The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 11-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #26
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should the ending foreshadow the sequel?

This movie is not Batman, and the director has an iffy track record at best. I say no foreshadowing without knowing if the movie even deserves a sequel. Green Lantern was almost unsalvageable, and look what they did to try and set up for some Pt. 2 that may never materialize?

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #27
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru-zod2501 View Post
This movie is not Batman, and the director has an iffy track record at best. I say no foreshadowing without knowing if the movie even deserves a sequel. Green Lantern was almost unsalvageable, and look what they did to try and set up for some Pt. 2 that may never materialize?
All the more reason to foreshadow

Old 11-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #28
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Only in the loosest of ways, so that the sequel does not put itself into a corner before it even gets going.
Batman Begins did it well enough, we learn the Joker is around but nothing is set in stone that we have to see him. But I'm darned glad we did!

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #29
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
All the more reason to foreshadow
how do you figure?! Sequel Foreshadowing in a failed movie just pisses me off because it's nothing but more wasted potential on top of whatever I just had to to suffer through watching

dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #30
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru-zod2501 View Post
how do you figure?! Sequel Foreshadowing in a failed movie just pisses me off because it's nothing but more wasted potential on top of whatever I just had to to suffer through watching
Not to jump the gun here, but I really feel like MOS is gonna be a successful movie atleast. For one Superman the name itself puts people in seats that love or even know of superman.... This movie has to go all out and build franchise no matter what happens. If they do foreshadow and we don't get a sequel why does matter it matter anyway? It can only help IMO

Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #31
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not to jump the gun here, but I really feel like MOS is gonna be a successful movie atleast. For one Superman the name itself puts people in seats that love or even know of superman.... This movie has to go all out and build franchise no matter what happens. If they do foreshadow and we don't get a sequel why does matter it matter anyway? It can only help IMO
Tell that to Green Lantern, which wasted a whole movies worth of character in the name of fanboy lip service. It was the final middle finger from a movie that was already quite poor.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #32
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
Tell that to Green Lantern, which wasted a whole movies worth of character in the name of fanboy lip service. It was the final middle finger from a movie that was already quite poor.
Superman isn't green lantern......I'll just leave it at that

Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #33
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Superman isn't green lantern......I'll just leave it at that
And that makes him immune to poorly conceived credit cookies?

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #34
The Batman
The Dark Knight

No. At this point it's become more and more of a gimmick.

They should focus more on telling a great superman story rather than have easter eggs and in jokes for fans who are gonna see the movie anyway. Like someone else said, this is all or nothing. Focus on making Superman accessible to the general audience with ONE movie instead of trying to hint at more.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #35
Tra-El
Side-Kick

I think it's only smart to include it because obviously, it's setting up for Superman to be the next big thing. The pace Superman is going, before having a hookline for a sequel at the end, they are going to have to be firing on ALL cylinders throughout the movie to keep the fans interested for a climactic ending.

If they put out Man of Steel to what people are expecting for it to be and if they hit it like they did Batman Begins, then I can see the hook-line for the sequel being quick, to the point and leave the audience wondering with excitement.

IMHO, Brainiac is INEVITABLE for a sequel, it's time for Brainiac for the big screen.

Maybe have the ending do something like Superman being obviously bothered by Alien and Kryptonian-like language and interference through his Super hearing and the screen cut to one of Earth's satellites out in outer space orbiting Earth and then out of nowhere have Brainiac's ship with the intimidating tentacles slowly move by one of the satellites in an eerie fashion then end credits. Quick, easy but effective.

Tra-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #36
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra-El View Post
I think it's only smart to include it because obviously, it's setting up for Superman to be the next big thing. The pace Superman is going, before having a hookline for a sequel at the end, they are going to have to be firing on ALL cylinders throughout the movie to keep the fans interested for a climactic ending.

If they put out Man of Steel to what people are expecting for it to be and if they hit it like they did Batman Begins, then I can see the hook-line for the sequel being quick, to the point and leave the audience wondering with excitement.

