The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

Old 07-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
vrivasfl
Side-Kick

Default Batman's role

Now that there appears to be little doubt that Batman will appear in the MOS sequel, the question has now shifted to what sort of role will he play. Will it be a glorified cameo or a full blown World's Finest? Somewhere in between? Will the Bruce persona appear as well? Any Batman supporting characters? Batman villains?

Snyder has said Superman and Batman will "face off" so my preference would be for there to be no Batman through most of the film and for him to appear without warning to fight Superman, probably because Lex has been successful at turning public opinion against Superman, protraying him as dangerous and rogue. Superman fights back because he doesn't know Batman, assuming he works for Lex. Insert awesome fight scene. Then somehow they realize they are on the same side and Batman leaves. Then probably Batman pops back in during the climactic final battle. If it invovles kryptonite, then Batman picks up a piece before leaving, just in case.

Any other thoughts?

vrivasfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Masone
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman's role

I actually think Ben Affleck will be cast as Batman. I just have this gut feeling.

Last edited by Masone; 08-22-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Masone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Man-of-Tomorrow
Newbie First Class

I'm going to have to disagree here, Masone. If the goal is to make a Man of Steel sequel, Batman should be a secondary character. Superman should receive more attention. This movie has a lot of character building left for Clark. His personal life (especially fitting in at the Daily Planet) and his image/role as Superman should hold center stage. Using Batman to challenge him can be a great way of doing just that.
I happen to think that Batman will fill the role of antagonist for a solid block of the movie.
Batman's methods and surface-level message (rule through fear) flies in the face of the hope-driven vision of the good that Superman embraced in Man of Steel. The film can use Batman as an alternative--an angrier way of fighting crime that makes Bruce seem like a villain.
Batman can function similarly to The Elite (from "What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?"), by going after the same goal via totally different means.
Public perception of Batman can be that he is a killer and a rogue. Superman's sense of what is good (coming out of the end of Man of Steel) instinctively pushes against that.
Sure eventually Clark finds out the truth about Batman, and the heroes find that they're after the same things, etc. This can play out much like the John Byrne version.

There is a way that Batman (and Bruce Wayne) can be used to help build Clark's character. Man of Steel gives us a Superman that represents an idea, a full vision of what is good. This sequel can move that vision forward.
Focusing on Superman is the way to go here. Doing so does not preclude Batman doing all kinds of awesome bat-things either! haha

Nevertheless, this movie should move Clark forward using Bruce. Focusing on both of them in the same way and spending equal time with each would not do either character justice. Superman is too new. People know Batman after 8 years of great films.

Man-of-Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Batman will be a more fleshed out version of Black Widow in Iron Man 2, I think. He'll come in around the second act of the film.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

If they feature Batman in a role a la the JL/JLU cartoons, then count me out. They need equal screentime. And Bruce Wayne.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Tomorrow View Post
I'm going to have to disagree here, Masone. If the goal is to make a Man of Steel sequel, Batman should be a secondary character. Superman should receive more attention. This movie has a lot of character building left for Clark. His personal life (especially fitting in at the Daily Planet) and his image/role as Superman should hold center stage. Using Batman to challenge him can be a great way of doing just that.
I happen to think that Batman will fill the role of antagonist for a solid block of the movie.
Batman's methods and surface-level message (rule through fear) flies in the face of the hope-driven vision of the good that Superman embraced in Man of Steel. The film can use Batman as an alternative--an angrier way of fighting crime that makes Bruce seem like a villain.
Batman can function similarly to The Elite (from "What's so Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way?"), by going after the same goal via totally different means.
Public perception of Batman can be that he is a killer and a rogue. Superman's sense of what is good (coming out of the end of Man of Steel) instinctively pushes against that.
Sure eventually Clark finds out the truth about Batman, and the heroes find that they're after the same things, etc. This can play out much like the John Byrne version.

There is a way that Batman (and Bruce Wayne) can be used to help build Clark's character. Man of Steel gives us a Superman that represents an idea, a full vision of what is good. This sequel can move that vision forward.
Focusing on Superman is the way to go here. Doing so does not preclude Batman doing all kinds of awesome bat-things either! haha

Nevertheless, this movie should move Clark forward using Bruce. Focusing on both of them in the same way and spending equal time with each would not do either character justice. Superman is too new. People know Batman after 8 years of great films.

This.

We've had enough of Batman, let Superman's character develop forward from Man of Steel. This should be Snyder's/Goyer's to-do list for the movie:
  1. Picking up where MOS left off e.g. Lois/Clark relationship, Clark & Martha's relationship, the relationship of Superman & the people of Metropolis. A day in the life of Clark Kent, ramifications of Zod's actions.
  2. Superman vs Lex Luthor, he was set up most effectively in MOS and must be introduced and placed on Clark's radar.
  3. Batman, not too much of Bruce and his world should be involved.

