The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 11-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #26
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Default Re: The Official NEW Scarlet Spider series staring Kaine thread

I really wish people would stop *****ing about Ben Reilly and just give this a chance. It looks like a really interesting, fresh and most importantly unique series, while still giving major respect to fans of the clone-saga. Kaine is awesome (even if he did fail to rescue Baby May).

And... is Kaine smiling in that picture? Looks like it.

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #27
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
I really wish people would stop *****ing about Ben Reilly and just give this a chance. It looks like a really interesting, fresh and most importantly unique series, while still giving major respect to fans of the clone-saga. Kaine is awesome (even if he did fail to rescue Baby May).

And... is Kaine smiling in that picture? Looks like it.
Who here was really complaining?

I'm a little upset that they kind of did a personality transplant from Kaine to the "slightly" darker Ben Reilly. However, everything seems to be freakin' awesome. Some things have gotten explained and hopefully as the series progresses maybe we'll get some deeper personality explanations...

My biggest complaint was that I had to pay 3.99 for that little bit of story and the rest of the stories kind of sucked. However, the artwork was pretty in the stories like with Javier Pulido, Bryan Hitch, and Terry Dodson.

Ryan Stegman is really going to be the perfect artist for this. Plus the first issue of Scarlet Spider is .99 cents at DCBS so that's going to be a bonus!

http://www.glitchpoint.com

Check out their song Ignition
SpideyInATree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #28
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Stegman's art defenitely is a bonus, IMO as well.

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Spider-ManHero12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #29
TwilightPro101

Loved that Point One short.

I've had mixed expectations on the idea of Scarlet Spider coming back, but the build up for the title has got me hook, line and sinker.

At this point, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Kaine continues to grow from here.

I'll always miss Ben, but all the same, I'm glad there's a legacy intact.

ScarJo IS Black Widow
TwilightPro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #30
Kahoot

What is this "Point One" thing people speak of?

For Everything A Reason
Fallen Empires Are Ruling
F.E.A.R.
Kahoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #31
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

It's a Marvel one-shot called "Point One" that came out last week... it had short previews of things to expect in 2012, and one of the stories involved Kaine.

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #32
Ultra Magnus
Autobot City Commander

World of The Scarlet Spider: Supporting Cast

Previous Comics Story

World of The Scarlet Spider: Supporting Cast

Chris Yost talks about the new faces that will surround Kaine in his role as The Scarlet Spider
Posted Nov 16, 2011 4:46 pm
Updated Nov 16, 2011 5:10 pm

By Ben Morse
The latest webslinger in the Marvel Universe may have a known name and familiar face, but that’s about it.

When SCARLET SPIDER #1 swings into stores on January 11, Peter Parker’s clone, Kaine, lands in a new city—Houston, Texas—where he’ll encounter new friends, new threats and build a new life for himself. Spinning out of Spider-Island, SCARLET SPIDER promises a wallcrawling experience the likes of which you’ve never seen.
All this week, with the help of writer Chris Yost and artist Ryan Stegman, we’ll be exploring the World of The Scarlet Spider in order to prepare you for a hero unlike any other.

While Kaine has traditionally been a loner at best and anti-social at worst, his role as The Scarlet Spider will bring him into contact with those around him like never before as he attempts to forge his own life for the first time ever. Chris Yost spoke on the people who will populate our hero’s expanding world.
SCARLET SPIDER #1 inked preview art by Ryan Stegman Who will be Kaine’s supporting cast?
Chris Yost: Well, as of the POINT ONE story, Kaine has absolutely zero supporting cast members. He's on the road heading to Mexico, trying to start a new life. And on a stop in Houston to, how shall we say, “acquire” some funds, he saves a life. And that one action snowballs into a few things that Kaine never wanted: being a hero and meeting new people. Kaine doesn't want to be a hero, and he's not exactly a people person.
But when he saves 16 year old Aracely's life, things get messy. He then meets a doctor at Houston's medical center, bringing him this half-dead girl, and nearly kills a policeman there as well. Kaine makes a memorable first impression on people. Finally, he checks into the Four Seasons hotel, where he meets a bartender/singer named Annabelle. These four people will initially be his supporting cast.
How will the characters he meets in his civilian life shape that persona?
Chris Yost: Like I said, Kaine's not much of a people person. He scares the crap out of the doctor, he nearly kills the cop—but post-Spider Island, Kaine is increasingly aware of his behavior. His mind is no longer degrading, he can see these things more clearly now. He can stop himself and say, “What the hell am I doing?” before he breaks somebody's neck.
And honestly, just being around other people can't help but change him. The cast doesn't know much about Kaine, they see him as a hero. And that's something Kaine has never considered himself.
Will there be other heroes he encounters as The Scarlet Spider?
The Rangers Chris Yost: While Houston is a fairly unexplored city in the Marvel Universe, there is a group of heroes that somewhat patrol the Southwest, so you can expect a visit from the Rangers. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but it's not going to go so well. Kaine's style of “heroics” isn't necessarily going to mesh well with other heroes. Kaine also isn't so much on the social niceties.
Will Kaine have a love interest? How will his past and emotional issues help or hinder such relationships?
Chris Yost: Wait, do you mean like that time he was in love with that girl who he later killed? Yes, that might be an issue for Kaine as he navigates the new women in his life. Kaine isn't so good at the secret identity thing, so things are going to get complicated for him quickly with his supporting cast, and talk about a past that's set and primed to come back and bite you.
You think Peter Parker's got it bad? “Oh no, what if they find out I'm a super-hero!” Kaine's grim past would be a little harder to deal with for a prospective girlfriend—unless one of those girls is a crazy psychopath. But she doesn't appear until later.
How will this cast contrast with the traditional Spider-Man family?
SCARLET SPIDER #1 cover by Ryan Stegman Chris Yost: Peter's friends are people he's known for a long time, people who will always be there for him. Betty, Flash, Mary Jane, Robbie—they're good people who have a lot of history with Peter, who's a really nice guy.
Kaine is rough around the edges to say the least. There's something about him that people will respond to, but he doesn't make it easy. They want to believe the best in him, but honestly, everyone in the cast is in for a wild ride on this one.
Will Kaine have any sort of mentor, in or out of the mask?
Chris Yost: No. He's on his own. No safety net, no guide, no handbook. He's starting a new life after years of being a psycho super villain. And he's going to struggle with it. He's going to fail a lot, both in his new life and as a “hero.”
Will Kaine seek people out or will they have to come to him?
Chris Yost: It's going to be case by case, but Kaine's going to meet people [based on the situation]. He needs a doctor, he meets a doctor. He runs into a cop, he saves a life, he gets a drink—this is how people meet people, I'm told. But when someone does seek him out, you'll know it. Because anyone who wants to find Kaine has a very likely dangerous reason for seeking him out. Like those assassins that come calling.
Who do you think will surprise people as a possible breakout member of this supporting cast?
Chris Yost: Aracely. Despite her amnesia and the language barrier, she should be a lot of fun.
Tomorrow, we take a look at the villains who will plague The Scarlet Spider. And remember to pick up SCARLET SPIDER #1 on January 11!

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/story/17072/w...#ixzz1dushWWUo

Old 11-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #33
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Soudns great! I seriously am at the peak of excitment for this.

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Old 11-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #34
TwilightPro101

Loving all the little bits, that are being revealed thus far.

Really eager to see, how Kaine progresses over the course of his few arcs and who may come back from his past to haunt him.

ScarJo IS Black Widow
Old 11-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #35
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyInATree View Post
Who here was really complaining?
This guy for one. Not calling him out. He has every right to voice his opinion, but since you asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg031 View Post
I meant Wacker's response was garbage. This is the comic book business and you're telling me that Ben's story is told after 100+ comics? Characters die and comeback all the time in the 616. That just tells me he's not a creative writer and i believe the demand for Ben is there when i see his action figure at stores today, the name "Scarlet Spider" is used by different characters (MVP Clones and now Kaine) and his images has been in Amazing Spiderman for a while now. If you wanna kill a character simply don't mention him, don't use an image of him to spark interest again.

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #36
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Magnus View Post
Will Kaine have a love interest? How will his past and emotional issues help or hinder such relationships?
Chris Yost: Wait, do you mean like that time he was in love with that girl who he later killed?
He's talking about Louise Kennedy. It's so cool that Yost is so interested in Kaine's backstory and actually did his homework about the character. Imagine if we got a flavor-of-the-month writer who didn't know anything about Kaine except the "Spider-Man's clone" post-it note that an editor leaves him. We lucked out.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:59 PM   #37
Sockie
Side-Kick

Quote:
He's talking about Louise Kennedy. It's so cool that Yost is so interested in Kaine's backstory and actually did his homework about the character. Imagine if we got a flavor-of-the-month writer who didn't know anything about Kaine except the "Spider-Man's clone" post-it note that an editor leaves him. We lucked out.
Not sure if he needed to do any "homework" seeing as how he was there for the Clone Saga.

Sockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #38
JJJ's Ulcer

Well... that's even cooler then.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:04 AM   #39
mcg031
Side-Kick

Quote:
This guy for one. Not calling him out. He has every right to voice his opinion, but since you asked:

Wow...to be clear i was complaining about Wacker's dislike for Ben Reilly on the Reilly Thread. I'm all for the Scarlet Spider comic its one step closer to bringing Ben back. Good looking out JJJ.

mcg031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #40
Kahoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
It's a Marvel one-shot called "Point One" that came out last week... it had short previews of things to expect in 2012, and one of the stories involved Kaine.

I thought it was the next big event. All I know is it sounds like a possible Marvel Reboot from the solicitations (but then the person who told me that might be reading too much into that)

For Everything A Reason
Fallen Empires Are Ruling
F.E.A.R.
Kahoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #41
Ultra Magnus
Autobot City Commander

Somehow I can't get this smaller, so...

Last edited by Ultra Magnus; 11-17-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Ultra Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #42
Ultra Magnus
Autobot City Commander

World of The Scarlet Spider: Villains

Previous Comics Story Next Comics Story

World of The Scarlet Spider: Villains

Chris Yost reveals some of the threats that will confront Kaine as he undertakes the unfamiliar role of hero
Posted Nov 17, 2011 4:42 pm
Updated Nov 17, 2011 4:52 pm

By Ben Morse
The latest webslinger in the Marvel Universe may have a known name and familiar face, but that’s about it.

When SCARLET SPIDER #1 swings into stores on January 11, Peter Parker’s clone, Kaine, lands in a new city—Houston, Texas—where he’ll encounter new friends, new threats and build a new life for himself. Spinning out of Spider-Island, SCARLET SPIDER promises a wallcrawling experience the likes of which you’ve never seen.
All this week, with the help of writer Chris Yost and artist Ryan Stegman, we’ll be exploring the World of The Scarlet Spider in order to prepare you for a hero unlike any other.

Kaine has spent many years walking on the dark side and knows what villainy looks like. In his new role as The Scarlet Spider, he will be confronted by threats in various forms and face them as a hero for the first time in his life. We spoke with Chris Yost about what kinds of bad guys to expect when SCARLET SPIDER gets underway.
Kaine during his own villain days What types of threats will Kaine be up against as The Scarlet Spider?
Chris Yost: Kaine isn't your typical super hero, so he's not going to be running up against your typical villains. In the first issue, he tracks down what appears to be a drug deal and beats everybody up—that's what super heroes do, right? But instead of waiting for the police, Kaine robs them. He's really not focused on heroics initially, he's more focused on getting out of the country so that he can start this new life he's been given.
But all that being said, once he gets his act together, Scarlet Spider is going to go up against some serious stuff, from general crime to super villains, monsters to corporations, and finally himself. Because Kaine's past may be his biggest villain. The shadow of all the horrible things he's done looms large over Kaine.
Will super villains or general crime by taking up most of his time?
Chris Yost: There will be a pretty decent split between the two. Kaine's day to day life isn't going to be normal. He's never been a hero before. He's going to mess up; we see it as early as issue one when he tries to save a little old lady. It goes horrifically bad. So when he goes out on “patrol,” he's as dangerous as the criminals. Part of the fun is watching him learn all this. After all, up until recently, he was a super villain.
And while Kaine is going to try being a hero, he's also learning to be a regular human being, too. This is a man who's never had a life. So a lot of his focus will be on himself, too.
SCARLET SPIDER #1 cover by Ryan Stegman Are there already threats in Houston when Kaine arrives or does The Scarlet Spider attract their presence?
Chris Yost: There are threats in Houston, and then Scarlet Spider's arrival makes it worse. His presence has a ripple effect. He stumbles across a crime, intervenes, and then things go out of control. And soon enough, Scarlet Spider will attract threats. There's a good reason Kaine's on the run, not just from the law. There are other people out there that wouldn't mind finding Kaine.
What about Houston makes it a place bad guys will want to set up shop?
Chris Yost: Well, there [are] people there. Money. Business. A great location, proximity to the Gulf and Mexico. And it's a major U.S. city. There's going to be crime. There's crime there right now, even as we speak. And even though Houston's never had its own super hero before, who's to say they never had their own super villain?
When Scarlet Spider comes to town, there [are] a lot of people very happy about a super hero finally coming to Houston. And there's a pretty good reason why.
Will we see any familiar villains in Scarlet Spider?
Chris Yost: Absolutely. At least one major Spider-Man villain is slated to show up, a group from the X-Men books will make an appearance, [and] a little company by the name of Roxxon has a branch in Houston. Marvel's villains are going to be well represented here in SCARLET SPIDER.
What new villains have you created for this series? Where did the ideas for them come from?
SCARLET SPIDER #2 cover by Ryan Stegman Chris Yost: The very first time we talked, artist Ryan Stegman expressed the desire to really create a lot of new characters, so that's what we're going to do. The villain in the first two issues is a very nasty guy called Xiuhcoatl, named after the mythological Aztec Fire Serpent. He's come to Houston to clean up a mess, and The Scarlet Spider is standing in his way.
In every case, the new villains are designed to give Scarlet Spider the biggest challenge possible.
Will there be alliances between various villains or groups?
Chris Yost: There's a lot of connections here, some that will be obvious, some that won't be clear until later. There's a general arc in SCARLET SPIDER that's going to tie a lot of disparate elements together, including the villains.
How is Kaine’s approach to dealing with enemies different from, say, Spider-Man’s?
Chris Yost: Well, Kaine's first instinct when dealing with an enemy is to kill them. So that's a little different. I think the biggest challenge Kaine is going to have in dealing with all these threats is that the easiest solution in every single case is to kill them. By not killing them, Kaine is going to be acting against his nature; against his instincts. Against what he feels is common sense.
Kaine is going to be able to understand some of these villains better than Spider-Man ever would, because he's been in their shoes. He's been a super villain and killer. And he's going to use that understanding to his own advantage.
Tomorrow, we highlight SCARLET SPIDER artist Ryan Stegman. And remember to pick up SCARLET SPIDER #1 on January 11!

