The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Should Cavill's Superman costume include the Red Trunks?
The Trunks stay! 101 48.10%
The Trunks gotta go! 48 22.86%
I don't care if the Trunks stay or go! 61 29.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 AM   #101
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - - - - - - - - - - - Part 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
Stop picking on me!!!

Seriously though, I'm not worrying about anything, as I said I can care less about this subject and I prefer to be talking about the actual suit.

I simply go on what I see, and what I see is girls and "not so" straight men making a ton of comments about it around the web. Go on YouTube, look at what these people are saying, seriously do it! I'm not gonna repeat what I seen one gay gentleman say, but it's not forum friendly I can say that. I don't mean to come across like I feel your taking it, my point is that those who are more-so attracted to that part of Cavill's body are gonna be more likely to comment on it.

Not a big deal. How many girls comment on other girls chests??? Now how many men comment on woman's chests? In general of-course. My point.

Good call. I see what you mean, I just didn't want it to be said that all straight men DON'T notice the bulge... Which in IMO is taken away when the trunks are there, but whatever...

Though I've always been a breast man myself, and you can find plenty ladies that'll judge those

Old 11-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #102
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Seriously, am I on Kuro's ignore list and he just forgot to tell me?
Maybe I'm there too... Though I always try to support as much as I argue...

I had no idea there was even a way to ignore...

Old 11-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #103
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
I can't count how many men I showed Cavill as Sups too and not one of them mentioned his piece.
As silly as the topic is, I'm still curious how many men you showed this to...

Old 11-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #104
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Three academy awards versus creating Superman? Please.

You guys DO realize the reason superhero comics exist is because of Siegel and Shuster, right? The entire reason this website even exists all goes back to them.
Yes, they did a good thing.

They are men though. Not infallible Gods whose opinions and decisions should be taken as true fact. What they created in 1938 doesn't completely hold up in 2011. Times change. Fashions change. Characteristics and societal values change. The comic book medium itself has changed. More is expected of it in terms of storytelling and logic. When the costume was originally designed it was based on a circus strongman. If we are pretending for this new movie that Superman has just come into being, he would have to base his costume on the modern day equivalent of a circus strongman. A wrestler. And most wrestlers only wear the trunks. So the other option is to go completely alien. Which is what the new suit looks like. Alien clothing. Its not a superhero costume. Its his dad's work clothes. But because they are alien, they can double as Superman's costume. Kind of like how Batman's costume is just armor with a bat symbol on it. Because that makes sense and holds up to logic.

But hey, its not like I expect you to listen to any of this. You're probably going to accuse me of being a dead Jew hater or something and then quote from the gospel according to Siegel and Schuster. Then we'll talk some more about how Superman is exposing himself to the children and we'll lather, rinse, repeat. But go ahead. Prove me wrong.

Last edited by C. Lee; 11-19-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #105
Comics N' Toons
Let the Adventure Begin!

While I'll admit that Kuro's "Dead Jew" comments are a bit out there, he has his opinions and he's entitled to them. Just because a lot of you are revisionists who can't understand purist attitudes doesn't mean you have to knock him.

I would hope that most comic book fans realize that Superman (and other heroes) need to be portrayed on film as closely as possible to the source material.

the argument that "Times change. Fashions change. Characteristics and societal values change" doesn't exactly have to apply to a creation that was brought about in the early 20th century. Keep it true to what it is, stop arguing about a man's bulge and understand that updates don't have to mean dramatic changes.

Too many of these people who want Superman's trunks gone are often the same ones that say "Superman's gay because he's too powerful"

GET A LIFE

The reason why some fans come down on Batman 89 so hard since the Nolan films have been released is 2 fold: the Nolan films are newer and fans of the actual books don't read the 70's and 80's source material that the 89 film was based upon to understand how much more pure the 89 film is compared to the modern crime-drama trilogy that Nolan created.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #106
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDW2 View Post
When the costume was originally designed it was based on a circus strongman. If we are pretending for this new movie that Superman has just come into being, he would have to base his costume on the modern day equivalent of a circus strongman. A wrestler. And most wrestlers only wear the trunks. So the other option is to go completely alien. Which is what the new suit looks like. Alien clothing
Wait, but you have to preserve what the original creators had in mind... But no, silver age is most important where his blankets are alien but ma sewed it for him, AAAAARG!

