The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #726
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The Last of Us

Hasn't Naughty Dog been pretty adamant about not using Ellie and Joel again. I know they could have a sequel with different characters but I'm not sure people would be so happy about that.

I personally wouldn't mind as I was satisfied with their ending but I can definitely see some people getting their jimmies rustled.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB

Last edited by craigdbfan; 07-09-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #727
Superhero 101
DESI

I would love to see a game that shows what happened to Joel over the years like the falling out with Tommy and Meeting Tess and Billy for the first time

Old 07-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #728
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Hasn't Naughty Dog been pretty adamant about not using Ellie and Joel again. I know they could have a sequel with different characters but I'm not sure people would be so happy about that.

I personally wouldn't mind as I was satisfied with their ending but I can definitely see some people getting their jimmies rustled.
No, they never said that. They are open to doing a sequel and open to bringing back Joel and Ellie

Old 07-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #729
Nathan

I definitely wouldn't mind playing as new characters. Honestly, I guess I'd prefer it. Joel's and Ellie's ending satisfied me enough. I don't need to see what happens to them in the future.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #730
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I think people are getting ahead of themselves with a sequel. Let's not forget there's still some single player DLC to come first.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #731
Brother Jack
Confirmed Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I definitely wouldn't mind playing as new characters. Honestly, I guess I'd prefer it. Joel's and Ellie's ending satisfied me enough. I don't need to see what happens to them in the future.
I agree. The ending left it with enough said about their story. The most I could see would be several years later with an adult Ellie, but I would rather a sequel be about new characters. A continuation would most likely undo the great ambiguity of the ending.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #732
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

So I finished the game. I really took my time, exploring the environment as much as I could to gather everything I could find. And to appreciate it too. The level of detail is huge and the landscapes are so beautiful. I clocked over 24 hours to finish it. I'll start my survival playthrough, now.

I guess there's nothing else to say about the story and the characters that everyone else doesn't know. They're all amazing. This game is phenomenal. But they got me with the ending. Nothing I expected happened. It's hard to say if this is a good thing. I wished for a more closed ending. I don't think anything I did in this game really mattered for that world. It was just an year struggling to survive. I felt something similar when Arkham City ended, even though here it is much better. Maybe they didn't want the end to be cliched, with the character walking into the sunset, so I'll give them points for that.

As for the gameplay, I was ready to criticize it, since the aiming was so annoying and using any of the guns was nothing special. But as I upgraded to the steady aim and got to upgrade myself and the guns, it became more interesting to fight. I didn't need to just circle around the danger silently to take it down in a stealthy way anymore, because that was starting to get tiresome. Every section of the game was basically that all over again: survive in a place, while you're trying to reach a specific location, like a school or a hospital, gather the supplies and move on. Since I was always so carefull with my supplies, I never had any trouble with ammo or medicine. It was tense, but never really exciting to me. I was never too eager to put the disc on the PS3 to play it again. I missed some variation, like when we're in a house with a sniper gun and we most protect Elllie and the two brothers. The controls are sharp and I'll probably have more fun now that I'm used to it and have all of my stuff with me. More points to them for New Game +.

That being said, I'm done with this story. I loved the game, it was a great journey and I'm happy that Naughty Dog did such a masterful game, but I have zero interest and revisit this world to do the same thing with the same people or with different characters. While they produce the next Uncharted game, I hope they also focus on another incredible IP with another incredible story. I enjoyed every minute of The Last of Us but I'm ready for the next different and great adventure that they can come up with.

9.5/10

Old 07-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #733
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

I honestly think it'd be a bit of a shame to see any new game in the TLOU universe, but it's sold so incredibly well that I'm prepared for the inevitable.

It would just leave such a cool legacy as a one-off masterpiece, not a franchise.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #734
Havok83
Side-Kick

Playing again and nearly teared up at the scene where Ellie kills David. That was awful. Truly heartwrenching

Old 07-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #735
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
Playing again and nearly teared up at the scene where Ellie kills David. That was awful. Truly heartwrenching
Here's a question about that scene. Do you think
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
that it was David's intention to rape Ellie at that point? I was talking about this with my friend - I thought, based on what David said both earlier and there in that moment and Ellie screaming "He was gonna--" to Joel, that he was about to.

Anyways, the point where I'll admit to getting a little emotional is
the giraffes. Just a perfect scene where these two characters get to enjoy the most tranquil moment, heightened all the more by the contrast of this messed up world. The soundtrack is top notch at this point.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #736
Superhero 101
DESI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
that it was David's intention to rape Ellie at that point? I was talking about this with my friend - I thought, based on what David said both earlier and there in that moment and Ellie screaming "He was gonna--" to Joel, that he was about to.

the giraffes. Just a perfect scene where these two characters get to enjoy the most tranquil moment, heightened all the more by the contrast of this messed up world. The soundtrack is top notch at this point.

Yeah that's what I thought

Old 07-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #737
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:

I definitely think he was going to rape her. I think there were only two options at that point; either kill her or rape her and he didn't kill her. I think he wanted to make her pay for defying him and at that moment, he wanted to break her.

