The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Smallville

Old 06-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #301
elementalrage
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Best, The Worst of Smallville

I don't get why everyone hates season 7 so much. I thought the Veritas storyline was awesome and a nice throwback to the earlier seasons regarding the Superman mythos.

Season 5 post Reckoning and season 6 was the worst Smallville era of all time for me (I stopped watching at season 8).

elementalrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #302
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I kinda agree that everything after Reckoning and season 6 was the worst, but at the same time, I feel like it was also very necessary. I mean I really could done without Lexana, but I felt like Homecoming did a good job at demonstrating how important Jonathan's death was and how it sort of pushed Clark away from his destiny, in terms of how he was inside, and The Green Arrow's first run was a big saving grace for that first half of season 6.

And I agree, Veritas was a good arc that only got ruined because of the Writer's strike that year and the forced and early "departure" of Lana and Lex. I think the payoff would have been much better had they had the right amount of time to plan it all out.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:44 PM   #303
DOBSON10
Side-Kick

The Good:

Phantom Zone: Everything about the Phantom Zone was good except for Lil Bow Wow. The phantoms getting released and Clark chasing them down was good. The Titan fight was probably the best physical fight on the show by far. The Zod phantom zone episode was good. The empty dark desert look was good. Pretty much everything involving the phantom zone I thought was pretty good. Except for the scenes where characters were stuck in the mirror box floating in air, that looked stupid. And again, Lil Bow Wow... SMH...

Lex Luthor: It's kind of sad that a show this cheesy produced the best live action Lex Luthor we'll probably ever see. Though some of the storyline's they gave him were incredibly dumb. But his performance was always good.

Lionel Luthor: The original bad version. Once he went good it was done, even when they brought him back later on as the evil version it was never the same. But in the beginning he was very good.

Green Arrow: He ended up being my favorite hero character on show.

Supergirl: There were some pretty bad moments here and there but overall I liked the character and what's not to like about Laura Vandervoort? Yeah there are better actresses out there but she's awesome in my book.

Tom Welling: He was well above average most of the time.

Zod: His storyline was probably the best villain storyline, because it wasn't around long enough to take the dumb twists and turns that Lex's storyline did.

Brainiac: His last appearance as the good Brainiac sent back in time to motivate Clark was dumb but otherwise he was pretty good.

The first half of the VRA/Checkmate arch. It was good at first. But it went bad really fast unfortunately.

The Doomsday wedding attack. Most of the Doomsday storyline was crap but I liked the wedding attack.

The Justice League episode when they attacked Lex's factory together. That was solid despite me not really caring for the actors playing Flash/Cyborg. Aquaman was ok but not great.

The Bad:

Chloe Sullivan: Nothing about the character or any of her storylines was interesting. The actress was annoying, the character was annoying. Her progression into a bigger role was annoying. There wasn't a single thing I liked about that character. Especially when she started backtalking Clark about his virtue and how he wasn't able to make the hard decisions, what? He saved your life like 5000 times you worthless....

The Cave: So long, so boring, so stupid, so cheesy. It was a never ending storyline that was crap from the start and only got worse as it went along.

Lana's progression. She went from a innocent, likeable character to an increasingly annoying, misused and useless character. The ancient witch storyline was arguably the worst storyline in a show full of stupid storylines. Her constantly whining about Clark's secret was retarded, her constantly blaming Clark for this, that and the other was stupid.

The Ashmore twins: Both of them are annoying as all hell and both of their characters were annoying. Don't like them on The Following or X-Men either (still don't know which is which or ever care to, they are awful).

The second half of the VRA/Checkmate storyline. Martha Kent as Red Queen was another storyline that was arguably the worst on the show. Maxwell Lord was dumb. Granny Goodness is just a dumb character period, in any medium. Darkseid was a stupid floating cloud of mist. Started out good, went downhill very fast.

The future hero's coming back in time to warn Clark. That whole thing was terrible. None of them were interesting characters.

The Booster Gold episode. Though that really could have been excellently executed and I still wouldn't have liked it because I hate the character of Booster Gold in general.

The constant back and fourth of every character turning good and evil at one point or another. Not one character was good for entire show or bad for the entire show. Every single one went opposite of how they started, usually for incredibly stupid and illogical reasons.

Teen Peter Parker/Spiderman being the LONE exception
DOBSON10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #304
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Holy crap, I completely forgot about Martha being the Red Queen.

I have to say, as much as I was against Arrow because I loved Justin Hartley's version (from season 6 and 7), that show is way more better than Smallville as a whole, since the firat two seasons were standouts by themselves. But now that I've gotten into Arrow, it's really hard for me to go back to watching SV, mostly because it feels a lot slower at times and overly dramatic given the subject matter. But I would definitely love to rewatch the series sometime.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #305
Raindog421
Side-Kick

Geez, I'm just watching the show first time. For a 35yr old with a full time job and kid it has been a long process. Started in January and am just now getting to around the 8th episode of the 9th season.

Anyway, man that 8th season was a struggle to finish. This one much better so far, but remember enjoying the earlier seasons more. Great show overall. Up next arrow. Way behind here folks..

Raindog421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #306
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

In my opinion, other than the first 2 seasons, season 9 was one of the best

Old 06-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #307
STARMAN
Side-Kick

The first two seasons might be cheesy but I found them enjoyable because the characters were more likable and the focus was always on Clark. As the show got more complex it lost it's charm.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:09 AM   #308
elementalrage
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
I kinda agree that everything after Reckoning and season 6 was the worst, but at the same time, I feel like it was also very necessary. I mean I really could done without Lexana, but I felt like Homecoming did a good job at demonstrating how important Jonathan's death was and how it sort of pushed Clark away from his destiny, in terms of how he was inside, and The Green Arrow's first run was a big saving grace for that first half of season 6.

And I agree, Veritas was a good arc that only got ruined because of the Writer's strike that year and the forced and early "departure" of Lana and Lex. I think the payoff would have been much better had they had the right amount of time to plan it all out.
I get what you're saying regarding Clark, but the show becoming unrecognizable during that period is what rages me. I mean Lexana? Fake pregnancy? The complete destruction of Lana's character? Chloe becoming a meteor freak outta nowhere? Martha and Lionel's painfully awkward scenes? I'm getting sick just remembering the horror. It's like they were picking things out of a hat and running with it.

The only episodes I cared for in season 6 were Justice and Labyrinth and the only saving grace was Oliver Queen. I wish we had gotten more episodes with a powerless Clark in season 5. It was refreshing.

I've always wondered what the general consensus was regarding Kara in season 7, can you fill me in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
The first two seasons might be cheesy but I found them enjoyable because the characters were more likable and the focus was always on Clark. As the show got more complex it lost it's charm.
That tends to happen to way too many shows. They start taking themselves too seriously and try to up the ante at the cost of the show's original essence. My favorite Smallville era was seasons 1-3. Season 4 had a ton of strong episodes as well, but this is where the show started taking a slight shift.

elementalrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #309
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOBSON10 View Post
Chloe Sullivan: Nothing about the character or any of her storylines was interesting. The actress was annoying, the character was annoying. Her progression into a bigger role was annoying. There wasn't a single thing I liked about that character. Especially when she started backtalking Clark about his virtue and how he wasn't able to make the hard decisions, what? He saved your life like 5000 times you worthless....
I think in early seasons, Chloe was good in small doses but starting around Season 5 I think her getting to involved in Clark's duties became a hassle(it always felt like they needed to dumb down Clark to fit her in).

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #310
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalrage View Post
I get what you're saying regarding Clark, but the show becoming unrecognizable during that period is what rages me. I mean Lexana? Fake pregnancy? The complete destruction of Lana's character? Chloe becoming a meteor freak outta nowhere? Martha and Lionel's painfully awkward scenes? I'm getting sick just remembering the horror. It's like they were picking things out of a hat and running with it.

The only episodes I cared for in season 6 were Justice and Labyrinth and the only saving grace was Oliver Queen. I wish we had gotten more episodes with a powerless Clark in season 5. It was refreshing.

I've always wondered what the general consensus was regarding Kara in season 7, can you fill me in?

That tends to happen to way too many shows. They start taking themselves too seriously and try to up the ante at the cost of the show's original essence. My favorite Smallville era was seasons 1-3. Season 4 had a ton of strong episodes as well, but this is where the show started taking a slight shift.
Yeah, all of that stuff outside of Clark was just bad. They tried to play off the Lexana angle as some sort of deal between Lana and Lionel, which had good potential as an idea had they not just thrown it in at the end, and I'm still not sure how I feel about Lionel being the vessel for Jor-El when he was just so awesome as a bad guy. And the meteor freak Chloe stuff really made me lose any interest in her character at that point.

As for Kara in season 7, it was a mixed bag. In a lot of cases, she was liiked because she brought a new dynamic of Clark as the teacher, as he tried to help her adjust to life on Earth, but people hated how she could fly right away and she never taught him. Not to mention her whole arc in the second half, and her romance with Jimmy of all people, was just another example of how they didn't know what to do with certain characters long term. So in short, good character at first, annoying at the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
I think in early seasons, Chloe was good in small doses but starting around Season 5 I think her getting to involved in Clark's duties became a hassle(it always felt like they needed to dumb down Clark to fit her in).
Chloe only purpose, at least in the first couple of seasons, was to be the person who gave all of the expositional explanataions of what was going on so that the viewer could be told certain things that couldn't be shown.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #311
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
Chloe only purpose, at least in the first couple of seasons, was to be the person who gave all of the expositional explanataions of what was going on so that the viewer could be told certain things that couldn't be shown.
And that's the purpose I wish she remained. Basically most episodes she on for 5 minutes or less with the occasional Chloe centric episode a couple times a season. It just felt like the producers knew she had a fanbase so they would try fit her into more and more things where she wasn't needed(basically Clark constantly running to her made him less proactive and more reactionary). I guess another potential reason why Chloe started to get used more was the more she has to explain stuff, the less they have to pay for production costs of Clark actually having to do anything

I think the thing that most bugged me about her character in those middle seasons was once she found out his secret it was like they had her rescue Clark every 4-5 episodes. That didn't tell me how great Chloe was it made me mad that they went out of her way to give her purpose at the expense of Clark. It really annoys/annoyed me when I see Chloe fans claim how great she is as a character and Clark is lost without her(and don't see that as a potential problem with the writing for Clark). It's my belief that if they could write a scene without getting another character involved when it comes to Clark's hero life that should be the writers first option

Another thing that bugged me about Chloe is it seems her character got more important the second they got rid of other characters(basically they just threw whatever purpose that character had on Chloe). Pete leaves Chloe is the new BFF, the slowly write out the Kents, now Chloe is Clark's sounding board(they could have easily had Martha adopt that role once Jonathon died but instead they just let Martha rot and do nothing because the producers had a rapid Chloe fanbase that wanted their girl to be important somehow).

Last edited by SV Fan; 07-06-2014 at 07:23 PM.
SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #312
agentorange
Banned User

I didnt like how they made Lois Lane kind of a rebound. They made it seem like since Clark couldn't be with Lana then he basically had to give Lois a chance. I didn't like how every time Lex found out Clark had powers something happens and he somehow forgets about it.

Now on the other hand I liked all the Justice League member cameo's, the episodes with Flash and Cyborg were my fav episodes. Even when they brought in Booster Gold and Blue beetle. I liked how the CGI and special effects weren't too cheesy. And I like how everybody they casted fit their role perfect, from Kristin Kreuk as Lana to Erica Durance as Lois to Michael Rosenbaum as Lex which IMO is the best Lex Luthor ever.

agentorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #313
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
And that's the purpose I wish she remained. Basically most episodes she on for 5 minutes or less with the occasional Chloe centric episode a couple times a season. It just felt like the producers knew she had a fanbase so they would try fit her into more and more things where she wasn't needed(basically Clark constantly running to her made him less proactive and more reactionary). I guess another potential reason why Chloe started to get used more was the more she has to explain stuff, the less they have to pay for production costs of Clark actually having to do anything

I think the thing that most bugged me about her character in those middle seasons was once she found out his secret it was like they had her rescue Clark every 4-5 episodes. That didn't tell me how great Chloe was it made me mad that they went out of her way to give her purpose at the expense of Clark. It really annoys/annoyed me when I see Chloe fans claim how great she is as a character and Clark is lost without her(and don't see that as a potential problem with the writing for Clark). It's my belief that if they could write a scene without getting another character involved when it comes to Clark's hero life that should be the writers first option

Another thing that bugged me about Chloe is it seems her character got more important the second they got rid of other characters(basically they just threw whatever purpose that character had on Chloe). Pete leaves Chloe is the new BFF, the slowly write out the Kents, now Chloe is Clark's sounding board(they could have easily had Martha adopt that role once Jonathon died but instead they just let Martha rot and do nothing because the producers had a rapid Chloe fanbase that wanted their girl to be important somehow).
What I hated about Lois finally being the leading lady in season 10 was that it took Chloe leaving to make that happen, despite the fact that Lois was more important to Clark at that point. But I agree, Chloe basically outlasted everyone else, and I really blame the new producers for putting their own love for her above all else. They made her more important than Clark in season 8 and her entire arc was what dragged that season down.

I still believe though, that had Sam Jone III not decided to leave after season 3, Chloe's "death" wouldn't been permanent, which would have furthered Lionel as the ultimate badass villain at the time. But with Pete gone, Clark still needed a close friend, even though at that point, the role she was playing was what Lana was supposed to have been at some point had they not preferred to make it all about keeping the secret from her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
I didnt like how they made Lois Lane kind of a rebound. They made it seem like since Clark couldn't be with Lana then he basically had to give Lois a chance. I didn't like how every time Lex found out Clark had powers something happens and he somehow forgets about it.
You see, I hated Lois at first, but by the first half of season 8, it all started to make sense, even though I'm pretty sure the new producers changed things up for their benefit. Bu5t it made a lot more sense to have Lois fall for Clark first, and with Lana finally out of the picture, she saw an opportunity to embrace the idea, since obviously she wouldn't have wanted to get in Clark's way of being with his "true love". But it was also strongly hinted that as much as they clashed, they both had an attraction for each other.

But Lana's return ruined that because that basically made it seem like Clark would never get over Lana, even though he was 5 seconds away from kissing Lois while sober. That 5 episode arc took Clark so many steps back that their eventually hookup seemed forced.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:57 AM   #314
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

After watching reruns, I think seasons 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, and 10 are my definitely my favorite. The other ones are darker but still okay. I think seasons 5 and 6 are probably the darkest of the series.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:30 AM   #315
spiderman2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
After watching reruns, I think seasons 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, and 10 are my definitely my favorite. The other ones are darker but still okay. I think seasons 5 and 6 are probably the darkest of the series.
I think season 8 is the darkest. Season 7 is my least favorite season has it got to being to much like soppoper. I felt like season 9 the show started to get really good again and season 10 was pretty bad compared to most of the other season. Form best to worse 3,2,4,9,1,5,8,6,10,7 something like that any way.

spiderman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #316
Raindog421
Side-Kick

Wow ,so, seven months and I have made it through Smallville. Have to say I agree with everything everyone has said about season 8. I cringed through half the season at some of the storylines some of the characters were given. Took me awhile to make it through the season.
I don't know if I could name a favorite but really like the charm the show had in the beginning. Also, watching straight through hard to keep season straight. Have to say I never really gave the show a chance when it was on because I thought it was cheap because a local actor I had never heard of was playing Lex. Have to say, he is one of my favorite parts of the show. As some have said, some of the storylines he was given were crazy but he is probably my favorite Lex Luthor ever and I grew up with Hackman and would have thought that was a laughable statement until actually watching the show. Just my opinion.

Anyway, great show, will watch series again someday, no doubt. Liked the last episode myself, which I just watched last night. I wish Darkseid himself would have been done away with and maybe just his evil trio and apocalypse just been the threat. I went into expecting to be let down and thought it was done quite well IMO. The whole show is about him turning into Superman and that is what happens. I think he would have looked silly in the costume on a Smallville set used any more than he was though he looked better in it than BR did. I'm surprised at how well some of the heroes costumes worked as well as they did. Hawkman stands out the most to me. Excellent costume and actor. Great character, could have seen even more.

Anyway, overall great show, great and bad. But 10 seasons with 200+ episodes they all can't be great I guess. Now, onto Arrow until the 66 series Blu Ray(Grail) arrives.

Raindog421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:42 AM   #317
spiderman2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog421 View Post
Wow ,so, seven months and I have made it through Smallville. Have to say I agree with everything everyone has said about season 8. I cringed through half the season at some of the storylines some of the characters were given. Took me awhile to make it through the season.
I don't know if I could name a favorite but really like the charm the show had in the beginning. Also, watching straight through hard to keep season straight. Have to say I never really gave the show a chance when it was on because I thought it was cheap because a local actor I had never heard of was playing Lex. Have to say, he is one of my favorite parts of the show. As some have said, some of the storylines he was given were crazy but he is probably my favorite Lex Luthor ever and I grew up with Hackman and would have thought that was a laughable statement until actually watching the show. Just my opinion.

Anyway, great show, will watch series again someday, no doubt. Liked the last episode myself, which I just watched last night. I wish Darkseid himself would have been done away with and maybe just his evil trio and apocalypse just been the threat. I went into expecting to be let down and thought it was done quite well IMO. The whole show is about him turning into Superman and that is what happens. I think he would have looked silly in the costume on a Smallville set used any more than he was though he looked better in it than BR did. I'm surprised at how well some of the heroes costumes worked as well as they did. Hawkman stands out the most to me. Excellent costume and actor. Great character, could have seen even more.

Anyway, overall great show, great and bad. But 10 seasons with 200+ episodes they all can't be great I guess. Now, onto Arrow until the 66 series Blu Ray(Grail) arrives.
Glad you liked the show. I got into it some what late to but not has late has you. I started watching it after season 5 had ended and they where showing reruns on abc family before season 6 started on cw and then I was hoocked. I am at the end of season 8 have like 2 or 3 episodes left and then I will have went though season 1-8 , 4 times have watched season 9 3 times to and season 10 just twice.