The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Cavill's Superman costume include the Red Trunks?
The Trunks stay! 101 48.10%
The Trunks gotta go! 48 22.86%
I don't care if the Trunks stay or go! 61 29.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #26
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
Truth. Trunks or not, there was always going to be immature viewers who focused on his crotch and went "eww!!!"

There will always be men terrified of even the idea of a penis that isn't their own.
I know!

It all comes down to how we all just need to get more comfortable with the new costume.

My drawing of it.

Last edited by Hunter Rider; 11-16-2011 at 07:27 PM. Reason: lol but not for here.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #27
not_a_victim
Side-Kick

Yeah, you're gonna want to pull this before the mods see it.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #28
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

they already have

Old 11-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #29
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Spider-Man's costume is designed in such a way that it doesn't draw the eye to there.
Just a big red arrow pointing to it.

Quote:
Nor does Captain Marvel's, because the belt is more like a sash, the cape and boots are more ornate, and he has the gauntlets-which they tried to copy with the MOS costume to a degree. With Flash, the mask and the lightning bolt lines draw the eye.
Well, so MoS suit ahs Marvel's gauntlets, a big red cape and the regular boots but somehow this time it is not enough.

And Flash, after the TV series he has the lightning bolt belt pointing to the crotch.

Quote:
And yes, I know Snyder's last movie featured a huge blue dong as well. That's why people were laughing every time Dr. Manhattan appeared on screen when I went to see it, and another poster who attended a viewing in NYC, of all places, actually saw people get up and leave the theater. Which I didn't care about it in Watchmen, as it is not for children and any adult that would take their kid to see it is a poor parent anyway, IMO, but Superman is different. you should be able to take your kids to see a Superman movie.
Watchmen the movie must be your Paradise. If they show Manhattan's thing, you can complain to no end that people were laughing at it. If Snyder had covered it, you could complain to no end that Snyder was betraying the authors' original design.

Ah, I remember the times when Robin was on Batman Forever, they decided to keep the red trunks and people werw complaining that it was the red that attracted attention to the crotch area.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #30
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryudoz View Post
No, he's merely saying that the costume is a good try at replacing the trunks with something else but ultimately fails to accomplish it's goal. He was merely using Dr. Manhattan's example in the larger scope of Watchmen as being faithful to the translation with the content on the whole not being very family/kid friendly. Whereas he feels a Superman movie should be for everyone, not just adults.

Personally I think the costume is okay. Nothing mind blowing, but nothing sacrilegious. There are elements that I like (the texture, the cape attachment, as well as the shield) and elements I don't (the midriff detailing, non-existent belt). While I've never particularly cared for the trunks, I think this design is definitely lacking an element of color around his midsection. If the detailing were another color, it'd be more pleasing to the eye, but as it stands I'd call this along a similar vein: a nice try, but it falls a little short.

Either way I think this will work fine within the context of this film. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I think the suit could be better.
No, I DO think it is inappropiate for children because I think it is way too obvious. I don't think children need to see that, and it is too blatant as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Just a big red arrow pointing to it.

Well, so MoS suit ahs Marvel's gauntlets, a big red cape and the regular boots but somehow this time it is not enough.

And Flash, after the TV series he has the lightning bolt belt pointing to the crotch.

Watchmen the movie must be your Paradise. If they show Manhattan's thing, you can complain to no end that people were laughing at it. If Snyder had covered it, you could complain to no end that Snyder was betraying the authors' original design.

Ah, I remember the times when Robin was on Batman Forever, they decided to keep the red trunks and people werw complaining that it was the red that attracted attention to the crotch area.
I am adding you to my ignore list as well since the idea that this costume is inappropriate for a kids movie seems to be a joke to you; please do not troll my posts like moviedoors continues to do.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #31
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, I DO think it is inappropiate for children because I think it is way too obvious. I don't think children need to see that, and it is too blatant as is.

I am adding you to my ignore list as well since the idea that this costume is inappropriate for a kids movie seems to be a joke to you; please do not troll my posts like moviedoors continues to do.
I'm not trolling you. I'm challenging you. And think its a bit over the top to say this costume is literally inappropriate for children. Children aren't that fragile. Are the Olympics or ballet inappropriate for children? Football? Green Lantern?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #32
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
I am adding you to my ignore list as well since the idea that this costume is inappropriate for a kids movie seems to be a joke to you;
Before you block me tell me please that you believe that MoS suit being inappropriate for children is actually a serious matter. I mean, I wanted to see Snyder arrested for making Sucker Punch. Maybe now it is finally going to happen?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #33
Kurosawa
Banned User

Yes, if that region is as prominent on film as it is in the set pictures, then yes, I think it is very, very inappropriate for children.

Now, it could be the way Superman moves and the way the movie is lit, that it might not be noticed. And it cannot be noticeable in stills from the movie either. It's not right for a kids movie.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #34
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes, if that region is as prominent on film as it is in the set pictures, then yes, I think it is very, very inappropriate for children.

Now, it could be the way Superman moves and the way the movie is lit, that it might not be noticed. And it cannot be noticeable in stills from the movie either. It's not right for a kids movie.
Again, I had some completely unbiased people look at the classic costume and the first thing their eyes were drawn to were Routh's crotchial area. So your precious red undies did nothing but help bring attention there. Perhaps it is just you trying to find a way to make something new and different that much more heinous in your eyes?

Also, if the new Superman costume is bad in this area, then the new Spidey costume is downright illegal.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #35
camp Blood
For your health!

I hate everything except the color

I like the red and blue they're using

Old 11-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #36
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDW2 View Post
Again, I had some completely unbiased people look at the classic costume and the first thing their eyes were drawn to were Routh's crotchial area. So your precious red undies did nothing but help bring attention there. Perhaps it is just you trying to find a way to make something new and different that much more heinous in your eyes?

Also, if the new Superman costume is bad in this area, then the new Spidey costume is downright illegal.

The new Spider-Man costume should be illegal just for how freaking ugly it is.

Oh, and I don't believe you about Routh.

And they are TRUNKS, not what you called them. No Superman fan would ridicule his costume as designed by his creator.

Last edited by Kurosawa; 11-16-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #37
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Spider man's costume looks bad when he is just standing doing nothing (that is whenever he is not moving) so does the new MoS costume.

*\S/T*
Old 11-17-2011, 12:37 AM   #38
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
How did I know that the person who conveniently ignores all fact that does not support his point would ignore the opinions of two people who completely contradict what he fanatically believes in?

That is what they said, whether you want to get out of your isolated shell and believe it or not. Two people who could give less of a damn about Superman, who have no reason to lie about anything, said that Routh's Superman pic with trunks still led their eyes right to the area that you seem to have such a problem with. Though honestly, why a grown man seems to have such an infantile problem with a movie superhero's costume completely baffles me. I've seen stretching to find a problem with something before, but saying that the new Superman costume is obscene because his junk pokes out? That's stretching so hard you might as well call yourself Mister Fantastic.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 AM   #39
souperman
Side-Dish

I am astonished at the amount of interest in Cavill's anatomical attributes.

Some of the comments here would make one think that some people have never been to a museum, or a beach , or a ballet, or a baseball game for that matter. Are all these disgusting? Are all these inappropriate for children?

Honestly, I find some of these over blown statements much more disturbing than this suit. I could see if there was some unusual or conspicuous or unnatural bulge there, maybe they would need to address it, but this is getting out of hand.

Cavell's attributes are neither unusual or disproportionately obvious nor do the lack of bright red trunks add to the obviousness or draw more attention to that area than if he were wearing them.

Just relax, this is Superman for goodness sake. As long as it is handled in an appropriate manor, all will be fine.

(now, I realize that I left some juicy innuendos and double ententes up there, so be careful how you respond)

Lois: Call me Lois. Come on, I'll take you to lunch and show you the ropes.
Clark: That'd be great Lois ,...but no Shawarma.

http://soupermanshh.deviantart.com/
Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 AM   #40
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDW2 View Post
How did I know that the person who conveniently ignores all fact that does not support his point would ignore the opinions of two people who completely contradict what he fanatically believes in?

That is what they said, whether you want to get out of your isolated shell and believe it or not. Two people who could give less of a damn about Superman, who have no reason to lie about anything, said that Routh's Superman pic with trunks still led their eyes right to the area that you seem to have such a problem with. Though honestly, why a grown man seems to have such an infantile problem with a movie superhero's costume completely baffles me. I've seen stretching to find a problem with something before, but saying that the new Superman costume is obscene because his junk pokes out? That's stretching so hard you might as well call yourself Mister Fantastic.
Meh, you're all about defending anything that goes against tradition anyway, so who cares?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #41
painter
New User - Level 0

Everyman can be a Superman in their own way..That's the point of a superhero!!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:20 AM   #42
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Meh, you're all about defending anything that goes against tradition anyway, so who cares?
An oversimplification of a counter argument? From you? Shocking!

Old 11-17-2011, 01:55 AM   #43
spider_rob
Banned User

All spandex superhero movie costumes have had dong issues. You never notice it in the actual movies because the camera doesn't focus on that area. It's only obvious in stills. Comics don't have that problem because the artist can choose how much they want to accentuate the bulge. Most don't.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:52 AM   #44
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_rob View Post
All spandex superhero movie costumes have had dong issues. You never notice it in the actual movies because the camera doesn't focus on that area. It's only obvious in stills. Comics don't have that problem because the artist can choose how much they want to accentuate the bulge. Most don't.

Even the Thing has one in that picture! That's just what tight spandex costumes do. Show off the anatomy of the person wearing them.

But no, that can't be it. It must be because the makers of the new Superman costume hate Seigel and Schuster and are anti-Semites who want to minimalize their entire contribution to the character and throw something obscene in children's faces.

Did I get every ridiculous claim into that last paragraph? Yes, I think I did.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:41 AM   #45
TheBat812
Side-Kick

oh, kurosawa... i would put him on ignore if he didnt crack me up so much, haha.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:49 AM   #46
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:

And they are TRUNKS, not what you called them. No Superman fan would ridicule his costume as designed by his creator.
Except that you are ridiculing it.

Superman's suit has been skin tight since the very first drawing. Absolutely no version of the Superman suit avoids that, other than the new DCNU one because it's armour.

With Spandex, we've always been able to see the package. It doesn't matter whether you have just one layer of spandex or wear a second layer of trunks on top, you still see the package. And your eye is just as drawn to it! Neither way makes a difference AT ALL!

How is that any less eye catching?

If anything, i'd say that the MOS suit was MORE modest in that area, because there is an element of padding that doesn't allow us to see the natural shape like we can in the Fantastic Four pics and a bit in the above pic.

And it's a thicker material anyway, so not quite as revealing.

Basically, IMO, if your saying that wearing an outfit that is tight around the crotch is inappropriate for a children's movie... your saying Superman is inappropriate for children. Because he's always worn an outfit that is tight around the crotch...

And that is a criticism of the original creators is it not?

Maybe you would have preffered something similar to the DCNU, so that Supes could be in an armour suit that would make the crotch area completely hidden...

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 11-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #47
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Except that you are ridiculing it.

Superman's suit has been skin tight since the very first drawing. Absolutely no version of the Superman suit avoids that, other than the new DCNU one because it's armour.

With Spandex, we've always been able to see the package. It doesn't matter whether you have just one layer of spandex or wear a second layer of trunks on top, you still see the package. And your eye is just as drawn to it! Neither way makes a difference AT ALL!

How is that any less eye catching?

If anything, i'd say that the MOS suit was MORE modest in that area, because there is an element of padding that doesn't allow us to see the natural shape like we can in the Fantastic Four pics and a bit in the above pic.

And it's a thicker material anyway, so not quite as revealing.

Basically, IMO, if your saying that wearing an outfit that is tight around the crotch is inappropriate for a children's movie... your saying Superman is inappropriate for children. Because he's always worn an outfit that is tight around the crotch...

And that is a criticism of the original creators is it not?

Maybe you would have preffered something similar to the DCNU, so that Supes could be in an armour suit that would make the crotch area completely hidden...
That is pretty much right. The only hero that doesn't have spandex bulge is Batman because he wears armor. So I guess the only costume that won't send Kurosawa screaming from the theater shouting, "Oh God won't someone please think of the children!!!" is a set of metal trousers.

And the fact that I just wrote a paragraph on superhero underwear and the effect it has on children should show all but the most hysterical of fanboys just how ludicrous this discussion has gotten.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #48
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

I know... I feel genuinely embarrased that this is what we are talking about. It's one of those moments where you really really hope Cavill ISN'T reading this.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 11-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #49
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Haha.

:

I agree.

Anyways I hope they arrest Fantastic 4 for indecency and someone please dynamite DaVinci's David because audiences are laughing at it, leaving the museums in disgust and perverting children.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:43 AM   #50
ifriedrice
Side-Kick

Updating an image

Last edited by ifriedrice; 11-17-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Closed Thread