The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 11-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #51
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Default Re: The Official NEW Scarlet Spider series staring Kaine thread

Aloha,
It just dawned on me. Someone at Marvel figured out a way to both salvage and acknowledge as much of the Clone Saga as possible! From the return of the Jackal in Spider Island to Kaine as The Scarlet Spider.
Brilliant.
Spidey rules

Last edited by Donald Thomas; 11-20-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Donald Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:49 PM   #52
AgentEnforcer
misses Ben Reilly.

My money is on Norman Osborn popping up in this book. Sooner than later, depending on how well it sells.

The Ben Reilly Tribute - Best Ben Reilly Resource on the web!
AgentEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #53
KingMob
Nothing to see here

I hope it does well, but I'm not too optimistic. Either way, I'll be along for the ride. I seriously can't believe there is going to be a book called Scarlet Spider starring Kaine. Never thought I'd see the day he got his own ongoing.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #54
ben_reilly_s_s
Side-Kick

Too bad Marvel doesn't have this as a subscription title...

My 3DS friend code: 2492-4192-0317
My XboX GamerTag: KaineKinetic
ben_reilly_s_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #55
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMob View Post
I hope it does well, but I'm not too optimistic. Either way, I'll be along for the ride. I seriously can't believe there is going to be a book called Scarlet Spider starring Kaine. Never thought I'd see the day he got his own ongoing.
I know, right!

If you would have told 16 year old me after putting down Peter Parker Spider-Man # 75 that in 2012 there would be a Scarlet Spider series I would have thrown my giant computer mouse at you and told you to stop teasing me like that!

Great time for Clone Saga fans!

http://www.glitchpoint.com

Check out their song Ignition
SpideyInATree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #56
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

If you guys are worried about this book lasting, buy copies for friends and tell other clone-saga fans who have left comics and aren't plugged in anymore about it.

I hope JM DeMatteis gets to write a fill-in issue one day.

"My mum always said 'if someone doesn't like you, **** 'em. They've got bad taste.'" ~ Bob Hoskins on confidence.
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #57
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyInATree View Post
I know, right!

If you would have told 16 year old me after putting down Peter Parker Spider-Man # 75 that in 2012 there would be a Scarlet Spider series I would have thrown my giant computer mouse at you and told you to stop teasing me like that!

Great time for Clone Saga fans!
I would have that reaction too, but it would be secondary to my amazement that a time-travelling 30 year old version of me from 2012 was standing in my house.

"My mum always said 'if someone doesn't like you, **** 'em. They've got bad taste.'" ~ Bob Hoskins on confidence.
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #58
KingMob
Nothing to see here

I always liked Kaine growing up too. Thought he was badass. He pulled down buildings using his sticking powers!

Old 11-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #59
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
I would have that reaction too, but it would be secondary to my amazement that a time-travelling 30 year old version of me from 2012 was standing in my house.

Yeah, that too!

Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #60
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Agreed, lol.

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Spider-ManHero12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #61
Doomed_hero
Side-Kick

its a weird thing as a huge fan of the clone saga to see Kaine taking over, but in a way it makes sense. If Ben can't come back, I am intrested to see what Kaine brings to the legacy. Hope we see some flashback s or nods to ben as well. he is still one of my top 5 spider-man characters and is defently missed.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #62
Ultra Magnus
Autobot City Commander

I just realized today that the new Scarlet Spider costume has some resemblance to Spider-Man 2099's Flipside.

The red eyes, mostly red, black gloves.
Nonetheless the new Scarlet Spider looks better when it comes to details.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #63
Ultra Magnus
Autobot City Commander

Just found this:
Kaine on the Brain: Ryan Stegman's 'Scarlet Spider' Sketchbook [Exclusive Art]

For Marvel Comics readers of a certain generation, there is no story more infamous than Spider-Man's Clone Saga, a wildly protracted and hugely controversial 1990s event that outraged fans by, among other things, revealing that the Spidey whose adventures they'd followed for years was in fact a clone. Like many superhero comics of the era, the Clone Saga was endlessly confusing, bombastic and, naturally, is remembered more and more fondly as time goes on. Indeed, as anyone who's attended any Spider-Man discussion panels at any convention in the last 15 years will tell you, "When is the Spider-Man clone coming back?" is among the most frequently asked questions of Marvel staffers.

The success of Marvel's popular and well regarded Spider-Island event has made what was once unthinkable seem inescapably necessary: a brand new Scarlet Spider series starring one of the '90s clones, and nobody is happier about it than artist Ryan Stegman. He's moved steadily up the Marvel ranks for the last few years to earn this ongoing gig, and shares with us some notes from his sketchbook of Scarlet Spider designs.

As revealed to many readers in the Point One one-shot released last month, the new Scarlet Spider is a man called Kaine. Created by the villain Jackal, Kaine is one of a series of clones based on the DNA of Peter Parker. Unlike the more famous Spider-clone known as Ben Reilly, who was a perfect duplicate of Parker, Kaine was a failure. His ceaseless genetic degeneration and various mutations made him hideous to behold and violent in the extreme. But Kaine redeemed himself during Spider-Island, when he helped Spider-Man save New York from crisis and cure himself of his many disfigurements and more dangerous powers. Now in possession of Peter Parker's "stealth suit," Kaine was last seen hitchhiking to Texas in a distinctly David Banner-like fashion.

Written by Christopher Yost, Scarlet Spider #1 goes on sale January 11, 2012. In preparation for the series, Ryan Stegman worked with editor Stephen Wacker to create an iconic look for Kaine's new idiom as a brooding, meaner version of Spider-Man. The process included many revisions, and the artist shared those and his commentary exclusively with ComicsAlliance.

This was my first drawing of Kaine for the
Point One special. I was trying to figure out what he would wear. I wanted it to be something nondescript because Kaine is trying to blend in. Also, if you notice on the facial drawing, I have a scar across his nose. For a while we were toying with the idea of leaving one scar that Kaine couldn't escape to remind him of the past. But this one was too much. So I did away with it.

This one was me throwing stuff against the wall. I had already come up with the black mask with red eyes and this was a variation on the idea. The whole time I tried to keep simplicity in mind, and this is about as simple as it gets. It just turned out to be not as cool as the one we chose!

This is a variation on the above costume, just blue instead of black. Thank goodness for the magic wand tool in Photoshop. I turned in the previous design and Steve wanted to see it in blue so I just threw this together. I don't like it... It's too "colorful". Kaine is dark and menacing. This is just slightly too happy. I blame Steve.

Again, this is a variation on the same one that has red with black. I still blame Steve.

This is ultimately the same as the one we chose. But on his shoulders we have red triangles coming up and over. Those would have been from the spider logo on his back. I ultimately decided to do away with that aspect because I just wanted it simplified.

This is essentially the Amazing Spider-Man's stealth suit design, but in different colors. The idea was that Peter would give Kaine this costume after
Spider Island, which he did. But it had to be changed because this costume looks too "Peter" to me. It works for him because it's kind of got a tech feel. But what does Kaine know about tech? Not a whole lot.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #64
Ultra Magnus
Autobot City Commander

This is a reversal of the black and red costume below. It takes the idea of the stealth suit, but I think the logo is cooler and looks more Kaine. At this point I was trying to talk myself into black eyes on a red mask, but it's just not as cool as red eyes on a black mask. This is probably my 3rd favorite of the designs, and I'd have been happy to use it though.

This is the design that we settled on. It's clean, classic and simple. I have to give some credit to Skottie Young, who helped a lot with this design. Skottie is a design genius. He should probably design all of Marvel's characters. After we came up wit this look, I decided that the black part would be made of a sort of patent leather. When I render it out that way I think it looks pretty awesome and menacing. And awesome and menacing stuff is...Awesome.

This is my second favorite design. I would have been totally happy using this one. I still think it's cool. It's got all the things that I wanted. It really screams Kaine to me.

Just a blue version of what we ended up on. Pretty lame right?!

And a blue version of the one that I like above. I would not have been happy using this one. It's funny how much the color can mean to a character. But this just doesn't look like Kaine to me.

I like this one. I just felt that the logo was a bit hard to read. I toyed with the idea of making his arms all black in a few of the designs, but I didn't like it as much as the red. I was afraid that this logo didn't read as a spider. It's interesting, but it just wasn't quite what I wanted.

And a dark blue version of the final. STEVE'S FAULT.

Finally, this is the one we chose. I did a nicer tighter sketch in case other artists need to draw characters for variant covers or whatever. But when you put the front and back together, it's pretty badass, no? This guy looks tough and mean.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #65
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Hmmm, interesting, indeed. I'm happy with the one they whent with though.

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Old 11-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #66
KingMob
Nothing to see here

Yeah, I like the final version, but the red and black stealth suit would have been great.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #67
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Magnus View Post
This one is cool but... it reminds me too much of Spider-Man's original Black costume sketch designs...

Maybe they should have picked this one...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #68
SpideyInATree
Never Go Full Retard

I actually really like that all black with the red spider in the center. Would make more sense for Kaine's character and add a bit more stealth when going after villains, bad guys.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #69
Ultra Magnus
Autobot City Commander

The possibilities for a new Spider-Man or Scarlet Spider costume are endless, but I like the Scarlet Spider costume they chose. Good decision.
I might have added something like a belt or something in black to seperate the torso from the legs.
But as I said, I am fine with the new Scarlet Spider costume. Too much black just wouldn't fit.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #70
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
This one is cool but... it reminds me too much of Spider-Man's original Black costume sketch designs...

Maybe they should have picked this one...

It reminded me of that as well. However, I'm happy they whent with the one they did instead.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:47 AM   #71
Kahoot

If Black was the main colour he wouldn't really be the Scarlet Spider.

For Everything A Reason
Fallen Empires Are Ruling
F.E.A.R.
Kahoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #72
ben_reilly_s_s
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoot View Post
If Black was the main colour he wouldn't really be the Scarlet Spider.

Ben "likes" this...

My 3DS friend code: 2492-4192-0317
My XboX GamerTag: KaineKinetic
ben_reilly_s_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #73
Ultra Magnus
Autobot City Commander

Psych Ward: Scarlet Spider

Previous Comics Story Next Comics Story

Psych Ward: Scarlet Spider

Before assuming a new alter ego and heading south to Houston, Kaine allows our therapist to evaluate him
Posted Nov 28, 2011 3:42 pm
Updated Nov 28, 2011 3:55 pm

By Tim Stevens
Kaine (NLN) is an adult male who appears to be in above average physical shape. He claims to be a clone, something impossible for this writer to verify but does appear to be true given that his appearance is a near mirror of another client of this office.

In session, Kaine is generally cooperative, although he can be reactive at times. He is prone to bitter sarcasm, usually directed at himself, but sometimes turned on others if he perceives he is being judged. He shows strong signs of wanting to change. This commitment, though, is often undercut by feelings of hopelessness and self-repudiation.
Formerly, Kaine suffered from a degenerative condition—apparently not uncommon to clones created by Dr. Miles Warren—that left him disfigured and affected his personality, cognitive processes, and ability to process emotions. As such, he was often violent, cruel and prone to great resentment towards the man he was cloned from.
Somehow recently, this has changed, and although the client was not entirely clear on the details, it involved his seeming death, resurrection during the so-called “Spider-Island” incident in New York City, and subsequent “curing” of his mutation into a monstrous spider-like creature. Unlike many, however, Kaine retained certain abilities, like the ability to stick to walls, a sort of early warning system for danger, strength, stamina, sharp bony protrusions, and the ability to “shoot” webs from his wrists.

While the client appears to have been cured of whatever maladies were inherent in being a clone and no physical defects are turned up in the physical exam performed by the staff, interacting with the world around him is still problematic. The organic causes of his rage, resentment, inability to express emotions in a healthy manner, and limited empathy have been removed. However, having lived his life for years in this state, it remains the only way he knows. In essence: nature has been taken out of the equation, but nurture remains.
As such, Kaine grapples with how to make a place for himself in the world. He is able to recognize that he has no reason to resent the man who is his genetic identical but still has those feelings in him after years of accepting their truthfulness. He feels increased empathy but struggles with how to express it and the guilt and shame he feels having lived a life relatively free of concern for others for years.

Social skills also present a problem. Given the nature of his appearance and abilities, Kaine has spent much of his existence in the shadows, interacting with very few people and in ways that would be charitably described as “outside the norm.” For the first time, he is now able to be social in a more typical way and he finds the thought of it to be confusing, exhilarating, and frightening all at once.
Finally, the client is searching for purpose. He feels that he can now live a life more on his own terms, but finds himself unclear on what he might want or how to go about achieving it. He does not wish to ignore the “gifts” he has but he also does not wish to live a carbon copy life and is trying to find a way to honor both drives.
Part of that process for him demands, in his opinion, that he leave New York City and find somewhere else to call home. As such, he will be unable to continue to meet with this writer. He has, however, agreed to take sessions with other colleagues focusing on the goals described above.
Kaine’s first appointment with Doctors Chris Yost and Ryan Stegman is scheduled for January 11. All information about the client can be found in file SCARLET SPIDER #1.
Psy D. Candidate Tim Stevens, MA is a Practicum Trainee at a community mental health facility and a Dialectical Behavior Therapy Consultant.

More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/story/17117/p...#ixzz1f2UtrOwQ

Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #74
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Once again, thanks for posting.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #75
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Aloha,
Great analysis.
So Scarlet Spider has organic webbing?
Spidey rules

Donald Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote