The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #76
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Default Re: Patty Jenkins no longer directing "Thor 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
Man, I hope you're wrong. Historically for superhero franchises, the second film is usually the best of the series, because with the main character established and the origin story out of the way they're free to tackle new and exciting challenges. But Marvel still has yet to prove that they can do that. The only sequel they've gotten to, unless one counts The Incredible Hulk (which was more of a reboot than a sequel), is Iron Man 2 - a movie which proved itself the exception to the "first sequel is the best film" rule and was a letdown overall IMO.

Not only that, but The Dark Knight really raised the bar as well. As much as I get annoyed by fanboys who worship Nolan like a god, he really outdid himself with that movie, transcending the genre and asking hard questions that made the viewer think. I'm not saying Thor 2 has to reach those heights, but it would be nice to see a focus on character and drama that feels natural rather than forced, like they're just making a redundant sequel because the first one made money. Iron Man 2 had that feeling of "well, the first one was successful, and we had to make a sequel, sooo...here it is!" The Dark Knight, on the other hand, was an outstanding film on every level that stood on its own two feet.

Bottom line: I'd like a sequel to Thor that's even better than the first, if possible. If Marvel can do that, then I don't care who the director is.
In the end, that's what really matters to me.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:30 PM   #77
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy View Post
Warner Bros. is also a studio (historically kind to creative talent, I would add) which produces 70% non-superhero pictures.

Marvel Studios' sole purpose is producing their own material.
I never got this argument. Fox and Sony also don't have CBMs as their sole asset, but unlike WB are more aggressive in utilizing them.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:45 PM   #78
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Well until recently WB had a biannual cash cow they could depend on, but they messed up Green Lantern.

Spill

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #79
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
I never got this argument. Fox and Sony also don't have CBMs as their sole asset, but unlike WB are more aggressive in utilizing them.
They have to be. If Sony and Fox doesn't have their respective Marvel films in production/development by a certain time period, the rights will revert back to Marvel and they'll lose everything.

WB on the other hand has no such fear. They can literally do nothing and will always be in control of these properties. Superman probably being the exception at the moment. The upcoming reboot is a product of the Siegel lawsuit, forcing their hand.

Scarlet Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #80
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Wow, it took all of 5 seconds for someone to blame this on Feige.

You want to know what "creative differences" means? It means she wanted more money, and Marvel wouldn't pay it.

I'm so sick of people blaming crap on Marvel when these things don't work out. Negotiations are a two way street. It's pretty clear what Marvel wants as far as it's Cinematic Universe is concerned, so a director ought to know that when going in, if they were going to have a problem.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #81
hatebox
Side-Kick

Don't know her work, so won't miss her, but this can hardly be considered good news. Whether Marvel's reputation is deserved or not, this will only play into it.

hatebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #82
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebox View Post
Don't know her work, so won't miss her, but this can hardly be considered good news. Whether Marvel's reputation is deserved or not, this will only play into it.
They only produced one sequel, actually.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:21 AM   #83
Liam_H
Side-Kick

They probably announced her as the new director without hammering out the details cause Marvel is on a timeline. So when they got to a certain issue she just walked. Luckily the postponed release date gives them some time to look for a replacement.

Spill

Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #84
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post

You want to know what "creative differences" means? It means she wanted more money, and Marvel wouldn't pay it.

I'm so sick of people blaming crap on Marvel when these things don't work out. Negotiations are a two way street. It's pretty clear what Marvel wants as far as it's Cinematic Universe is concerned, so a director ought to know that when going in, if they were going to have a problem.
Don't worry. The ones doing that are the 'usual suspects' from this forum.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:49 AM   #85
KenK
Side-Kick

Quote:

It's always easier to blame the people with no creative involvement in the filmmaking process. We always want to be on the side of the creators, mind you , in this case, are we really at a loss? Granted, I'd be more than happy to see Branagh come back, but failing that, was Patty Jenkins really on anyone's radar to direct a movie like this? Outside of Monster, there's honestly nothing all that impressive on her resume. It'd be interesting to see if Marvel gets to replace her.

KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #86
hatebox
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
Don't worry. The ones doing that are the 'usual suspects' from this forum.
Just like the usual suspects will always defend any given superhero/studio?

Old 12-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #87
Superhero 101
DESI

This made my day!!

Old 12-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #88
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Here's an idea:

Why not get a *Scandinavian* director to direct a film about, you know, Scandinavian gods?

Tomas Alfredson, a Swede, had an international hit with the vampire thriller Let the Right One In, and now he's gone on to bigger things with LeCarre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. He seems to be available, and Marvel could stick a feather in their hat for "cultural authenticity" if they bag him.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:37 AM   #89
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Just because he's Scandinavian doesn't mean he's right for the material.

Spill

Old 12-07-2011, 01:39 AM   #90
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Just like the usual suspects will always defend any given superhero/studio?
Aww. Touched a nerve?

Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 AM   #91
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Sorry to hear this .
I hope they find and finalize a deal with a new director ASAP.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:09 AM   #92
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I wonder what interviews are going to be like for the main cast that was confirmed and Kenneth when asked about this. I mean one moment we hear Chris, Kenneth, and Tom saying on how great they thought Patty was and of her understanding of the material, then the next minute we get this.

I wonder how actors in their shoes approach doing interviews from here on out when asked about this, especially when another director is finally chosen as a permanent thing for the sequel.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #93
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Same as usual, we'll always hear the "oh its great to be working with [name], such a great vision that's going to really excite people" etc.

Spill

Old 12-07-2011, 02:52 AM   #94
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I wonder what interviews are going to be like for the main cast that was confirmed and Kenneth when asked about this. I mean one moment we hear Chris, Kenneth, and Tom saying on how great they thought Patty was and of her understanding of the material, then the next minute we get this.

I wonder how actors in their shoes approach doing interviews from here on out when asked about this, especially when another director is finally chosen as a permanent thing for the sequel.
There's no point in journalists really asking about this from here on out, because the interviews should generally be about the movie that's getting made, not the one that Patty Jenkins...isn't going to make. This is not a Superman Lives situation where the production got within days of filming and/or with a director with much more clout who had major creative control over the production. This is Marvel's bag...and they do make sure people know it.

But yes, actors, etc. move on and just try to produce the best film they can. Many of them do care about the product as well, but are ultimately at the behest of the studio's (and director's) creative choices.

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:55 AM   #95
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Well, I just hope that they pick a director that's someone will make the entire cast honestly excited to be working with like they had mentioned when talking about Kenneth in their interviews.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:08 AM   #96
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
No, not really. Often times it means what it says. Disputes about the creative process and direction of the film/production. The amount of times we've heard about things "falling through" with Marvel Studios and talent in their short life I think really says something about their overall agenda, which to some degree is about money...but it's also about creative and industrial positioning.

Benecio del Toro and Paramount recently "couldn't come to terms" for the Star Trek sequel. That one was about money...apparently. Del Toro has been fairly highly regarded in recent years. Patty Jenkins, while also well-regarded, simply doesn't have the same 'clout'...whether that's partially because she's a rarity, a strong-willed female director, is debatable.

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:17 AM   #97
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
I think what we had in the first movie was perfect. It was the perfect tone for a Thor movie. Anything deeper than that would muddle the character just like they did with Superman Returns. The only areas where I would like some better character writing is with the Warriors Three and Sif. The relationship with Thor, Loki, and Odin as well as Thor/Jane was the right fit.
Anything deeper than Thor would be Superman Returns? I think a Thor sequel can (and should) have better writing, without going that far.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:19 AM   #98
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

How about Lars Von Trier?

JK

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:22 AM   #99
hatebox
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
Aww. Touched a nerve?
How'd you come to that conclusion? Saying this plays into Marvel's hardline reputation, whether it was an amicable parting or not, is hardly fanatical.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #100
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
How'd you come to that conclusion? Saying this plays into Marvel's hardline reputation, whether it was an amicable parting or not, is hardly fanatical.
I get that, and I agree with you about Marvel's hardline reputation.
Anyway, believe me, I don't think your opinion is fanatical.