Ideologies mixing... Reason deteriorating...

Last edited by C. Lee; 11-19-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #107
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATS N' HORNETS View Post
While I'll admit that Kuro's "Dead Jew" comments are a bit out there, he has his opinions and he's entitled to them. Just because a lot of you are revisionists who can't understand purist attitudes doesn't mean you have to knock him.

I would hope that most comic book fans realize that Superman (and other heroes) need to be portrayed on film as closely as possible to the source material.

the argument that "Times change. Fashions change. Characteristics and societal values change" doesn't exactly have to apply to a creation that was brought about in the early 20th century. Keep it true to what it is, stop arguing about a man's bulge and understand that updates don't have to mean dramatic changes.

Too many of these people who want Superman's trunks gone are often the same ones that say "Superman's gay because he's too powerful"

GET A LIFE
Thank you. That should solve all our problems...

Old 11-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #108
TheDragonator
Banned User

Quote:
The entire reason this website even exists all goes back to them.
Does that mean we need to want the costume they designed on film? No? Then that's pretty irrelevant.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:46 AM   #109
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

GET A LIFE
You're on a Superhero/Comic inspired forum debating about Superman's underwear which he wears on the outside of tights and you're telling others to "Get A Life".

Let's pump the brakes.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #110
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Quote:

GET A LIFE
I have a life.

So, now that's out of the way...

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 11-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #111
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Seriously, am I on Kuro's ignore list and he just forgot to tell me?
If you are, it's better that way.

Most likey, he couldn't come up with something inflammatory and insulting enough in response (re: MASH conversation from a few pages ago).

Old 11-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #112
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Oh yeah, I remember that...

Yeah, that is REALLY annoying... !

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 11-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #113
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I just wish people could say - I prefer for the suit to have trunks or I prefer for the suit to not have trunks - without trying to insult the people who think the opposite.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #114
EtherMagic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypJonian View Post
As silly as the topic is, I'm still curious how many men you showed this to...
I asked enough. I Manage a Hotel, it's usual that I have 4-5 hours internet time out my 8 hour shift. I have asked everyone from my employee's, to regular guest, to members of a Beatles Tribute band, to family members. Have not asked in a while though, but I will say, I'm surprised how many I have showed Cavill's set pics to that do not realize the trunks are gone! Infact, I can't recall one person off the bat pointing that out, I have to drill them to stair at the pic for a while to figure out that they are missing.

Anyone else experience this?

Old 11-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #115
epc11223
Side-Kick

Quote:

Aren't there rules about discussing just the subject and not the individual posters?

i wasn't saying anything about you, merely that no one was agreeing with you on "traditional vs a non traditional" suit, and that you went onto a more ridiculous topic of debate hoping to bad mouth the new movie suit. this is nothing like watchmen/dr. manhatten where his genitals are clearly exposed. the new suit is no different than spiderman/fantastic four which had absolutely no issues with. we have no seen the movie in it's proper lighting, only a few spy pictures, so i think this is an unnecessary topic of conversation. i say lets say seem real footage/clips/teasers before we completely write off a movie or say something is bad. before the spy pictures, mostly everyone seemed happy with the new superman suit that was officially released. some were unhappy with the color schemes, and prior to that we didn't know if there were trunks, but the general consensus was that people were happy with it.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #116
EtherMagic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I just wish people could say - I prefer for the suit to have trunks or I prefer for the suit to not have trunks - without trying to insult the people who think the opposite.

The trunk subject is like politics, everyone has there own opinion on the subject one way or another, and it's usually one person with a set mind trying to convince the other person with a set mind to get them to think how they think when it will never happen. It's a revolving door, it circles itself, pauses when news hits, then resurrects during the slow times.

Forum life

Old 11-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #117
epc11223
Side-Kick

i think technically the phantom was the first superhero, wasn't he? superman made it popular, but batman/spiderman/xmen i think kept the popularity of the superheroes up. especially since the dark knight by frank miller. this website, i think was originally intended to be more of a marvel/spiderman website, but it kind of grew into media/comics in general. i think first came superherohype, then comingsoon.net for more movie based news. in any case, coming from a huge superman fan, all these changes are being made to keep superman relevant/popular, so i find it disheartening when you have people like kurosawa who are trying to keep superman irrelevant. trunks/no trunks does not make superman. it's always been his values and the ability to see the good in people. the new suit has most of the criteria for what superman looks like and is missing like 1% of the traditional suit, i find his perspective to be so narrow minded. surely he's entitled to his opinion, but it's amazing how he isn't even willing to see other's point of view.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:27 AM   #118
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
let's see how it looks in action first... remember on Superman Returns there was tons of debate on how the suit looked in stills but then perceptions changed (either for worse or better depending on if you had an initial positive or negative view on the stills) when the movie released and when trailers released. Let the film's trailer release to see how it moves, flows and visually looks on screen
i can almost say it gonna look awesome in the movie.
But it doesnot mean it is right to do.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 11-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #119
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDW2 View Post
They are men though. Not infallible Gods whose opinions and decisions should be taken as true fact. What they created in 1938 doesn't completely hold up in 2011. Times change. Fashions change. Characteristics and societal values change. The comic book medium itself has changed. More is expected of it in terms of storytelling and logic. When the costume was originally designed it was based on a circus strongman. If we are pretending for this new movie that Superman has just come into being, he would have to base his costume on the modern day equivalent of a circus strongman. A wrestler. And most wrestlers only wear the trunks. So the other option is to go completely alien. Which is what the new suit looks like. Alien clothing.
Yes. This is a good point that bears repeating. Even if we suppose that S&S’s original vision is sacrosanct, there’s still the question of interpreting that vision. Should we be like Biblical fundamentalists who take everything literally? Or might we see the deeper meaning that lies beneath the superficial?

I take it for granted that when S&S designed the costume, they weren’t going for parody. It was supposed to be the garb that a dashing, alien hero might plausibly wear. The “hero part” was the main, important message. And the costume was simply the method used to convey the message. But as times change, the method might have to as well – in order to preserve S&S’s original intentions.

And when all is said and done, the MOS costume is still remarkably faithful to the S&S concept – which is to S&S’s credit.

Last edited by C. Lee; 11-19-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #120
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Quote:
Agreed.

I just don't understand the point of holding some childish 'grudge' about the trunks being gone, and trying to make it out to be something much more malicious than it is for the makers to have removed them, or for anyone to now be saying they like the new suit.

I was completely pro trunks. Hated the idea of no trunks. Thought every manip of no trunks looked ridiculous. Held out the smallest amount of hope, even after that first official pic where you couldn't quite see the crotch area, that there still were trunks.

But i've taken in the new suit, sucked it up, and accepted it.

And in doing that, i've found that the more I see and get used to it, the more I actually like it.

I think it suits Cavill, I think it suits what they are trying to say with this movie - in it's connection to Krypton, and in it's deviation from other Superman tv/film adaptions, and I think i've actually reached a point where I agree with their decision.

If someone asked me now, if it were up to me, would I have the trunks added to the costume... I'd have a hard time deciding.

Because now that it's done, it's like 'Why go back?'

And I feel exactly the same with the new DCNU costume.

Hated it with a fiery passion at first. And I still hate the silly colllar and over the top armour.

But while reading the comics, the lack of trunks doesn't actually bother me at all. And I thought it would bother me a lot.

So why go back? Why not see what happens if you do take away that point of ridicule.

Have I ever thought the trunks were funny or silly or girly or shameful or anything derogatory at all?

Heck NO!

I defended them for most of my life. I was proud of those damn trunks!

But now they are gone. And you know what I have to do now?

Defend his crotch.

Yes, as ridiculous as it is, the minute people don't have the trunks to call shameful or funny or silly, it's the lack of them that gets the brunt of the ridicule.

But hey, like I said, i've been defending that kind of mockery my whole life, so I can continue doing it.

I just wish the majority of that mockery didn't come from WITHIN the fandom.

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 11-19-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #121
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:

I defended them for most of my life. I was proud of those damn drunks!
I thought you were talking about me for a sec

Old 11-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #122
Nevaratoiel
I don't bite... hard.

Quote:

GET A LIFE
Wait a minute there... I don't think people are 'upset' about Kuro sticking to his opinion, at least, that's not my problem because I firmly have my beliefs and opinions. I think what rubs most people the wrong way is that he has to consort to insulting people, and at times being downright obnoxious. He's the one who's 'knocking' other people's opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
You're on a Superhero/Comic inspired forum debating about Superman's underwear which he wears on the outside of tights and you're telling others to "Get A Life".

Let's pump the brakes.
Good one, mate!

I guess most people here, including me, don't have a life.

Quote:
Agreed. There's just no need to insult people because they have a different opinion.

Taylor Kitsch.org | Elfae.com
Old 11-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #123
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Three academy awards versus creating Superman? Please.

You guys DO realize the reason superhero comics exist is because of Siegel and Shuster, right? The entire reason this website even exists all goes back to them.
You do bring up a Valid point. It would be best to consult with the creators before altering the costume in any way.

Well, as a matter of fact, we are in very good fortune. You see, I have been told several times I am a Necromancer, for bumping old threads. I thought they were kidding, but it turns out that Yes, indeed I am a Necromancer.

So I have raised Jerry and Joe from the dead to comment on this issue. At first there were a few complications, but aside from a slight snafu resulting from forgetting to put their souls back in their corpses and them biting a few people resulting a small zombie army (hey Iím new at this) I was finally able to have a conversation with them.

Me (short for "magnificent excellence") : So Jerry, Joe, Iíve brought you back for the next ten minutes to weigh in the costume changes that have been made to your most famous invention, Superman.

Joe: Well, Iím all for it. This isnít 1938 anymore.

Jerry: Of course I agree with it. I mean come on, when we put those trunks on Superman it was because circus strongmen all had them on at the time.

Joe: Yeah, we figured that Superman should look very strong, because he is very strong, and since all the strongmen had on trunks so should he.

Me: These days only pro wrestlers wear trunks, and not even over tights. Those wearing tights donít have trunks over them.

Jerry: Well 1938 was a long time ago. Fashion changes, and the last thing we wanted was for Superman to become stagnant and not change his outfit to fit with changes in fashion.

Joe: The whole point was for him to look strong, and wear something that everyday people are not wearing, as a sort of uniform to make himself easily identifiable in costume. Its Symbolic, but we think updating it to fit with the times is better than leaving him back in time.

Jerry: For sure, we are shocked that he has survived the test of time as it is.

Me: Well guys thanks for weighing in on the removal of the trunks, is there anything else you guys wanted to add?

Jerry: Yeah! Tell those lousy ingrates to quit fighting over Superman!

Me: Well there you have it folks. Canít say I agree on getting rid of the trunks, as I think it looks better with em, but apparently Jerry and Joe here donít mind one bit. Until next time, donít pay for expensive dates, and donít ever give her a clear answer other than "No".

Old 11-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #124
TheDragonator
Banned User

Kuro will hunt you down and MURDER you over that.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #125
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypJonian View Post
I thought you were talking about me for a sec

Changed it to 'trunks'... should take any reference to you out of it

Though oddly enough, I do defend a lot of drunks in real life

*\S/T*
Closed Thread