any sports fans here who remember who he is.[/QUOTE]

Ironic, since he was the 1st to report it 7 months prior to anyone else. I'd say it's pretty darn credible.

01', 03', 04', 04', 07', 08', 11', 13'
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
ih8nyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #116
Poeman
Banned User

Victim's sister: Penn State students joke about being "Sanduskied"
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_16...ng-sanduskied/

Old 11-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #117
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurka View Post
It's completely indefensible. This is a guy who had already been forced to retire over molestation accusations. Someone who admitted to taking showers with young boys - some as young as 7 or 8 years old - in the Penn State locker room and even admitted that he knew that was wrong. He even refused to promise to a mother of one of the boys that he would stop.

But Penn State's solution was to let him retire and keep his emeritus status and, this is the highlight of it all: his own set of keys to the locker room.

Then he did it again. And what did everyone with the power to do something about it once and for all do? They took away his locker room keys and never reported him to police.

So he stayed free to continue molesting children. Which he did, for several years. Even through his own charity. There were people at Penn State who could have done something to save these children turned the other way and did nothing. Last week, Sandusky was even using their gym.

It's disgraceful, and it's utterly indefensible.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #118
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Young adults are horrible people...Protesting because a senile old millionaire got fired yet they joke about and don't give a lick about the victims.

And oh yeah, McQueary should be fired too.

Quote:
It's completely indefensible. This is a guy who had already been forced to retire over molestation accusations. Someone who admitted to taking showers with young boys - some as young as 7 or 8 years old - in the Penn State locker room and even admitted that he knew that was wrong. He even refused to promise to a mother of one of the boys that he would stop.

But Penn State's solution was to let him retire and keep his emeritus status and, this is the highlight of it all: his own set of keys to the locker room.

Then he did it again. And what did everyone with the power to do something about it once and for all do? They took away his locker room keys and never reported him to police.

So he stayed free to continue molesting children. Which he did, for several years. Even through his own charity. There were people at Penn State who could have done something to save these children turned the other way and did nothing. Last week, Sandusky was even using their gym.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:56 PM   #119
Yurka
Let The Games Begin!

Quote:

I agree. Sandusky is the monster here, but the way the media is making it sound, Joe is just as bad..... and how McQueary is still a part of the university is mind-boggling.

FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE 'SLEEP DEPRIVED' FANS OF . .
__T_H_E__ D_A_R_K__ K_N_I_G_H_T__
Yurka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #120
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Paterno was an enabler and is guilty of inaction and turning a blind eye. Again while not illegal, he didn't deserve to retire on his own terms.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #121
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I agree. Sandusky is the monster here, but the way the media is making it sound, Joe is just as bad..... and how McQueary is still a part of the university is mind-boggling.
Joe is the biggest name in the scandal, so he's getting the most attention. Is it fair? Probably not. He's not the child molester. But he knew, at the very least he knew enough that this person shouldn't have been allowed to walk the streets, much less be allowed access to the locker room or go away unpunished more severely for what McCreary reported.

And that's what makes it worse for him. This is a person with a distinguished career and a lifetime of good deeds who people looked up to. But he didn't do the right thing when he needed to do it most: protect children from a predator.

He's not the only guilty party in this by a long shot...but looking the other way while knowing this was going on was inexcusable.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #122
Bat-Mite
Side-Kick

Quote:
Making holocaust jokes in a crowded synagogue isn't illegal either, but it's still something that you don't do merely out of propriety and consideration for other people. Imagine if this were a Catholic priest we were talking about who did this. If that priest admitted to doing that, then REGARDLESS of whether or not he did anything else to the boy, any further accusation made by the boy or his family would automatically be assumed to be true. You do not want to even create the perception that something untoward is going on, and I don't think that any adult who is putting the child's well-being first would do so.

Bat-Mite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #123
Sith Scotti
Banned User

Paterno never actually saw the crime took place ... McQueary did . How come Paterno was fired and McQueary was not ? I am not defending Paterno but at least he has somt of defense seeing as he only got an account from McQueary ... This is a complete joke.

Sith Scotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #124
Boom
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poeman View Post
Victim's sister: Penn State students joke about being "Sanduskied"
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_16...ng-sanduskied/
Wow .

Old 11-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #125
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Scotti View Post
Paterno never actually saw the crime took place ... McQueary did . How come Paterno was fired and McQueary was not ? I am not defending Paterno but at least he has somt of defense seeing as he only got an account from McQueary ... This is a complete joke.
Paterno was fired because Sandusky was accused of molesting young boys and not doing anything more about it than alerting campus police. He's not the only one being punished for looking the other way while this was going on.
McQueary is likely to be gone soon as well. I can't see him lasting there much longer.