IA on the giraffes. She apparently hasn't talked or been too happy since killing David as it traumatized her but seeing the giraffes seemed to bring some life back into her and show that life goes on. IA on the irony of it being a tranquil moment in the mess of all this mess that is their reality. It was great

Old 07-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #738
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:

So many terrible possibilities. I personally though he was a twisted enough dude, and a cannibal to boot, so probably would have lead to him using her as his sex toy/food supply simultaneously. Luckily we never have to find out what his true intentions were.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #739
Superhero 101
DESI

started to play new mode plus on easy still a fun game even though its my third time

Old 07-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #740
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Forgot to review this last week.

But truly this is a masterpiece of a game. The first few hours I was kinda iffy about some of it, and the gameplay. But it all works. The survival and desperate feel of the game is just heart wrenching and entertaining on an emotional level. By the end I was worn out. But this game showed that walking that fine line that you can make a game as engaging as a film, and maybe in some ways more so. Ellie and Joel are going to be two characters I'll never forget. There were moments all over the place where I teared up. And Ellie truly became like my own daughter (and I don't even have kids yet). I wanted to protect her from the world and reach out and hold her to let her know it will all be okay. I loved the ending, because man does it make you think. What would you do? Kind of thing. But I agreed with everything Joel did, mainly because you emotionally become so involved with the game you just see it clearly from his perspective. If I told people about it just from a story point they would say what Joel did was wrong. (I won't say the spoiler but you guys know). But if you live through the game, it truly is a transformation type game. And that is truly rare. Yet again Naughty Dog has created another epic, and has no signs of slowing down.

10/10

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 07-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #741
Havok83
Side-Kick

I was not feeling TLOU MP at all at first but its actually quite fun once you learn how to play. I hope DLC brings more game modes. I think some co op scenarios similar to Uncharted would be a great addition

Im not a fan of the High School map. I think its the only one I hate. Dont really like the Lakeside Resort either as that seems more suited for snipers and Im not a sniper. University, Bills Town and Checkpoint are the best

Old 07-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #742
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

I don't care much for Downtown or Highschool much myself. I've grown to actually like University. Ido wish there was more variety in gameplay like maybe a mode with computer controlled infected.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #743
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I don't care much for Downtown or Highschool much myself. I've grown to actually like University. Ido wish there was more variety in gameplay like maybe a mode with computer controlled infected.
that would be a good idea. The infected can either down you via attacks or bite. If they get you via attacks, theres a chance your teammates can still revive you but if you get bitten, then you will turn into an infected over time or upon respawn. At that point your teammate has to make the choice to either kill you for the groups safety or revive you. The only way the player can tell for sure what happened to his teammates is if he saw it. If you become infected you, then have to hunt and kill your former team. Man, that actually sounds like a good game mode!

Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #744
Storm22
Side-Kick

Finished the game finally. This game absolutely nailed the desperation element, much like Tomb Raider before it. I really found myself using my ammo and supplies sparingly and panicked when I ran out of anything. The game, as others have said is eerily beautiful but intense, I was constantly on the edge of my seat. The Winter part in particular reminded me of The Shining and I loved how
we got to play as Ellie and how she was able to handle herself so well.

The story and characters were also fantastic and kept me hooked all the way through. 9/10

Old 07-28-2013, 01:37 AM   #745
Peydro Parker
Side-Kick

Beat this game a week ago and that ending stuck with me for days. I really don't blame Joel for doing what he did at the end. I would have likely done the same if I were in his shoes. The character development was excellent, better than anything Hollywood has put out this summer, you really felt for Joel and Ellie and they seem like family by the end (twisted, crazy family but family never the less). The level of tension throughout the game had me on the edge of my seat and the graphics are absolutely gorgeous. Lastly, the winter portion..wow. The game is worth checking out for this section of the game alone, I don't think I've ever felt a rush quite like I did for the restaurant scene with Ellie and David. Incredible suspense.

I'm looking forward to playing the MP and taking another spin with SP again. If you have a PS3 and still haven't checked this out.....seriously what are you waiting for?

Last edited by Peydro Parker; 07-28-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #746
Superhero 101
DESI

I still have not yet played multiplayer I checked it out at a friends but I only watched didn't play it

Old 07-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #747
Havok83
Side-Kick

Just got the platinum in this game

Old 07-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #748
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Quote:
Just got the platinum in this game
Awesome, did you get the online trophies last? Thats what I did.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:33 PM   #749
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Awesome, did you get the online trophies last? Thats what I did.
Yep. Completely both of the faction journeys are long even with skipping some of the days

Last edited by Havok83; 08-01-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #750
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Quote:
Yep. Completely both of the faction journeys is long even with skipping some of the days
Yeah I actually raged quit a couple of times due to my teammates lack of.....intelligence. Gifting items gave me lots of supplies I noticed though. All I would play after or between classes was the multiplayer until I got the two journey trophies lol. Online trophies lack that are usually the bane of my Platniums, but this being a more recent game I decided to start now.

I was able to complete my second journey in about 5 days, my first felt like forever.

Closed Thread