Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #101
elgaz
Side-Kick

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naite22 View Post
You gotta help me guys (need to get this off of my chest)
Ever since the first official pic below was released, while the suit looking cool, I couldn't ****ing recognize the man in it as Henry Cavill! I STILL can't. It doesn't look_like_him!? He looks like an older Daniel Craig James Bond something something. It's like it's a completely different actor inside the suit in that first pic...

Now look at the man in the pic below! THIS is Superman... I think he looks like two different human beings in these pics... it bugs me like hell!... Forgive me.

For what it's worth, I agree. And it's an observation - not a criticism of the pic.

Whether it's the hair, facial expression, lighting or whatever, I had to do a double-take the first time I saw the promo pic above as I also felt that, facially, it look like someone other than Cavill! The eyes look different, the expression looks a little strained. It just didn't seem to resemble him in other pics where he's consistently and easily recognisable.

But in any event .................. it's only one promo pic, he's looked fine (facially) in all set pics since. Was just an awkward pose/lighting I guess.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #102
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
It's the face shape. Brandon has a more triangular jawline, whereas the others have more of a square jaw IMO.

Do you not see the difference?
Inverted triangle:
Square:

Seems pretty clear to me that Brandon did not have the wide face and strong jawline the other three have...
I don't think you actually know what a square jaw is supposed to look like. And before you ask, yes i do because i've drawn enough of them.

My opinions are are my own and do not reflect those of DC comics,Warner Bros, Marvel Entertainment, Walt Disney, IDW Publishing, Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Action Lab Entertainment unless otherwise stated.

Last edited by JamalYIgle; 12-13-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #103
Krumm
Beer Snob

I with hopefulsuicide on this one. At the time, Routh's chin, while strong, was more triangular.

That being said, I think Rockstar is spot on in saying that now that Routh has matured and bulked up, it has squared off quite a bit.

Last edited by Krumm; 12-13-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #104
elgaz
Side-Kick

Routh has a strong jawline too. However, he had a longer face than the other guys pictured above which made his jawline look less broad.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #105
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamalYIgle View Post
I don't think you actually know what a square jaw is supposed to look like. And before you ask, yes i do because i've drawn enough of them.
My examples of a square and inverse triangle face shape aren't something I just drew... i'm not making face shapes up!

And yes, in that drawing his face shape does look a lot more like Routh's.

So I guess some artists draw him with more of a square face shape than others. Like this:

Doesn't change the fact that Cavill, Welling and Reeve all have a more square face shape than Routh.

Which is all that I am argueing.

Not that Superman has a square face all the time.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 12-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #106
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
My examples of a square and inverse triangle face shape aren't something I just drew... i'm not making face shapes up!
The person who drew that example doesn't understand the difference either apparently.
There's a difference between a head position and a narrow triangular jawline

Such as Eric Balfour, who also has a strong jawline.
I've met Brandon Routh, there's a clear defined square jaw on the man.

My opinions are are my own and do not reflect those of DC comics,Warner Bros, Marvel Entertainment, Walt Disney, IDW Publishing, Dark Horse Comics, Image Comics, Action Lab Entertainment unless otherwise stated.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #107
Ricky_Tan
Side-Kick

routh has a weak jawline compared to the other three. The other three also have chiseled facial features.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #108
JAK®
Upstart

There is a difference between a square jaw and a wide jaw, and you don't need one to have the other.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #109
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_Tan View Post
routh has a weak jawline compared to the other three. The other three also have chiseled facial features.
They all have equally chiseled features. Let's not do this. I know there's this psychological need to bash something you don't like to prop up what you think is better but lets keep it based in reality, okay?

Old 12-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #110
Krumm
Beer Snob

Please, there is no need to be so condescending.

For myself, Routh always read rather boyish to me in the role and a lot of that had to do with his face. At the time, it wasn't not as chiseled as it is now and comparatively, it's not as square as the more well known Superman. In fact, I was in one of my favorite variety store this weekend and found some Superman Returns toys. I noticed and said to my girlfriend that the package art of Routh as Superman seem like it was enhanced to make is face more chisled and "manly." I also said that it's ironic they had to do that to package seeing as he looks like that now.

That is not to say that his jaw isn't square and his face isn't chiseled, especially now. It just wasn't quite right when he played the character.

I was actually intrigued with the idea of him returning to the role -- I think he would have done well with a better script.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #111
spider_rob
Banned User

Isn't there a difference between a strong jawline and a strong chin? It's obvious in those pics that Routh, Reeve and Welling have wider, squarer jaws. Routh has a prominent chin, but weak jaw line. It doesn't help that Routh has a skinny neck, too.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #112
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
They all have equally chiseled features. Let's not do this. I know there's this psychological need to bash something you don't like to prop up what you think is better but lets keep it based in reality, okay?
Aaaaaand conversation over as you clearly don't accept an allowance for other peoples opinions

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 12-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #113
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Routh was just younger and leaner back then. He definitely has the features now, probably the best Superman look.

Welling had leaner facial features during his younger days too.

Today
Hmmmm.....

Only 2 posts, posting a Pro-Routh post in the Henry Cavill thread.