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/story/17078/w...#ixzz1e0Erzqf9

Old 11-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #43
KingMob
Nothing to see here

I can't wait for this.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #44
TwilightPro101

Digging the reveals of what we're getting more and more. Particularly, loving how Kaine's past is coming back to haunt him and has influence in his role as the Scarlet Spider.

ScarJo IS Black Widow
Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #45
ben_reilly_s_s
Side-Kick

i've gotta stop reading these... it's getting to the point that we will know the entire first issue before it comes out...
part 2 or 3... said Kaine needs money and does something different and left it at that, then comes this part and it's stated what he does... i'm not gonna read these til after the book comes out.

My 3DS friend code: 2492-4192-0317
My XboX GamerTag: KaineKinetic
ben_reilly_s_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #46
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightPro101 View Post
Digging the reveals of what we're getting more and more. Particularly, loving how Kaine's past is coming back to haunt him and has influence in his role as the Scarlet Spider.
Agreed. Defenitely one of the best things so far, IMO.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #47
Ultra Magnus
Autobot City Commander

World of The Scarlet Spider: Ryan Stegman

Previous Comics Story

World of The Scarlet Spider: Ryan Stegman

The upcoming artist of Scarlet Spider discusses his approach to Kaine and shows off exclusive preview art
Posted Nov 18, 2011 5:19 pm
Updated Nov 18, 2011 5:21 pm

