The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
The Infernal
Life's End Boss
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,634
Default Snake Eye's portrayal

I'm just wondering from the trailer if Snake Eyes will get a bit more character development in this one. It looks like he takes on an apprentice and then there's the bit where he's locked up by Cobra (does he get freed by the Joes or does he break out himself?). Plus in the first one it felt as though his story was mostly relayed through flashbacks and he felt like a background character at times.

I think part of the problem the people making the movie might believe is him being a mute ninja and that's why they treated him the way he did in the first one. I wouldn't mind if in this one there is more character present in his portrayal.

And one other thing. Would it be a sin or out of the ordinary to have him show his face at times in the movie? I was never the biggest follower of G.I. Joe, so I don't personally know how that's been handled in other media, but I think it would help on screen to help show characterisation.

__________________
Lady Luck is smiling at me. She knows something I don't.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
CholoWithCheese
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: THE 808
Posts: 13
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

As long as he doesn't have lips, then I'm good with it.

From the looks of it, GI Joe 2 is a ninja fest.

CholoWithCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
jacobed
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,646
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

which is good, the ninjas were the best part of the first one. They should never show his face nor allow him talk that just wouldn't be right. From what Chu has said he definitely has a bigger part in this movie than the first one.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:29 AM   #4
cryptic name
No Limits
 
cryptic name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 8,930
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

Love the update of Snake Eyes look for the new movie, and love that Ray Park is back. I thought the trailer was actually pretty hot and can't wait to see a rematch between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow.

__________________
"All I really need to know is this: Batman always comes back, bigger and better, shiny and new. Batman never dies. It never ends. It probably never will."

I believe in Batfleck
cryptic name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:11 AM   #5
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,935
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

I'd like it if he actually had a romance with someone in this movie. Sick and tired of **** like, "you can't have a mute have a romantic love interest."

Sounds like bad uncreative writers to me. Scarlett's out, but I'd be cool with a Jinx romance considering Snake Eyes was shafted the first time around.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #6
The Infernal
Life's End Boss
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,634
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

I think what made it worse was that the film makers seemed to heavily imply they would play up the Scarlett/Snake eyes romance in some of the interviews they gave and we all know how that panned out.

I just think that many Hollywood writers are just lazy when it comes to writing something outside of the norm like a mute character. I mean it's hardly impossible to write a few decent scenes where you see him show some character without resorting to charades.

__________________
Lady Luck is smiling at me. She knows something I don't.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
Snikt
Side-Kick
 
Snikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,436
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

From the look of the trailer, I'm wondering if Snake Eyes will even be part of the Joes. It almost looks like he's doing his own thing in this film; two different storylines.

Could be wrong. And as much as I don't care for Channing Tatum, I hope Duke isn't killed. He's always been one of my favorite Joes from when I was young. Always liked, Duke, Flint, Gen. Hawk and Snake Eyes.

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Zanham
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 417
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I'm just wondering from the trailer if Snake Eyes will get a bit more character development in this one. It looks like he takes on an apprentice and then there's the bit where he's locked up by Cobra (does he get freed by the Joes or does he break out himself?). Plus in the first one it felt as though his story was mostly relayed through flashbacks and he felt like a background character at times.

I think part of the problem the people making the movie might believe is him being a mute ninja and that's why they treated him the way he did in the first one. I wouldn't mind if in this one there is more character present in his portrayal.

And one other thing. Would it be a sin or out of the ordinary to have him show his face at times in the movie? I was never the biggest follower of G.I. Joe, so I don't personally know how that's been handled in other media, but I think it would help on screen to help show characterisation.
Snake Eye's, although one of the original characters, was never really the focal point. The 80's cartoon and even in the comic books, the focus point was really more on the Cobra's and the G.I. Joe leadership in my opinion. Granted, Snake Eyes was a part of that leadership but his inability to speak limited what he could do. I actually like the way Snake Eyes was handled in the first film because it is G.I. Joe and not Snake Eyes the Movie .

I also didn't care for the flashbacks but that may have been because they were inaccurate from the original material and not really necessary.

As for the showing of his face, it could happen briefly but I don't believe the cartoon ever showed it and I believe it was only shown sporadically in the comic books.

He is horribly disfigured:


Here's a pic of a Snake Eyes toy I ran across which I never knew existed:

Zanham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
The Infernal
Life's End Boss
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,634
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanham View Post
Snake Eye's, although one of the original characters, was never really the focal point. The 80's cartoon and even in the comic books, the focus point was really more on the Cobra's and the G.I. Joe leadership in my opinion. Granted, Snake Eyes was a part of that leadership but his inability to speak limited what he could do. I actually like the way Snake Eyes was handled in the first film because it is G.I. Joe and not Snake Eyes the Movie .

I also didn't care for the flashbacks but that may have been because they were inaccurate from the original material and not really necessary.

As for the showing of his face, it could happen briefly but I don't believe the cartoon ever showed it and I believe it was only shown sporadically in the comic books.

He is horribly disfigured:

Here's a pic of a Snake Eyes toy I ran across which I never knew existed
You've missed the point. I'm not saying he should have a staring role, which is what you're portraying it as. I'm saying that I would like to see him have better character development than he had in the last film, not that he should be the main character. If you like the way he was handled in the movie then good for you.

Also the disfigured face is just one version of the character (plus I think that figure may be a custom job, not a real one). The movie doesn't have to follow any particular run on the comics or the cartoon.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

__________________
Lady Luck is smiling at me. She knows something I don't.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
mr. peasant
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,932
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

Actually, Snake Eyes is explicitly scarred in multiple versions of the character - from the comic, original RAH toyline (inspired from the comic), the Sigma Six toyline (and cartoon), the Resolute universe and the Renegades universe. Basically, him being scarred is part of the fan's general perception of it and in all recent iterations of the character. The only one not to make direct reference to it is the Sunbow cartoon from the 80s. That said, seeing as how the movie-verse decided to forgo Duke's blond-ness...

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #11
The Infernal
Life's End Boss
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,634
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

From what little I've gathered he is scarred in various versions, but they seem to differ sometimes on how scarred. Some have him as only having a couple of lines, one coming down from his lips and one across one of his eyes (though it's unclear if he's meant to be blind in that eye because it's such a slight scar and it's only visible on the skin around it). They need not go with the heavily scarred version unless they want to.

Though even if they did that still doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't show his face. They burned Destro's face off and showed CC's scarred face already with the first one.

Having said that I should point out that my original point in the first post was mainly about Snake Eyes having a better characterisation on screen. I'm not saying he needs to be unmasked, although I believe it could help. That was more of a secondary question.

__________________
Lady Luck is smiling at me. She knows something I don't.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.

Last edited by The Infernal; 01-17-2012 at 05:31 PM.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
DaveMoral
Side-Kick
 
DaveMoral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,640
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

Early 90s comics paid a whole lot of attentiin to Snake-Eyes, in particular after Storm Shadow joined the Joes and later when the Ninja Force was done. I'd like to see Storm Shadow find out the truth and reforge his brotherhood with Snake-Eyes. They've always been my favorite characters.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,740
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMoral View Post
Early 90s comics paid a whole lot of attentiin to Snake-Eyes, in particular after Storm Shadow joined the Joes and later when the Ninja Force was done. I'd like to see Storm Shadow find out the truth and reforge his brotherhood with Snake-Eyes. They've always been my favorite characters.
I'd actually love it if it was discovered by SS in this movie that Zartan was the one who murdered the master and SS chased him away instead of running away.

SS doesnt state in the first movie that HE killed the master, he simply says during their fight "When our master was killed, you took a vow of silence, now you will die without a word."

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #14
Zanham
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 417
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
You've missed the point. I'm not saying he should have a staring role, which is what you're portraying it as. I'm saying that I would like to see him have better character development than he had in the last film, not that he should be the main character. If you like the way he was handled in the movie then good for you.

Also the disfigured face is just one version of the character (plus I think that figure may be a custom job, not a real one). The movie doesn't have to follow any particular run on the comics or the cartoon.
Don't get all hibbity bibbity.


You likely will not see much further Snake Eyes development unless there is a stand-alone Snake Eyes movie, much like what was done with the Wolverine movie. The Snake Eye's background story is actually really good, if they follow the original material. I believe it includes the likes of Storm Shadow, Stalker, Destro, Baroness, and Cobra Commander.

Zanham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #15
The Infernal
Life's End Boss
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,634
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanham View Post
Don't get all hibbity bibbity.


You likely will not see much further Snake Eyes development unless there is a stand-alone Snake Eyes movie, much like what was done with the Wolverine movie. The Snake Eye's background story is actually really good, if they follow the original material. I believe it includes the likes of Storm Shadow, Stalker, Destro, Baroness, and Cobra Commander.
Maybe I misread the tone of your post, but to me it read as if there was no other way they could go with Snake Eyes.

Also now that you mention a spin-off I don't think that's likely. I don't think the franchise is big enough yet to warrant a spin-off (even if GI Joe 2 does really well). It will be quite a while before any character gets a solo movie.

__________________
Lady Luck is smiling at me. She knows something I don't.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #16
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,935
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

In the Devil's Due comics which was set after the original 80's and 90's comics, Snake Eyes facial scars were healed and his face was normal again.

There is actually no indication in Sigma Six that he was scarred. When part of his mask came off it looked as if he had blonde hair and blue eyes but we could not tell if there were scars.

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator
 
Hunter Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Camp Manuel
Posts: 140,163
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=88032


__________________
thinkmcflythink.com
Movie fans, hop in your Delorean and check it out!

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
The Infernal
Life's End Boss
 
The Infernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 6,634
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

The costume is certainly much better, but there's still some things that are a little off. I just can't put my finger on it though.

__________________
Lady Luck is smiling at me. She knows something I don't.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #19
S. Grundy
Side-Kick
 
S. Grundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,883
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

I take the exec that wanted the mouth on the mask is no longer working at Paramount. Good to see they got rid of it.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
TheVileOne
Side-Kick
 
TheVileOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 35,935
Default Re: Snake Eye's portrayal

It was also the costume's designer fault. He said something akin to, "We wanted to show he was still human." WTF does that even mean?

__________________
"This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . Straight Edge."

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.