The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 11-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #126
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: The Joker sized elephant in the room

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassaElamaOn View Post
Tell me your honest thoughts on this... <snip> ... In the case of the Joker, such a moment would be a nod to the character and a heartfelt thank you to Heath Ledger.
No offence, but that sounds a little too cheesy TV-movie to me.

If anyone has honored Heath Ledger in the past, it is certainly Chris Nolan. He'll continue to honor him by making good films and not shoehorning in sentimentality.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #127
ron1705
Side-Kick

Indeed, there's a thin line between heartfelt & cheesy and overly sentimental.

ron1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #128
TassaElamaOn
404 User Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
No offence, but that sounds a little too cheesy TV-movie to me.

If anyone has honored Heath Ledger in the past, it is certainly Chris Nolan. He'll continue to honor him by making good films and not shoehorning in sentimentality.
None taken. I appreciate the honesty.

I know I won't be the only one watching TDKR, loving every moment and thinking about how TDK was actually topped, but still not being able to get our psychopathic mass-murdering friend off my mind. I've been reading some posts from Bosef982 for the last few minutes that have me feeling pretty damn good, though. As great as Heath Joker was, there will so many other elements in TDKR to balance out his absence.

Last edited by TassaElamaOn; 11-14-2011 at 03:00 PM.
TassaElamaOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #129
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassaElamaOn View Post
I know I won't be the only one watching TDKR, loving every moment and thinking about how TDK was actually topped, but still not being able to get our psychopathic mass-murdering friend off my mind. I've been reading some posts from Bosef982 for the last few minutes that have me feeling pretty damn good, though. As great as Heath Joker was, there will so many other elements in TDKR to balance out his absence.
As much as I like optimism....let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #130
Jedm1991
Blurple Rain

Lets say Joker does escape with the other prisoners in TDKR, i dont want to see anymore than a very brief clip of Batman beating some Clown masked thugs.

Jedm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:43 PM   #131
DeanJ2009
Side-Kick

If this is the finale and the Joker isn't accounted for then they can't really say the story is over can they.

even just mentioning that he's been rounded up or hasn't infact escaped will be enough to cover him really

Gordon: There's been a breakout at Arkham/Blackgate hundreds of convicts are roaming the streets
Batman: Joker?
Gordon: He's still locked down, thankfully his wing was secured

or alternatively

Gordon: we've rounded most of them up, all the major players are behind bars and accounted for
Batman: and Joker?
Gordon: Back in his cell

Obviously the dialogue would be written by somebody with an actual talent for it rather than me lol bit you get the jist. A film featuring a prison break has to account for a character like Joker because if he's still on the loose then the story isn't over.

which i why i think he will get a mention: unless the end is well open-ended in that he's still Batman and Gotham still needs saving, then Joker being free isn't much of an issue but my impression here was the story is about to come full circle and end.

DeanJ2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:46 PM   #132
TinkerTailor
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ2009 View Post
If this is the finale and the Joker isn't accounted for then they can't really say the story is over can they.

even just mentioning that he's been rounded up or hasn't infact escaped will be enough to cover him really

Gordon: There's been a breakout at Arkham/Blackgate hundreds of convicts are roaming the streets
Batman: Joker?
Gordon: He's still locked down, thankfully his wing was secured

or alternatively

Gordon: we've rounded most of them up, all the major players are behind bars and accounted for
Batman: and Joker?
Gordon: Back in his cell

Obviously the dialogue would be written by somebody with an actual talent for it rather than me lol bit you get the jist. A film featuring a prison break has to account for a character like Joker because if he's still on the loose then the story isn't over.

which i why i think he will get a mention: unless the end is well open-ended in that he's still Batman and Gotham still needs saving, then Joker being free isn't much of an issue but my impression here was the story is about to come full circle and end.
We've seen nothing so far to suggest that there's any breakout from Arkham. He's in a padded cell.

TinkerTailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #133
DeanJ2009
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerTailor View Post
We've seen nothing so far to suggest that there's any breakout from Arkham. He's in a padded cell.
No well obviously there is a lot of if's and but's and filling in blanks regarding what we have seen, but if there is any sort of prisoners on the loose(there is a picture in this thread of guys with jumpsuits and guns, which although requires assumptions on our part it's not that great a leap) you have to assume that Batman's initial concern would be with the Joker whereabouts given the threat he poses and his agenda.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #134
TinkerTailor
Pest

Quote:
No well obviously there is a lot of if's and but's and filling in blanks regarding what we have seen, but if there is any sort of prisoners on the loose(there is a picture in this thread of guys with jumpsuits and guns, which although requires assumptions on our part it's not that great a leap) you have to assume that Batman's initial concern would be with the Joker whereabouts given the threat he poses and his agenda.
Yeah but the breakout is from Blackgate Prison. Arkham isn't going to be his primary concern there and to shoe horn in a reference to one secure facility because a different one has been breached could be a little clunky.

You're right though, it's all if's and but's.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #135
DeanJ2009
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah but the breakout is from Blackgate Prison. Arkham isn't going to be his primary concern there and to shoe horn in a reference to one secure facility because a different one has been breached could be a little clunky.

You're right though, it's all if's and but's.
has Arkham been confirmed as operational again after the acts of Batman Begins? I can't think off the top of my head if they mentioned that in TDK after 'losing' it along with the Narrows in TDK.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #136
TinkerTailor
Pest

Quote:
has Arkham been confirmed as operational again after the acts of Batman Begins? I can't think off the top of my head if they mentioned that in TDK after 'losing' it along with the Narrows in TDK.
The only mention Arkham got was when Batman lectured Dent about Thomas Schiff I think. The building itself only received superficial damage during BB though. The inmates didn't break out, they were released. I see no reason why they wouldn't have been thrown back in there once they were rounded up.

If The Narrows were still in that bad a state during TDK surely it would have been referenced then.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #137
Bads316
Side-Kick

Surely Scarecrow is in Arkham, so.........

''Hold 'im up there, Kano! I donít care if he wets himself and your head; that boy is gonna see somebody die!'' - Colonel Gentleman
Bads316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #138
TinkerTailor
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bads316 View Post

Old 11-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #139
DeanJ2009
Side-Kick

Quote:
The only mention Arkham got was when Batman lectured Dent about Thomas Schiff I think. The building itself only received superficial damage during BB though. The inmates didn't break out, they were released. I see no reason why they wouldn't have been thrown back in there once they were rounded up.

If The Narrows were still in that bad a state during TDK surely it would have been referenced then.
it was being run as a base to poison the city and being run by a bloke doing inhumane experiments on inmates, i would have assumed opening it back up wouldn't have been all that easy.

anyway i suppose we will see, I'd like a nod to the joker in there, i don't think it's 100% necessary but i also don't think it's that frivolous to include it either

Old 11-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #140
TinkerTailor
Pest

Quote:
it was being run as a base to poison the city and being run by a bloke doing inhumane experiments on inmates, i would have assumed opening it back up wouldn't have been all that easy.

anyway i suppose we will see, I'd like a nod to the joker in there, i don't think it's 100% necessary but i also don't think it's that frivolous to include it either
I'm not actually averse to a slight nod, but it's a tightrope walk. If it's too brief a mention and it seems shoehorned in it's going to come across as very obvious lip service, and if he's actually shown/heard or it's acknowledged that he's on the loose then it risks overshadowing the immediate narrative.

I'll reiterate what I mentioned before and leave this one alone: The Joker's a loaded gun, don't introduce him into the plot if you don't intend to pull the trigger at some point.

That sounds really pervy.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:32 PM   #141
DeanJ2009
Side-Kick

which is pretty much the reason amidst all this chaos in TDKR he should be accounted for.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #142
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
The only mention Arkham got was when Batman lectured Dent about Thomas Schiff I think.
Dent also mentioned Carmine Falcone still being in Arkham during the courtroom scene with Maroni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bads316 View Post
Yeah, and that's the thing that bothers me. Unless Scarecrow just escaped on his own (Arkham has the worst security in the world after all), that's one thing, but if Bane broke out the Arkham inmates, too, then Joker is definitely going to be an elephant in the room.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #143
Jedm1991
Blurple Rain

Who would be angry if Joker was mentioned as dead at some point in the film?

Jedm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:12 PM   #144
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I would. It would be like saying Harvey is alive and in a coma. Or Ra's Al Ghul never died on the train.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #145
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedm1991 View Post
Everyone.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #146
Blue Sugar
Banned User

Angry is a bit harsh maybe, but I wouldn't dig it.

Blue Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #147
Laderlappen
Fat, drunk, and stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedm1991 View Post
The return of the broken record: WHat would be the point of that?

Old 11-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #148
ron1705
Side-Kick

Mentioning he's dead is the worst option. Mentioned or not, atleast we know he's in a padded jail planning some diabolical scheme.

ron1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #149
The Morningstar
Banned User

I just think completely leaving Joker out of the finale to this Batman trilogy is kinda dumb. I know Heath's death was unfortunate, but I mean if he was still alive i'd put my life savings on Joker being in this, the finale. It'd be inevitable. So I still feel they should have recast. Ironically enough, Tom Hardy would have been one of my choices.

There must be some mention of Joker somewhere in this film. I expect there to be. The events of TDK can't exactly be just swept under the carpet.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #150
batbax
Side-Kick

I agree with you morningstar. I know it's a viewpoint that will get you lambasted and verbally raped around here, but I think recasting him would've been great if they felt he was gonna play a key role in this one. I am just having a hard time imagining how they are gonna side step his absence especially with the way bane is making all hell break loose in Gotham.

batbax is offline   Reply With Quote