The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Smallville

Old 04-02-2012, 03:54 AM   #126
Rockstar
Banned User

Default Re: The Best, The Worst of Smallville

I thought the treatment of Darkseid from a writing standpoint was garbage too.

The whole 'Satan' motif they used and turning Darkseid into some generic supernatural "EVIL" force was just so cliche and weak. Even stranger that 'the darkness' has been on Earth for centuries and responsible for World War II and other atrocities.

I laughed out loud in that Chloe episode where Desaad was trying to use the 'seven deadly sins' against her.

It all showed that the writers really didn't understand any of these characters beyond the basic surface stuff. They were more interested in name dropping DC characters than doing justice to those characters.

Forget the budget, the writing was Smallville's kryptonite.

Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:15 AM   #127
Johnny
Side-Kick

Only sometimes. For the most part part Smallville had decent writing imo. Again, the villains in Smallville have always been an alternate versions of their counterparts from the comics. Darkseid being an evil Satan-type entity or wtv is no different. You may find it weak or lacking, and that's fine. I don't. I didn't mind the concept and had no problem to see a different version of a villain who otherwise I'm very familiar with. And for the hundreth time - I do think they could've showed us something better. But I would never call it garbage. Garbage is turning Lana into a walking kryptonite or the Henry James Olsen thing. This is what I consider insulting, horrible writing and garbage. Doomsday and Darkseid while not having the payoff we wanted, were not nearly as bad storyline-wise. Davis was not a bad character at all.

Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #128
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Davis was not a bad character at all.
You know, I almost replied that Davis would have been okay as a character if they hadn't called him Doomsday as well and done a load of stupid things with his storyline.

But then I realised, I didn't like him as a character anyway... And I didn't like how he made the rest of the cast look either.

Everyone came out of season 8 looking like an idiot. Except maybe Lois, but she wasn't involved at all really.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 AM   #129
Johnny
Side-Kick

What didn't make sense about him was the way he killed Jimmy in the end. He was supposed to be a nice guy who struggled with his monster side, and they chose to go the cliched obsessed psychopath way at the finale. I didn't like that. Other than that he was a good addition to the cast along with Tess.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #130
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
What didn't make sense about him was the way he killed Jimmy in the end. He was supposed to be a nice guy who struggled with his monster side, and they chose to go the cliched obsessed psychopath way at the finale. I didn't like that. Other than that he was a good addition to the cast along with Tess.
Honestly, I wouldn't have minded if they had gone with a different route where Davis embraced his kryptonian side and capitalized his roots with Zod in the second half of the season.

Heck, instead of making him a paramedic, I think it would been better to make him into a cop, where the showrunners could further provide a better parallel between Clark and Davis, where both of them are acting in as protector figures, only for Davis's mindset to slowly be warped where he becomes a vigilante as he makes excuses in killing criminals to say that they deserved it, where really it was a result of his hunger for murder.

I also think that the whole chaos that doomsday created on public streets at night should have had a larger repercussion where the public and even Checkmate would have been made known to have noticed it which would in turn influence on how they went about things as a result.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #131
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I thought writing was fine most of the time. And you do have to remember they had folks from dc working with them from time to time.sure there was tons of crap episodes. But name me one show that had as long of a run as sv did and it was never 100% perfect either, no show is.

Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #132
SV Fan
Side-Kick

I've recently been rewatching a bunch of episodes from each season(I have a list of 120 episodes) and I have to say S5+6 episodes are the toughest to rewatch. For the most part I enjoyed most seasons, there might be a scene here or there that i get slightly annoyed but I found on a whole S5+6 episodes felt like a chore, even more so then S7(which I consider "the worst season).

From S5 I rewatched 7 episodes, and of the bunch only Aqua and Exposed were for the most part enjoyable throughout. For the most part the other episodes I watched were unwhelming in Season 5. S6 was weird in the sense many times half the episode was great then the other half was Clexana which just completely dragged the episode down. Season 5 suffered by being to dark and depressing, while Season 6 the Clexana stuff just felt like a bad soap opera. The worst part about Season 6 episode is I thought there was alot of good episode premises that get knocked down a notch by interjecting Clexana into it. I think the funny part about Season 6 is sometimes when I rewatch the episode I will fast forward through the Clexana stuff, but when you watch the full episode it's like night and day how my opinion of the episode changes.

Last edited by SV Fan; 04-02-2012 at 12:28 PM.
SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #133
chumchees
Side-Kick

The show usually did a decent job with human/human looking villains. Brainiac, Zod, and Metallo. Season 8 could have been the beginning of Clark Kent as a superhero, with the reporter/alter ego stuff with Intergang as a season long villain. The season cliffhanger could have been Metallo. Season 9 could have been just Zod and 4-5 other Kandorians, not 50+ like they did. A whole season of Clark vs Zod and Kandorians would be enoguh for him to finally fly in the season ending cliffhanger. Season 10 could have been just Suicide Squad, return of Lex, and the final steps to becoming Superman. Season 8-10 could have been a Lois and Clark show, you don't need meteor freaks and Clark saving the day at the end of each episode. It could have been investigating and reporting, and not always meteor freaks but just regular criminals. With the show on Fridays and running few seasons longer than it should, its not going to draw new viewers. So you dont really need Darksied and big DC villains. It think overall, season 8-10 especially, they had decent ideas, just never executed them properly.

chumchees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #134
redrover
Banned User

Best, Allison Mack, giving great performances while being saddled with a cast of actors who for the most part were bad extras. John Glover and his Lionel, and Lex, both actor and character.

The show always looked great, well shot, and good cgi for a tv show on a small network.

Worst, Tom "I really can't act" Welling, who in the last years of the show seemed to even attempt to try. Kristen Krouk, as pretty as she was, a lame Lana, and Erica "Worst Lois Lane of all time" Durance, who had no chemistry with Welling(not surprising, only anyone with any talent did, since they provided it all, not him), and her Lois who had to sleep her way in the DP twice, while being a small minded idiiot with allusions of grandeur. Set Lois Lane back at least three decades.

Add to that the mediocre writing, and producer control and you get, mediocrity run rampant.

redrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #135
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Wow I so don't agree with that tom and erica where great last few yrs. John/michael where some of the best on show, along side the kents actors. The show was always great with casting.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #136
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrover View Post
Best, Allison Mack, giving great performances while being saddled with a cast of actors who for the most part were bad extras. John Glover and his Lionel, and Lex, both actor and character.

The show always looked great, well shot, and good cgi for a tv show on a small network.

Worst, Tom "I really can't act" Welling, who in the last years of the show seemed to even attempt to try. Kristen Krouk, as pretty as she was, a lame Lana, and Erica "Worst Lois Lane of all time" Durance, who had no chemistry with Welling(not surprising, only anyone with any talent did, since they provided it all, not him), and her Lois who had to sleep her way in the DP twice, while being a small minded idiiot with allusions of grandeur. Set Lois Lane back at least three decades.

Add to that the mediocre writing, and producer control and you get, mediocrity run rampant.
I almost feel like I am on TWOP with all your rampant Chloe love/Lois hate. lol

Just out of curiosity, I always hear the Lois slept her way to the planet from the Chloe fanatic crowd(although if you go by show canon she is hired in S7 E2 and doesn't start dating the boss till the last scene of hers in S7 E7, so that is false but that doesn't stop the Chloe fanatic crowd from constantly rehashing it as truth) but twice? When exactly was the second time(for the sake of argument I'll say her dating the boss 5 episodes after she got hired was the first time)?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #137
Johnny
Side-Kick

To be fair, I kinda missed the fanatic illogical pricks lol. Good comedy.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #138
Milos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrover View Post

Milos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #139
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

the whole Darkseid story.. garbage. I didn't like anything with 'doomsday'...what a way to make him a complete sham...

I thought all the stuff with Brainiac was good and I loved seing the Legion of Superheroes..

MarvelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #140
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Milos and redrover are the same person

Old 04-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #141
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

They probably are.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #142
iwtv
Side-Kick

In defense of Tom Welling's acting...I recently watched an episode on HDNet that reminded portrayed a rare moment: The only other chick Clark was dating that was neither Lana nor Lois...from season 5, I think...Allisya, or something? She died, and when Clark held her and saw that she was dead, his face actually cracked like a real person's would have to the point of tears.

As far as I can remember, Welling never did that since.

iwtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #143
Johnny
Side-Kick

Alicia Baker, yeah. One of my favorite recurring characters on the show. And Sarah Carter is simply gorgeous so I'm totally biased. I was actually never so impressed with that particular reaction Tom gave, but it wasn't the worst thing he's ever done either.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #144
Rockstar
Banned User

Another major problem with Smallville is the show seemed to be one empty tease with very mediocre payoff.

Henry 'James' Olsen wasn't the only fakeout. The show did that all the time.

Some Examples:

- All of Season 10 building towards a wedding. So much time spent on that plot...and it all led to a fake wedding in the Finale.

- 8 Seasons of development for Lex Luthor completely wiped by the mind erase in the finale. In the end, nothing they did with his character ended up building towards his future self.

- All of Season 10 building towards a major battle with Darkseid, and it ended up just being Clark flying into Lionel..

- A season of development for Davis Bloome as Doomsday, only for him to be split from the actual Doomsday in the end and then killed off... making him completely irrelevant to Doomsday and a completely different character. Another fakeout essentially.

- All of Season ten teasing that Welling would wear the Superman suit, and it ended up just being his head plastered on a CGI body, never even giving us a clear view of Superman.

I liked Season 9 because it actually built. They delivered on mostly everything they set up. It almost seemed self-contained.

I thought the good seasons of SV were 1, 2, 3, 5 and 9.

The bad ones were 4, 6, 7, 8, and 10 (10 being the biggest disappointment for me, it was a complete mess).

Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #145
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Tom I say grew a lot in ten yrs. Yes at the start he was pretty fresh. But in time he grow a lot, and he always worked great with kid actors in the show. Then even learning to direct and produce the show where some other strengths he had.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #146
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Another major problem with Smallville is the show seemed to be one empty tease with very mediocre payoff.
I will add to your list Season 2(which I find to many people give a free pass to because for some reason the poop doesn't stink in early seasons for alot of people).
-Clark basically spends the entire season trying to learn his origins only to find out his AI dad is a huge prick in the Season final.
-The subplot of Lex and Helen had a terrible payoff as well(guess what she is really evil).
-Let's not forget Martha's pregnancy which the payoff is she has a miscarriage just to give Clark another reason to blame himself and do something stupid

Season 5 maybe wasn't an empty tease but I found it to have terrible payoffs
-I hated the whole Clark loses his power only to die and regain them but Johnaton dies in his place
-Clexana triangle drama

The only seasons where the season long arc I thought were good and well written was S3 and S9, and sadly Clark was hardly to be found in the S3 storyarc

In general I find the less an episode stays away from the bigger (or even some smaller) storyarcs, generally the better the episode is which is probably why a bulk of my favorite episodes are in Season 1, 4 and the first half of 8. I would agree to a certain degree that the show was terrible for giving us payoffs to storylines, but I guess where we disagree is I much rather have a half assed written storyline with a good payoff(say like Darkseid) then a well thought out storyline with a crappy payoff(say like S5's depression fest)

Last edited by SV Fan; 04-08-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #147
Johnny
Side-Kick

People had drastically different opinions on Smallville during its entire run, I'm not surprised one bit that this hasn't changed a year after its conclusion.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #148
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

That is so true but what show doesn't have ups and downs through its runs.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #149
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

The Chloe and Oliver romance never made sense to me, it just seemed so forced.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #150
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

There was times I thought it was ok. But then ya they went to heavy with them. Where it should have ended, and ollie be with dinah.