The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 12-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #26
samsnee
Side-Kick

Default Re: Patty Jenkins no longer directing "Thor 2"

It does make you wonder about all the positive things that came from Branagh and Hiddleston about her. I'm sure they were being honest, but they'll probably be less likely to be so enthusiastic next time until shooting actually starts.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #27
jrd550
He who is him

Marvel putting the creative handcuffs on...

jrd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #28
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

^Oh god! Here we go again. Because the guys at Marvel Studios don't have a creative bone in their bodies and are just bean counters or studio suits, right?

Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #29
JackMercy
Side-Kick

I needed to make this epic for my anniversary post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compi716 View Post
I'd really love to know what these "creative differences" always are.
"This time I want him to drink tea instead of coffee in the diner."
"No."

Sometimes it really does come down to really stupid stuff like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Same here. I wonder if Kevin Feige was being too demanding again.
Ya think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I feel like it wouldn't matter what directors Marvel gets in general for their movies since they have a specific vision for them so any creative input from the directors wouldn't be so huge.
Bingo. Marvel very quickly developed a 'rep' in this town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
You'd figure all these 'creative differences' stuff would get ironed out before the director was hired. Isn't that what they're supposed to do? See if they're all sympatico on what film they want to make.
Yes, that is what they're supposed to do...but oh so very often it does not go that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Marvel Studios really needs to allow some creative freedom beyond the buildup for Avengers 2. Let's hope the next director actually makes it to filming and post-production.
Why should they? They're making Benjamins hand over fist. What incentive is there for them to truly offer creative freedom? They've tried it twice with Hulk. Didn't work.

We aren't in the age of 'encouraging challenging performances' now, are we? We're in the Marvel Age. [insert sarcasm, scowl, laugh, whatever you prefer here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
Why is it always "creative differences" when it comes to the Marvel films?
Hmm... See last two sentences above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Marvel seems to want things their way or nothing. Not to say that's a completely bad thing but then why hire creative talent only to force them into a certain mold of things?
Hmm...ibid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
As long as they keep Shane Black on Iron Man I'm good.
Heh.

Quote:
I see no evidence of that. TIH was unique because of Ang Lee's disaster preceeding it. Thor was a bonafide hit which would make Marvel more willing to take risks rather than less.
Bana, Norton, exit stage left. Ruffalo, you're next. Did anyone really care?
Thor a hit? Captain America's now a bigger one. [see home video figures]

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
It does make you wonder about all the positive things that came from Branagh and Hiddleston about her. I'm sure they were being honest, but they'll probably be less likely to be so enthusiastic next time until shooting actually starts.
Perhaps, but the contracts are signed, baby...and that's all Marvel cares about.

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)

Last edited by JackMercy; 12-06-2011 at 08:47 PM.
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #30
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

My reaction when I heard the news:

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #31
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy View Post

Bana, Norton, exit stage left. Ruffalo, you're next. Did anyone really care?
Thor a hit? Captain America's now a bigger one. [see home video figures]

Yep, Thor was hit, and, sorry, Cap wasn't/isn't, even with his bigger video figures.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #32
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Btw, nice to see the ''marvel bashing' taking off.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #33
kedrell

Oh Cap was definitely a hit. TIH is the only MS film that was a 'well, we broke even' movie. And that film had unique baggage.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #34
jrd550
He who is him

Hey Kedrell - first off I love you avatar - I can stare at it for hours.

I am just commenting on Branagh leaving for what I presume to be creative differences and now Jenkins for the same reason. Since Marvel are the studio, and producers then they have final cut, not the director and some director's don't like those type of restrictions, i.e. handcuffs.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #35
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
Yep, Thor was hit, and, sorry, Cap wasn't/isn't, even with his bigger video figures.
Wasn't denying Thor's success (and I personally like it more than Cap) -- just saying that in Marvel's estimation, Captain America, however "mild" a hit it was, was allll bonus for them (no one quite knew how the movie would perform), and the fact that it's outselling Thor is gravy to Marvel's meat which is branded with "Only hire directors and stars who won't battle us in the creative process or editing room."

By the way, I'm a Marvel Comics follower from childhood, straight-up. But I have no illusions about how, as a studio entity, they are now conducting their business, having experience in said business myself.

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)

Last edited by JackMercy; 12-06-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #36
kedrell

They're only handcuffs IMO if they're told they'll have creative freedom up front but then the studio starts meddling later(a FOX specialty). I seriously doubt that's going on at MS. They already have their vision and it's laid out. Any director coming on to such a project knows going in that he/she is hired to bring the studio's vision to life, rather than their own.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #37
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
They're only handcuffs IMO if they're told they'll have creative freedom up front but then the studio starts meddling later(a FOX specialty). I seriously doubt that's going on at MS. They already have their vision and it's laid out. Any director coming on to such a project knows going in that he/she is hired to bring the studio's vision to life, rather than their own.
Exactly. It's all about how much wiggle-room you can negotiate...

Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #38
DarknessOfDeath
Trust no one...but Cobie!

Why didn't we all see this coming? Too bad since I thought Jenkins was a good choice. Damn.

Get your game on, Marvel!!
DarknessOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #39
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy View Post
Wasn't denying Thor's success (and I personally like it more than Cap) -- just saying that in Marvel's estimation, Captain America, however "mild" a hit it was, was allll bonus for them (no one quite knew how the movie would perform), and the fact that it's outselling Thor is gravy to Marvel's meat which is branded with "Only hire directors who won't battle us in the creative process or editing room."
Well, I don't think there's much logic in your post.
First, you're implying Brangh is a director who wouldn't battle marvel studios, unlike Johnston.
Second, you're a director like Johnston is the reason Cap is doing better on dvd( let's not forget the fact he's supposed to be a much bigger name in US) .
But why didn't it do better on the movies( where it really matters)?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #40
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Am I missing something? When did Patty Jenkins become Darren Aronofsky? This is no great loss. She directed one good movie nearly a decade ago and a bunch of t.v. shows. Yet, people are saddened by this news for some odd reason.

In all honesty, I would prefer somebody like Tarsem Singh. This movie needs to be epic, not some character driven drama. Get a director with a bold visual style and a sense of adventure.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
ElMariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #41
kedrell

Uh, both theatrical and DVD matter. Money is money. In fact we really should just lump them in all together to get a complete picture of the success of ANY film.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #42
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Not really surprising. Relatively inexperienced director with not a lot of experience on bigger budget projects. Branagh has done a lot of heavy drama and Shakespeare, but he still previously did some pretty big budget high concept films.

I think they should've just brought Branagh back anyway I think. It's a lot to ask to have a female director come in and carry on work someone else started. It's not really "her" vision.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #43
kedrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
Am I missing something? When did Patty Jenkins become Darren Aronofsky? This is no great loss. She directed one good movie nearly a decade ago and a bunch of t.v. shows. Yet, people are saddened by this news for some odd reason.

In all honesty, I would prefer somebody like Tarsem Singh. This movie needs to be epic, not some character driven drama. Get a director with a bold visual style and a sense of adventure.
I'd prefer both.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #44
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Marvel has to meddle. They had the vision for this all and it's worked out pretty well I think we can all agree. Nothing would be worse than some hotshot director throwing a wrench in the forumula and it blowing up in their face. How would people react if they let Quentin Tarantino direct a Harry Potter movie? Sure, it would be creative but it wouldn't fit with the rest of the movies.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #45
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Maybe they get a Harry Potter director on this. Like Alfonso Cuaron, David Yates, or Mike Newell .

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #46
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
Well, I don't think there's much logic in your post.
First, you're implying Branagh is a director who wouldn't battle marvel studios, unlike Johnston.
Second, you're a director like Johnston is the reason Cap is doing better on dvd( let's not forget the fact he's supposed to be a much bigger name in US) .
But why didn't it do better on the movies( where it really matters)?
Branagh (again, whom I like) was relatively low on the filmmaking totem-pole when being offered this job, in industry terms. Not the "name" he was even a decade ago. He needed the exposure.

Johnston's career was arguably at about the same level -- except he's got friends in high places of the California "New Hollywood" hierarchy. If you don't understand what I'm speaking of, look up his history.

I think there's a few reasons why Cap's selling more DVDs and BDs...I don't think Johnston is one of them.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #47
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
I'd prefer both.
I think what we had in the first movie was perfect. It was the perfect tone for a Thor movie. Anything deeper than that would muddle the character just like they did with Superman Returns. The only areas where I would like some better character writing is with the Warriors Three and Sif. The relationship with Thor, Loki, and Odin as well as Thor/Jane was the right fit.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #48
jrd550
He who is him

Quote:
Very true, the vision is very much laid out beforehand - especially with the characters in the avengers

Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #49
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Not a terrible loss, but it's never good to see a director drop out. Just further complicates the whole production. Hope they find a good replacement soon.
That being said, I'm glad Marvel is so tight-fisted about their movies. I want to see these films done marvels way, period, end of statement.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #50
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
I think what we had in the first movie was perfect. It was the perfect tone for a Thor movie. Anything deeper than that would muddle the character just like they did with Superman Returns. The only areas where I would like some better character writing is with the Warriors Three and Sif. The relationship with Thor, Loki, and Odin as well as Thor/Jane was the right fit.
Agreed. Which is why it was (relatively) successful. Marvel's definitely still worried about getting too mythological on your a$$$$. As much as they like fan support, they like the Benjamins more...preferably from the general audience...in repeat visits...and owning a copy for the whole family.

Was that over the top? I can never tell...