Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #51
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by socool View Post
This is a somewhat weird question, but does anyone know what the budget for the movie is? Or at least an estimated one? I can't see it being cheap. It's Superman. But I am curious. The movie seems to be coming along excellently and I want the visuals to be just as great.
Warners and Legendary want to spend less moola than they reportedly did on SR. I keep hearing an "official" production budget of $150M-$175M, although it could've gone up a lot more when Nolan and Goyer got involved.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 12-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #52
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't think there is any chance the budget for Superman is between 150 Million to 175 Million. They will tell you whatever is is they are going to tell you in regards to the "reported budget", but that means nothing to be honest.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #53
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I don't think there is any chance the budget for Superman is between 150 Million to 175 Million. They will tell you whatever is is they are going to tell you in regards to the "reported budget", but that means nothing to be honest.

Marvel lies all the time about the budgets for their films.

Snyder can get the most out of his budgets however. I think the production budget for this MOS film will be no more than 185 million. IMO

Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #54
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Marvel lies all the time about the budgets for their films.

Snyder can get the most out of his budgets however. I think the production budget for this MOS film will be no more than 185 million. IMO
I agree with you.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #55
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

I just saw the "The Dark Knights Rises Trailer", and I have to say. Whatever Zack does with MOS, it just won't compare to Nolan's vision in filmmaking

I'm praying that MOS will be as good as either TDK or TDKR (excluding BB)

Old 12-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #56
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR View Post
I just saw the "The Dark Knights Rises Trailer", and I have to say. Whatever Zack does with MOS, it just won't compare to Nolan's vision in filmmaking

I'm quite sure that MOS will be a very good movie

Old 12-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #57
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:

1. We haven't seen anything substantial, let alone clips of MOS to even have reason to start comparing the two films/franchises...

2. If it makes you or anyone else feel better, Nolan was somewhat involved in the story telling part (I think) for MOS...

3. It's unfair to compare the two when MOS is supposedly the first of a franchise, whereas TDKR is geared as the LAST of an already established and successful one. That'd be like comparing Batman Begins to Return of the King.

4. Given the amount of talent involved in this film, I honestly don't think that some of these actors would have gotten involved if they didn't think that the story was good at least.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #58
Marvin
Side-Kick

Nolans "vision" has admittedly come along way since that scene in begins with Wayne's dead parents or Falcone in the alley(sheesh).

But to say Snyder's vision won't compare? Especially considering all we've seen on DRK is a visual trailer...I'm willing to bet the farm that Snyders trailer will look just as in not "stronger" than the looks of Nolan's trailer.

To be quite honest I'm loving what I'm seeing of DKR but there is a lot of hype feeding this feeling too. There are people citing the Bane prologue as some of the greatest action and or the best 6mins they've ever seen on film? I feel like the exact footage by any other name and a more objective response would be warranted. If say, that was the new Bond villain and that was a scene out of the new Bond the response would probably be a more grounded. But that's all speculation. And truthfully Nolan has put the work in to get the hype. I still remember the mostly luckstar response to all the BB footage at the time. If they released the BB trailers now I'm sure most people would scream their heads off. (especially that one scene with bats hanging on the side of the building in the rain).

I have faith Snyders superman trailer will be an objective hit. That's what he does.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #59
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
There are people citing the Bane prologue as some of the greatest action and or the best 6mins they've ever seen on film?
I thought it was ridiculous too (when I saw the bootleg) until I saw in on the big Imax screen. It's utterly overwhelming. it can overtake your reason.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #60
GreenKToo
In the fire

I expect to be blown away by MOS, both visually and mentally, not either or.
I don't want to just like it ( like I did the other superman film) I want to love it and instantly want to see it again.
Anything less than that is fail for me..

Old 12-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #61
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
I thought it was ridiculous too (when I saw the bootleg) until I saw in on the big Imax screen. It's utterly overwhelming. it can overtake your reason.
I look forward to seeing it for myself too.

My thing with imax is that I was was overwhelmed with the very opening shot of TDK. It was crazy weird but at the same time, that was the very first time I'd seen anything like that. As the movie wore on I honestly didn't even notice the other "spectacular" imax segments. Truly. I couldn't really tell you what they were.

Time will tell.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #62
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

MOS will be more action oriented for sure.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #63
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:

Hmmm.... Man of Steel has:
A story written by C. Nolan and David Goyer (The Dark Knight Trilogy, Inception).
A script written by J. Nolan and David Goyer (The Dark Knight Trilogy).
Henry Cavill as Superman (The Tudors, Immortals)
Michael Shannon as Zod (Revolutionary Road, Boardwalk Empire, Take Shelter)
Amy Adams as Lois Lane (The Fighter)
And is directed by possibly the greatest visual director around, Zack Snyder (Watchmen, 300).

How exactly did you come to that conclusion?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #64
KRIM
Banned User

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...edium=twitter#
Quote:
There are few people in Hollywood who know more about special effects than Joe Letteri – which is probably why he’s earned five Oscars in the past eight years, and worked in some capacity on almost every major blockbuster released in Hollywood. Predictably, Letteri has a full slate in front of him as well, with two “Hobbit” movies, an “Avatar” sequel, and a potential “Rise of the Planet of the Apes” follow-up forthcoming. But during a recent conversation with the effects guru (in which he also discussed working with Andy Serkis on the first 'Apes'; read that here), Letteri revealed that he’s also working on Zack Snyder’s upcoming Superman film “Man of Steel.” And despite reports that the title character would be brought to life (so to speak) largely via CGI, Letteri told The Playlist that Snyder has been focusing heavily on practical rather than digital effects.

“Zack’s going for pretty much everything in-camera as much as he can,” Letteri said in an interview Monday in New York. “I mean, the reason to think about Superman in CGI, you don’t need him full CGI as a character, because he’s basically a full person. But you just don’t want the flying scenes to look like he’s on a wire. So [the question is] how do you use CG to make that happen, and that’s still kind of being played with right now.”

Several years ago before the release of “The Matrix Reloaded,the Wachowskis argued that their aerial sequences would show a human character flying in the most accurate way possible – which, at that time, they probably did. (Certainly the absence of wires and rear projection helped their cause.) But with “Man of Steel” no doubt featuring some of its own air time, Letteri suggested that there are still advances left to be made in that particular area. “I think it could still be refined,” Letteri said. “Because there’s always room for interpretation there. The idea of a human flying, because you can’t actually tell how they’re powering themselves, leaves it open to trying different things.”

While Letteri didn’t reveal exactly how they were depicting Superman’s flying sequences, he said that they were primarily focusing on what was in the script and what Snyder wanted rather than referring to the decades upon decades of comic book images they could potentially draw upon as a reference point. “That’s completely story-driven,” he confessed. “That’s going to depend on your shot and your composition, and the performance, and in that case, that’s kind of Zack’s call – what is he looking for there?”

As its (undeservedly) maligned predecessor, Bryan Singer’s “Superman Returns” was dismissed as an emotional reinvention of Superman that was too loyal to the Donner films of the 1980s, and perhaps more importantly, featured too little action except for when the character was lifting enormous pieces of rock. Letteri revealed that although the film will feature more action than its predecessor, Snyder was still focusing on character over pure spectacle. “There is a bit of that to set it up and to kick it off, but actually it feels like it’s more character-driven, yeah.”
WETA. SUPERMAN.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #65
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

That was a great read!

Old 12-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #66
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Freakin'. Sweet.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #67
Mako
Galactic Crusier

Awesome read.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #68
JAK®
Upstart

Quote:

It won't for you, because you've already made your mind up.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #69
Marvin
Side-Kick

Weta has always for me always fallen short in terms of pure photo realism when compared to the work of ILM.

They do other stuff well but that one aspect always falls short.
It maybe because they've dealt with more organic elements or perhaps because the films they have done haven't had the more contrast based lighting that some of ILMs films have.

That being said you tend to hear more praise than criticism about their work.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #70
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

That was all really positive and reassuring stuff to read

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 12-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #71
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Pretty sweet. Hoping to see some innovative FX for the flying sequences.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #72
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Weta has always for me always fallen short in terms of pure photo realism when compared to the work of ILM.

It maybe because they've dealt with more organic elements or perhaps because the films they have done haven't had the more contrast based lighting that some of ILMs films have.

WETA AND Digital Domain working on MOS=

Old 12-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #73
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

That really was a great read. Really looking forward to the flying sequences. Thanks for posting KRIM.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #74
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

ILM has had their fair shares of producing crap. Indy 4 KOTCS was just terrible.

Maybe it was just the way they used their CGI within the context of the lousy story though?

Old 12-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #75
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
ILM has had their fair shares of producing crap. Indy 4 KOTCS was just terrible.

Maybe it was just the way they used their CGI within the context of the lousy story though?
lol no.
If anything story helps.
points to the new apes movie.