IMHO, Brainiac is INEVITABLE for a sequel, it's time for Brainiac for the big screen.

Maybe have the ending do something like Superman being obviously bothered
by Alien and Kryptonian-like language and interference through his Super
hearing and the screen cut to one of Earth's satellites out in outer space
orbiting Earth and then out of nowhere have Brainiac's ship with the
intimidating tentacles slowly move by one of the satellites in an eerie fashion
then end credits. Quick, easy but effective.
This.....that's all they have to do, building excitement is the key

Old 11-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #37
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
And that makes him immune to poorly conceived credit cookies?
No he isn't lol, sorry I read your post wrong....but superman doesn't have to follow that format at all....it can be quick and straight to the point

Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #38
Weadazoid
Side-Kick

yup, I want Brainiack with his alien tech AND Psy abilities and inteligence to be a real challenge to Superman.

Then we get Darksiede for 3 a being who is actually physically stronger then Superman, even if he can't Fly

Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #39
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

I agree with dru...that there should be no foreshadowing. After Superman Returns, no movie especially a superman movie should automatically assume they will get a sequel. They should definitely focus on making a good movie, not worrying about possible future movies.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #40
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
I agree with dru...that there should be no foreshadowing. After Superman Returns, no movie especially a superman movie should automatically assume they will get a sequel. They should definitely focus on making a good movie, not worrying about possible future movies.
But why can't they do both?

Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #41
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Just make sure the darn movie is good and a success, don't worry about a sequel until a sequel is an actual fact instead of an assumption. The last Superman movie worried about things making better sense in the sequel and said sequel never happened.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #42
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
Just make sure the darn movie is good and a success, don't worry about a sequel until a sequel is an actual fact instead of an assumption. The last Superman movie worried about things making better sense in the sequel and said sequel never happened.
Yo. 1+.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:52 AM   #43
Spaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
But why can't they do both?
My thoughts exactly. I'm trying to understand why it has to be one or the other. Did not Begins achieve both?

Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #44
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
My thoughts exactly. I'm trying to understand why it has to be one or the other. Did not Begins achieve both?
It did.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #45
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Yea exactly....why would it hurt the film?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #46
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Yea exactly....why would it hurt the film?
Well, if it's included for fan service or strictly to set up the sequel it can feel tagged on and cheesy like with the Marvel films. Begins is different because it is a natural outgrowth of the story. The Batman-Gordon scene with the Joker card is about the consequences of what happened in the film. It is the denouement of the story told as well as a teaser of the next film. There should only be foreshadowing if it is a natural part of the story being told in this film. That, in my opinion, is how Begins was able to "do both".

DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #47
Weadazoid
Side-Kick

Cheasy??? How so? If anything The GL sequence where for no reason what so ever SInestro embraces Fear in the form of ring.

Yeah.... the end of Iron Man 2 seemed odd cuase it just almost didn't fit, but it worked.

Tony Stark showing up at the end of the increadible Hulk was CLASSIC.

Selvig being called in to look at the cube was also great.

The end of Cap hardly felt tacked on or cheasy

Old 12-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #48
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weadazoid View Post
Cheasy??? How so? If anything The GL sequence where for no reason what so ever SInestro embraces Fear in the form of ring.

Yeah.... the end of Iron Man 2 seemed odd cuase it just almost didn't fit, but it worked.

Tony Stark showing up at the end of the increadible Hulk was CLASSIC.

Selvig being called in to look at the cube was also great.

The end of Cap hardly felt tacked on or cheasy
I think fear is the main reason some of us dont want foreshadowing....which I do understand, but I just don't see how it hurts the film if done right..??

Old 12-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #49
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

I'd like to see maybe just a hint of a sequel teaser but then again what if the movie bombs?

Or how about this, why don't they leave the teaser for the DVD/BR release, back when Back To The Future was first released on VHS only then was the "TO BE CONTINUED" added.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #50
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I vote for no sequel hints but I don't that they won't hint at a sequel, at this point it's become mandatory for a wannabe blockbuster to hint at a sequel.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 12-06-2011 at 01:44 PM.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote