The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Cavill's Superman costume include the Red Trunks?
The Trunks stay! 101 48.10%
The Trunks gotta go! 48 22.86%
I don't care if the Trunks stay or go! 61 29.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #51
epc11223
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 20

hi everyone, i'm back from vacation ) i see that now that kurosowa was owned about traditional vs non traditional, he's taking a stance on his crotch! oiy. never fails when someone loses his debate and grasps at straws at something so ridiculous. his package was also an issue for superman returns where i've read that they digitally had to make his package smaller, and that was with trunks being included in the film. i guess there shouldn't be a wonder woman movie because that would be too provocative since she wears like a half a shirt? how in the world did spider-man become such a kid friendly movie and money juggernaut? i think some people have talked about this already, i'm just not believing this is an actual debate now!

Old 11-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #52
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Last edited by Hunter Rider; Reason: lol but not for here.

Hmmm... Well in the spirit of Internet Censorship day, (for god sakes google it I'm not joking on this one) for those who missed my impression of our new Superman.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #53
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc11223 View Post
hi everyone, i'm back from vacation ) i see that now that kurosowa was owned about traditional vs non traditional, he's taking a stance on his crotch! oiy. never fails when someone loses his debate and grasps at straws at something so ridiculous. his package was also an issue for superman returns where i've read that they digitally had to make his package smaller, and that was with trunks being included in the film. i guess there shouldn't be a wonder woman movie because that would be too provocative since she wears like a half a shirt? how in the world did spider-man become such a kid friendly movie and money juggernaut? i think some people have talked about this already, i'm just not believing this is an actual debate now!
I dont know why we r discussing the crotch/bulge here. It is perfectly normal to see the bulge when man wears tights. In fact it is odd to me to see routh doesnt have much bulge in SR.
This talk is redicious. The new suit seems incomplete n doesnt look better than the classic suit. That.s it.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #54
Vagosnati
Vag-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
I dont know why we r discussing the crotch/bulge here. It is perfectly normal to see the bulge when man wears tights. In fact it is odd to me to see routh doesnt have much bulge in SR.
This talk is redicious. The new suit seems incomplete n doesnt look better than the classic suit. That.s it.
Τhe new suit is way better than the original.and that is telling a huge fan of old costume,except the trunks,i never liked them.but this talks and compleins must stop one day.whoever dont like the new suit,he is free to pass,and do not see the movie.this is the costume,and it will not change.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #55
Superman Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post

Hmmm... Well in the spirit of Internet Censorship day, (for god sakes google it I'm not joking on this one) for those who missed my impression of our new Superman.

*scratches head*

What's with the hairdo?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #56
El Payaso
Banned User

Confirmed. Black squares attract the attention to the hairdo!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #57
Ryudoz
Cleaning woman?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
No, I DO think it is inappropiate for children because I think it is way too obvious. I don't think children need to see that, and it is too blatant as is.
My apologies, I apparently misunderstood your position somewhat. I do agree with you. I certainly wouldn't want my child watching Watchmen either, but would hope that I would be okay with him watching any Superman movie. I'm cautiously optimistic that it should be fine with Man of Steel, but I've been wrong before.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #58
Tyrone Parker
The real black Spiderman

Quote:
Yes, if that region is as prominent on film as it is in the set pictures, then yes, I think it is very, very inappropriate for children.

Now, it could be the way Superman moves and the way the movie is lit, that it might not be noticed. And it cannot be noticeable in stills from the movie either. It's not right for a kids movie.
You've got some personal issues and a sick mind. Thats something a kid would not even notice unless its pointed to them by someone like yourself. I never even noticed it in F4 until I saw those pics here.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #59
batman44
Go Speed GO

Maybe something is wrong with me, but my eye is drawn to the \s/ on the MOS costume.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #60
camp Blood
For your health!

me its the belt then the S

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 11-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #61
spider_rob
Banned User

Wow, I can't believe I said that.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #62
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_rob View Post
Wow, I can't believe I said that.
Me either....so I deleted it.

Keep it clean in here people.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #63
TheDragonator
Banned User

So Superman not having trunks makes him 'inappropriate for children', now?

You act as if the film is going to have his crotch on screen the entire film. It's not comparable to Watchmen at all, since, you know, Superman's not naked.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #64
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

Oddly enough, my visual atention with the new suit does NOT go to the crotch area but to the non blue areas. When I see the suit my atention goes to the head, the /S/ and (oddly enough) the hands. I believe that the red trunks are actually eye catching, so the lack of them actually DIVERT the eyes from the crotch into the non-blue areas of the entire superman figure. I believe you are focusing your attention in there because of how used you are for Supes to have the trunks, and not because the all blue suit makes you focus on his genitals.

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Old 11-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #65
Karelia
We Are Groot

Like others have said, you most likely won't be noticing any "bulge" or be drawn to his trunkless area when actually watching the film. Sure, you can notice it in a still image, but doubtful you will when actually watching the film. Hopefully we will be too distracted watching Supes own Zod

Guardians of the Galaxy
Old 11-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #66
egarza
Esto!

Thumbs up Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I know... I feel genuinely embarrased that this is what we are talking about. It's one of those moments where you really really hope Cavill ISN'T reading this.
Yeah, we need new pix to discuss other details.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #67
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
I know... I feel genuinely embarrased that this is what we are talking about. It's one of those moments where you really really hope Cavill ISN'T reading this.
I hope he is.

If I had his e-mail adress I'd send him my original art work in poster size.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #68
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egarza View Post
Yeah, we need new pix to discuss other details.
Yes!

Seriously, i'd rather be back at the point of the official pic release when we had an offical hair discussion thread... even that was less embarrasing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
I hope he is.

If I had his e-mail adress I'd send him my original art work in poster size.
You have no shame

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #69
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_rob View Post
All spandex superhero movie costumes have had dong issues. You never notice it in the actual movies because the camera doesn't focus on that area. It's only obvious in stills. Comics don't have that problem because the artist can choose how much they want to accentuate the bulge. Most don't.

Just more proof that a single color costume doesn't work.

Quote:
Except that you are ridiculing it.

Superman's suit has been skin tight since the very first drawing. Absolutely no version of the Superman suit avoids that, other than the new DCNU one because it's armour.

With Spandex, we've always been able to see the package. It doesn't matter whether you have just one layer of spandex or wear a second layer of trunks on top, you still see the package. And your eye is just as drawn to it! Neither way makes a difference AT ALL!

How is that any less eye catching?

If anything, i'd say that the MOS suit was MORE modest in that area, because there is an element of padding that doesn't allow us to see the natural shape like we can in the Fantastic Four pics and a bit in the above pic.

And it's a thicker material anyway, so not quite as revealing.

Basically, IMO, if your saying that wearing an outfit that is tight around the crotch is inappropriate for a children's movie... your saying Superman is inappropriate for children. Because he's always worn an outfit that is tight around the crotch...

And that is a criticism of the original creators is it not?

Maybe you would have preffered something similar to the DCNU, so that Supes could be in an armour suit that would make the crotch area completely hidden...
The MOS costume was not designed by Superman's creator, it was designed by a nobody costume designer because modern fans are embarrassed by the classic costume.

And it's not noticeable at all in the picture of Chris Reeve. You see the costume, the eye goes straight to the \S/, and then to his face, like it should. Routh's costume did the same thing. When something is so radically wrong (no red trunks), you automatically look where the mistake has been made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epc11223 View Post
Aren't there rules about discussing just the subject and not the individual posters?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #70
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

Quote:

When something is so radically wrong (no red trunks), you automatically look where the mistake has been made.

¿Radically wrong or diferent?
We (and the general audience) focus our atention on it NOW because it is the most obious change, but not because an all blue suit enfatizes the crotch.
And MOS isn´t even an all blue suit, there is the shield, and the cape and the boots, so it will just take some time for us to ignore his nether regions and apreciate the overall design of the piece.

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Old 11-18-2011, 01:03 AM   #71
Kurosawa
Banned User

Wrong. Not different.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:05 AM   #72
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Nah, different. Different, and pretty damn cool.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:43 AM   #73
camp Blood
For your health!

for me all those lines lead right to the gold oval belt buckle thing and that's what I look at first then its the symbol and long flowing red cape

Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 AM   #74
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
The MOS costume was not designed by Superman's creator, it was designed by a nobody costume designer because modern fans are embarrassed by the classic costume.

And it's not noticeable at all in the picture of Chris Reeve. You see the costume, the eye goes straight to the \S/, and then to his face, like it should. Routh's costume did the same thing. When something is so radically wrong (no red trunks), you automatically look where the mistake has been made.
I never said the MOS costume was designed by Superman's creator... so that was a pointless statement...

You've pretty much avoided my whole arguement about the costume being intended to be tight and revealing, and therefore if you find that inapproprate for children, your saying he was inappropriate for children from the beginnging... but whatever... you ignore a lot of my arguements when you can't find a way to be 'right'.

And if you really don't think Chris Reeve's crotch looks just as noticeable if not more so (to me) than Cavill's... then I really have nothing more to say.

You are simply seeing something I am not.

As for it being 'wrong'...

...well to be honest, discussions with you have become pretty pointless. I mean, I come on this forum for debates, not for childish 'Your wrong' 'No your wrong' exchanges.

If pretty much all you have to say is 'I'm right, your wrong' and anyone with something to contribute, like the fact their friends found SR's crotch noticeable (which is also true for me) makes you stick your fingers in your ear and say 'lalala I don't believe you'... then why are you even bothering to discuss Superman at all.

You don't want to learn anything, you don't want to share in others opinions, you don't want to see things from someone elses perspective.

All you seem to want is to put down people who have another perspective.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 11-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #75
Nevaratoiel
I don't bite... hard.

Quote:
I never said the MOS costume was designed by Superman's creator... so that was a pointless statement...

You've pretty much avoided my whole arguement about the costume being intended to be tight and revealing, and therefore if you find that inapproprate for children, your saying he was inappropriate for children from the beginnging... but whatever... you ignore a lot of my arguements when you can't find a way to be 'right'.

And if you really don't think Chris Reeve's crotch looks just as noticeable if not more so (to me) than Cavill's... then I really have nothing more to say.

You are simply seeing something I am not.

As for it being 'wrong'...

...well to be honest, discussions with you have become pretty pointless. I mean, I come on this forum for debates, not for childish 'Your wrong' 'No your wrong' exchanges.

If pretty much all you have to say is 'I'm right, your wrong' and anyone with something to contribute, like the fact their friends found SR's crotch noticeable (which is also true for me) makes you stick your fingers in your ear and say 'lalala I don't believe you'... then why are you even bothering to discuss Superman at all.

You don't want to learn anything, you don't want to share in others opinions, you don't want to see things from someone elses perspective.

All you seem to want is to put down people who have another perspective.
Although I agree with your view of keeping the trunks, Kuro, I also agree what Hopeful said here. Discussions are for people who have different opinions, but are open to other views and opinions. In the while I've been posting here in the Superman forums, I've seen what she (?) saying. What's the point in discussing something if you're not even willing to listen and consider what someone else is saying?

My view of the trunks is they should stay (and I'm not even going to have a go on the crotch discussion, in my opinion, distasteful). It's an essential part of the costume, among other things. BUT I do understand why people think change is necessary in a world that has changed from when the Superman character was created. I just don't see the point in changing something that has been iconic for such a long time.

Taylor Kitsch.org | Elfae.com
Closed Thread