Why not use your REGULAR forum handle?

Most of the handles are annonymous anyway.

This post looks like it came from a sock puppet.

That is a second handle when someone does not want their original handle to take heat.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #114
Rockstar
Banned User

Quote:
Isn't there a difference between a strong jawline and a strong chin? It's obvious in those pics that Routh, Reeve and Welling have wider, squarer jaws. Routh has a prominent chin, but weak jaw line. It doesn't help that Routh has a skinny neck, too.

*had

Warner Bros just wanted a leaner Superman look in 2004/5.

Last edited by Rockstar; 12-13-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #115
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I think when it comes down to it, I just don't think Routh looks as much like Superman as Cavill does.

I mean, I think Cavill is the absolute spitting image of Superman, and since I don't think Routh looks anything like Cavill, I have to come to the conclusion that Routh doesn't look like Superman to me.

Does that make sense.

And since I think Welling and Reeve have more similar face shapes to Cavill, I think they look more like Superman than Routh too.

Now can we PLEASE get back to talking about this man?

Is anyone else remotely excited for Cold Light of Day? I am

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 12-13-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #116
tomoe
Side-Kick

To me, Routh looks (and looked) way better for Superman than Welling ever did, even though Welling had a wider squarer jaw. Welling's face has always been too square, in that the length and width of his head almost seemed the same. For me Superman's face should be more rectangular. Perhaps Routh's face might have been slightly too long or lean, but that to me is still better than squareface. Plus it has always looked to me like Welling had girl features on a guy shaped face, making him way too 'pretty' for Superman. Cavill looks the most like comic book Superman to me and Reeve the most 'alien'. I've liked the way all the movie Supermans have looked but none of the TV ones have looked anything like Superman to me. Except for Superboy John Haymes Newton. I was really sad when he was replaced.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #117
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think when it comes down to it, I just don't think Routh looks as much like Superman as Cavill does.

I mean, I think Cavill is the absolute spitting image of Superman, and since I don't think Routh looks anything like Cavill, I have to come to the conclusion that Routh doesn't look like Superman to me.
That's your opinion of course, and you're entitled to it. I disagree, i think they both look like Superman as much as a real person can.

Quote:
Does that make sense.

And since I think Welling and Reeve have more similar face shapes to Cavill, I think they look more like Superman than Routh too.
That's not the same thing. A square shaped head is not a square jaw. I happen to think Roth does resemble Chris Reeve as well. Both have very defined features.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #118
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
That's not the same thing. A square shaped head is not a square jaw.
I didn't say it was exclusive.

Just that Cavill, Welling and Reeve have square shaped heads AND a square jaw, and while Routh does have a strong jawline, he also has a longer face and a more pronounced chin, making his face shape very different to the other three.

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 12-13-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #119
echostation
Banned User

Henry Cavalry doesn't look that great...the face is fine but the physique is too cut and not big... Superman has to be rock big... built like a chicken, big body, small legs... Cavalry doesn't have that...

He's too beach body cut. He should be much bigger otherwise his suit will be teh puffy

Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #120
spider_rob
Banned User

How come Superman looks like the Punisher in this pic?

Old 12-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #121
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
Henry Cavalry doesn't look that great...the face is fine but the physique is too cut and not big... Superman has to be rock big... built like a chicken, big body, small legs... Cavalry doesn't have that...

He's too beach body cut. He should be much bigger otherwise his suit will be teh puffy
Henry CAVILL is huge...

He is the biggest Superman we have ever had...

*\S/T*
Old 12-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #122
Krumm
Beer Snob

Yeah, really.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #123
JamalYIgle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_rob View Post
How come Superman looks like the Punisher in this pic?

Because a Super powered woman is holding his wife hostage.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #124
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post

I do not think Superman ought to have a body that looks like he works only his upper body.

Superman does not have to lift weights (wouldn't be possible for him anyway) to have a good physique.

He just naturally has big muscles, possibly as a result of the yellow sun like everything else.

Giant upper body and skinny legs looks ridiculous. It works for some cartoons where ALL the male characters have said proportions, but not so much in real life.

I think he should look like a very muscular guy, without crossing the line into looking like a modern IFBB pro bodybuilder.

That muscle should look more evenly distributed too. He should not have an upper body like Lou Ferrigno and a lower body like a basketball player.

The build Cavill has built over the last 8 months is satisfactory for the role. No complaints here. He will also be filmed with camera distance and angles to make him appear as muscular as is possible for him to look.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #125
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

How impressive can Cavill look physically on film given the size and condition he is in right now?

Well, go watch the opening scene to Terminator 2. Where the T-800 shows up and needs clothes. Arnold looks huge, but in reality was smaller than he was for T1.

Arnold was still cut, and had relatively big muscles, but not nearly as big as he "looked" in the movie.

Candid shot from behind the scenes without the benefit of a close camera and favorable angle, similar to the ones we have seen of Cavill, that are not doing him that justice yet either.

I'm not expecting Cavill to look as impressive as Arnold did in T2, but I am expecting him to look like he is even more impressive than in the set photos we have already seen.

Closed Thread