Their number one priority should be shutting up the critics/haters by fixing the problems they didn't like and make Superman better. Adding Batman won't cure anything. All it will do is attract the obsessed BatFans who'll want Frank Miller's mid-life crisis manifestation seen on screen and rub that "Superman sucks and that's why" in our faces and ruin any great traction that character had individually.

As for percentage ratio screen-time between the two, I'd prefer Superman:Batman to be 60:40.

Last edited by smallville fan; 07-22-2013 at 07:48 AM.
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
Silver Lantern
Side-Kick

Can't there be anyone ever happy about anything anymore. I only notice that people ***** when they want something like i read months ago everyone wants a Batman/Superman movie and now they are people have to whine about everything. Who gives a "Bleep" what they do with the plot or change or try to overcome or give change to a character but just to give faith to them what they will do and just enjoy a movie. I have many ideas myself but why bother, ill just enjoy it when it comes out no matter what at least its Superman and Batman which i think its a awsome idea and finally welcome the idea. I say yes to Snyders idea 100% and im with him and his ideas.

BTW: I havent seen Man of Steel yet but i give him faith.

Silver Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #8
GothamKnight102

Here's my idea for how Batman/Bruce Wayne can fit into this story.

Following the events of MoS, Metropolis is in the process of rebuilding. There are two major competitors bidding on the rebuilding of the city, LexCorp and Wayne Enterprises. Clark is assigned to cover a story about Bruce Wayne and his reasons behind getting involved in Metropolis and the competition with Lex Luthor, who is also leading a public campaign against Superman and blames him for the death and destruction.

During this time, Wayne is having some of his job sites sabotaged and destroyed by Luthors men so our first intro to Batman is him fighting Lex's thugs. Just as the fight is ending, Superman intervenes and Batman and Superman go at it, basically as two alpha males trying to show their dominance. The story progresses to where the two eventually team up as they realize they are fighting for the same ideas but both aren't 100% trusting of each other. But they know they are against Lex Luthor who may team up with another Kryptonian villain (ie Brainiac). At the end, both know they can rely on each other, but still have their reservations about what each other is doing.

I think what we'll see is a story where Clark and Bruce are professionally around each other with Clark eventually deducting that Bruce is Batman by using his x-ray vision to see deep tissue damage from a fight they were in against each other. But I think what we'll see is a Clark Kent meeting Bruce Wayne, and knowing each other first as their non-hero personas.

I think you will see a first act of introducing Bruce Wayne and Lex Luthor, a second act of Luthor gaining power and allies (human and alien) with Batman and Superman being at odds with each other, then a 3rd and final act where they finally team up (reluctantly for the most part) to save the day.

I would say in the end it will be 70% Clark/Superman and 30% Bruce/Batman in terms of screen presence and we rarely see Batman or Bruce without Clark Kent/Superman involved.

I don't know, just my two cents on how to put him into the story, keep it Superman centered, but still give enough to introduce a character like Batman for new films and the possible creation of the Justice League.

GothamKnight102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
They need equal screentime. And Bruce Wayne.
That would be preferable, especially after they've shown the Bat and Superman logos joined together at Comic Con. That imagery suggests something substantial from both sides.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar
The Intern - Judy Garland biopic
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Tequilla
Side-Kick

I want terrorist Batman (ala Red Son). Just with a plausible justification for the acts.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Personally hoping they look like this:

And I like the Batman role in The Dark Knight Returns in regards to his attitude toward Superman.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
Unbreakable Lex
Side-Kick

I think anyone hoping for a proper 50/50 split will be disappointed. They obviously feel they can get away with having Batman show up with no backstory/origin story. And putting him on screen with Supes will have much more of an impact than to introduce him in some Flash/Green Arrow movie before the JL.

However, they are saying the movie will be called Batman Vs. Superman so perhaps I'm wrong and it will be split 50/50. Seems like a slight to Supes to have half of his second movie given to Bats.

I'd imagine a movie where Lex uses the destruction of Metropolis and fear of aliens against Supes. Batman is also curious and investigates Supes. Supes and Bats square off. Bats alerts Supes to the dealings of Luthor, etc.. and they combine to beat the baddies at the end with a nice shot out to whoever the JL villain will be, most feel it must be Darksied. Perhaps have Granny and co. as secondary villains.

I also think they should borderline heel turn Batman. Not Dark Knight Returns heel turn, but enough to show the stark differences between the two heroes. Superman protecting Lex from Bats? That would be nice.

Unbreakable Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
Malcolm Belmont
Side-Kick

I think that Batman will be used by Lex Luthor in order to fight Superman but he turns on Lex after he finds out what he has done..

Malcolm Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #14
kalhawj
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-of-Tomorrow View Post

Perfect... make this happen WB...

kalhawj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
Malcolm Belmont
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalhawj View Post
Perfect... make this happen WB...
I completely agree with you there..Batman SHOULD be a secondary character..kinda like Commissioner Gordon's role in the Nolan Films..

Malcolm Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #16
Rowsdower!
Cal Kzing

Yeah, I really like that idea. I want Superman to be the central focus of the story. I'm not sure that's what will happen, but I'd be happy if it was.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #17
kalhawj
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, I really like that idea. I want Superman to be the central focus of the story. I'm not sure that's what will happen, but I'd be happy if it was.
Somebody that has a friend/family member that knows Synder tell him this...

I'm sure they know what they are doing with this. This is their chance to make something big and special... A Movie that well change all CBM movie forever...

kalhawj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #18
Unbreakable Lex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalhawj View Post
Somebody that has a friend/family member that knows Synder tell him this...

I'm sure they know what they are doing with this. This is their chance to make something big and special... A Movie that well change all CBM movie forever...
Goyer and Snyder have both said that Superman is the Granddaddy of comic book heroes. I think they understand the magnitude of what they are dealing with.

Unbreakable Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
godisawesome
Side-Kick

I figure Batmna should be a counterpoint to Lex Luthor, with about equal screen time. This should only happen if Lex has a compelling character arc ala Zod, Loki, or Two-face. None of that Iron Man antagonist crud for Lex Frickin's Luthor.

By counterpoint, I mean they should be peers in the business world, and both distrustful of Superman and possibly having some parallels in their reactions to the killing of Zod. Possibly emphasize how the difference in the end is that Luthor refuses to embrace any hope at all while Batman actually can.

Here's a way that could work:

It's still Superman's film, and he as Clark Kent investigates Lex Luthor and Bruce Wayne's new satellite program. Maybe Lois reveals she dated Lex and Bruce flirts with her just for the fun of it. Clark figures out that the satellites have some definite military applications (like a giant kinetic cannon that can actually hurt Superman) and witnesses a debate between Bruce and Lex over the ethics of a first strike weapon against Superman.

He also takes on some thugs with incredible weaponry and teleportation abilities called Intergang. He and Batman first meet while defeating a gang of the evil doers, with a tenuous and nervous alliance formed over investigating the satellites and their connection to Intergang tech. Batman is obviously prepared for Superman, as his gear has heavier hitting gadgets and is outfitted to conceal his identity (I want glowing eyes for Batman!).

This bit is important; Batman infers that he knows who Superman is but reveals he's kept the information to himself and one "confidant" and has left no record of his investigation, while Superman definitely supposes that Batman must be rich and dangerous, but is cautioned by the classic doppelgänger scheme. They also don't fight each other at all early on in the film. There's tension building towards a confrontation with Batman clearly not trusting Superman, but they're similar enough in attitudes that it doesn't matter.

They do come to some blows when Batman explicitly threatens Lois Lane to test Superman, with Supes clearly coming out on top, though Batman does show resourcefulness. They both figure out the other wasn't going to kill, and eventually take down Lex. At some point, Clark demonstrates trust in Batman via either giving him some kind of weapon from Intergang or kryptonite, or by actually letting Batman analyze him for weaknesses. Possibly, if Brainac is involved as the heavy hitter, Batman gets to use this advantage against a controlled Superman while the Man of Steel is clearly fighting from the I side and repeatedly saving Bruce's life in spite of the battle.

In the end, they do figure out each other's identities, Bruce gives his command codes and back doors to the UN, Lex is stalemated but proved tough enough for both heroes, and we hav Brainac interrogated to reveal some Aokilips connection that's more visceral than THANOS involvement in Avangers.

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:43 AM   #20
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Belmont View Post
I think that Batman will be used by Lex Luthor in order to fight Superman but he turns on Lex after he finds out what he has done..
Heh, witness the continued wrath of fanboys complaining that Batman's still dumb (and far from the smartest person on Earth) for not figuring out Lex was manipulating him.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #21
Kevin Smith
Papa Spank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masone View Post
I actually think Ben Affleck will be cast as Batman. I just have this gut feeling.

You are a legend.

Who will they cast as Luthor?

PART 3
PART 4
PART 5
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Skip the Bat-origin this time! everybody knows it, more or less.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #23
Tobias
Side-Kick

It will be a 50/50 split but I don't think the producer will count it to the minute so Batman may have slightly more screentime especially if Ben has input as he loves Batman and is playing him.

Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote