Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #51
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Default Re: Grayskull: Masters of the Universe - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
Yeah, the ones over at WB - I liked how it went into the history and how everyone became who they are, it kind of reminded me of a more intense action-packed 'Wicked' in that sense. But the main thing is is the key company wanted something more family friendly whereas WB wanted something more grounded.
Yeah that was an awfully plotted and put together script.

- CM Punk
Old 02-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #52
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A. Baracus View Post
Exactly, Hasbro really has their finger on the pulse with transformers, GI Joe and battlship movies (along with upcoming monopoly).

Mattel is really behind, the proof is there that people will flock to see movies based on toys, i just dont think they are pushing hard enough. Not a great business move.
Battleship looks freaking terrible and GI JOE was awful. They were really lucky a sequel to GI JOE even got made.

- CM Punk
Old 02-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #53
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Yeah that was an awfully plotted and put together script.
To each his own, dude, to each his own. I liked it and know others who liked it. Also, I may have read a later draft that didn't leak of said script.

The point is - the company behind He-Man didn't abandon the script because they didn't like the script rather they wanted something more family friendly and thought the script was too dark. THIS is a fact. Look at all the other tones in their films - that's what they wanted.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 02-22-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #54
Rowsdower!
Business as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthro View Post
The way things have been going lately for movies based on old 80s cartoons I have expect to see MOTU turned into a horrible action comedy starring Will Ferrell as He-Man, Seth Rogen as Skeletor, Jonah Hill as Ram-Man, Russell Brand as Hordak and God knows who as Evil-Lynn.
Swap out Ferrell for Channing Tatum and that sounds about right.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #55
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
To each his own, dude, to each his own. I liked it and know others who liked it. Also, I may have read a later draft that didn't leak of said script.

The point is - the company behind He-Man didn't abandon the script because they didn't like the script rather they wanted something more family friendly and thought the script was too dark. THIS is a fact. Look at all the other tones in their films - that's what they wanted.
The script I read wasn't that dark. No darker than anything in Star Wars. The origins of characters also really contrived and hackneyed. The later CN series did a much better job of giving backstories to all the characters from the Masters and Skeletor's Evil Warriors.

Not to mention Skeletor was a pushover and lame as hell in Justin Marks' script.

What other films? Do you mean Mattel? Originally their license deal was with WB. It lapsed and now it's at Sony and the project is still in development purgatory.

- CM Punk
Old 02-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #56
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

I wasn't a He-Man fan of the cartoons, all I know is I and others read and liked the script. I don't mean dark as in "god this is dark!" but more grounded especially in comparison to Transformers 2 and the first GI JOE. Mattel wanted something very whimsical. Also keep in you mind you may have read a prior draft of said script while I read a later one.

Mattel - the rights lapsed because Warner Bros. wanted the film to be grounded, while Mattel wanted it to be VERY family oriented film. I know as a FACT that that is what happened. I can't saw how or why. But THAT is the reason. I'm betting the same thing is probably going on at SONY right now.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 02-22-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #57
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Dude the first GI JOE sucked and most people hated it. And it wasn't that grounded at all since they had all sorts of fake technology and laser rifles and stuff.

What was especially grounded about the script?

I'm sure WB wanted it to be like Batman Begins since making things dark, edgy, and serious was what was in at the time.

- CM Punk
Old 02-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #58
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Did you listen to anything I said? MATTEL wanted to make it like the first GI JOE and TF2 - not grounded at all. Are you just trying to start arguments dude? I mean, learn reading comprehension 101. Jeez.

I'm unsure, but just - take my word for this - I can not go into detail and I will not go into detail. All I know is WB wanted it more grounded. Mattel wanted it zany. There. Done. Fact. Believe me, don't believe me - I don't really give a -. Just those are the FACTS. Mattel wanted a movie that could easily sell toys and be marketed towards children. I have informative sources, VERY informative sources, and I can't go into how I know.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 02-22-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #59
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

You said MORE GROUNDED ESPECIALLY IN COMPARISON TO TRANSFORMERS 2 AND THE FIRST GI JOE. So that was the thread I was going by.

It's not that I don't believe you, it's that WB's approach was wrong based on both scripts I read. And honestly, Mattel's approach is wrong too. WB didn't get a movie made either. They commissioned at least two poor scripts.

They were both extremely failed attempts at origin scripts when the guys who did the MYP series pretty much gave them the perfect outline for an origin/introductory He-Man story.

- CM Punk
Old 02-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #60
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Yeah, Grayskull was more grounded especially in comparison to those two - meaning in comparison to those off the walls approaches (we're even seeing that with Battleship) it was grounded. Not Batman grounded, but a heck of a lot more than the other Hasbro films.

As said, that's still your opinion on the scripts - you didn't like them, others have. That happens. Bottom line is though and what I've been saying is 'development hell' is going on (probably same scenario at SONY) because Hasbro wants it to be a "toy" movie not the script but the approach.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #61
Panthro
Catman Begins

Out of curiosity, is anyone here kind of grateful that a new He-Man film hasn't happened yet? Because if it's a choice between no new He-Man film and a He-Man film that just deliberately pisses all over the story & characters, then I'd rather have no He-Man film at all.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Old 02-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #62
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

I would love to see a live action Visionaries movie!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #63
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, Grayskull was more grounded especially in comparison to those two - meaning in comparison to those off the walls approaches (we're even seeing that with Battleship) it was grounded. Not Batman grounded, but a heck of a lot more than the other Hasbro films.

As said, that's still your opinion on the scripts - you didn't like them, others have. That happens. Bottom line is though and what I've been saying is 'development hell' is going on (probably same scenario at SONY) because Hasbro wants it to be a "toy" movie not the script but the approach.
Nope. It wasn't those two. It was Grayskull and one other one. What was grounded about the Grayskull script though honestly? Care to expand on that?

Hasbro doesn't have the property. Masters is Mattel. And I mean, I know the people at Mattel and they quite honestly should be protective of the material. MOTU is like the holy grail to them. And this is a toy franchise and the toy aspect is important. However, I mean they give a lot of thought to these toys because they've written an entire universe around them. Even now for the classics they are writing new stories with the mini-comics and also the file cards have these nice bits of continuity to basically give you a whole character and backstory for the character you are buying. Ultimately this is a toy franchise and a movie does need to service and respect that. There are certain aspects about MOTU that drew many people to it that the Grayskull script totally disrespected.

- CM Punk
Old 02-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #64
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Dude, you seriously need to learn how to read. I said it was more grounded than TF 2 & GI JOE ("those two") & seemingly the upcoming BATTLESHIP. And can I go into detail? No. I can't and therefore WON'T. As I've said before. Also, as said, I may have read a version of that script later "into production" than you have. It's possible. I have no idea what leaked. Reading comp 101, pay attention.

Yeah, my bad Mattel - not Hasbro. Still I have sources on this film. All I can say is Mattel wanted it to be VERY family friendly, by "toy" movie I didn't mean respect the toy - I meant geared towards a happy meal crowd. This is why WB had a difficult time working with them and I'm pretty sure this is why SONY is having difficulty with them.

Beyond all this? I can not and will not say a word more.

Last edited by Ultimatehero; 02-23-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #65
kane9321
oakland's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
that would be badass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
The X-Men films are like an abusive boyfriend.

They treat you well, (X-Men 1 and 2) and then they show their true colors (X3 and Wolverine: Origins), then they promise that they can change (X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine), now you see them with a prostitute. (X-Men: DOTFP)
Old 02-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #66
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
Dude, you seriously need to learn how to read. I said it was more grounded than TF 2 & GI JOE ("those two") & seemingly the upcoming BATTLESHIP. And can I go into detail? No. I can't and therefore WON'T. As I've said before. Also, as said, I may have read a version of that script later "into production" than you have. It's possible. I have no idea what leaked. Reading comp 101, pay attention.

Yeah, my bad Mattel - not Hasbro. Still I have sources on this film. All I can say is Mattel wanted it to be VERY family friendly, by "toy" movie I didn't mean respect the toy - I meant geared towards a happy meal crowd. This is why WB had a difficult time working with them and I'm pretty sure this is why SONY is having difficulty with them.

Beyond all this? I can not and will not say a word more.
My reading is fine, I think you need to clarify your thoughts more .

- CM Punk
Old 02-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #67
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Looking back, I can see now how you got confused. But, still - I literally can not talk any more than I have without possibly crossing some kind of line.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #68
Guhndoi
Side-Kick's Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
I remember that. Knights of the magical light, or something.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 AM   #69
HopeOfTheFuture
Side-Kick

Is this script somewhere available for download and reading?

Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #70
Octoberist
point blank

My problem with Justin Marks' Greyskull script was that it was just so textbook Joseph Campbell stuff. And none of the characters had any decent lines.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:08 AM   #71
Airwings
Waves of air

It will be great to see this. Not just because of He-Man, but the others as well.
The whole back story with Keldor's hunger for knowledge and power, before he became Skeletor. Randor and Duncan fighting him, and forcing the dark lord away.
During the following 20 years, the good side is recruiting soldiers to prepare for an upcoming war that the prophecy tells about. I guess you can figure out who these soldiers are.
And Skeletor is getting allies too. A few of them from Tellus, actually.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:25 AM   #72
superhero
Side-Kick

doyou think the rock would make great he-man? i can see the rock as he-man. by the way master of the unsiver 1980 live action he-man is my all time favorite movie.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #73
Panthro
Catman Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhero View Post
doyou think the rock would make great he-man? i can see the rock as he-man. by the way master of the unsiver 1980 live action he-man is my all time favorite movie.
Uh... no. The Rock as Zodak (MYP style) maybe but not He-Man.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Old 02-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #74
Airwings
Waves of air

The Rock in a blond wig would look like the badest kind of He-Man mockery. Why would anybody even suggest this? Serious, or just joking?

Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #75
B.A. Baracus
Side-Kick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqUJPQMzGco

Go on check it out, its only a minute and a half.
Closed Thread