By Ben Morse

As Kaine grows into his new role as The Scarlet Spider, his look and world will evolve to suit his endeavors, and Ryan Stegman will be the man directing that visual growth. Having proved himself a true artist to watch with his work on INCREDIBLE HERCULES, SHE-HULKS, FEAR ITSELF: HULK VS. DRACULA and more, Stegman spoke with us about his path to SCARLET SPIDER and the steps he’s taking to bring Kaine’s adventures to life.
SCARLET SPIDER #1 inked preview art by Ryan Stegman How did you come to this assignment?
Ryan Stegman: I did AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #665 and sort of came to the realization that I loved drawing Spider-Man. It's one of those situations where you start working on something and it just all clicks and you feel like it just makes sense. So as I was working on it, [editor] Steve Wacker seemed to be enjoying it and so I tried to subtly tell him that I wanted to work on the character a lot more. But in the end, I wasn't so subtle. I just laid it all out there. Shortly after I finished the issue, Steve called me and asked me if I'd be interested in drawing SCARLET SPIDER. He told me all the info about it being Kaine, etc. and immediately I was won over by the idea of a "dark" Spider-Man. I mean, what's cooler than that? And the more I learn about the character and Chris Yost's angle on him, the more I fall in love with the project. It's a perfect fit.
What are the biggest differences between drawing Spider-Man and the new Scarlet Spider?
Ryan Stegman: The costume! I don't have to draw all those webs all over his outfit! But other than that, my goal is to make Scarlet Spider even more "arachnid" so-to-speak. When I drew Spider-Man I tried to give him that spider-y feel that I love so much on the character. But Kaine needs to be even more menacing, more intimidating. So I'm really going to push the posing and use a lot more black to give him that ominous feel that we want.
How did you get a feel for the character of Kaine?
SCARLET SPIDER #1 inked preview art by Ryan Stegman Ryan Stegman: I went back and read the Clone Saga. Well, that's an ongoing process. Holy smokes there are a lot of books to read! And I've done a lot of sketching of the character as well. Figuring out the "feel" of the character is an ongoing process though. For example, in issue one we actually see Kaine smile! I know, it's crazy. But you have to wonder when the last time he smiled was. So I had to figure out a way to make him happy, but not so happy that it's out of character. And I try to take these challenges on as I get to them along the way.
What was your process for designing the new Scarlet Spider costume?
Ryan Stegman: I wanted something classic that wouldn't need a re-design. We tossed around the idea of the hoodie, and I appreciate the nostalgic aspect of that costume. But that's Ben Reilly's costume. And to me, it has a time and a place. Kaine is very different from Ben Reilly. For Kaine's costume, I wanted something more menacing that would strike fear into his adversaries. I'm in love with the idea of the blood red eyes set against a background of black.
And I really wanted something simple. Because Scarlet Spider is going to be in motion a lot, and bogging him down with too many bells and whistles can take away from the movement in the drawings. And movement is something that I really try to capture in my work.
I think the simple, classic design prevents it from being dated as well. My hope is that when people look back on the character in 20 years they don't say, "He just looks so 2010s" or whatever you call this decade.
How did you get a sense for Houston as a locale?
SCARLET SPIDER #1 inked preview art by Ryan Stegman Ryan Stegman: Thank goodness for Google Maps. Chris does a lot of research on locales and he'll include links in my scripts and then I can go in and actually find a 3D model of the area. A scene in the first issue takes place near the Bank of America Center and I was able to really portray the area accurately because of all the stuff on Maps.
Chris and I also will be going to Houston in January, and that should help me to understand it more. Because you can't really know a city until you've been there.
What are you doing to distinguish Houston and give it its own feel?
Ryan Stegman: Just by studying the architecture in Houston online I've noticed how different it is from New York. New York buildings are very ornate, while Houston buildings are less so. But I guess the easy answer to this question is that I use Google Maps and just try to be as accurate as possible!
How have you adapted your style for this series? Any new tricks?
Ryan Stegman: I'm not sure that I'm using "new" tricks per se. I probably am, but I never notice it until I look back on the work later. But I will say this: I feel like my whole career I've been building up an arsenal of "tricks" or I guess “skills” is a better word. So all along I've been learning and learning and learning and now I feel that I'm just unleashing all those things that I've learned. I really feel like it's the strongest work of my career, but I'm probably not objective because I happen to be me.
What are you most looking forward to drawing in this book?
Ryan Stegman: Scarlet Spider swinging through the city looking like a badass! And fighting fire monsters, which happens in issue #2. I'm still trying to convince Yost to write in a dinosaur battle at some point. But basically, I am going to try the empty the tank of awesome stuff to draw that I've been filling up since I was a kid!
Remember to pick up SCARLET SPIDER #1 on January 11!

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/story/17086/w...#ixzz1e6YcyrnZ

Old 11-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #48
Spectacular23
Future New Yorker!!

I'm really loving the reveals. I also love how he mentions Bank of America Center. Located in my Current city Charlotte NC. I have to agree he really did portray the area pretty Good. Awesome. Like I said, I'm really loving these reveals on this series. Getting hyped!

Spectacular23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #49
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

I'm with ben reilly s_s on this one. Avoiding the interviews and reveals. However, I will look at those inked Ryan Stegman pencils and drool like a madman. Love me some Ryan Stegman!

http://www.glitchpoint.com

Check out their song Ignition
SpideyInATree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #50
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

I'm a sucker for spoilers, so I can't help myself, lol. Well, for the most part.