KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I can't, I just can't

Please, subject change

Do we think Thor will wear his helmet?
I can't see why they'd start in his 4th movie...

Do you think Avengers 2 will be used to help sell the Ant-Man film at all?

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #777
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Cs Funny Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Nah, the previous high point was Cap's hobbit feet
What about Eve Torres as Gamora? We've had a hell of a week, Chewy.

2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #778
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
I can't see why they'd start in his 4th movie...

Would seem smartest to me. Make Ant-Man cool in A2 and have him spin off into a solo film for November.

Not all solo movies need to lead to the end of a Phase. A2 could potentially be a jumping off point for solo films. Ant-Man, Ms. Marvel, Dr. Strange, etc.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #779
Chewy
REDACTED

I bet in a GotG movie that starred only wrestlers and stuntmen there'd be dead civilian bodies left and right. Sounds like a four star movie to me.

Quote:
I don't know about Avengers 2, but he'll probably cameo somewhere

Old 10-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #780
BobJM
Who's Bad?

So a potential roster for A2.

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Hulk
Black Widow
Hawkeye
Falcon (possibly)
War Machine (possibly)
Ant-Man (possibly)
Guardians of the Galaxy (possibly)

Granted those last 4 are all just rumor/speculation. But with that many characters, especially fighting all-reality threatening Thanos....buckle up. Sounds pretty epic already.

Hopefully we'll have more locations than NYC and the Helicarrier, but it's safe to say Marvel's knocking it out of the park right now.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #781
Chewy
REDACTED

Eh more and more characters isn't exactly a great thing. One or two new ones but there's already plenty to explore with the current ones

Old 10-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #782
BobJM
Who's Bad?

True, but more characters isn't exactly a film's death warrant like people always assume. With the right story and direction, it could work beautifully.

Everything so far has shown me that Whedon can handle multiple characters, subplots, etc.

And it adds some weight to the film. The audience needs to feel that we practically need an army of heroes to stop Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet

Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #783
Chewy
REDACTED

And you end up limiting how much time each character is allowed to breathe. Avengers was already stretched a bit thin as far as giving each character something meaningful to do was concerned.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #784
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
I bet in a GotG movie that starred only wrestlers and stuntmen there'd be dead civilian bodies left and right. Sounds like a four star movie to me.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #785
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

I suspect the third Avengers movie is where they just go all out and have like dozens of heroes on the team, either as temps or as full-timers to fight the massive battle you know they'll have to deal with. Like supernatural, aliens, non-humans, all that.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #786
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Again, true, but I'd hate if Marvel hindered itself because it was too afraid to tackle the challenge.

Granted, focus should still be on the core 6, but it's not unexpected that the team will grow and change from A2 to A3 and (hopefully, onward).

And, while I don't want Avengers films to be mindless action go-abouts, they are made to be more focused on the culmination of the individual films. So, a majority of characterization will always be in the solo flicks, with the team-up films more about teh team coming together to fight a fight unable to tackled alone. Avengers 2 should be a spectacle, hold nothing back.

Each added character should have relevance to the storyline, but I see no problem beefing up the roster for A2, even if it's just for this one sequel, with the core 6 being joined by others in A3.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #787
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
So a potential roster for A2.

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Hulk
Black Widow
Hawkeye
Falcon (possibly)
War Machine (possibly)
Ant-Man (possibly)
Guardians of the Galaxy (possibly)

Granted those last 4 are all just rumor/speculation. But with that many characters, especially fighting all-reality threatening Thanos....buckle up. Sounds pretty epic already.

Hopefully we'll have more locations than NYC and the Helicarrier, but it's safe to say Marvel's knocking it out of the park right now.
I think Black Panther, Ms Marvel or maybe even Vision have more of a shot than the 4 possibles on the list (outside cameos).

Old 10-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #788
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I think Black Panther, Ms Marvel or maybe even Vision have more of a shot than the 4 possibles on the list (outside cameos).
Maybe Ms. Marvel could appear due to her proximity to cosmic-stuff.

Sticking Panther in would be wayyy too much for a film. Just a reference to Wakanda would be sufficient.

And no Vision until after Ultron, and even then, I doubt we'll see Vision.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #789
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Eh more and more characters isn't exactly a great thing. One or two new ones but there's already plenty to explore with the current ones
Avengers didn't have a second to waste with all the characters it had. I can't imagine a film with more than one or two new ones.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #790
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Yes, but a great deal of the film dealt with the setting up of the team. True, they separated at the end, but the Avengers Initiative doesn't need to be re-introduced. Thanos comes in, team is back together.

And with BW & CA working together in CA2, they'll already have a working relationship. Audiences will already be familiar with IM, Thor, SHIELD (Fury&Hill&Hawkeye), and Hulk...all of whom have had several films to grow and evolve, etc. True, there should be storylines for them all, but if IM isn't the star again, that's fine by me. Or if I have to wait for Thor to have some huge inner "eureka" moment, I can wait for Thor 3.

I wouldn't be upset if just 1 or 2 characters are added, but I don't think that its a limit Marvel needs to adhere by (especially since all the heroes I suggested will have already been introduced to the audience, except Ant-Man)

Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #791
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Avengers didn't have a second to waste with all the characters it had. I can't imagine a film with more than one or two new ones.
Whedon already said that he had a full backstory built in for Hawkeye, and had to scrap the entire thing due to time constraints. Came up with the "possessed" arc to give Renner something to do.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #792
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Angry Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Whedon already said that he had a full backstory built in for Hawkeye, and had to scrap the entire thing due to time constraints. Came up with the "possessed" arc to give Renner something to do.
Dude, I made that faux-movie poster just for you...Scroll up and laugh, you pirate hooker!

Old 10-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #793
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Dude, I made that faux-movie poster just for you...Scroll up and laugh, you pirate hooker!
Saw it, laughed

Old 10-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #794
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:

Old 10-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #795
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Quote:
Which is great and all, but honestly, what we got from dialogue/interaction with BW was sufficient enough. Not every character needs a long, drawn-out backstory. We have no idea where Fury came from other than that he knew Howard Stark as a founder of SHIELD. BW's been in 2 MCU films and we still are only offered small clues of her past.

Falcon can appear through that, his history isn't all that exciting, especially if they go the Ultimate route with him. And Ant-Man too. Expand his story with his solo film. But initially, he can be introduced in A2 as a quirky scientist on call who developed/uses size-altering technology.

Characters like BP or Dr. Strange really benefit through their rich history, so their characters wouldn't work like Hawkeye or BW and can't just be added to the roster w/o explanation.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #796
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Which is great and all, but honestly, what we got from dialogue/interaction with BW was sufficient enough. Not every character needs a long, drawn-out backstory. We have no idea where Fury came from other than that he knew Howard Stark as a founder of SHIELD. BW's been in 2 MCU films and we still are only offered small clues of her past.

Falcon can appear through that, his history isn't all that exciting, especially if they go the Ultimate route with him. And Ant-Man too. Expand his story with his solo film. But initially, he can be introduced in A2 as a quirky scientist on call who developed/uses size-altering technology.

Characters like BP or Dr. Strange really benefit through their rich history, so their characters wouldn't work like Hawkeye or BW and can't just be added to the roster w/o explanation.

The question that comes up (and many Avengers are in a vague middle ground) is "does the character tend to function more in a solo capacity or in an Avenger capacity."

T'Challa's stays in the Avengers were always short. He seemed to stay for 5-10 issues, and then leave for a few years. Meanwhile, he's amassed several volumes worth of solo comics. That to me makes him a solo hero first and foremost.

Pym on the other hand, Appears in probably 300 issues of the Avengers, and only briefly had a solo run in the early 1960s. That's a team character.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #797
BobJM
Who's Bad?

I agree with your point regarding Black Panther. That's why I said he and Dr. Strange, for example, can't just be introduced as add-ons in the next big team-up film like Hawkeye.

But even if Pym is more of a team player rather than a solo hero, he's still getting a solo film, regardless of ppl's feelings on the matter, so his story can be explored in that while still allowing him to be introduced to audiences in A2 to build interest. He can have a minimal initial appearance (backstory-wise) because after A2 it'll only be a few months until he has his own film.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #798
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:

I was just pointing out how stuffed the film was, with 6 Avengers and 2 other major characters (Fury and Loki) who had been introduced elsewhere

I just don't see how people expect a film with 10 Avengers to work, on any level.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #799
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
I agree with your point regarding Black Panther. That's why I said he and Dr. Strange, for example, can't just be introduced as add-ons in the next big team-up film like Hawkeye.

But even if Pym is more of a team player rather than a solo hero, he's still getting a solo film, regardless of ppl's feelings on the matter, so his story can be explored in that while still allowing him to be introduced to audiences in A2 to build interest. He can have a minimal initial appearance (backstory-wise) because after A2 it'll only be a few months until he has his own film.
I think Pym can definitely carry a solo film, but I think once you get into sequels, it gets tough.

On the flipside you have characters like Doctor Strange and T'Challa who can carry trilogies, and characters like Vision, who despite being one of my favorite avengers, can't really carry a film.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #800
Chewy
REDACTED

Just make the Vision movie a romcom co-starring Scarlet Witch, with Wonder Man as his foil

Closed Thread