The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Smallville

Old 10-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
BatmanVSuperman
Gothopolis

Th Confused Why is Smallville polarizing amongst Superman fans?

I understand Welling was no master thespian, but his look was right for Clark imo and he fit in well with the show's concept. The character of Lana started out very well, and Lex as well as his father was done well. I loved the relationship Clark had with his parents in earlier years. I'm even noticing the new Flash tv show fans are taking some shots at Smallville and already considering the new show (off of just the pilot) better than all 10 years of Smallville. I think it is too early to tell. For some reason if you bring up Smallville to some Superman fans, they totally freak out in disgust. Nothing is perfect, I just wonder why the hatred and vitriol from some What did the show do to lose some of those fans?

"Superman Returns: I'm in awe of it. I watch it every now and then just to make sure I didn't dream up some of it while I was passed out drunk." Rocketman
BatmanVSuperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Johnny
Side-Kick

Default Re: Why is Smallville polarizing amongst Superman fans?

It's just like any other adaptation. It would be appealing to some and a "mythology butcher" to others.

Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
smallville fan
Hero

Because those people hate change even if it's for the better. It's sad to see that's still happening today having some sad belief Superman can't live on past Christopher Reeve or in the comics when they say Superman's New 52 tenure is horrible. Smallville really is a good thing for the Superman mythos.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:13 AM   #4
Wheels
Explicit Ambrose Violence

I loved the show for a long time before the last episode left me cold. I didn't mind it being different but I do mind it being unsatisfying for me. We didn't get to see Welling as Superman despite the show choosing to evolve beyond the original idea and make it into a straight up superhero show. Lex's entire Smallville history is erased which means his story on the show means nothing because it doesn't inform who the real rival of Superman is. Lex's journey is irrelevant because we get a clean slate at the end of the series.

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:40 PM   #5
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
I loved the show for a long time before the last episode left me cold. I didn't mind it being different but I do mind it being unsatisfying for me. We didn't get to see Welling as Superman despite the show choosing to evolve beyond the original idea and make it into a straight up superhero show. Lex's entire Smallville history is erased which means his story on the show means nothing because it doesn't inform who the real rival of Superman is. Lex's journey is irrelevant because we get a clean slate at the end of the series.
You try reading the Season 11 Comic?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
Wheels
Explicit Ambrose Violence

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
You try reading the Season 11 Comic?
No, I might do that someday. Honestly though, if I have to reed Season 11 to make everything seem better then someone wasn't doing their job with the finale. It's just like how Clone Wars being great doesn't make the Prequel films better.

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #7
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I did find it a rather unambitious show for the most part.

Especially early on. It wasn't bad per se, but they could have explored so much more with the material given. Even with a budget.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
elgaz
Side-Kick

I watched the entire show from beginning to finish, and was a 'fan'. Not a hardcore-blinkers-on fan - I've criticised plenty of things about the show - but someone who just liked the initial concept and stood by the show until the very end because ultimately, it was still a show about my favourite comic book character.

I liked the casting.
I liked the rich history they gave some of the characters.
I liked the stories which were, for the most part, good - although there were a few duds along the way.
I liked the effects, which were superb in the first few years for a TV show, though they did suffer a bit as budgets were reduced.
I liked the characters - Superman was only one part of the Smallville mythos, and we got to meet many of his DC stablemates such as Flash, Hawkman, Green Arrow, etc. Batman was the most obvious absence but I guess that was just too much to ask.
I liked the show's determination to stick to telling the story of Clark Kent, and not to suddenly become something it was never intended to be (a Superman TV show) along the way ... hence the no tights/no flights rule.
I liked the cameos from Superman-related actors - Christopher Reeve, Margot Kidder, etc.

There were of course things that weren't popular.

I didn't like the style of writing, which was a typical CW trait. Too much Dawnson's Creek-style prose, cliches, ridiculous narratives and so on.
I didn't like the the handling of some key villains. Doomsday for example - the encounter between him and Clark was a huge anticlimax. Darkseid was also a disappointment - huge physical presence, but they chose to have him mentally inhabit a human. Again this was likely due to budget constraints - understandable but nonetheless disappointing.
I didn't like the back-and-forth and constant will they/won't they questions between Clark and Lana. They dragged that one out waaaaaaaaaaaay too long - again, another typical trait of CW dramas who seem to think it injects tensions into a show. It doesn't.
I didn't like the budget constraints in later seasons. It showed. The set they used for Metropolis (and any other street shots) in the last few seasons was woefully overused. Even the extras seemed to dwindle away to nothing - large crowds on the street in the first few seasons, to 3 or 4 odd spectators in later ones.
I didn't like some of the iffy acting. Wasn't even the main cast usually, but random actors appearing as a one-off.

And like many viewers, I didn't like that we never got the money shot - a full view of Tom Welling in the suit. They teased it, we got some partial body shots and distant CGi, but never a full Superman pose. I understand the show was always about Clark Kent becoming Superman, but nevertheless the finale was the end of the road - Smallville had finally arrived at its destination after a 10yr journey. I felt they owed it to the show AND the fans to proudly present Superman, showing that Clark had made it and what all his trials and tribulations had achieved. It was teased instead.

So all in all, I liked the show a lot but it had its flaws. And I guess that's why it still polarizes opinion to this day; how much you like the show was largely dictated by how much you were able to see past its flaws. Some people just couldn't buy into the teenage romance angles, the writing, the constant use of meteor rock as a plot device.

Despite the flaws, I felt the show tried hard, and for that reason I stuck with it.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
I didn't like the style of writing, which was a typical CW trait. Too much Dawnson's Creek-style prose, cliches, ridiculous narratives and so on.

I didn't like the back-and-forth and constant will they/won't they questions between Clark and Lana. They dragged that one out waaaaaaaaaaaay too long - again, another typical trait of CW dramas who seem to think it injects tensions into a show. It doesn't.
I am guessing this is the major thing that got it negativity from the comic book fans. The producers fascination with trying to keep Lana relevant, but only as some object for Clark to long for really dragged down the show at times. You can only tease will they get together or won't they so much before it gets old.

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:58 AM   #10
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
I am guessing this is the major thing that got it negativity from the comic book fans. The producers fascination with trying to keep Lana relevant, but only as some object for Clark to long for really dragged down the show at times. You can only tease will they get together or won't they so much before it gets old.
They took that dead horse, beat it, flogged it, then beat it some more. And flogged it again. Then gave it another beating. Then they turned round to leave, and figured what the hell, one more for the road - so gave it another beating.

It was all a bit pointless too, given that most of us fully expected that the Lana thing would never truly work out in the end - given that Lois Lane is the love of Clark's life in most of the mythology.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:48 AM   #11
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
It was all a bit pointless too, given that most of us fully expected that the Lana thing would never truly work out in the end
I personally think Lana and Clark should have started dating by Season 3 and you could have had 2 seasons of that before they break up for good. The producers seemed like like soap opera style drama(although I guess one could argue they sort of separated them in Season 4 for most of the season so they could drag it on more in later years)

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #12
famicommander
Side-Kick

Disclaimer: I'm not a big Superman fan at all. I love TAS and I like a few of the movies (especially some of the animated ones) but in general I'm indifferent to the character.

I personally didn't like Smallville because it seemed to be ashamed of being a comic book show. We see all the relevant Superman characters, we see him fight almost all of this major rogues, we see a ton of comic stories adapted but he still isn't Superman until the very end. If you want to make a prequel show then do it, but don't do it halfway like they did with Smallville. He shouldn't be facing off against the likes of Doomsday and Darkseid if you're doing the no tights/flight rule.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #13
STARMAN
Side-Kick

Smallville is three different concepts. Seasons 1-4. Then seasons 5-7. Then season 8-10. I enjoyed the first two seasons of Smallville for what it was. Young Clark Kent coming of age while discovering his various powers. Those first two seasons were cheesy but at least it had a clear identity. The more complex the show became the less charm it had. At least to me.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote